Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
but that may be what we need to pay if we are going to go further

Then we don’t go further. I’ve said all along that we would mostly nibble at the fringes. If we are going to get into the 2nd + two 3rds category of trade compensation, we may as well go two 2nds + three 3rds and get players of more star profile that would make a higher impact.

The Kingston trades were clearly based on a disgruntled player being traded and replaced at around same cost with same type of player. Same comp in, same comp out.

This highlights a lot of what I have said in general about trades. Don’t look to try to trade a player for a player. Look to get the pick assets and then flip the picks For the player you want. My problem player for your problem player rarely is available.

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's lead 1-0

GOAL
#23 Will Gerrior (11) scores. PENALTY SHOT
1st 1:35

1-2

Niagara's first was another penalty shot

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is noticeable that Barlas is out of the lineup. He is a steady force off the wing, especially on the defensive side. Sirman is looking decent for his first game since April. I think I would like a 3rd line of Lawrence, Sirman, and Barlas.

The lack of centre depth is really showing. They really need the centre to help shift the wingers back on the wing.

Nagara is playing well tonight. They skate well and the handful of players they have that are impactful are all on their game tonight.

Some weird penalty calls but the 67’s are setting themselves up for those calls.

Let’s see what unfolds in the 3rd. Donoso will need to shut the door the rest of the way.

Reactions: three dog night

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Team came out not ready to play, took undisciplined penalties and could not complete passes. Kelly is completely lost and Horner just should not be in this league. Give Niagara credit, they came out fast, used their speed had the 67s on the run from the begiñning. Once Niagara did that we were all out of whack.

Definitely need a 2C to get some consistency in the lineup and to provide our scorers with the ability to use their skills. I thought Sirman looked good for his 1st game this season.

Glad to get to the trade deadline so we can at least see management's plan for the rest of this season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Team came out not ready to play, took undisciplined penalties and could not complete passes. Kelly is completely lost and Horner just should not be in this league. Give Niagara credit, they came out fast, used their speed had the 67s on the run from the begiñning. Once Niagara did that we were all out of whack.

Definitely need a 2C to get some consistency in the lineup and to provide our scorers with the ability to use their skills. I thought Sirman looked good for his 1st game this season.

Glad to get to the trade deadline so we can at least see management's plan for the rest of this season.

The ‘67s got out to 7-0 SOG, if they scored one in addition to the PS it’s a different game

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
The ‘67s got out to 7-0 SOG, if they scored one in addition to the PS it’s a different game
The big factor is If. We turn it on early in a number of games but we still do not have enough finishing touch. The PP never really got untracked last night. 7-0 SOG early and 43-24 the rest of the way in favour of Niagara.

Reactions: dirty12

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oof - that's an ugly one. The good news is that Dave Cameron coached teams rarely have two turd games in a row. The weekend will be interesting in that typically one team or the other has mentally checked out for the holidays and are already thinking about that nice ten day break at home. It leads to some weird results, like you saw last night...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wouldn’t worry about this one game too much. Niagara played really well. Sometimes when one team, regardless of how poor the team is, plays really well and the other team simply isn’t prepared for the pace of the game, especially on the road, these sorts of games happen. Even with all of that and some questionable penalty calls and non-calls that didn’t seem to be in consistent balance of application, the 67’s still managed to score 5 goals. That in itself is an achievement for this team, especially lately. We definitely don’t have a high scoring team.

Additionally, I think this outcome is indicative of what happens when we don’t get the above average goaltending we have managed to get through the first half of this season. I am not blaming goaltenders but we’ve seen much better performances that have provided much different results. This highlights what some of us have been saying about the “eye test” not matching the results. Without the stellar goaltending, we are probably just an average team.

We saw some interesting developments last night. With Uronoen, Barlas, and Dever all out of the lineup with injury, we were unable to properly make three forward lines that any of us would consider capable. Korbler started on a line with Gardiner and Gerrior. Whitehead started on the wing with Lawrence and Kelly. Sirman took over for Korbler. The third line ended up rotating around a bit but Whitehead wasn’t playing much after the first period.

I think that highlights what Beast has been pointing out (depth at forward) as well as what most of us have pointed out (Depth at centre). I think Lawrence has been a good pickup because of the price we paid. But, honest question, if we had paid a 2nd and 5th, would we be happy with his production? I wouldn’t be. Is this a team that should be looking at and assessing results or should we be assessing based more on acquisition cost? In other words, are we happy with an OA centre scoring at .57 ppg because he only cost an 8th round pick? Or, are we unhappy with an OA centre scoring at .57 ppg because he is an OA and we need more production from that roster spot? See where I am going with this?

As @analyser stated, we need to see what management’s focus is for this team going into the deadline. IF they truly want to make a run, we may need three OA’s, not just one. No disrespect to either Donoso or Lawrence. We can’t have an OA backup goalie sitting on the bench. We also can’t have an OA centre that doesn’t produce at or at least close to a ppg. We also can’t have an Import relegated to either the 4th line or the press box plus another one out for the season. We also don’t want to be in a situation where we are simply buying ourselves out of a problem. If we are buying, we are buying into contention. There is a difference between the two.

This may be one of the toughest positions Boyd has been in. Revisionist history aside, how interesting would it have been had Ottawa not been a buyer last year and we went into this deadline loaded for bear? Sometimes timing is everything. Is the timing right?

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Additionally, I think this outcome is indicative of what happens when we don’t get the above average goaltending we have managed to get through the first half of this season. I am not blaming goaltenders but we’ve seen much better performances that have provided much different results. This highlights what some of us have been saying about the “eye test” not matching the results. Without the stellar goaltending, we are probably just an average team.
I am beginning to think that Donoso doesn't like playing when he has someone pushing him. Mack goes down to injury and Donoso comes in and plays lights out. Mack comes back in and Donoso plays just so-so. It has happened before as well.
We saw some interesting developments last night. With Uronoen, Barlas, and Dever all out of the lineup with injury, we were unable to properly make three forward lines that any of us would consider capable. Korbler started on a line with Gardiner and Gerrior. Whitehead started on the wing with Lawrence and Kelly. Sirman took over for Korbler. The third line ended up rotating around a bit but Whitehead wasn’t playing much after the first period.
Depth. Been an issue all year. We have a couple of players sick, or injured and we can't ice a full forward line up. Sad when a defenseman, who hasn't played in seven months, comes in and is one of your best forwards.
I think that highlights what Beast has been pointing out (depth at forward) as well as what most of us have pointed out (Depth at centre). I think Lawrence has been a good pickup because of the price we paid. But, honest question, if we had paid a 2nd and 5th, would we be happy with his production? I wouldn’t be. Is this a team that should be looking at and assessing results or should we be assessing based more on acquisition cost? In other words, are we happy with an OA centre scoring at .57 ppg because he only cost an 8th round pick? Or, are we unhappy with an OA centre scoring at .57 ppg because he is an OA and we need more production from that roster spot? See where I am going with this?

An NHL drafted OA centre should be producing more.

As @analyser stated, we need to see what management’s focus is for this team going into the deadline. IF they truly want to make a run, we may need three OA’s, not just one. No disrespect to either Donoso or Lawrence. We can’t have an OA backup goalie sitting on the bench. We also can’t have an OA centre that doesn’t produce at or at least close to a ppg. We also can’t have an Import relegated to either the 4th line or the press box plus another one out for the season. We also don’t want to be in a situation where we are simply buying ourselves out of a problem. If we are buying, we are buying into contention. There is a difference between the two.

This may be one of the toughest positions Boyd has been in. Revisionist history aside, how interesting would it have been had Ottawa not been a buyer last year and we went into this deadline loaded for bear? Sometimes timing is everything. Is the timing right?
Last year was the year to go for it. Boyd just didn't go far enough.

An import forward, even a 17 year old should be showing more than what Korbler is showing.

We won't go far with Marrelli / Ewles as 3-4 and Smyth / (Brady, Deitsch, Horner) as 5-6. I love Marrelli, but man Ewles isn't it.

We have a roster of 3rd and 4th line forwards right now. They are playing above where they should be located and it shows.

And I think the biggest thing is we are missing is Dagenais coaching the defense. That can't be said enough.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It is noticeable that Barlas is out of the lineup. He is a steady force off the wing, especially on the defensive side. Sirman is looking decent for his first game since April. I think I would like a 3rd line of Lawrence, Sirman, and Barlas.

The lack of centre depth is really showing. They really need the centre to help shift the wingers back on the wing.

Nagara is playing well tonight. They skate well and the handful of players they have that are impactful are all on their game tonight.

Some weird penalty calls but the 67’s are setting themselves up for those calls.

Let’s see what unfolds in the 3rd. Donoso will need to shut the door the rest of the way.
Yes I do agree about Barlas he's turned into a serviceable/ reliable winger who won't hurt us defensively when on the ice. I would also mention that we miss Dever who also gives us speed/compete and depth if not as much offense as we would like. He also is sound defensively. So those two if they will not make you win, will not make you lose which is what you need from third liners. Hilton, Kelly and Korbler are just not there yet to eat up those minutes. As you said Sirman will help though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am beginning to think that Donoso doesn't like playing when he has someone pushing him. Mack goes down to injury and Donoso comes in and plays lights out. Mack comes back in and Donoso plays just so-so. It has happened before as well.

Depth. Been an issue all year. We have a couple of players sick, or injured and we can't ice a full forward line up. Sad when a defenseman, who hasn't played in seven months, comes in and is one of your best forwards.

An import forward, even a 17 year old should be showing more than what Korbler is showing.

We won't go far with Marrelli / Ewles as 3-4 and Smyth / (Brady, Deitsch, Horner) as 5-6. I love Marrelli, but man Ewles isn't it.

We have a roster of 3rd and 4th line forwards right now. They are playing above where they should be located and it shows.

And I think the biggest thing is we are missing is Dagenais coaching the defense. That can't be said enough.

Definitely a lot of strategic decisions are required.

Yes I do agree about Barlas he's turned into a serviceable/ reliable winger who won't hurt us defensively when on the ice. I would also mention that we miss Dever who also gives us speed/compete and depth if not as much offense as we would like. He also is sound defensively. So those two if they will not make you win, will not make you lose which is what you need from third liners. Hilton, Kelly and Korbler are just not there yet to eat up those minutes. As you said Sirman will help though.

I sort of disagree. I agree we can have a player that doesn’t produce offensively on the 3rd line but not if it is a championship calibre team. Those players need to be on the 4th line. Roster construction, is important. We all know what the components should be. I highlighted that in a previous post. We cannot be loyal to existing players if the goal is to win a League Title. IMO, we cannot have Dever in the top9. If Dever is an element of speed and defence (Penalty Killing), he can perform that role from the 4th line and be used as a player that replaces a higher player on the roster during injury or misconduct penalty issues Etc. Additionally, we cannot have a 3rd line centre that isn’t at least close to a point per game. IMO, Barlas is solid enough as a point producer to play a top 9 role because he has some physical attributes that the smaller Dever doesn’t have. Barlas is a more well rounded winger.

To me, a 4th line could be Sirman-Whitehead-Dever. Both Sirman and Dever can move up to higher lines when there are absences. We cannot be in a situation where projected press box players are currently on the 4th line be the players that push up the roster as replacements.

From my perspective, that means we need two Centres and one winger to fill the gaps. That is assuming the goal is to win a championship. If we aren’t prepared to do that, I’m not sure we are truly prepared to make a true run.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Good points and summary. Which brings me to my personal conclusion about this team. Reading your comments, OMG'S and analyser we all seem to agree that this team despite it's record does not meet the eye test. Our record is to a large degree a product of goaltending, a weak conference and gelling earlier and now the league is catching up. We have actually been pretty bad imo in the past month. Now my point. We've been going back and forth on this board about is this a go for it year or next year. To me it is very clear it is NOT the year. Too many flaws on this team to be able to trade into a championship. So do a limited sale..Donoso for sure, Stoney ( sniff) and Smyth/Horner. Next year we start with an elite goalie, three top four D and I expect to see Mews and Marelli as dominant. We also have a very solid core of forwards Pinelli, Gardiner, Foster, Gerrior, Dever Barlas to build around. Reload on the imports with 18/19 y.o. and then trade for the missing pieces. Bdfore domebody says next year more teams will contend in the east so it will be harder, I think that's a silly way to look at it. Bottom line your team has to be ready. Last point though I would still add a cost effective center this year to balance the lineup so players can develop in their optimal positions for next year

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Definitely a lot of strategic decisions are required.

I sort of disagree. I agree we can have a player that doesn’t produce offensively on the 3rd line but not if it is a championship calibre team. Those players need to be on the 4th line. Roster construction, is important. We all know what the components should be. I highlighted that in a previous post. We cannot be loyal to existing players if the goal is to win a League Title. IMO, we cannot have Dever in the top9. If Dever is an element of speed and defence (Penalty Killing), he can perform that role from the 4th line and be used as a player that replaces a higher player on the roster during injury or misconduct penalty issues Etc. Additionally, we cannot have a 3rd line centre that isn’t at least close to a point per game. IMO, Barlas is solid enough as a point producer to play a top 9 role because he has some physical attributes that the smaller Dever doesn’t have. Barlas is a more well rounded winger.

To me, a 4th line could be Sirman-Whitehead-Dever. Both Sirman and Dever can move up to higher lines when there are absences. We cannot be in a situation where projected press box players are currently on the 4th line be the players that push up the roster as replacements.

From my perspective, that means we need two Centres and one winger to fill the gaps. That is assuming the goal is to win a championship. If we aren’t prepared to do that, I’m not sure we are truly prepared to make a true run.
Guess I wasn't clear. Of course our third line needs to produce to a degree and I do think that Barlas/Dever as 19y.o. ( with whatever center) would give us decent production . I just meant that it only needs to hold it's own and ideally be a shutdown unit also. If you have two elite lines if should be enough.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good points and summary. Which brings me to my personal conclusion about this team. Reading your comments, OMG'S and analyser we all seem to agree that this team despite it's record does not meet the eye test. Our record is to a large degree a product of goaltending, a weak conference and gelling earlier and now the league is catching up. We have actually been pretty bad imo in the past month. Now my point. We've been going back and forth on this board about is this a go for it year or next year. To me it is very clear it is NOT the year. Too many flaws on this team to be able to trade into a championship. So do a limited sale..Donoso for sure, Stoney ( sniff) and Smyth/Horner. Next year we start with an elite goalie, three top four D and I expect to see Mews and Marelli as dominant. We also have a very solid core of forwards Pinelli, Gardiner, Foster, Gerrior, Dever Barlas to build around. Reload on the imports with 18/19 y.o. and then trade for the missing pieces. Bdfore domebody says next year more teams will contend in the east so it will be harder, I think that's a silly way to look at it. Bottom line your team has to be ready. Last point though I would still add a cost effective center this year to balance the lineup so players can develop in their optimal positions for next year

I think there is a possibility for a hybrid option. What do I mean by that? Well, we focus on next year’s needs when looking at options this year. Sometimes if we fill needs on next years roster, it helps fill in some gaps on this years roster. Niagara did a half decent job at that last year. For example, they made a couple seller moves and then acquired Lavoie. I would argue they paid too much for him but that is the type of move that would make sense for Ottawa.

In that case, the goal would be to move a player like Stonehouse but instead of placing the picks we get him back in the cabinet for a rainy day, we flip them pretty much right away for an 18 year old Centre.

Another option is to look at the Import situation. If we are not serious about Korbler then see if there is an 18 year old out there that we are certain that will return. Release Korbler and acquire his replacement.

Between those two moves, if we acquire a centre and a D-Man capable of playing on the 2nd pairing, we still fill in a couple gaps where we are exposed this year and those gaps being filled carry over to next year’s roster. Less heavy lifting in the offseason.

Then, if we want to acquire an OA forward to help the team this year, we can go do that if one were available at a decent cost.

We may be in an enviable situation this season. There loooks to be a lot of teams sitting there a t least willing to nibble at the fringes. Ottawa has quite a few players that suit that sort of appetite. Smyth, Ewles, Donoso, Sirman, and dever all seem to fit that category. These aren’t guys you trade and make out like bandits but you can get back some depth picks to help out later. Maybe those picks are the ones you use to roll the die on NCAA commits? Maybe picks you use to sweeten a trade? Either way, if those players don’t seem to fit on next year’s roster, then move them now while there may be a market for them.. Give them a spot to play. Win-Win.

Guess I wasn't clear. Of course our third line needs to produce to a degree and I do think that Barlas/Dever as 19y.o. ( with whatever center) would give us decent production . I just meant that it only needs to hold it's own and ideally be a shutdown unit also. If you have two elite lines if should be enough.

We don’t have elite lines. Because of that, we need a third line that contributes. We had similar conversations last eyar regarding the Petes. They had the third line as mostly a shut down line but they could do that because they had the top two lines that were very strong. They also had a strong player (Stillman) on that 3rd line. Someone to anchor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad