Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Maybe playing easily the hardest schedule in the league thus far this year with 13 road games (9 of which were against the top nine Western teams) has to do with making our record worse than what it is...

Then take your 10 4th round picks, three 3rd round picks and five 2nd round picks over the next five years and blow them on 2nd tier players this year, come up short and have nothing left the next five years to draft with because we know, based on your stance now, we won't sell players next year to recoup.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We were up 2-0 in the OHL final after breaking the OHL record with 14 straight wins before their stud Goalie who had exclusively seen time in nets for a month and a half went down and the series obviously shifted.

Your narrative that last year was a disappointment is getting old. Nine other teams in the East would have loved to have had our “disappointing” season.

This Management team has done a 10/10 job in the past two plus seasons.

What game this year is this 10 out of 10 management planning on raising the 14 game win steak playoff banner?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Then take your 10 4th round picks, three 3rd round picks and five 2nd round picks over the next five years and blow them on 2nd tier players this year, come up short and have nothing left the next five years to draft with because we know, based on your stance now, we won't sell players next year to recoup.

If you've read any of my previous posts, I have been suggesting going all in this year and then selling off Quinn, Clarke, Andree, Rippon and possibly Hoelscher and Rossi if they come back. Like Guelph, move some players in the preseason and the rest at the TDL.

Going all in doesn't necessarily mean moving Matier and Tolnai. Maybe teams will want to add Belanger or Costantini, who played top pairing with Bahl this weekend very well, I might add. Quite honestly Matier looks better to me than Bahl did at the same stage three years ago but if it takes moving him to make a splashy move, then maybe we do it. I trust this Management team better than any of us.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If you've read any of my previous posts, I have been suggesting going all in this year and then selling off Quinn, Clarke, Andree, Rippon and possibly Hoelscher and Rossi if they come back. Like Guelph, move some players in the preseason and the rest at the TDL.

Going all in doesn't necessarily mean moving Matier and Tolnai. Maybe teams will want to add Belanger or Costantini, who played top pairing with Bahl this weekend very well, I might add. Quite honestly Matier looks better to me than Bahl did at the same stage three years ago but if it takes moving him to make a splashy move, then maybe we do it. I trust this Management team better than any of us.

Costantini has little to no value if you go big fish hunting. He has more value on this team than via trade.

We have three players of value to trade that we can afford to delete from our roster in an effort to bring in players. Matier, Tolnai and Belanger. As much as Belanger has value, it is questionable how much value he has as a centrepiece. ETA has suggested Tolnai has no value as a centre piece. Therefore, if he is correct and I am correct, Matier is the only piece of value that will land us a big fish.

Also, if you have been reading my posts, I don’t want to trade anyone unless I have to BUT we MUST be willing to deal them if we want to make a run. We both also agree we have to make some seller deals next year to recoup. I don’t think we need to do that many deals to be honest.

I will say this, if you are not “willing” to trade Matier, you are not all in. It doesn’t mean you have to trade him but you have to be willing if you are in fact committed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I enjoyed last season very much as did all of my friends who attend the games. It was a fun season with great players both on and off the ice.

Agreed. However, no one remembers stupid records like winning streaks.

I remember 1997, 1998, 2003 and 2005. But I remember 2001 for a much different reason.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I do believe that management will go all in this year and will not go the alternative route with player acquisitions. Two of Tolnai, Belanger or Matier will be included in trades to achieve that goal.

That 14 game winning streak turned into a 4 game losing skid and the party was over.

I trust that Boyd, Tourney and the management team will do all that is possible without unforeseen roadblocks such as no trade issues, trade partners, asking prices, etc. When the outcome requires participation from other components you never know what will transpire.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do believe that management will go all in this year and will not go the alternative route with player acquisitions. Two of Tolnai, Belanger or Matier will be included in trades to achieve that goal.

That 14 game winning streak turned into a 4 game losing skid and the party was over.

I trust that Boyd, Tourney and the management team will do all that is possible without unforeseen roadblocks such as no trade issues, trade partners, asking prices, etc. When the outcome requires participation from other components you never know what will transpire.

It will be interesting for many reasons:

1 - do they feel they need a D-man?
2 - is ETA correct and Tolnai has relatively little value?
3 - are they willing to part with Matier?
4 - is their primary goal to win a Championship or be competitive year after year?
5 - how many teams prove to be in the hunt this year and how will that alter the market?

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
I wasn't always aware of which kids can be traded and when. It sure is nice to go in first round of draft but then to be subject to trade rumours is all part of the business. Interesting that Matier being picked in first round can be shopped but ten picks later Beck and Sirrizotti are protected. I think your GM will keep Matier and try to move some 2002 and 2001 players. The 67's are a top team after a hard stretch and I'm not sure how many changes are required. Maybe one or two, but not sure a blockbuster is in the works. I have read in other forums that Rolofs and Punnett could be first rounders on the trade block as well.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
If George Burnett took the same approach with his roster last season (add without giving up roster player)s) that Boyd/Tourigny did, Ottawa walks over Guelph (or another team) in the OHL final.

I suspect this year’s approach may change as a result.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
If George Burnett took the same approach with his roster last season (add without giving up roster player)s) that Boyd/Tourigny did, Ottawa walks over Guelph (or another team) in the OHL final.

One could also argue that if DiPietro doesn't get hurt in game 2, the outcome of that series may have been completely different.

Boyd/Tourigny did what they needed to do to improve the team's chances (without mortgaging the future) and I for one, while disappointed with the eventual outcome, am more than happy with the approach.

I also believe that as a result, and with the right moves this year, this team can be right back in the mix. Compare that to how Guelph is doing this year (and how long it's going to take for that team to be competitive again) and I'll take that approach any day.

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

What many fail to realize is that Guelph did subtract players. They dealt Merkley earlier in the year, bringing back significant picks. Also dealt Bertuzzi (prev 1st rounder) and Primeau for substantial picks. At the deadline Woolley was the biggest piece to be traded away, not a former 1st rounder but a very solid stay at home D with 2 years eligibility who is now on Owen Sound's top pairing. Also traded Kirwin to OS (again, not 1st round talent but a top 6 two-way forward.)

You are correct that they didn't trade away Chayka, thankfully didn't have to.

If Matier is traded you give up less picks. If Tolnai is part of a trade for a big fish you're throwing in a 2nd and a couple 3rd's simply due to his stats line, IMO.

Reactions: BarberPole9

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
One could also argue that if DiPietro doesn't get hurt in game 2, the outcome of that series may have been completely different.

Boyd/Tourigny did what they needed to do to improve the team's chances (without mortgaging the future) and I for one, while disappointed with the eventual outcome, am more than happy with the approach.

I also believe that as a result, and with the right moves this year, this team can be right back in the mix. Compare that to how Guelph is doing this year (and how long it's going to take for that team to be competitive again) and I'll take that approach any day.

Have you looked at the stats to see how Guelph is doing this year? 8-game win streak, 2nd highest win percentage in the West. Edited to add: They've also recouped picks already by trading away Popovich, Hawel and Lalonde so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
ETA is easily one of the best posters on this board...people keep complaining about posters and making accusations about who's who on this board. Quite honestly, I have no idea who ETA is but he is one of the most informed posters on this site. Why do you care who he is?

its pretty obvious, look at his history of posts. i just dont like him attacking another poster about fair criticism of a player hes connected too is all. if your connected to a player, be honest about it or dont comment at all. i have no doubt hes a very good poster, but he should be just as good when it comes to criticism of players hes connected too, when that stops, its worth bringing up. other posters should be free to criticize anyone they see fit. just because someone is connected to that player doesnt mean they are free from criticism.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I think when you consider the Redblacks season (ouch) and losing the Fury, OSEG may need some good news. Another 67's run to a championship may be just what they need. I have no issue with selling a bit of the future to tune up the team. As long as there is a sell off next year to recoup some of the losses. I was one of those woulda, coulda, shoulda guys last year. 30 years as a Season Ticket Holder. I have seen the ups and the (really bad) downs, so I don't mind a retooling year then and again.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It is very possible if DiPietro doesn't go down, the momentum would not have shifted. That said, the team in front of Andree really wasn't prepared for the shift in effort the Storm gave Ottawa either.

It is tough to say what the reason was.

The only thing we know for sure is Guelph traded players for Suzuki and Ottawa didn't. Guelph won and Suzuki was the mvp of that series.

If Ottaw ahd have traded Tolnai in a deal for Suzuki last year, we'd still have the same team (relatively speaking) this year and possibly a championship banner. Not only would Ottawa have had more talent, they'd have kept that player away from Guelph.

I am fine with their approach last year BTW. We had open OA spots that needed to be filled and were 9 forwards deep. No one quite expected Guelph to push that hard. london was out of cards, saginaw had made their moves and it looked like SSM weren't going to do anything. Sudbury was young and Oshawa was pushing assets forward. I read the market the same way Boyd did. It is unfortunate but it happened.

All we can do is learn from that and apply what we have learned.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What many fail to realize is that Guelph did subtract players. They dealt Merkley earlier in the year, bringing back significant picks. Also dealt Bertuzzi (prev 1st rounder) and Primeau for substantial picks. At the deadline Woolley was the biggest piece to be traded away, not a former 1st rounder but a very solid stay at home D with 2 years eligibility who is now on Owen Sound's top pairing. Also traded Kirwin to OS (again, not 1st round talent but a top 6 two-way forward.)

You are correct that they didn't trade away Chayka, thankfully didn't have to.

If Matier is traded you give up less picks. If Tolnai is part of a trade for a big fish you're throwing in a 2nd and a couple 3rd's simply due to his stats line, IMO.

guelph also traded two 3rd round “01 born players to Kingston. Burnett effectively dealt away the 2017 draft.

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
Have you looked at the stats to see how Guelph is doing this year? 8-game win streak, 2nd highest win percentage in the West. Edited to add: They've also recouped picks already by trading away Popovich, Hawel and Lalonde so far.

I did look at the standings and while I don't discount the current winning streak (which is admirable), you're still 5th overall in a very tough conference with a lot of season to be played and where much of your competition is likely to load up. Where that puts you come the end of the season remains to be seen. Hopefully you can remain competitive for the balance of this year and beyond based on the moves you made previously and additional moves this year and beyond, Ultimately time will tell which approach ends up being the better one.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I did look at the standings and while I don't discount the current winning streak (which is admirable), you're still 5th overall in a very tough conference with a lot of season to be played and where much of your competition is likely to load up. Where that puts you come the end of the season remains to be seen. Hopefully you can remain competitive for the balance of this year and beyond based on the moves you made previously and additional moves this year and beyond, Ultimately time will tell which approach ends up being the better one.

They have a Championship banner hanging front heir rafters. I am not too sure you can criticize a team for winning a championship.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

I'm not expecting them to go back to back, but I think they'll be ready to push for another banner in two to three years.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
arent you yule's dad or something?

No. Nor am I Oliver True's. I used those two players to support my argument. I could have used Nolan Gardiner or David Pearce or Connor Graham or Adam Craievich but I thought current or more recent examples would make more sense.

My argument is that players with points in the teens are basically interchangeable whether they were drafted in the 1st round or the 4th or 6th or the 13th. Once a player has a year under his belt, his draft status matters little compared to his production. Therefore if the goal is to attract the "big fish", be it Thomas or Hayton or whomever, Tolnai would certainly be a piece, but not a centerpiece in attracting one. The fact that he was Ottawa's 1st rounder is no longer as relevant as his point production. Having said that, 19 OHL GMs have the opportunity to squash that argument.

And in now way was I 'attacking' anyone. I was taking a fun jab at OMG's having little or no use for some players and he knows that.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No. Nor am I Oliver True's. I used those two players to support my argument. I could have used Nolan Gardiner or David Pearce or Connor Graham or Adam Craievich but I thought current or more recent examples would make more sense.

My argument is that players with points in the teens are basically interchangeable whether they were drafted in the 1st round or the 4th or 6th or the 13th. Once a player has a year under his belt, his draft status matters little compared to his production. Therefore if the goal is to attract the "big fish", be it Thomas or Hayton or whomever, Tolnai would certainly be a piece, but not a centerpiece in attracting one. The fact that he was Ottawa's 1st rounder is no longer as relevant as his point production. Having said that, 19 OHL GMs have the opportunity to squash that argument.

And in now way was I 'attacking' anyone. I was taking a fun jab at OMG's having little or no use for some players and he knows that.

The irony is that afternoon I was looking at Kenny Walls lineup card. I don’t usually. I haven’t really paid attention to point totals this year as all. I was in Scotland golfing for two weeks so I did miss a good portion of the early season.

I noticed Tolnai had 2 or 3 points and I chuckled at the fact Tourigny had the same point totals and thought that maybe this would impact his trade status. Then, that night, you post what you said.

You were more “sobering” about it than I am though. In this sport there is always a GM out there that thinks they can put a player back on track etc. (Pointing directly at Robinson). We see it all the time. That said, there is no doubt Tolnai would have been the centrepiece ina. Deal for Suzuki and Durzi last year and it willbe tough to make that arguement this year without adding an uncomfortable number of picks.

I feel he has been elevated tot he wing with Hoelscher and Quinn to specifically add to point totals so as to elevate his value, or at least eliminate the deflation of the value.

We’ll see whether that has any effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad