Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I disagree beast, its not the other teams that will direct Boyd's moves it will be
1- the performance and development of this team closer to the deadline
2-management's assessment of our chances with any projected moves
3-the willingness of OSEG to go all in
I don't think is moves will/should be directed by other teams.

sirius

I agree with all yur points but disagree with the fact that other teams can decide what a team does or does not do at trade deadline.

If you ever talked to Killer, Mav or any OHL or sports GM it is a known fact that other teams have a great deal to do with what you can or can not do.

Killer used to joke that he had a hard time making deals because the other teams were leary and knew what he could do with players.

Boyd could put a great deal of (EXAGGERATION TO FOLLOW)

ROSSI, MATIER, AND BAHL WITH HIS 2ND ROUND pick FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS for Wright and Wong BUT IF KINGSTON IS NOT WILLING T MAKE THE DEAL IT DOES NOT MATTER.

That is how other teams can dictate what happens. In order for this team to be a bonafide contender, Boyd is going to have to make a few deals and if he can not get the parts that he needs from the other teams it really does not matter what he does.
Therefore he and Tourigny may have to look at what is best for the team either

1. make the deals they can and pray
2. stand pat
3. make the deals they can for the future.

Sticking with the exaggeration let's say he can not make a deal to get the offence needed for this year but Kingston is willing to take Belanger Tolnai and picks for Wright should he not make that deal.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
sirius

I agree with all yur points but disagree with the fact that other teams can decide what a team does or does not do at trade deadline.

If you ever talked to Killer, Mav or any OHL or sports GM it is a known fact that other teams have a great deal to do with what you can or can not do.

Killer used to joke that he had a hard time making deals because the other teams were leary and knew what he could do with players.

Boyd could put a great deal of (EXAGGERATION TO FOLLOW)

ROSSI, MATIER, AND BAHL WITH HIS 2ND ROUND pick FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS for Wright and Wong BUT IF KINGSTON IS NOT WILLING T MAKE THE DEAL IT DOES NOT MATTER.

That is how other teams can dictate what happens. In order for this team to be a bonafide contender, Boyd is going to have to make a few deals and if he can not get the parts that he needs from the other teams it really does not matter what he does.
Therefore he and Tourigny may have to look at what is best for the team either

1. make the deals they can and pray
2. stand pat
3. make the deals they can for the future.

Sticking with the exaggeration let's say he can not make a deal to get the offence needed for this year but Kingston is willing to take Belanger Tolnai and picks for Wright should he not make that deal.
I agree with this post Beast as you need two to tango and for a deal to be made it needs to be palatable to both sides. But its a different point that you made in your previous post where you suggested other teams would essentially decide what Boyd would do in respect to the direction of the team. I still say the factors I listed are the basis for his decision. Besides you can only control your own strategy, can't control what 19 other teams will do.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree with this post Beast as you need two to tango and for a deal to be made it needs to be palatable to both sides. But its a different point that you made in your previous post where you suggested other teams would essentially decide what Boyd would do in respect to the direction of the team. I still say the factors I listed are the basis for his decision. Besides you can only control your own strategy, can't control what 19 other teams will do.

I think the two of you are talking semantics.

While you are correct, a team will have a strategy, it still requires the ability to adjust on the fly.

Last year they mostly read the market correctly and traded only picks and non-reporting players. They took advantage of the fact OA's are mostly traded for picks.

This year, if they use the same strategy and they are unable to obtain the players they need, they need to alter the strategy. This is where Beast is correct.

So you are both pretty much saying the same thing, just from a different viewpoint.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG do they still have the whirlpool in the dressing room that used to get used a lot after games by players and bunnies alot
Or we could go back to the good old days a case of Molson in the coaches room.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG do they still have the whirlpool in the dressing room that used to get used a lot after games by players and bunnies alot
Or we could go back to the good old days a case of Molson in the coaches room.

I have not seen inside the room since they did the reno. I doubt they made any changes to the players room and if they did, I would imagine they'd still have hydrotherepy.

Now, whether they still have barley and stilletto therapy, I cannot say....

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Solid game today, we were the better team the last 50 minutes of the game after Sudbury took it to us in the opening 10.

Quinn was the best player on the ice today bar none. Rossi and Byfield both flashed their all world skill today too.

A few observations:
1) Belanger has been on fire since his stint on the 2nd line wing. He stood out today a few times.
2) Andree has been playing a ton lately- all three on the road last weekend and today. What happens if he gets hurt at any point? Will Cranley needs some dev time for sure but are the 67’s in a position to give that to him?
3) Bahl looks like 2019 playoffs Bahl again. After Byfield’s good start, he was nearly fully neutralized by big 88.
4) The team is on a great roll without Okhotyuk and Rippon (our #3 and #4) and Graeme Clarke who had 7 goals in our first nine games to start the year. Their returns will be the equivalent of a trade deadline blockbuster for this team. Don’t get me wrong, this team still needs to add.
5) If anybody mentions selling again this year, I might flip out. If you watch this team on a regular basis and I mean, actually watch the games you would know that it is currently a championship contender who has a full cupboard of picks to boot plus three top 10 players about to return before the playoffs. Just stop with the illogical, tired selling nonsense please.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Solid game today, we were the better team the last 50 minutes of the game after Sudbury took it to us in the opening 10.

Quinn was the best player on the ice today bar none. Rossi and Byfield both flashed their all world skill today too.

A few observations:
1) Belanger has been on fire since his stint on the 2nd line wing. He stood out today a few times.
2) Andree has been playing a ton lately- all three on the road last weekend and today. What happens if he gets hurt at any point? Will Cranley needs some dev time for sure but are the 67’s in a position to give that to him?
3) Bahl looks like 2019 playoffs Bahl again. After Byfield’s good start, he was nearly fully neutralized by big 88.
4) The team is on a great roll without Okhotyuk and Rippon (our #3 and #4) and Graeme Clarke who had 7 goals in our first nine games to start the year. Their returns will be the equivalent of a trade deadline blockbuster for this team. Don’t get me wrong, this team still needs to add.
5) If anybody mentions selling again this year, I might flip out. If you watch this team on a regular basis and I mean, actually watch the games you would know that it is currently a championship contender who has a full cupboard of picks to boot plus three top 10 players about to return before the playoffs. Just stop with the illogical, tired selling nonsense please.
Amen!

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

A few observations:

You are crazy. This team is a total sell job! No chance of winning this year!

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019

A few observations:
Agree #2 / we saw what happened in playoffs when Andree sat for too long. If coach had put him in vs going for the sweeps may have had a different result. Have to keep your back-ups game ready as shit happens. Practice goalie vs game goalie are completely different animals. Rotate your goalies!

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Agree #2 / we saw what happened in playoffs when Andree sat for too long. If coach had put him in vs going for the sweeps may have had a different result. Have to keep your back-ups game ready as **** happens. Practice goalie vs game goalie are completely different animals. Rotate your goalies!
Cranley has been playing the weaker teams, such as Hamilton and Niagara (no weak teams last weekend or today). I expect to see him between the pipes Saturday vs. Missy.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’m going to address the question of SELL vs BUY. I know there are opposing viewpoints.

In late summer, I suggested we should be open to selling. There were a few reasons. First, we would be able to replenish a lot of what we spent last year. Second, we seemed to have a solid crop of younger players we could build around and the assets we’d get in return for players like Bahl would go a long way towards bolstering our roster without going through lean draft years. Also, if we buy this year, we likely sell next year so it was more a matter of identifying which year would be the sell year.

As we are now getting close to the decision time, we’ve now seen the status of the league and how we fit in it. Here are my observations that go into the thought process of SELL vs BUY:

1> Robertson is out for the season and may be done for his career.
2> Tolnai is not proving to be a centre that can stir the drink. HE may still have value as a winger.
3> Both Okhotyuk and Rippon seem to have hit their ceiling from a development perspective and have not made a leap forward this year.
4> Both Rossi and Hoelscher are premier Centres.
5> The overall forward depth gives us two scoring lines. The remainder of the forwards comprise of marginal veterans and green rookies.
6> Hoefenmeyer returned and has proven to be a force offensively.
7> Andree has proven to be a top of the league goalie.

Clearly there are some positives and negatives. We can’t expect all positive. On the balance, it is more positive than negative.

The league itself doesn’t seem to have a front runner. That’s good and bad. The good means we don’t have to catch anyone but the bad is there are a cluster of teams that all feel they have a chance which means it may shape up to be a sellers market for forwards and defence (non-OA). That means the costs will rise as more teams will be bidding.

The big question is whether this management team will take the same approach as last year with respect to trading roster players. We do have some picks but we aren’t flush like last year. I believe we have five 2nds and three 3rds plus a ton of 4ths. The 4ths don’t really hold much trade value. If we did manage to work out a picks based deal for a stud forward, it would pretty much empty that cupboard of 2nds and 3rds.

Since we need an entire 3rd line, and possibly a D-Man, depending on what happens with Clarke, we need to stretch those assets out. To me, we need a 3rd line centre and winger that can score to help stretch our scoring out. We also need some sort of D-Man that can chew up big minutes.

We have Matier, Tolnai, and Belanger that can be dangled and not hurt us in the top 6 forward group or top 4 defence group. These are the three guys that can potentially get us the best return. None of the other players really have much value. We also need to assume the NCAA players currently not signed also have no value as they all seem pretty steadfastly committed to College.

If we buy three players and don’t have to dramatically overpay, we will have a really good opportunity to win this year provided one other team doesn’t go stupid like Guelph did last year. However, that does come at a cost.

We will have very little left of value from a draft pick perspective for the next five years. This sets up the need to potentially sell off players like Clarke, Quinn, and Rossi next year. I firmly believe if you draft well and manage your assets well, you can make a push once every four years and not overly affect your competitive balance year over year. The problem is if you decide to push in back to back years, you will end up in that win-lose cycle. Win two years and lose two years. I don’t think this management team is interested in that approach.

So, yes, I do feel we have a much better chance of doing damage this year than either of the following two years. Mostly that is because Robertson is done (think Gabe Vilardi) and Tolnai isn’t going to be an impact player at centre. That is a gaping hole needing to be filled and we drafted Defence and wingers the last three drafts. We are very short down the middle.

Because next year looks like a bit of a write off depending on who comes back, it is probably wise to make a push this year over next. That does require the loss of Matier though. It will also probably cost us Belanger or Tolnai. Potentially, they could find the right mix and it only costs us one fo those three which would be great but I am not too sure we can acquire three players with just picks and one young guy, especially with our OA spots filled. That will be the trade-off.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
lol I think you mean Robinson LOL

Again the league is going to determine what this team does. Last year it was easy to make trades. This year not so much as OMG says there is not a lot to trade.
Yes we should get a nice return for Matier but does anyone think we will get very much for Tolnai or Belanger that will allow us to develop a 3rd line

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Very good summary as always OMG as always. Yes I agree this is the year we can do damage and yes it will cost us and we may enter a lose/win cycle. It will imo depend on if we can keep Matier so our 2003 class remains intact. Then I think we can remain competitive next year(6-8 place) and be relevant in two years. I do like the point you make that has there is no clear front runner that it might become a sellers' market. Hopefully a few teams (including us) separate themselves enough to thin out the suitors. As for Rippon/Okhotiuk I think you are being premature in saying they have reached a plateau. They have both been injured and if healthy they are gonna be at worse a very good shutdown pair and at best will have some offensive upside from Okhotiuk as he's shown flashes. I do agree acquiring another D would be great but mostly to guard against injury to our top 4. I see it as a want not a need. I would devote our ressources to acquiring a top forward and two depth guys to pair with Varga on our third line (I like him from limited viewings). Finally I do hope Robinson is not done. His is a hip issue I believe so not back like Vilardi. If he is done it begs the question, did we acquire damaged goods? Could we get some compensation back? Has it ever happened in the O?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Very good summary as always OMG as always. Yes I agree this is the year we can do damage and yes it will cost us and we may enter a lose/win cycle. It will imo depend on if we can keep Matier so our 2003 class remains intact. Then I think we can remain competitive next year(6-8 place) and be relevant in two years. I do like the point you make that has there is no clear front runner that it might become a sellers' market. Hopefully a few teams (including us) separate themselves enough to thin out the suitors. As for Rippon/Okhotiuk I think you are being premature in saying they have reached a plateau. They have both been injured and if healthy they are gonna be at worse a very good shutdown pair and at best will have some offensive upside from Okhotiuk as he's shown flashes. I do agree acquiring another D would be great but mostly to guard against injury to our top 4. I see it as a want not a need. I would devote our ressources to acquiring a top forward and two depth guys to pair with Varga on our third line (I like him from limited viewings). Finally I do hope Robinson is not done. His is a hip issue I believe so not back like Vilardi. If he is done it begs the question, did we acquire damaged goods? Could we get some compensation back? Has it ever happened in the O?

I think a lot hinges on the assessment of Clarke come New Years. We should have a better idea by then. If it looks like he will be playoff ready, we have two bonafide lines.

You make a good point about trying to keep Matier to keep that group intact. It may be much better to look at Tolnai and Belanger simply from a cycle standpoint. Theoretically, those two go in deals, we then trade the 19 year olds next year and look at another build around the ‘03 class. I am not sure that will work well BUT....

If we feel we do have two bonafide lines, then maybe we don’t go big game fishing on forward. Maybe we look heavily at Harley as the big fish. He’s a player we can dish off next year and recoup so his cost is going to be less in the aggregate.

The more we see Hoelscher and Quinn, the more we see a pretty dynamic duo. Clearly the front line is fine. Clarke would slide in with Hoelscher.

If Varga does prove to be quality on the 3rd line, then we could look at a speedy shut down line that can score a little instead of another full on offensive line. We can probably get those two guys for middling picks.

That scenario wouldn’t separate us much but with added veteran presence on the back end, maybe that would be a better mix? Look for a dynamic penalty killing centre that wins a ton of draws. Someone tenacious but doesn’t really have a scoring touch. Pop Varga beside him and add a winger that has a good trigger. Could work.

Then you have Crete, Johnston, Beck, Yule and Tourigny available for the 4th line.

Again, not ideal but workable. This is where a kid like Bitten not being here really hurts. You slot him in on the 4rd line with Varga and a decent centre and we would be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad