Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They are allowing teams an extended period of time to get things organized and work out any kinks they may have with Covid protocols etc. There has been a high turnover of staff, coaches and players so its not a typical situation. The league got this right IMO.

I think the extended pre-season schedule is a very good idea considering the jump from bantam to major A for the ‘05 born

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think the extended pre-season schedule is a very good idea considering the jump from bantam to major A for the ‘05 born
I wouldn't expect the number of 16 y.o. in the league to be any different than any other year, there won't be a lot of them and they will be 4th line players for the most part. The only real difference across the league will be the loss of the 19 year olds who have jumped to the AHL. Their return would have improved the game for a few teams, and the deals at the deadline may not be blockbusters as we have become accustom to seeing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wouldn't expect the number of 16 y.o. in the league to be any different than any other year, there won't be a lot of them and they will be 4th line players for the most part. The only real difference across the league will be the loss of the 19 year olds who have jumped to the AHL. Their return would have improved the game for a few teams, and the deals at the deadline may not be blockbusters as we have become accustom to seeing.

If anything, it will be less 16 year olds. I think, with so many rookies, teams may choose to go with older local rookies to help stabilize their teams as opposed to trying to focus on developing as many as 10-12 players all at the same time.

I could see the 16 year olds playing more Tier II and Midget this season where they are likely to get much more attention.

It is going to be really hard for teams like the 67’s to have 10 players or more that have never played in the league.

And there won’t be enough 19 year old AHLers to make any impact. Only a small handful of teams will lose a player. Ottawa, for example, won’t be impacted by this.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I don’t disagree. What will be different is players (other than odd ‘exemption’) making the jump from bantam to the OHL. It is very beneficial for them to have a few more exhibition games to get up to speed while some vets are at pro camps and/or just sitting while final roster cuts are to be made.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If anything, it will be less 16 year olds. I think, with so many rookies, teams may choose to go with older local rookies to help stabilize their teams as opposed to trying to focus on developing as many as 10-12 players all at the same time.

I could see the 16 year olds playing more Tier II and Midget this season where they are likely to get much more attention.

It is going to be really hard for teams like the 67’s to have 10 players or more that have never played in the league.

And there won’t be enough 19 year old AHLers to make any impact. Only a small handful of teams will lose a player. Ottawa, for example, won’t be impacted by this.

Agree with everything that you wrote except I think 8 or 9 teams will be affected by those going to AHL early
Only 3 in the East,Sudbury with Byfield, Kingston with Wisdom even though he is hurt now,and Barrie with Forester.
In the West,6 teams,Erie,Drysdale, SSM,ORourke, Kitchener Sebrango, Windsor Foudy,Saginaw Perfetti and Sarnia Perrault.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree with everything that you wrote except I think 8 or 9 teams will be affected by those going to AHL early
Only 3 in the East,Sudbury with Byfield, Kingston with Wisdom even though he is hurt now,and Barrie with Forester.
In the West,6 teams,Erie,Drysdale, SSM,ORourke, Kitchener Sebrango, Windsor Foudy,Saginaw Perfetti and Sarnia Perrault.

One player on as many as nine teams is not overly affecting the roster structure or the number of 16 year olds in the league. This is not a mass exodus. Teams have players playing in the NHL every year. This year, many of the players that would have made the NHL jump will make the AHL jump because it is better to be int he AHL than the NHL for most of them. So, out of your nine, probably 4 or 5 would be gone anyway.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
One player on as many as nine teams is not overly affecting the roster structure or the number of 16 year olds in the league. This is not a mass exodus. Teams have players playing in the NHL every year. This year, many of the players that would have made the NHL jump will make the AHL jump because it is better to be int he AHL than the NHL for most of them. So, out of your nine, probably 4 or 5 would be gone anyway.

It's a mass exodus when you include 2 graduation classes to boot.
Of the list of 9,in my view going to the NHL would be Drysdale, Perfetti and Byfield.
The others would be in the O instead of the AHL were it not for the new rule.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Byfield, Drysdale, Perfetti, … that’s it I think; still seems more than normal though. Most are returned after an extended 9-game stay, which I think we might see with 4-5 players eligible for AHL

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Byfield, Drysdale, Perfetti, … that’s it I think; still seems more than normal though. Most are returned after an extended 9-game stay, which I think we might see with 4-5 players eligible for AHL

The OHL teams affected agree with you I am sure,so do I just dont think it will happen

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The OHL teams affected agree with you I am sure,so do I just dont think it will happen

The essence of the discussion is not about whether an individual team will be affected. It is the impact on the league and in this case, when we are taking an additional 5 or 6 players over an entire league. That is not impactful for the League.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The essence of the discussion is not about whether an individual team will be affected. It is the impact on the league and in this case, when we are taking an additional 5 or 6 players over an entire league. That is not impactful for the League.

If 6 players are in one conference as I predict for the West it does have a huge impact especially the West
especially if teams have dreams that this is their year.
This season anybody's guess

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If 6 players are in one conference as I predict for the West it does have a huge impact especially the West

Again, you are talking about individual teams prospects. We aren’t talking about individual teams. The League is not impacted by 6 players either way. It won’t impact the overall number of 16 year olds playing in the OHL. YES, it may impact the number of 16 year olds playing on a certain team (2 vs 4). But, if we start to look at it from the number of 16 year olds playing in the league (60 vs 66), it is not impactful.

This is all about perspective. Do I think Sarnia is impacted by Perrault playing AHL instead of OHL? Yes. Absolutely they are. But, the league is not “overly” impacted by it. Nor are they overly impacted by the other 4 or 5 players that may suit up in the AHL.

First, will it have an impact on ticket sales? Not a chance. If a team cannot sell 1000 tickets per game, something is wrong. Second, eight teams will make the playoffs regardless of who is playing. The league will crown a champion. Each team will have 18 skaters and two goalies dressed per game. Fundamentally speaking, nothing changes.

If this becomes a new rule change that is permanent, I believe the CHL and NHL will negotiate a reasonable compromise on the number of players that can graduate early to the AHL. It will more than likely involve a small handful of players that are under matched and are running over the rest of the league unabashed (Nick Robertson is a good example least season had they played).

As impressive as it is to see a smallish 19 year old score 70 goals, it isn’t better for that particular player to develop against inferior competition. If this is in fact a developmental league then the players in it should be developing or they shouldn’t be in the league. That goes for the players that aren’t getting ice time and have their development stagnated eating popcorn int he press box as well as players that are simply too good for the league but don’t possess the physical attributes required for the NHL yet.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

4 of those 6 are from the west division; I’d say that division was adversely affected considering mostly in conference games. At the very least, one team (Flint) stands to benefit.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
4 of those 6 are from the west division; I’d say that division was adversely affected considering mostly in conference games. At the very least, one team (Flint) stands to benefit.

Unfortunately for Flint I see them as in the bottom 3 in the Western Conference wouldn't be shocked bottom 2,other years you are probably right this year dont see it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Unfortunately for Flint I see them as in the bottom 3 in the Western Conference wouldn't be shocked bottom 2,other years you are probably right this year dont see it.

We will see, Flint will have one of the more veteran teams in the division. Not having O’Rourke and Perreault effectively removes the Soo and Sarnia from even pretending, imo. Saginaw seems headed for a low point with all of its graduations, lower amount of picks, plus recent big swings and misses with high picks.
Outside of Windsor, the west division looks a bit weak; especially compared to the last season played and what could have been if 2020-21 was played.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeylegend11

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is going to be a season for rookies and those eligible for the 2022 draft. Rookies and draft-eligible players are going to get more ice time.

They will be given the chance to shine or fail.

Ottawa is in the position of retooling with a totally new coach and a very green bunch of layers
Personally, I am looking forward to this season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is going to be a season for rookies and those eligible for the 2022 draft. Rookies and draft-eligible players are going to get more ice time.

They will be given the chance to shine or fail.

Ottawa is in the position of retooling with a totally new coach and a very green bunch of layers
Personally, I am looking forward to this season.

What is your fascination with the NHL Draft eligible players? It is meaningless. The players that perform will get the ice time. That has never changed and never will change.

Based on the number of rookies we will roster this season because of the two cohorts, of course rookies will get more ice time than a normal year because there will be twice as many of them! That is obvious. But to suggest they will be “awardeD” ice because it is their draft year is a little silly. They’ll all get the amount of ice they deserve.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
What is your fascination with the NHL Draft eligible players? It is meaningless. The players that perform will get the ice time. That has never changed and never will change.

Based on the number of rookies we will roster this season because of the two cohorts, of course rookies will get more ice time than a normal year because there will be twice as many of them! That is obvious. But to suggest they will be “awardeD” ice because it is their draft year is a little silly. They’ll all get the amount of ice they deserve.

My point is that usually, the players have to take a cut in ice time due to the first line being made of players that have already been drafted and are graduating. This year there are no last year players. No senior players. The ice time will be for those that deserve it as you say but I think more balanced as there are no stars returning on this team this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My point is that usually, the players have to take a cut in ice time due to the first line being made of players that have already been drafted and are graduating. This year there are no last year players. No senior players. The ice time will be for those that deserve it as you say but I think more balanced as there are no stars returning on this team this year.

OK, but like I said, “draft year” is irrelevant. There is more pressure on draft eligible players to perform. That I would agree with. But, unlike previous years, our draft eligible players may get more ice time because our current crop of 19 and 20 year olds are weak. That has nothing to do with Pandemic though. That is unless we planned to sell off players last season and brought in more seasoned veterans within those trades.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Where is the training camp going to be held this year? Does anyone have any dates of times they will hit the ice

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
67 press release

n San Jose, Gill-Shane finds himself in good company, taking to the ice alongside former 67’s standouts Sasha Chmelevski – drafted 165th overall in 2017 – and Joseph Gareffa, an undrafted free agent who scored 90 points for the Barber Poles in 2019-20. Sharks general manager, and fellow Ottawa product, Doug Wilson also starred for the 67’s from 1974-1977, and his number ‘7’ hangs in the rafters of the Arena at TD Place.

Are they not missing a player I thought Couture played for the 67's

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
67 press release

n San Jose, Gill-Shane finds himself in good company, taking to the ice alongside former 67’s standouts Sasha Chmelevski – drafted 165th overall in 2017 – and Joseph Gareffa, an undrafted free agent who scored 90 points for the Barber Poles in 2019-20. Sharks general manager, and fellow Ottawa product, Doug Wilson also starred for the 67’s from 1974-1977, and his number ‘7’ hangs in the rafters of the Arena at TD Place.

Are they not missing a player I thought Couture played for the 67's

I believe they are referring to their development camp which consists of the younger players, not the veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad