Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I was gonna say 60-40 he returns in a normal NHL offseason. I have no idea how this offseason will impact things.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In the newly released Craig Button draft rankings, Jack Quinn is now listed in the 6th spot and Marco Rossi in the 8th spot. Quinn's ascension this year has been tremendous.

Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere solidifies status as hockey's top prospect - TSN.ca

No disrespect to CRAIG Button but that is a bit crazy. Byfeld is a stud and he is dropped to #3? Perfetti at #4? I don’t see it.

To me you have Lafreniere, then Byfield then Stutzle....then? Depends on what you value.

I like Quinn but I’ll be seriously surprised if Rossi goes after Quinn. I won’t be surprised if Quinn goes top 10 though.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree that skills-wise Rossi offers more but I still wonder about his size 5' 9" still to me seems small for the NHL. If they could I can see a team wanting him to go to the AHL.
I agree that as to the CHL there is not much left here. He needs to move to a league where players are bigger and the hockey is faster. To be honest the best league for him would be KHL only because of NHL rules about playing in Canada.

As to Quinn, I think that teams will look at him and whoever drafts him will want him to come back and prove that he can do what he did this year next year.

Hoelscher and Bahl to a certain extent are in limbo. It will depend on what the Devils want to do and how they look in camp. TheDevils are in transition and look like they want to build with draft choices and youth.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I agree that skills-wise Rossi offers more but I still wonder about his size 5' 9" still to me seems small for the NHL. If they could I can see a team wanting him to go to the AHL.
I agree that as to the CHL there is not much left here. He needs to move to a league where players are bigger and the hockey is faster. To be honest the best league for him would be KHL only because of NHL rules about playing in Canada.

As to Quinn, I think that teams will look at him and whoever drafts him will want him to come back and prove that he can do what he did this year next year.

Hoelscher and Bahl to a certain extent are in limbo. It will depend on what the Devils want to do and how they look in camp. TheDevils are in transition and look like they want to build with draft choices and youth.
Beast Rossi is short but he's 190 lbs....very solid base built for today's hockey. And why on earth is Bahl in limbo? He's huge, signed and done everything in junior hockey. He's AHL guaranteed.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
No disrespect to CRAIG Button but that is a bit crazy. Byfeld is a stud and he is dropped to #3? Perfetti at #4? I don’t see it.

To me you have Lafreniere, then Byfield then Stutzle....then? Depends on what you value.

I like Quinn but I’ll be seriously surprised if Rossi goes after Quinn. I won’t be surprised if Quinn goes top 10 though.
I agree about Quinn as good as he is I think Rossi should go before him but only takes one team! Speaks volumes though on what Quinn has done this year, just a crazy jump. Patty Higgins really got that one right! Now I know I' m gonna get some flack mostly from wolves fans but to me my draft order is 1-Lafreniere
2-Rossi
3-Drysdale
4-Perfetti
5-Byfield
6-Quinn
Some Europeans will likely slot in there but I don't know them enough to comment. I think Rossi is perfect for the modern game with elite edges and a complete 200 feet player! Drysdale skating and Perfetti's hockey sense are elite and suited for today's game. All Perfetti needs is time to get stronger. If I made this list 15 years ago Byfield might be #1 but hockey has changed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree about Quinn as good as he is I think Rossi should go before him but only takes one team! Speaks volumes though on what Quinn has done this year, just a crazy jump. Patty Higgins really got that one right! Now I know I' m gonna get some flack mostly from wolves fans but to me my draft order is 1-Lafreniere
2-Rossi
3-Drysdale
4-Perfetti
5-Byfield
6-Quinn
Some Europeans will likely slot in there but I don't know them enough to comment. I think Rossi is perfect for the modern game with elite edges and a complete 200 feet player! Drysdale skating and Perfetti's hockey sense are elite and suited for today's game. All Perfetti needs is time to get stronger. If I made this list 15 years ago Byfield might be #1 but hockey has changed.

WOW.

Very bold for sure.

I know Byfield hasn't shown much of a jump from a point production POV but I still think he projects very well at the NHL level. He needs another year in Junior though.

I stand by my projection of the top 3 being somewhat set in stone and in order:
1 - Lafreniere
2 - Byfield
2 - Stutzel

And then throw about five guys in a hat and draw them out as you see fit.

I would have:
4 - Drysdale
5 - Rossi
6 - Raymond
7 - Perfetti
8 - Holtz
9 - Lundell
10 - Quinn

Possible top 10's:
Askarov
Sanderson

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
WOW.

Very bold for sure.

I know Byfield hasn't shown much of a jump from a point production POV but I still think he projects very well at the NHL level. He needs another year in Junior though.

I stand by my projection of the top 3 being somewhat set in stone and in order:
1 - Lafreniere
2 - Byfield
2 - Stutzel

And then throw about five guys in a hat and draw them out as you see fit.

I would have:
4 - Drysdale
5 - Rossi
6 - Raymond
7 - Perfetti
8 - Holtz
9 - Lundell
10 - Quinn

Possible top 10's:
Askarov
Sanderson
I do agree the top three are probably going to go as you listed, I just have a different opinion. Don't get me wrong I like Byfield and he will be a very good player in the NHL. I just don't think his ceiling is as high as most think. We shall see.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I do agree the top three are probably going to go as you listed, I just have a different opinion. Don't get me wrong I like Byfield and he will be a very good player in the NHL. I just don't think his ceiling is as high as most think. We shall see.

Byfield was tied for 5th with Perfetti at 1.82 pts/g so his offensive production was up considerably more over last season than Perfetti which you might not realize. I think you might need to see Byfield more to appreciate just how quickly goals are produced by him. And as with most elite players, he’s got incredible puck luck.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Byfield was tied for 5th with Perfetti at 1.82 pts/g so his offensive production was up considerably more over last season than Perfetti which you might not realize. I think you might need to see Byfield more to appreciate just how quickly goals are produced by him. And as with most elite players, he’s got incredible puck luck.
Hey you might be right it's just one fan's opinion. Istand by my opinion for now based on what I've seen and you are right maybe I don't see him enough.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Regardless, I think most expected him to challenge for the league lead in points to a much higher degree.

Personally, I feel the Team Canada experience hurt him this season more than helped him. That said, I think it will help him next year though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Regardless, I think most expected him to challenge for the league lead in points to a much higher degree.

Personally, I feel the Team Canada experience hurt him this season more than helped him. That said, I think it will help him next year though.

I think the experience may have hurt his pride if anything. He’ll be much better for it, I’m sure. The point I was trying to make with the point production was not how much, but how he produced points. I think he can play a checking role and capitalize at a high rate on limited opportunities in the NHL next season. Imo, he can be effective now and dominate a few years later. I’m not so sure that can be said of Perfetti, Drysdale, Quinn, ...

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the experience may have hurt his pride if anything. He’ll be much better for it, I’m sure. The point I was trying to make with the point production was not how much, but how he produced points. I think he can play a checking role and capitalize at a high rate on limited opportunities in the NHL next season. Imo, he can be effective now and dominate a few years later. I’m not so sure that can be said of Perfetti, Drysdale, Quinn, ...

I’m reasonably certain he’ll be back in the OHL next year. I think he needs it. Too many kids like him go up early and it hurts them more than helps them. I think him coming back and dominating while playing a significant role at the World Juniors will help skyrocket his confidence and he’ll carry a little swagger into the NHL the following season.

Rossi is the only real threat to make the jump because he’s a year older. Even there I think he’ll be playing outside the NHL next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m reasonably certain he’ll be back in the OHL next year. I think he needs it. Too many kids like him go up early and it hurts them more than helps them. I think him coming back and dominating while playing a significant role at the World Juniors will help skyrocket his confidence and he’ll carry a little swagger into the NHL the following season.

Rossi is the only real threat to make the jump because he’s a year older. Even there I think he’ll be playing outside the NHL next year.

We will see. Like Rossi, I believe there is nothing for the OHL to offer Byfield. He can improve much more by playing against those than can at least get in his way. Last season, the (one) player that could consistently better Byfield was Harley.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beast Rossi is short but he's 190 lbs....very solid base built for today's hockey. And why on earth is Bahl in limbo? He's huge, signed and done everything in junior hockey. He's AHL guaranteed.

I agree Bahl will play in the AHL but I think that there might have been more of an idea of him playing ion the NHL next year when they traded for him.

The point I was making is that with everything that is going on next year is going to be a crapshoot for players at the NHL AHL level. Most players have the opportunity to play with NHL players during the summer and the NHL teams get to evaluate them. The way this year looks players will be Free Agents before the draft even happens.
The draft is not going to be until I think July if they are looking to make a spectacle of it for TV.
This is not going to give teams very much time to evaluate them and tell them what they need to do over the summer to prepare.

The interesting question with everything going on is whether there will be a WJC. There should be but these are definitely strange times. Like Tourigny said they are not going to have a lot of time to pick a team and look at players other than a lot of game film at this rate.

The CHL should not have a problem with their drafts as the players just stay home anyway.
Will Euro players want to travel is going to be a question mark though?

Again only time will tell the answers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree Bahl will play in the AHL but I think that there might have been more of an idea of him playing ion the NHL next year when they traded for him.

The point I was making is that with everything that is going on next year is going to be a crapshoot for players at the NHL AHL level. Most players have the opportunity to play with NHL players during the summer and the NHL teams get to evaluate them. The way this year looks players will be Free Agents before the draft even happens.
The draft is not going to be until I think July if they are looking to make a spectacle of it for TV.
This is not going to give teams very much time to evaluate them and tell them what they need to do over the summer to prepare.

The interesting question with everything going on is whether there will be a WJC. There should be but these are definitely strange times. Like Tourigny said they are not going to have a lot of time to pick a team and look at players other than a lot of game film at this rate.

The CHL should not have a problem with their drafts as the players just stay home anyway.
Will Euro players want to travel is going to be a question mark though?

Again only time will tell the answers.

Once everything is opened back up, we will see players travel just like they used to. They’ll chase the dream.

No matter what happens, there will be an exhibition schedule. Players on the radar will get the opportunity regardless. Where we will see a difference is the non-radar players that get the unexpected invite to main camp may fall sideways. That may also keep them out of AHL camps. Unsigned players like Hoelscher may find themselves back in junior for an OA year for the exact reasons you mentioned. Signed players will get assigned to the appropriate pro teams.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
Anybody else notice, in his latest message, Tourigny says he doesn’t expect Hoelscher back?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Anybody else notice, in his latest message, Tourigny says he doesn’t expect Hoelscher back?

Where was this?

If that is true, we'd need one or two of:

1> significant Import signing or trade
2> significant NCAA recruit signing
3> unespected jump forward from a current roster player like Crete at Centre
4> significant OA acquistion

If we go into next season with Tolnai as #1 Centre and whoever behind him from our current roster, I think we'd be in some deep doo doo.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Where was this?

If that is true, we'd need one or two of:

1> significant Import signing or trade
2> significant NCAA recruit signing
3> unespected jump forward from a current roster player like Crete at Centre
4> significant OA acquistion

If we go into next season with Tolnai as #1 Centre and whoever behind him from our current roster, I think we'd be in some deep doo doo.
It's on 67 website "letter from bear part one". He says some players like Hoelscher and Bahl are turning pro. Maybe he knows something we don't or it was just a blanket comment for underagers vs overagers??

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Roster without Hoelscher looks pretty thin down the middle. That would be a bit hit if he doesn’t return as an OA.

Tolnai showed some promise, for sure.

If you look at Quinn and Clarke as the top two RW and Robinson and Beck as the top two LW, we are ok in that category. Johnston and Sirizzotti would also make a decent flank for a young Centre like our 1st round pick if he’s a centre.

Can Yanic Crete actually hold down a centre position on a top line? I am not sure if he is suited to be a centre. I am reasonably certain he could play a 3rd line winger role. HE has some snipes in him. I am not sure he can drive the play down the middle though.

We’ll have to first see what happens with the OHL Priority Selection then the Import Draft. We’ll have a better idea of what holes can be filled that way. I’d say probably the 4th line centre will be filled with our 1st round pick. Plus Johnston and Sirizzotti flanking him.

Can we draft a premium experienced Centre int he Import Draft? I think that will be the key acquisition without pulling an NCAA recruit signing out of the hat.

Rippon and Andree will return as OA’s but I cannot see anyone else worthy of nailing down an OA spot unless it is for the purpose of a placeholder while we do a rebuild year.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Last year it was generally accepted at this time that Noel Hoefenmayer was going pro as well. Coach Tourigny made a very similar, if not exact statement after the season as he did in regards to Mitch Hoelscher.

As a fan of the player, I hope that he gets his contract with New Jersey. If not, he would be a lethal Center next year capable of 100 points playing with Jack Quinn in what would be one of the best lines in the league.

If he does sign, perhaps whichever team drafts Colby Ambrosio and Dylan Peterson will recognize the tremendous job that the 67's coaches have done in developing talent and push the player to Ottawa. With the Sens having so many high picks, maybe with the now close relationship with the 67's, they are just that team.

I'm not going to worry about talent acquisition for next year until training camp. There's still lots of time for James Boyd to recruit high end talent to play for one of the most famous junior franchises in Canada. Lets not forget that we also have the Head Coach of Canada's world junior team next year who may have two of his players picked in the top 10 in this year's NHL Draft.

Worst case scenario, if there aren't additions we build around the 2003 and 2004 draft classes and still make the playoffs next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Last year it was generally accepted at this time that Noel Hoefenmayer was going pro as well. Coach Tourigny made a very similar, if not exact statement after the season as he did in regards to Mitch Hoelscher.

As a fan of the player, I hope that he gets his contract with New Jersey. If not, he would be a lethal Center next year capable of 100 points playing with Jack Quinn in what would be one of the best lines in the league.

If he does sign, perhaps whichever team drafts Colby Ambrosio and Dylan Peterson will recognize the tremendous job that the 67's coaches have done in developing talent and push the player to Ottawa. With the Sens having so many high picks, maybe with the now close relationship with the 67's, they are just that team.

I'm not going to worry about talent acquisition for next year until training camp. There's still lots of time for James Boyd to recruit high end talent to play for one of the most famous junior franchises in Canada. Lets not forget that we also have the Head Coach of Canada's world junior team next year who may have two of his players picked in the top 10 in this year's NHL Draft.

Worst case scenario, if there aren't additions we build around the 2003 and 2004 draft classes and still make the playoffs next year.

Yes. And this is a reason why we need to assess where we are in November. I don't think we'll have a fully clear indication at training camp unless it is clear because things were already worked out for the positive. It is likely we'd have to wait on Hoelscher the same way Kitchener had to wait on Garreffa. It may take until well into October, maybe early November before we know for sure.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a top import forward (centre) with our pick even though our pick is pretty far down the list. I think Rossi had decided on Ottawa after what Tourigny was able to do with Hischier in Moncton. Another import forward might be thinking the same thing after both Hischier and Rossi developed so well and went high in the NHL draft. Everyone knows that the import draft is not picking the best player, but picking the best player that will come and play for you. Deals could be made....

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a top import forward (centre) with our pick even though our pick is pretty far down the list. I think Rossi had decided on Ottawa after what Tourigny was able to do with Hischier in Moncton. Another import forward might be thinking the same thing after both Hischier and Rossi developed so well and went high in the NHL draft. Everyone knows that the import draft is not picking the best player, but picking the best player that will come and play for you. Deals could be made....

I agree mostly. The problem is if we weren’t picking so early, we wouldn’t have gotten Rossi. HE was high on other lists and as you know, teams pick the players anyway, especially if they know they are already willing to come to North America.

We were fortunate with Rossi. However, it is unlikely we will be fortunate to get a 17 year old as advanced which means we’d have to probably pick an older player. That gets even more risky because they’d already have been drafted.

With so many players needing to be released or loaned, that may be an advantage since Ottawa can pay some coin toge the player released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad