Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Ottawa 67s held the rights of Sergei Samsonov.
Did the 67s sign Samsonov after they drafted him? He never played for them. If he wasnt signed they wouldn't have had rights to him ahead of the IHL.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The one thing that we have not looked at besides Rossi's ability is the money that he brings to the team he plays for. If I am right the 67's would stand to lose a fair chunk of pocket change if he played anywhere but here especially if he is a high draft choice.

I see Rossi coming back next year and starting the season with the 67's. If he is drafted by the Sens then I would suggest that he will stay here at least until the trade deadline. If the team has a shot at the conference championship (before you laugh how many thought we would be this good this year) he will stay and they will build around him and the players that return.

Looking at Binghamton I would suggest that this is the last we see of BAHL and possibly Hoelscher. Binghamton is a crap team with a need for a center that can play both ways and a defenceman that can shut down other teams. This may also be the reason that we are seeing a meaner Okytuk.

Where Rossi plays really has nothing to do with what Rossi or the 67's want it is what does the NHL team that drafts him want.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Did the 67s sign Samsonov after they drafted him? He never played for them. If he wasnt signed they wouldn't have had rights to him ahead of the IHL.

They drafted him. They held his North American rights at the time.

There was a lot of discussion at that time as to whether they would release him to play in the IHL ahead of his NHL draft year.

He was also underage. That's why he had to play for an independent team. He couldn't play for an affiliate.

The 67s granted the request and he played for the Vipers. Otherwise he would have played in Europe.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They drafted him. They held his North American rights at the time.
I admit I wasn't following along with Samsonov's situation at the time. But why would being drafted in one league limit his ability to play in another league if he never signed? Many players are drafted in both the CHL and the USHL for example and can choose which to sign with (or neither) - see Nick Malik.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I admit I wasn't following along with Samsonov's situation at the time. But why would being drafted in one league limit his ability to play in another league if he never signed? Many players are drafted in both the CHL and the USHL for example and can choose which to sign with (or neither) - see Nick Malik.

Admittedly, this was 22 years ago. Rules have changed. Leagues have changed. Agreements have changed.

I believe it was more because he was underage and not NHL draft eligable. That is best guess on my part.

The point isn't what the rules were, it is that Ottawa released his rights to allow his signing with the Vipers. This shows a previous example of the 67s doing it.

With respect to NHL vs AHL vs Europe, we've seen NHL teams graduate players to the NHL prematurely because they don't want the player stagnating in Junior.

If Ottawa doesn't release his rights and the NHL team feels he will stagnate, they will keep him in the NHL or work out a Europe option if wither of those two options are deemed better for his development. So really it doesn't matter what Ottawa wants. This is why it is better for Ottawa to release him from his contract.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You are seeing more and more young players on NHL rosters now. If Rossi can step in and play even limited NHL minutes in his first year, a team will keep him rather than send him back to junior where he will stagnate, or over to Europe where the game is very different than it is in North America. I would be shocked to see Rossi anywhere but in the NHL come October...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You are seeing more and more young players on NHL rosters now. If Rossi can step in and play even limited NHL minutes in his first year, a team will keep him rather than send him back to junior where he will stagnate, or over to Europe where the game is very different than it is in North America. I would be shocked to see Rossi anywhere but in the NHL come October...

We'll see. He's had a rougher time the last couple weeks. Maybe he's just tired or sick. Maybe he misses Keating. Who knows.

But we did see him wear down last year as well. He was leading the rookie scorers and ended up getting passed near the end of the season. He wasn't quite as effective.

This may impact the decision on where he should play. The one thing that may enter the equation is whether he can play an 80 game schedule or if he should play a consistent 68 game schedule to build endurance.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But we did see him wear down last year as well. He was leading the rookie scorers and ended up getting passed near the end of the season. He wasn't quite as effective.

I remember Purfetti finishing strongest among rookies, but Rossi did still finish with most pts/game among rookies and best in league per game +/- Was it not during the 4-5 weeks off with a wrist injury when he was caught or nearly caught in total points?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I remember Purfetti finishing strongest among rookies, but Rossi did still finish with most pts/game among rookies and best in league per game +/- Was it not during the 4-5 weeks off with a wrist injury when he was caught or nearly caught in total points?

He stormed back to take a strong lead and then around 4 weeks left in the season, he slowed down and perfetti and Byfield surged.

So, if a similar thing happens, i cold see an NHL team wanting to see a stronger 68 games with no fatigue.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OKAY

I think we can all agree that Rossi is a crap shoot as NHL next year.
Personally I think he will be back, will he finish the year here not sure.
The NHL team that drafts him is going to tell him what they want him to improve and his lifestyle (eating, exercising and fitness) can be a big point for them.
If he is having trouble with the OHL schedule against players of this size and skill he is NOT ready for the NHL. Europe is not a plan because the schedules are smaller.
Coming back the OHL and learning how to play a full season and showing that he can gain the muscle and stamina to go the long run could be the reason. He will though stay as long with the team as he can.

Keeping a player for the year and not playing him does not always work just look at Erik Gubrandsen Florida tried that sent him back and he was a flop. This was because Florida did not trust Gilmour at least here there is a coaching staff that will do what the NHL team wants.

The one thing I know is that we have no control so let's enjoy him and this team this year.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OKAY

I think we can all agree that Rossi is a crap shoot as NHL next year.
Personally I think he will be back, will he finish the year here not sure.
The NHL team that drafts him is going to tell him what they want him to improve and his lifestyle (eating, exercising and fitness) can be a big point for them.
If he is having trouble with the OHL schedule against players of this size and skill he is NOT ready for the NHL. Europe is not a plan because the schedules are smaller.
Coming back the OHL and learning how to play a full season and showing that he can gain the muscle and stamina to go the long run could be the reason. He will though stay as long with the team as he can.

Keeping a player for the year and not playing him does not always work just look at Erik Gubrandsen Florida tried that sent him back and he was a flop. This was because Florida did not trust Gilmour at least here there is a coaching staff that will do what the NHL team wants.

The one thing I know is that we have no control so let's enjoy him and this team this year.
Yes you're right let's just enjoy it, we haven't had a player of his talent level in a long time! Got me wondering which was the last one at that level for the poles at 18y.o.? Monahan was very good, Couture was good but had injury issues at that age but I think Rossi is more dynamic than they were at that age. McCauley maybe his best comparaisons. At least next year if Rossi is gone we'll still have Quinn to get us out of our seats.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Sirizzotti continues to light it up in tier 2. 39 pts in 28 games! Top point per game on his team as a sixteen year old. Expect big things from him and team made the right decision to give him a year.I saw a big difference in his play on his second call up with the poles, he's developing well and should be a big piece next year. I suspect he'll be brought up when his team is done and who knows might be able to contribute down the stretch and give us depth in case of injury.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Sirius

Sirizotti played with Johnson last year so i would expect him to slot in withTolnai if he does.

I would say that the last player that we had might have been Peca. MacAuley would have been good but he had concussion issues the same as Savard did in Oshawa.
Just did not tell anyone.
What about Tessier

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just read n another thread that Nikita will only be 19 when the season starts does that mean he will not be OA?

That would be a nice break for us the Devils as well as him.

We think he is a tank now imagine another year older and a bit bigger an meaner

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Just read n another thread that Nikita will only be 19 when the season starts does that mean he will not be OA?
No. The late birthday only impacts their draft year. Every 2000 born is considered an OA next year.

He is signed and I wouldn't expect him to be back next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
No. The late birthday only impacts their draft year. Every 2000 born is considered an OA next year.

He is signed and I wouldn't expect him to be back next year.

Looking at Binghampton right now I think he and Bahl will have a better than even chance of making the team. The only hiccup is what the new Management wants to do

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
They will both be playing pro next year - AHL (Binghamton) or ECHL (Adirondak); players generally don't sign an ELC until the NHL team determines they are ready to make this step.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes you're right let's just enjoy it, we haven't had a player of his talent level in a long time! Got me wondering which was the last one at that level for the poles at 18y.o.? Monahan was very good, Couture was good but had injury issues at that age but I think Rossi is more dynamic than they were at that age. McCauley maybe his best comparaisons. At least next year if Rossi is gone we'll still have Quinn to get us out of our seats.

Corey Locke

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sirizzotti continues to light it up in tier 2. 39 pts in 28 games! Top point per game on his team as a sixteen year old. Expect big things from him and team made the right decision to give him a year.I saw a big difference in his play on his second call up with the poles, he's developing well and should be a big piece next year. I suspect he'll be brought up when his team is done and who knows might be able to contribute down the stretch and give us depth in case of injury.

From a pure talent perspective, Sirizzotti was the most highly touted of all the early picks. He'll make an impact next year in the same way Quinn did last year as a 17 year old rookie.

We need to ensure we have solid centres for these young wingers to play with. We are and will definitely be short in that category

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
From a pure talent perspective, Sirizzotti was the most highly touted of all the early picks. He'll make an impact next year in the same way Quinn did last year as a 17 year old rookie.

We need to ensure we have solid centres for these young wingers to play with. We are and will definitely be short in that category
if we lose both Rossi and Hoelscher I wouldn't be surprised they double dip at center with our first import pick and first rounder ( as long as he's the BPA I hope).

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They will both be playing pro next year - AHL (Binghamton) or ECHL (Adirondak); players generally don't sign an ELC until the NHL team determines they are ready to make this step.
Here is a good article detailing the current ECHL landscape. It lists the teams without an ECHL affiliate (LA, Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, Montreal, San Jose). If a player is signed late by one of these teams, they may not have room for them so there is still a chance they are sent back for an OA year (Markus Phillips and Zach Gallant fit that description this year). Other than that, chances are very slim.

Few ECHL options remain for the Montreal Canadiens

Edit: the players from the 2018 draft that may fit this description next year would be:
Cam Hillis (Montreal)
Allan McShane (Montreal)
Jacob Ingham (LA)
If any of these guys are signed late, they would still have a higher than normal chance of being returned as an OA next year.

Edit2: looks like Fedor Gordeev and Ivan Lodnia are the only two other signed OAs that were returned last year. Both Minnesota prospects, so maybe they do things differently in Minnesota? Maybe throw Damien Giroux (Minnesota) in there as a possible returnee next year even if signed?

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
if we lose both Rossi and Hoelscher I wouldn't be surprised they double dip at center with our first import pick and first rounder ( as long as he's the BPA I hope).

From where we are picking, don't expect a player in either of those picks that can step into 20 minutes per game.

The question is whether we can get one of the NCAA bound players to come in and play 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad