Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On another note it seems the Sens are looking in their backyard. The brass including Dorion were at the game today.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Good news for Bahl and Clarke. NJ seems to be selling for draft picks.

Should make camp a lot more wide open

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
On another note it seems the Sens are looking in their backyard. The brass including Dorion were at the game today.

They should have been at the game today. Windsor has some pretty good draft eligibles too.
2-1sts, 3-2nds, 3, 4, 5, 3-6ths, 7; Sens should have fun at this year’s draft.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
@LongBallsWalls
10m
Andre Tourigny on@TSN1200
pregame show. 'Dylan Robinson has a chance to play in March, depending on what the Doc says. Graeme Clarke is days away from returning.'
wow good news for Robinson and unexpected as I thought he was done for the year. I really doubt he will be a difference maker this year though after missing almost a year in the last two seasons, if he is able to be a contributing factor in the playoffs, well bonus. Good for him to get back in it a bit this year with an eye on next year. I do hope Clarke can be a guy to make a difference however.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’d say a rather disappointing weekend to say the least.

Games over the last 6 weeks have shown the 67’s are a top tier team that has and will continue to have trouble against other top tier teams. This is not to say they cannot beat these teams; however, we are seeing them in and around the same level in many ways.

Personally, I still don’t see them beating Peterborough anyway but that is assuming the Petes and Ottawa meet in the conference Finals.

Robinson returning will just muddy the water a bit.

Clarke will help but only if he somehow sparks Tolnai on the 3rd line. The problem is, Clarke is the type of player than needs to be fed. I am not too sure he will have any value unless he takes Belanger’s spot on the 2nd line.

SIDE NOTES:
1>. The deeper this season goes without Hoelscher signing, the more I tend to think he may remain unsigned and return as an OA. Sometimes I just get those feelings and this is one of them. I am jsut not sure he does anything exceptional to be considered a real NHL prospect. HE is one of those guys that does everything well but when they go to the next level, not having that one exceptional skill ends up being muted by all the other players with exceptional skills.
2> I will say the same thing about Rossi. He is leading the league in scoring. He is not dominating like he did in the first half. Players are shadowing him more closely. They are chopping down his space. HE has been unble to separate the same way he did in the first half. HE may very well need that extra year in the OHL. It may also be a good time to juggle the lines a bit. See if some fresh feet beside him makes any difference. Throw Clarke on that line and shift Garreffa to Hoelscher line. Try it for a couple games when Clarke comes back. See what happens.
3> Quinn maybe the most offensive player we have. HE seems more dangerous than anyone else the 2nd half of this season. HE just keeps getting better. He’s getting a lot of attention on the ice but he still manages to find his spots very well. HE keeps improving.
4> Okhotyuk has reigned in his game the last couple weeks. HE is trying more controlled and that is the game we need to continue to see. HE will be in better positions to punish opposing players.
5> Rippon has been great all around. HE may be the smartest D-Man on this team.
6> Cranley needs to play more. I really like his size. HE has very soft pads with great rebound control. HE posts up well. If the defence in front of him keeps the traffic outside, he may be a better goalie than Andree. IF the defence lets the pucks come inside, Andree is better ad flopping.
7> You can see Tolnai play with more confidence, for sure. I just don’t see him being offensive though. HE may round into that great 3rd line centre though. You need guys like that. Unfortunately, you also need first and second line centres and you get those as first round picks. See where I am going here?
8> Sirizzotti is tearing it up in JrA. He’s 2nd in scoring on his team and has played 12 less games. 49 points in 38 games. That is very impressive for a 15 year old surrounded by 19 and 20 year olds.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
It goes to prove that Ottawa is not above any of the better teams in the league. They are going to have to work very hard for everything when it comes playoff time.

We could of been above the rest with a couple of well thought out additions. Boyd decided otherwise and now it is going to be a real uphill battle.

We will have a difficult time because we currently really only have 1 and 2/3 lines of top offensive players. Belanger is not a top offensive threat being a converted defenseman. When Clarke comes back we may use him on the 3rd. line to provide a little more balanced scoring. At least Clarke will improve the 2nd. power play unit.

It will be a real dog fight to win the east and then fight for an OHL championship.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There is another takeaway form the weekend and that Andree is not stealing the games. Not only are the D getting outplayed in front of the net but we are outshooting the other teams but their goalies are superior in making the saves.

I agree that we need to break up the Keating Rossi Gareffa line. There seems at least from what I see and hear that they are an offensive line and that other teams are able to key on them and cut down on the scoring chances.

I think you have to move some players around a bit and see what can be done to even the load. Personally I think moving Hoelscher to the top line would be the best for Rossi's development as he would have to be a leader on the second line and learn more 2-way hockey.

Robinson will not muddy the waters at all/ I think that Tourigny will put him through the paces in practice and that at best he will be a 4th line player for the rest of the regular season in order to get in-game shape.

Come playoffs it will be his production and work ethic that will decide if he gets more ice time.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Sirizzotti scored two more in his last game. Pretty sure we'll see him once the Panthers are eliminated, who knows he might be able to contribute on the third or fourth line. I thought he looked very good when he was last called up.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I’d say a rather disappointing weekend to say the least.

Games over the last 6 weeks have shown the 67’s are a top tier team that has and will continue to have trouble against other top tier teams. This is not to say they cannot beat these teams; however, we are seeing them in and around the same level in many ways.

Personally, I still don’t see them beating Peterborough anyway but that is assuming the Petes and Ottawa meet in the conference Finals.

Robinson returning will just muddy the water a bit.

Clarke will help but only if he somehow sparks Tolnai on the 3rd line. The problem is, Clarke is the type of player than needs to be fed. I am not too sure he will have any value unless he takes Belanger’s spot on the 2nd line.

SIDE NOTES:
1>. The deeper this season goes without Hoelscher signing, the more I tend to think he may remain unsigned and return as an OA. Sometimes I just get those feelings and this is one of them. I am jsut not sure he does anything exceptional to be considered a real NHL prospect. HE is one of those guys that does everything well but when they go to the next level, not having that one exceptional skill ends up being muted by all the other players with exceptional skills.
2> I will say the same thing about Rossi. He is leading the league in scoring. He is not dominating like he did in the first half. Players are shadowing him more closely. They are chopping down his space. HE has been unble to separate the same way he did in the first half. HE may very well need that extra year in the OHL. It may also be a good time to juggle the lines a bit. See if some fresh feet beside him makes any difference. Throw Clarke on that line and shift Garreffa to Hoelscher line. Try it for a couple games when Clarke comes back. See what happens.
3> Quinn maybe the most offensive player we have. HE seems more dangerous than anyone else the 2nd half of this season. HE just keeps getting better. He’s getting a lot of attention on the ice but he still manages to find his spots very well. HE keeps improving.
4> Okhotyuk has reigned in his game the last couple weeks. HE is trying more controlled and that is the game we need to continue to see. HE will be in better positions to punish opposing players.
5> Rippon has been great all around. HE may be the smartest D-Man on this team.
6> Cranley needs to play more. I really like his size. HE has very soft pads with great rebound control. HE posts up well. If the defence in front of him keeps the traffic outside, he may be a better goalie than Andree. IF the defence lets the pucks come inside, Andree is better ad flopping.
7> You can see Tolnai play with more confidence, for sure. I just don’t see him being offensive though. HE may round into that great 3rd line centre though. You need guys like that. Unfortunately, you also need first and second line centres and you get those as first round picks. See where I am going here?
8> Sirizzotti is tearing it up in JrA. He’s 2nd in scoring on his team and has played 12 less games. 49 points in 38 games. That is very impressive for a 15 year old surrounded by 19 and 20 year olds.
Good points as always OMG. I agree the weekend was dissapointing from a results point of view, however having just watched the London game I do think we slightly outplayed both them and Windsor which is impressive in a back to back and London was fresh. Puck luck wasn't there....such is hockey. So I am not worried at all and probably a good thing they lost a few to refocus. I also think the return of Clarke, hopefully a healthy Robinson (I like to think they gaveup 3 picks for a reason) and maybe Sirizzotti could be a contributor makes our bottom 6 likely better. As analizer said we are not the top team clearly but we are up there.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is another takeaway form the weekend and that Andree is not stealing the games. Not only are the D getting outplayed in front of the net but we are outshooting the other teams but their goalies are superior in making the saves.

I agree that we need to break up the Keating Rossi Gareffa line. There seems at least from what I see and hear that they are an offensive line and that other teams are able to key on them and cut down on the scoring chances.

I think you have to move some players around a bit and see what can be done to even the load. Personally I think moving Hoelscher to the top line would be the best for Rossi's development as he would have to be a leader on the second line and learn more 2-way hockey.

Robinson will not muddy the waters at all/ I think that Tourigny will put him through the paces in practice and that at best he will be a 4th line player for the rest of the regular season in order to get in-game shape.

Come playoffs it will be his production and work ethic that will decide if he gets more ice time.

Moving Rossi to the ‘2nd line’ with Quinn is best for Rossi’s development because he will have to be a leader and learn more 2 way hockey seems so wrong to me.
I’d bet Rossi-Quinn would be the team’s top offensive and defensive line.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
To be clear, Ottawa is still the team to beat.

Peterborough, like Guelph last year, is not consistent. But, they are better than every other team when they play their "A" game.

The first line has been more of a power play line lately. Their 5 on 5 work hasn't been as consistent as it was earlier, at least against the stronger teams. This is why I suggest maybe moving some parts around a bit. See what happens. With Clarke coming back, it may provide enough depth to stretch out to three lines:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OMG's comments on Hoelscher/Rossi got me thinking. I agree odds are looking better for Hoelscher to return (too bad deserves to be signed). As for Rossi I still think its Europe if not NHL. But if they are both back, all of a sudden we have a pretty strong team. You can use your import for a good 18/19 y.o. D and we migh be in the mix. So we might not be sellers...although I still think we should do a limited sell.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG's comments on Hoelscher/Rossi got me thinking. I agree odds are looking better for Hoelscher to return (too bad deserves to be signed). As for Rossi I still think its Europe if not NHL. But if they are both back, all of a sudden we have a pretty strong team. You can use your import for a good 18/19 y.o. D and we migh be in the mix. So we might not be sellers...although I still think we should do a limited sell.

If Hoelscher returns, you have your first line centre and scoring winger with Quinn.

The problem is you don't have your second line centre. It is doubtful you will get that in the Import draft. Therefore, you are, by default, looking at Tolnai as your #2 centre. He'll be fine as a defensive type guy that may put up 30 points but it wouldn't move the needle on contention.

In that case, I would look to move Clarke at the deadline but keep Quinn. If Oshawa needs the goalie, I would seriously consider moving Andree. I think Cranley shouldn't wait until he is 19 to be a starter.

It would still keep them competitive but also push some assets forward.

Beck-Hoelscher-Quinn
Robinson-Tolnai-Varga
Johnston-Import-Sirizzotti
Crete-1st rounder-Import

Rippon-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Belanger-Gill

Cranley
Donoso (assuming he is signable)

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
To be clear, Ottawa is still the team to beat.

Peterborough, like Guelph last year, is not consistent. But, they are better than every other team when they play their "A" game.

The first line has been more of a power play line lately. Their 5 on 5 work hasn't been as consistent as it was earlier, at least against the stronger teams. This is why I suggest maybe moving some parts around a bit. See what happens. With Clarke coming back, it may provide enough depth to stretch out to three lines:

Clarke will have to come back firing and filling net for us to have any real chance to win league. London..(few other teams over there )are way too deep in talent over a 7 game series. London looked really skilled yesterday and appear to be starting to roll at just the right time of the season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Clarke will have to come back firing and filling net for us to have any real chance to win league. London..(few other teams over there )are way too deep in talent over a 7 game series. London looked really skilled yesterday and appear to be starting to roll at just the right time of the season.

I didn't see the Windsor game but I do feel we held the balance of the play with London.

Sometimes you play better than your opponent and lose. I think Ottawa did marginally outplay London but London managed to snag 3 goals to Ottawa's 2. Ottawa didn't take advantage of PP's.

The one main advantage Ottawa will have is home ice. That last change will mean a lot.

Reactions: BarberPole9 and LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad