Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidetackle

Feb 24, 2019
That time when the team was ranked #1 in the country and all the complaints on the chatter board are about unsupervised kids and local restaurants (not that any of you are wrong about either!).

Mark this down as ‘nice problems to have’.

I believe the ranking is meaningless at this point in the season.

The pressuring concern is what is going to be done about the offense for this team, starting all these rookies has me worried.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I believe the ranking is meaningless at this point in the season.

The pressuring concern is what is going to be done about the offense for this team, starting all these rookies has me worried.

What better way is there to assess a rookie than a real life audition? Every night a different rookie in a different situation. Very little need to worry, Mr Boyd and Mr Tourigny know not to panic in September.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yule will not be a point producer. He doesn't feel the play enough to take advantage of loose pucks with his size. Plus the team doesn't really generate offense in a manner that suit jamming the net.

Tolnai "should" develop over the course of the year. You have to remember that as they acquire a couple more bodies, the depth on wings will filter down. I like Beck, he shows a heck of a lot of promise, as does Johnston and Sirizzotti but they are 16 years old and there is only so much you can expect. They need protected ice on the 4th line this year with injury fill in time as needed.

We know we'll get offense from Keating and Rossi. We will need one more dynamic player though. We'll see what happens.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
What better way is there to assess a rookie than a real life audition? Every night a different rookie in a different situation. Very little need to worry, Mr Boyd and Mr Tourigny know not to panic in September.
I agree there's no need to panic especially that despite some offensive shortcomings we are 3-0 albeit against mid to lower tier teams. Our D and goaltending will win us many games in the meantime. I do think however we need to get somebody to play with Quinn sooner rather than later as right now he's kind of on an island on the second line with players that can't keep up with him or position themselves to benefit from his play. As OMG mentioned I am not sure Hoelscher is the best fit with him. I know he only has one goal but I've been very impressed by Quinn and he's also bigger physically and its showing in his puck possesion and protection. Not saying we need to load up the team now but one acquisition to solidify that second line and we'll be fine. Then wait in December to decide if we go all in.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
So just watched last night's game on PVR...what a wonderful invention. A few thoughts
1- very different team without Rossi, that first line simply doesn't have the same bite. I think we're in tough against the Petes without him as they are a good team. I suspect we suffer our first loss tomorrow.
2-Really like the growth in Clarke's game so far
3-Quinn is extremely impressive imo.
4-Agree with OMG that Beck and Johnston are looking good
5-Yule really stuggled last night, always gives his all but has trouble keeping up with the play
6-Cranley looked good and much more confident
7-Rippon had a great game and looked like he's shaken off the rust
8-We need more from Hoelscher offensively although he did play a solid game as always. I just keep expecting that next level offensively.
9- must admit I was puzzled by Costantini signing but he looked good on D last night, poised and good first pass.
10- still don't fully understand why we haven't dressed a 12th forward yet. Would like to see Sirizotti.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yule will not be a point producer. He doesn't feel the play enough to take advantage of loose pucks with his size. Plus the team doesn't really generate offense in a manner that suit jamming the net.

Tolnai "should" develop over the course of the year. You have to remember that as they acquire a couple more bodies, the depth on wings will filter down. I like Beck, he shows a heck of a lot of promise, as does Johnston and Sirizzotti but they are 16 years old and there is only so much you can expect. They need protected ice on the 4th line this year with injury fill in time as needed.

We know we'll get offense from Keating and Rossi. We will need one more dynamic player though. We'll see what happens.[/QUOTEOMG can you give me some insight on Sirizotti as he has not dressed yet so I guess you saw him in training camp. Anybody else have comments on him? I'm curious as he was pretty highly regarded before the draft.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well good for Sirizzotti as he needs playing timeto develop. I guess the brass feels he's not fully ready. Heck it worked ok for Jack Quinn. That being said I think a move or two are coming to add to our forward core and they figured he would not have had too much playing time. We still have 9 d-men when Okhotiuk returns which is untenable and they really like Sawyer and will need to play him. They apparently decided to keep Sawyer over Sirizzotti as the 4th 16 y.o.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The Rossi suspension screws so much up. Not just for him but none of the lines can be settled and play together.

Boyd can not really do too much until he sees what the other teams have and are looking todo.

There is a deal out there for sure the problem is where is it and what is the cost.

Next weekend should be good a 3 day road trip for the players to get together without the outside interference and 3 good teams to lay

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I am abit annoyed st Rossi for taking a 5 game suspension, it was a stupid move and now it hurts us,
I agree with earlier comments that Tolnai,Robinson and Yule are all playing below their potential and expectations.
I have always been of the believe that we should trade Tol aid and Yule. Let's hope we shake uqpnthe roster abit but Christmas.
We are playing middle of the pack hockey and we realistically could be 0-4 not 3-1
We have had the horse shoe on our side so far.

The Rossi suspension screws so much up. Not just for him but none of the lines can be settled and play together.

Boyd can not really do too much until he sees what the other teams have and are looking todo.

There is a deal out there for sure the problem is where is it and what is the cost.

Next weekend should be good a 3 day road trip for the players to get together without the outside interference and 3 good teams to lay

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The sky is not falling....

Tolnai and Robertson will probably line up together at some point on the third line. We'll acquire a winger for the 2nd line with hoelscher. We'll probably acquire a winger for tolnai as well which pushes beck down to line #4 with crete and johnston. It will just take some time as other teams sort through their needs etc.

Once that is done, we'll be fine provided Tolnai and Robinson manage to find their stride together.

Hoelscher was fine with the upgraded linemate so it does show he is somewhat handcuffed right now on his left side.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
The sky is not falling....

Tolnai and Robertson will probably line up together at some point on the third line. We'll acquire a winger for the 2nd line with hoelscher. We'll probably acquire a winger for tolnai as well which pushes beck down to line #4 with crete and johnston. It will just take some time as other teams sort through their needs etc.

Once that is done, we'll be fine provided Tolnai and Robinson manage to find their stride together.

Hoelscher was fine with the upgraded linemate so it does show he is somewhat handcuffed right now on his left side.
EDIT

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
About the game sunday. It's 2-2 in third. We're midway through a power play and we get called for too many man. Bahl gets sent to serve it. Petes end up with about aminute pp. Tail end of it Matier is on the ice and Gallant scores parked in front of net on his second whack at it. Now please understand I am not blaming Matier alone here. But does Gallant score that with Bahl on that side. I have to ask why was our best defensive guy serving that penalty? I love Tourigny but he dropped the bahl (pun intended) on this one.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
About the game sunday. It's 2-2 in third. We're midway through a power play and we get called for too many man. Bahl gets sent to serve it. Petes end up with about aminute pp. Tail end of it Matier is on the ice and Gallant scores parked in front of net on his second whack at it. Now please understand I am not blaming Matier alone here. But does Gallant score that with Bahl on that side. I have to ask why was our best defensive guy serving that penalty? I love Tourigny but he dropped the bahl (pun intended) on this one.
Look Bahl was already -2; so maybe Tourigny was trying to send him a message. Bahl to me did not look very good on Sunday. Matier will learn from this and try to progress accordingly.

All three Pete's goals were off of rebounds so the Ottawa defence were not really doing their job of clearing the front of the net. Remember defence is supposed to be one of our strengths so hopefully we have a better showing next game.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Look Bahl was already -2; so maybe Tourigny was trying to send him a message. Bahl to me did not look very good on Sunday. Matier will learn from this and try to progress accordingly.

All three Pete's goals were off of rebounds so the Ottawa defence were not really doing their job of clearing the front of the net. Remember defence is supposed to be one of our strengths so hopefully we have a better showing next game.
I agree pretty much with what you're saying but if he was indeed sending a message to Bahl, wrong time to do it. Penalize the player, not the team. A few extra laps in practise, get him to do the team laundry ...jmo. As an aside I really like Matier, big and has this smooth stride. Calm with the puck for a 16 y.o. He's gonna be awesome and will likely be solid in his zone even by the second half of this year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
LOL it is funny

If you looked at Kingston boards this time of the year usually Kingston was playing great and people were talking about the league championship. Then the rest of teh legue got organized.

On here you guys are talking about the world has come to the end and that the sky is falling and we need to dump players after oly 1 week.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

Rossi got a suspension oops
Tolnai has 2 brand new linemates but they are supposed to be playing like hockey god's

It takes a few weeks for players to get used to each other.
Let's see at the end of the month what is happening and stop crucifying Tonai.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

When you see Bahl (usually a penalty killer) serve a too-many-men, I would assume it was he that either jumped on early or failed to come off. I’ll have to review the OHL Live broadcast.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
When you see Bahl (usually a penalty killer) serve a too-many-men, I would assume it was he that either jumped on early or failed to come off. I’ll have to review the OHL Live broadcast.

I was at the game and actually argued with a friend of mine that (prior to them announcing the penalty) there was no way it was for too many men, as they wouldn't have sent Bahl to the box.

On a side note, I've been impressed with Costantini so far possibly even moreso than any of the other first two year defenders. He's smooth, makes good decisions and has played a calm game so far.

It's going to be tough on the road this weekend against three good teams without Rossi, especially wtih Kitchener getting Meireles back today. If the team can come out of the trip with 3/6 points, it will be a good roadtrip for me.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Regarding "the sky is falling"

I don't believe anyone is suggesting the sky is falling. I believe most are providing opinions on roster structure etc.

For example, most feel Robertson, as a 17 year old, should be playing with Tolnai and that Yule is far too slow to run the type of fast paced system the coaches have implemented. That opens a spot on the wing with Hoelscher that would need to be filled.

I also believe many posters have wanted to see some of the other rookies get some ice, which is valid to an extent.

In the end, we are probably short two top nine forwards as the internal candidates are note mature enough to play those types of minutes on this team. They need more sheltered minutes to properly develop and gain confidence.

Who cares about wins and losses at this point in the season? The first three weeks are usually a shit show for mst teams, especially the stronger teams. We are no exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad