Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What can you tell me about Hoefenmayer?

Inside the offensive blueline, he should be able to produce. It is questionable if at the next level he will be able to get the time and space he gets now.

HE can’t skate. He’s going to have a lot of trouble in his own end IMO.

I’ll be surprised if he plays primarily at the AHL level. HE will probably camp out in the ECHL and have some solid success.

Long term, if he can improve his skating, he will develop. If he can’t, he will be a solid ECHL guy.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Good for Hoefenmayer. I think he can be an average AHL defenseman, and even if he never gets a shot at the NHL that can be a nice career. Toronto's probably the best place to play in the AHL.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
What can you Ottawa fans tell me about Quinn and Rossi? What do they project to be at the NHL level and where do you think they should get picked?

Any other info/opinions regarding other OHLers in the upcoming NHL draft?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
What can you tell me about Hoefenmayer?

He was the heart and soul of the team’s blue line the last two years on two OHL regular season champion teams.

Huge clapper from the point, gives max effort and is a great teammate.

A fan favourite for sure and a great kid in the community.

Reactions: LeafChief

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He was the heart and soul of the team’s blue line the last two years on two OHL regular season champion teams.

Huge clapper from the point, gives max effort and is a great teammate.

A fan favourite for sure and a great kid in the community.

100%

I hope he can find a way at the next level.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’d say a less than exciting draft this year. Probably some good kids to help out in the future. A lot of people saying this draft wasn’t deep with overall talent so hopefully we can unearth a few solid contributors to help bolster the team in a couple years.

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I’d say a less than exciting draft this year. Probably some good kids to help out in the future. A lot of people saying this draft wasn’t deep with overall talent so hopefully we can unearth a few solid contributors to help bolster the team in a couple years.

Hockey Prospect ranked US based players 1-6 (Fantilli at #1- Canadian in the US, the other 5 were Americans not expected to play in the O). Seems like one of those years where the US just has more horses than Ontario.

That said, I like what the team did with their first four picks:

1) Nicholas Moldenhauer RW (#24 OA Hockey Prospect ranking)- 23 goals in 33 games and a reputation for strong two way play. 5"10 and 155 pounds. Should be able to play 3-4th line this year;

2) Brady Stonehouse RW (#32 HP )- 5'9 and 165 known as a power forward who his teammates love for his tenaciousness and battling ability. His long HP writeup made him sound a bit like Keating- I would take that 100p;

3) Thomas Sirman D(#81)- 5'10, 173 lbs described as playing a feisty style and being a good puck mover. Younger brother of Will who played a couple games for the 67's two years ago;

4) Matthew Mayich D (#73)- 6' 150 with a late, December birthday. Big, late blooming kid who was the PP QB on a good team. Some thought that he could use another year in Junior A to bulk up and learn to play a bit more aggressively.

Some other good picks according to HP rankings:

5) Jacob Couchie (#164)- power forward type

6) Aidan Pulie (#50)- good value at this spot for another power forward type- good size and skating with a strong work ethic- needs to refine some skills in Jr. A for another year

9) Will Gerrior (#103)- small player, but strong skater and exciting to watch. 29 goals in 45 games in HEO

13) Ryland Landon (#143)- big D out of Pembroke who is a high end skater but considered raw at this stage

We didn't take the high upside American kids this year like in other years though Cameron Korpi and Seamus Powell were invited to the US NTDP tryouts before they were cancelled: 2020 NTDP Evaluation Camp Roster Announced
Korpi was the starter for Little Caesar's in nets. He'd be a good get. Powell made the program and would be a longshot at this point as a 15th rounder ever to show.

Reactions: Mild Italian

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It will be interesting to see how these guys fit in with what we have. I would have liked a little more size but what the heck. I think except for the URO draft all we can do now is wait and see what happens to Rossi, Quinn, Hoelscher and Clarke.

I agree that rossi is probably gone but a lot will depend on how many of the other 3 we get back.

With the fact that the draft has been changed, I would not be surprised to see the 1 June date get amended.

There was a big meeting with all the sports leagues in the US and trump yesterday. Hopefully, the NHL will now be able to do some planning

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It will be interesting to see how these guys fit in with what we have. I would have liked a little more size but what the heck. I think except for the URO draft all we can do now is wait and see what happens to Rossi, Quinn, Hoelscher and Clarke.

I agree that rossi is probably gone but a lot will depend on how many of the other 3 we get back.

With the fact that the draft has been changed, I would not be surprised to see the 1 June date get amended.

There was a big meeting with all the sports leagues in the US and trump yesterday. Hopefully, the NHL will now be able to do some planning

The one date that may change is the Import draft date. It usually takes place after the NHL draft but the NHL draft has been pushed back. I’d expect the Import draft to also get pushed back.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hockey Prospect ranked US based players 1-6 (Fantilli at #1- Canadian in the US, the other 5 were Americans not expected to play in the O). Seems like one of those years where the US just has more horses than Ontario.

That said, I like what the team did with their first four picks:

1) Nicholas Moldenhauer RW (#24 OA Hockey Prospect ranking)- 23 goals in 33 games and a reputation for strong two way play. 5"10 and 155 pounds. Should be able to play 3-4th line this year;

2) Brady Stonehouse RW (#32 HP )- 5'9 and 165 known as a power forward who his teammates love for his tenaciousness and battling ability. His long HP writeup made him sound a bit like Keating- I would take that 100p;

3) Thomas Sirman D(#81)- 5'10, 173 lbs described as playing a feisty style and being a good puck mover. Younger brother of Will who played a couple games for the 67's two years ago;

4) Matthew Mayich D (#73)- 6' 150 with a late, December birthday. Big, late blooming kid who was the PP QB on a good team. Some thought that he could use another year in Junior A to bulk up and learn to play a bit more aggressively.

Some other good picks according to HP rankings:

5) Jacob Couchie (#164)- power forward type

6) Aidan Pulie (#50)- good value at this spot for another power forward type- good size and skating with a strong work ethic- needs to refine some skills in Jr. A for another year

9) Will Gerrior (#103)- small player, but strong skater and exciting to watch. 29 goals in 45 games in HEO

13) Ryland Landon (#143)- big D out of Pembroke who is a high end skater but considered raw at this stage

We didn't take the high upside American kids this year like in other years though Cameron Korpi and Seamus Powell were invited to the US NTDP tryouts before they were cancelled: 2020 NTDP Evaluation Camp Roster Announced
Korpi was the starter for Little Caesar's in nets. He'd be a good get. Powell made the program and would be a longshot at this point as a 15th rounder ever to show.

Yeah but it doesn’t look like there are any straws that stir the drink in that mix. A lot of supplementary players by the looks of things.

The thing that concerns me is we didn’t get a Centre in last year’s draft. We didn’t get a centre in this draft. Things are starting to look very thin down the middle.

That has to be the real concern heading into next season and beyond.

The Import Draft is an option as well as some of the NCAA bound kids drafted over the last couple seasons.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah but it doesn’t look like there are any straws that stir the drink in that mix. A lot of supplementary players by the looks of things.

The thing that concerns me is we didn’t get a Centre in last year’s draft. We didn’t get a centre in this draft. Things are starting to look very thin down the middle.

That has to be the real concern heading into next season and beyond.

The Import Draft is an option as well as some of the NCAA bound kids drafted over the last couple seasons.
Kocha Delic and Dalyn Wakely were sitting there ripe for the taking for both of our top two picks. Makes me wonder if we don't have a Center or two lined up that we don't know about yet.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Kocha Delic and Dalyn Wakely were sitting there ripe for the taking for both of our top two picks. Makes me wonder if we don't have a Center or two lined up that we don't know about yet.

I’ve sort of been wondering the same thing. The only problem with that thought is even if we did have a couple centres lined up, they wouldn’t have passed on those two if they were best available on their list. It is not like they don’t have wingers and were trying to fill that need.

So, either way, I think they had those two guys they picked ranked ahead of those two you mentioned.

Something tells me Delic wants to go NCAA. I am shocked he dropped that far unless there was that hanging over heads.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

I agree that Rossi is probably gone but a lot will depend on how many of the other 3 we get back.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I’ve sort of been wondering the same thing. The only problem with that thought is even if we did have a couple centres lined up, they wouldn’t have passed on those two if they were best available on their list. It is not like they don’t have wingers and were trying to fill that need.

So, either way, I think they had those two guys they picked ranked ahead of those two you mentioned.

Something tells me Delic wants to go NCAA. I am shocked he dropped that far unless there was that hanging over heads.

Delic will be playing in Sudbury

https://www.thesudburystar.com/spor...-forwards-highlight-sudbury-wolves-2020-draft

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Then I have no idea how Delic made it past Ottawa’s 2nd pick. No disrespect to either of the two they picked but we do need centres. That’s two drafts in a row with no centres drafted in benchmark pick range.

yup....obviously something there that made 67s brass shy away. For them to sit at the 26 pick with a chance to take a hometown - consensus top 15- kid and pass him over is absolutely telling. ..and I'll leave it at that. Interesting when Dave Smart was winning year after year... Ravens didn't always recruit the MOST skilled player but rather the players they knew would fit and thrive within a demanding team system.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
yup....obviously something there that made 67s brass shy away. For them to sit at the 26 pick with a chance to take a hometown - consensus top 15- kid and pass him over is absolutely telling. ..and I'll leave it at that. Interesting when Dave Smart was winning year after year... Ravens didn't always recruit the MOST skilled player but rather the players they knew would fit and thrive within a demanding team system.

And that is the ONLY reason why they passed on him. Because they were not the only team to pass on him. I assumed at the beginning that maybe he was NCAA bound and that is why they passed on him and not just the 67’s passing on him. HE shouldn’t have made it out of the first round unpicked.
So, logically speaking, the 67’s weren’t the only team that is questioning his ability to fit in their program. They are one of at least a dozen that passed on him to take maybe a less skilled player.

And, by all accounts, Stonehouse is going to be a player that wins Championships, not just puts up points. I am most interested in his development and in this environment, I think he could thrive.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Hi 67's fans! In reading the draft recap on the teams website, Mr. Boyd said this about 1'st round selection Nicholas Moldenhauer: "he possesses high end hockey sense and competitive level who can play the game fast at any forward position". Can this be an indication that plans are to have him play at the center position for this 67's team? Yes, there is time for a handful of things yet to happen before the puck drop for the 20-21 season but the roster as it stands today still looks quite competitive. I can see a couple of trades being made to strengthen this team as well.

1. Moving 00-Andree to a contending team in the West if the team feels that 02-Cranley is ready to take over the #1 spot in goal.
2. The team has zero 01-Defencemen, I can see a deal made to bring in a top four 01.
3. Bring in a capable 01-Goalie to push 02-Cranley and to be able to start maybe 15-20 games.

03-Beck / 00-Hoelscher / 01-Quinn
01-Clarke / 02-Tolnai / 00-Groulx
02-Robinson / 04-Moldenhauer / 03-Sirizzotti
03-Johnston / 02-Crete / 01-Varga
04-Stonehouse / Import

00-Rippon / 03-Matier
02-Belanger / 01-Trade
03-Sawyer / 02-Costantini
03-Gill-Shane

02-Cranley
01-Trade

Last edited: