Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The Chicago Steel are the London Knights of the USHL right now.

they had 8 players drafted in the 2021 NHL draft this weekend. That includes Owen Power the #1 overall pick as well as two other 1st round picks.

Last season they also had eight players drafted in the 2020 NHL draft including first rounder Brendan Brisson.

The Chicago Steel are no joke. This is not a second tier team in a joke league. They are highly competitive and have a stellar roster.

I don’t think the 67s have had 16 players drafted to the NHL over the least 10 years let alone the last two!
Chicago is a niche market in the USHL for players with NCAA commitments, which this kid doesn't have. There is no disputing Chicago's recent success, top NCAA teams, specifically Michigan, are placing their players on this team to prepare them for their programs. They may be the Knights of the USHL, it doesn't make their seconds and cast away players any more attractive.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Chicago is a niche market in the USHL for players with NCAA commitments, which this kid doesn't have. There is no disputing Chicago's recent success, top NCAA teams, specifically Michigan, are placing their players on this team to prepare them for their programs. They may be the Knights of the USHL, it doesn't make their seconds and cast away players any more attractive.

The USHL used to be a 2nd tier league after the OHL. In recent years that has changed dramatically.
Personally I think there may be a 4th and simple option that is close to what OMG said.

He and his agent and parents are looking for the best place for him to shine, learn and increase his visibility.

He is 17 and just comes off an exciting year that saw him gain a lot of notoriety in the US market and probably with scouts. The Steel have a lot of players that are going to be watched by NHL and university scouts.

Ottawa really this year except maybe for him have no one that the scouts are going to be looking at and Ottawa is not a team that is expected to compete at the same level as Chicago.

That being said how does a 17 year old get noticed for the draft

ICE TIME AND WHAT THEY DO WITH IT.

So the question is would you rather lay on lines with players that either has been drafted or are at a high skill or would you rather play on a team that has not got the players to compliment and make you look good.

Moldenhauer has not and will not make s decision until he sees where he fits on either team.

Chicago is going to lose a lot of their star players to either the NHL or to NCAA. But they still are the Steel and scouts will be watching them.

I do not see him playing for any other OHL team as they are all in the same boat.

The best advice I would give him is to wait and see where things end up the options and the ball are in his court at the moment.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The USHL used to be a 2nd tier league after the OHL. In recent years that has changed dramatically.
Personally I think there may be a 4th and simple option that is close to what OMG said.

He and his agent and parents are looking for the best place for him to shine, learn and increase his visibility.

He is 17 and just comes off an exciting year that saw him gain a lot of notoriety in the US market and probably with scouts. The Steel have a lot of players that are going to be watched by NHL and university scouts.

Ottawa really this year except maybe for him have no one that the scouts are going to be looking at and Ottawa is not a team that is expected to compete at the same level as Chicago.

That being said how does a 17 year old get noticed for the draft

ICE TIME AND WHAT THEY DO WITH IT.

So the question is would you rather lay on lines with players that either has been drafted or are at a high skill or would you rather play on a team that has not got the players to compliment and make you look good.

Moldenhauer has not and will not make s decision until he sees where he fits on either team.

Chicago is going to lose a lot of their star players to either the NHL or to NCAA. But they still are the Steel and scouts will be watching them.

I do not see him playing for any other OHL team as they are all in the same boat.

The best advice I would give him is to wait and see where things end up the options and the ball are in his court at the moment.
All the red flags are going up with this kid, and if he is going to spend his life looking for the path of least resistance then he obviously doesn't have the confidence in his own skills or abilities; and he will likely miss out on great experiences like Ottawa has to offer.
The 67's have 3 kids in Sirizzotti, LaForme and Gill-Shane who missed out last year due to the Covid shutdown who will be watched closely, as well as five other first year eligible players in Sawyer, Stonehouse who was selected just 6 picks after Moldenhauer as well as Sirman, Mayich, and Rohrer. With Cranley, Matier and Beck NHL drafted there is plenty for fans and scouts to be interested in. The team will also have 12 games against Kingston this year and the projected 1st overall pick so there will be no shortage of exposure, and if the kid is as good as he seems to think he is, he should generate his own interest playing along all these players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All the red flags are going up with this kid, and if he is going to spend his life looking for the path of least resistance then he obviously doesn't have the confidence in his own skills or abilities; and he will likely miss out on great experiences like Ottawa has to offer.
The 67's have 3 kids in Sirizzotti, LaForme and Gill-Shane who missed out last year due to the Covid shutdown who will be watched closely, as well as five other first year eligible players in Sawyer, Stonehouse who was selected just 6 picks after Moldenhauer as well as Sirman, Mayich, and Rohrer. With Cranley, Matier and Beck NHL drafted there is plenty for fans and scouts to be interested in. The team will also have 12 games against Kingston this year and the projected 1st overall pick so there will be no shortage of exposure, and if the kid is as good as he seems to think he is, he should generate his own interest playing along all these players.

I think this is a little presumptuous with respect to attitude.

I see a kid who is looking at an opportunity in Chicago and is making that his goal. But, he needs to try out and make the team. There is nothing wrong with that. It isn’t an insult to Ottawa.

Again, we are assuming that is why he has not signed. He could simply want to play closer to home and doesn’t want to play in Ottawa geographically. Who knows….

Reactions: dirty12

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think this is a little presumptuous with respect to attitude.

I see a kid who is looking at an opportunity in Chicago and is making that his goal. But, he needs to try out and make the team. There is nothing wrong with that. It isn’t an insult to Ottawa.

Again, we are assuming that is why he has not signed. He could simply want to play closer to home and doesn’t want to play in Ottawa geographically. Who knows….
you could be right, but when a kid with no NCAA commitment is posturing like a top 5 pick there is something wrong. NCAA/NHL prospects don't tryout for a USHL or OHL team for that matter as a 17 yo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
you could be right, but when a kid with no NCAA commitment is posturing like a top 5 pick there is something wrong. NCAA/NHL prospects don't tryout for a USHL or OHL team for that matter as a 17 yo.

Typically true but this is an odd year and Chicago is a bit of a weird team right now.

those two variables make this a rather unique situation.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Agreed that there are players that the scouts will look at in Ottawa. The questions though are

What offers as he had from NCAA headhunters?
What team is he going to get the most quality icetime with?
Which team has more to offer him?
and
as OMG said which team can he make.

Chicago just lost a lot of its stars and will also be in a reboot of some such.

We probably will not hear much from him until after the Training camps start. I expect that if Ottawa opens first he will come here and take a look but will not press the 48-hour rule.

This is a kid that was given an opportunity to shine and grabbed the ring and took off with it in New Jersey and probably showed a little in Chicago when he was called up.

You can not fault him for now that he has a little control for wanting to use it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the Moldenhauer horse is now dead. We are in wait and see mode. Like I posted previously, one of three things will happen and we simply don’t know what that side is trying to accomplish anyway. We “think” he is trying to push for a spot on the Steel but he could very well be pushing for a trade to another OHL team and we need to wait for that window to open up when the defected player declaration window opens. Who knows.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The league was shut down prior to the window to declare defects last year, right? I thought the OHL would have accepted a ‘declaration’ prior to the 2021 draft. I doubt Moldenhauer or Castle care to re-enter the draft in 2022. Do you think Oshawa and Ottawa will be awarded a comp first as well as a trade window around the first week of September?

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The league was shut down prior to the window to declare defects last year, right? I thought the OHL would have accepted a ‘declaration’ prior to the 2021 draft. I doubt Moldenhauer or Castle care to re-enter the draft in 2022. Do you think Oshawa and Ottawa will be awarded a comp first as well as a trade window around the first week of September?

I do. I think all trams will be afforded an opportunity to declare their players defected because it typically requires the element of a training camp and not reporting. This is what constitutes the defection. Otherwise, a player could simply claim it right after their draft pick but the league waits until after training camps so they have proof of defection. ?No training camp, no proof.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
True. A lot of oddities though; lotteries, additional means to hold rights of import picks, AHL eligibility …. I just don’t know what to expect with respect to potential defects from two drafts ago; quite curious.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
True. A lot of oddities though; lotteries, additional means to hold rights of import picks, AHL eligibility …. I just don’t know what to expect with respect to potential defects from two drafts ago; quite curious.

There was no opportunity to defect and trade. Only Sign or not sign.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Change of pace.

Who was the 67 since 1990 that made the biggest impact in the NHL?
The one rule is that they had to be drafted andplayed their total time in Ottawa

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Moldenhauer is playing on team Cameron. He got 2 assists in the only game they played on teams that are both junior and under 18 on the same teams

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Which 67 will have the greatest impact in the NHL this coming season

Marco Rossi
Sasha Chemlvski
Grahame Clarke

I know there are others that are long shots to make NHL teams but these are 2 that are all but assured of doing it
I am just looking at players that would be considered Rookies this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Which 67 will have the greatest impact in the NHL this coming season

Marco Rossi
Sasha Chemlvski
Grahame Clarke

I know there are others that are long shots to make NHL teams but these are 2 that are all but assured of doing it
I am just looking at players that would be considered Rookies this year.

Rossi is probably the only one poised to make an impact.
I highly doubt Clarke will play at the NHL level. Chmelevsky may play but probably not in a top 2 line role.
Jack Quinn may get an opportunity in the tire fire that is the Sabres.

Rossi will get every opportunity to show what he’s got.

I think Bahl may slide into a #6 D-Man role next season.

the most high profile 67 player will be Mrazek suiting up for the Leafs. He’s gonna get an opportunity and he’s going to be under the gun to perform.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rossi is probably the only one poised to make an impact.
I highly doubt Clarke will play at the NHL level. Chmelevsky may play but probably not in a top 2 line role.
Jack Quinn may get an opportunity in the tire fire that is the Sabres.

Rossi will get every opportunity to show what he’s got.

I think Bahl may slide into a #6 D-Man role next season.

the most high profile 67 player will be Mrazek suiting up for the Leafs. He’s gonna get an opportunity and he’s going to be under the gun to perform.

Mrazek is definitely going to have the biggest spotlight on him. The LAFFS have been so long without a goalie that they could depend on.

Monahan will also be closely watched in Cow town

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mrazek is definitely going to have the biggest spotlight on him. The LAFFS have been so long without a goalie that they could depend on.

Monahan will also be closely watched in Cow town

The Leafs had Andersen who was very good for them until his injuries the past two seasons. Last season, Campbell was actually really good.

There were some lean years prior to Andersen but they’ve actually had a lot of really good goalies through the last 25 years. James Reimer played very well for a six seasons in a platoon role (with Giguere and Bernier). Ed Belfour had a few really good seasons. Curtis Joseph had four good seasons. Including Andersen’s decent run, it was really only the Vesa Toskala years that were a challenge.

I definitely wouldn’t look at the Leafs goaltending as a point of contention. I’d look at their lack of depth at centre in the years between Sundin and Mathews/Tavares as well as their inability to fill the big minutes on the back end. The Phil Kessel trade was horrific in hindsight.

The JT injury in the first period of game one of the playoffs this season was a killer. That team was built on the depth of two lines and when JT went down, so did their two pronged offensive threat. With only one true scoring line, it was easier for the Danault line to shut them down. That is the risk a team takes when they throw so much money at 4 or 5 players. When one goes down, that’s a lot of financial assets missing. Imagine what Tampa would have done this year without the return of Kucherov for the playoffs.

I think Mrazek will get a decent opportunity to play in front of a decent defence in Toronto. HE should get a good amount of goal support. The question is whether he can pull the net away from Campbell. Campbell was so good last year that it may be a tall order for Mrazek to get more than 35 games BUT he is signed to a 3 year deal so it is very possible that he is the starter the following season provided he performs well this season.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be the longest training camp I can remember
They are allowing teams an extended period of time to get things organized and work out any kinks they may have with Covid protocols etc. There has been a high turnover of staff, coaches and players so its not a typical situation. The league got this right IMO.

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad