Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is very possible if DiPietro doesn't go down, the momentum would not have shifted. That said, the team in front of Andree really wasn't prepared for the shift in effort the Storm gave Ottawa either.

It is tough to say what the reason was.

The only thing we know for sure is Guelph traded players for Suzuki and Ottawa didn't. Guelph won and Suzuki was the mvp of that series.

If Ottaw ahd have traded Tolnai in a deal for Suzuki last year, we'd still have the same team (relatively speaking) this year and possibly a championship banner. Not only would Ottawa have had more talent, they'd have kept that player away from Guelph.

I am fine with their approach last year BTW. We had open OA spots that needed to be filled and were 9 forwards deep. No one quite expected Guelph to push that hard. london was out of cards, saginaw had made their moves and it looked like SSM weren't going to do anything. Sudbury was young and Oshawa was pushing assets forward. I read the market the same way Boyd did. It is unfortunate but it happened.

All we can do is learn from that and apply what we have learned.

If we want to look at differences you also have to look at the fact that goaltender injuries seemed to coincide with Guelph getting through.

Ottawa has a good team this year and even if they trade a Keating or Bahl or possibly Hoesch they will still be a good team,
Next year we can be a great team if we make the trades. Also imagine what we would get if we traded Rossi this year if he is not coming back to Ottawa?

Yes we can make trades for players to make this team better but the problem is that we do not have that much to trade as far as a youth.

People have said that Tolnai is not a big chip neither is Belanger. The only player that has any value is Matier and he is only going to get us, one star player.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The irony is that afternoon I was looking at Kenny Walls lineup card. I don’t usually. I haven’t really paid attention to point totals this year as all. I was in Scotland golfing for two weeks so I did miss a good portion of the early season.

I noticed Tolnai had 2 or 3 points and I chuckled at the fact Tourigny had the same point totals and thought that maybe this would impact his trade status. Then, that night, you post what you said.

You were more “sobering” about it than I am though. In this sport there is always a GM out there that thinks they can put a player back on track etc. (Pointing directly at Robinson). We see it all the time. That said, there is no doubt Tolnai would have been the centrepiece ina. Deal for Suzuki and Durzi last year and it willbe tough to make that arguement this year without adding an uncomfortable number of picks.

I feel he has been elevated tot he wing with Hoelscher and Quinn to specifically add to point totals so as to elevate his value, or at least eliminate the deflation of the value.

We’ll see whether that has any effect.

you started on here on the draft year for the 2000s, focused on the league eta where yule played, only posting about the draft and 2000s. once he was drafted to ottawa you immediately stated posting on here. that’s a hell of a coincidence lol

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
you started on here on the draft year for the 2000s, focused on the league eta where yule played, only posting about the draft and 2000s. once he was drafted to ottawa you immediately stated posting on here. that’s a hell of a coincidence lol
You seem to have quoted the wrong post OHL4LIfe. Anyways ETA has been an interesting, informed poster on this board for a few years. And its certainly not like he's been pushing an agenda, so I don't care if he is a dad of a player (he is not imo and he did answer you). Let it go.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
If we want to look at differences you also have to look at the fact that goaltender injuries seemed to coincide with Guelph getting through.

Ottawa has a good team this year and even if they trade a Keating or Bahl or possibly Hoesch they will still be a good team,
Next year we can be a great team if we make the trades. Also imagine what we would get if we traded Rossi this year if he is not coming back to Ottawa?

Yes we can make trades for players to make this team better but the problem is that we do not have that much to trade as far as a youth.

People have said that Tolnai is not a big chip neither is Belanger. The only player that has any value is Matier and he is only going to get us, one star player.
I don't see why we bothered to go out and get Garreffa if we are still a good team as you just mentioned. Keating will not even get you a Garreffa type return. Subtract and lose out on what we obtain in assets.

Next season's subtractions will probably be Keating, Garreffa, Hoelscher, Bahl, Hoef, Okhotyuk and possibly Rossi. Even if we manage to get a couple of good young players with your suggested trades who do we have left as a nucleus from our current roster. Quinn and Clarke will be our only proven scorers as Tolnai, Robinson have proven nothing at this level. We will have a bunch of rookies who are turning 17 and still fairly inexperienced. We do not have any outstanding rookies like McTavish on the Pete's, then again who does.

How many players do you think we can acquire next season to make the team a success? Even our OA candidates are Rippon, Tourigny and Yule not exactly household names. We were lucky this time around with our import choices but that will not likely happen again. I just cannot see next season as being the year to go all in.

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
They have a Championship banner hanging front heir rafters. I am not too sure you can criticize a team for winning a championship.

I don't believe I "criticized" them for anything. They chose an approach and it worked out for them, we chose an approach and it didn't. The result is that we have a team that could make a serious run again this year; while it may take them some time to get back to that level (even though they appear to be proving me wrong at the moment).

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
So does Ottawa go all in this season or are they competing with Oshawa for the Memorial Cup next season.

From everything that we've heard, the team should be all in this year. Not sure who else will be bidding against Oshawa for the Mem Cup...maybe Kitchener, London, Barrie? There don't seem to be a lot of teams building up for it.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not sure where EliteProspects gets it's information about loans, but historically they seem to be pretty accurate and there is no indication Rossi has been on loan. Compare to Rasmus Sandin who was on loan to the Greyhounds in 2017-2018 and clearly marked as such on EliteProspects.

Marco Rossi at eliteprospects.com
Rasmus Sandin at eliteprospects.com

This is a great resource. I use eliteprospects as well but never noticed the transaction designations.

So, it looks like Rossi is not on loan. Therefore he is 67s property. He is NHL or OHL next year. There is a possibility he plays in Europe but as a high draft pick, I doubt that is a priority option at this point. He needs to be immersed in the North American game on North American ice so as to make the jump sooner. If he went to Europe, it would be to work on long term goals.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I don't really care who ETA is associated with. You seem to think it is Yule. If so, who cares? We have conversations and I've been adamant about Yule being a wasted roster spot and he's never criticized my opinion.

At the end of the day, ETA has contributed a great deal of information and opinion that has been positive. If he is a parent, I don't care. Maybe he's an uncle? Hell, maybe he's a grandmother! Makes no difference to me.

On the basis of his complete body of contributions here, I haven't seen any bias that isn't warranted. For example, he has trumpetted Quinn over Clarke up to the start of this season. Biased? Maybe. But accurate in analysis!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like was stated before if the Swiss team does not have him on loan to Ottawa then it is OHL or NHL.

Minus NA minor leagues, he can play wherever he chooses to sign. The CHL does not have the same agreements with euro leagues as NHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Minus NA minor leagues, he can play wherever he chooses to sign. The CHL does not have the same agreements with euro leagues as NHL

This is true; however, his NHL club will have a lot of say as to where he'd best develop. I doubt he'd have the ability to make that decision unilaterally.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is true; however, his NHL club will have a lot of say as to where he'd best develop. I doubt he'd have the ability to make that decision unilaterally.

probably in Rossi’s best interest to heed the wishes of the club he’s drafted to, no doubt; and, probably in his NHL club’s best interest to not make a fuss when playing in Swiss league if not ready for NHL. Strome, Hayton, ... problem averted.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If as everyone says we have no offence or players that have developed then really we have only 1 player that is tradeable to get the kind of piece that we need for the puzzle and that is Matier.

My question still stands if the only player people are interested in is Matier that is going to get us a stud forward is it worth it.
Whether Ottawa is a buyer or seller is out of Boyd's hands.
The rest of the OHL will decide where we are. If there is a viable interest in some of our young players that will benefit the team fine then we could be a buyer.
If on the other hand, the only calls he gets are for Keating, Rossi, Bahl Hoef, and Andree then he is going to be a seller.

It is as simple as that.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If as everyone says we have no offence or players that have developed then really we have only 1 player that is tradeable to get the kind of piece that we need for the puzzle and that is Matier.

My question still stands if the only player people are interested in is Matier that is going to get us a stud forward is it worth it.
The rest of the OHL will decide where we are. If there is a viable interest in some of our young players that will benefit the team fine then we could be a buyer.
If on the other hand, the only calls he gets are for Keating, Rossi, Bahl Hoef, and Andree then he is going to be a seller.

It is as simple as that.
I disagree beast, its not the other teams that will direct Boyd's moves it will be
1- the performance and development of this team closer to the deadline
2-management's assessment of our chances with any projected moves
3-the willingness of OSEG to go all in
I don't think is moves will/should be directed by other teams.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How can there even be discussion of selling while the ‘67s are on top of the standings and #1 in league goal differential even though enduring significant injuries and 5 game suspension to Rossi?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

It is as simple as that.
I don't believe Boyd or any other GM will let the other teams dictate on whether to be a buyer or seller. Current roster plus draft picks, player availability, asking prices, no trade clause issues, OSEG will all be part of the evaluation.

Nobody is saying the we have nothing to trade it is just that Tolnai has not developed a scoring touch and his value has fallen. He has looks okay on the 2nd. line but he is just not producing as of yet. I am sure someone out there may still be interested in him as part of a package. I still think Tolnai can turn into a decent player with regular linemates and if he can regain some confidence.

I believe that Belanger is a tradeable asset and with Matier we could be in business. We also have a decent amount of draft picks to complete a couple of deals.

As for people knocking down the door for Hoef and Keating it is just not going to happen. Most teams already have their OAs in place and I am sure interested parties would be looking Kitchener's way. (Meireles, Yantsis & Hawel)

I agree Bahl and Hoelscher could be tradeable commodities depending on the demand and return.

Rossi will very likely return next season so I see no point in trading him if we want to be at least competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't believe Boyd or any other GM will let the other teams dictate on whether to be a buyer or seller. Current roster plus draft picks, player availability, asking prices, no trade clause issues, OSEG will all be part of the evaluation.

Nobody is saying the we have nothing to trade it is just that Tolnai has not developed a scoring touch and his value has fallen. He has looks okay on the 2nd. line but he is just not producing as of yet. I am sure someone out there may still be interested in him as part of a package. I still think Tolnai can turn into a decent player with regular linemates and if he can regain some confidence.

I believe that Belanger is a tradeable asset and with Matier we could be in business. We also have a decent amount of draft picks to complete a couple of deals.

As for people knocking down the door for Hoef and Keating it is just not going to happen. Most teams already have their OAs in place and I am sure interested parties would be looking Kitchener's way. (Meireles, Yantsis & Hawel)

I agree Bahl and Hoelscher could be tradeable commodities depending on the demand and return.

Rossi will very likely return next season so I see no point in trading him if we want to be at least competitive.

This makes sense.

1 - the OA market will be depressed, especially if Kitchener decides to sell off. I think they'll buy but most top teams have at least two OA's so the demand for OA's will be limited.
2 - because Tolnai and Robinson would be two that would be a significant straw to stir the drink next year, I am not sold on next year being as effective as I thought going into the season.
3 - tolnai looks like he needs to stay on the wing to limit his responsibilty and get his confidence back. If he ends up not being a valuable enough commodity, we can shift focus to him staying ont eh wing and focus on Belanger being the trade piece. As a versatile D-Man, he'd get some solid interest I would think.

The market will start to shape up in 3 weeks. Right now there are too many teams in the mix and no clear front runner. 3 or 4 teams will fall off the pace and 2 or 3 teams will start to separate from the pack. It always happens that way. We'll have a clearer picture very soon.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Its that school day game tomorrow against a good team. Don't know the exact numbers but we've sucked since this started. Maybe coach Tourighy needs a new approach as teens don't function well too early in the AM. He should take the boys for a night out on the market, have a few pints, middle of the night bad pizza and don't let them sleep they can do that after the game.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Its that school day game tomorrow against a good team. Don't know the exact numbers but we've sucked since this started. Maybe coach Tourighy needs a new approach as teens don't function well too early in the AM. He should take the boys for a night out on the market, have a few pints, middle of the night bad pizza and don't let them sleep they can do that after the game.

Strippers and a mound of Coke in the dressing room during intermission.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->