Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Minnesota and New Jersey are both teams in NEVER NEVERLAND. The people that drafted and signed or did not sign these layers are no longer calling the shots.

Right now both mgmt's are busy trying to right the ship and get competitive.

If Rossi is having trouble with the OHL schedule and being in shape there is o way an NHL team is going to keep him up. He will have to prove that he can handle a long season.

Travel and practices plus games are a lot harder at the NHL level.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Minnesota and New Jersey are both teams in NEVER NEVERLAND. The people that drafted and signed or did not sign these layers are no longer calling the shots.

Right now both mgmt's are busy trying to right the ship and get competitive.

If Rossi is having trouble with the OHL schedule and being in shape there is o way an NHL team is going to keep him up. He will have to prove that he can handle a long season.

Travel and practices plus games are a lot harder at the NHL level.

It is being said somewhere that Rossi is having trouble with the OHL schedule and being in shape because his production slowed a little late in his rookie season to the point where he finished with the highest per game (+/- in OHL & point total among rookies)?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is being said somewhere that Rossi is having trouble with the OHL schedule and being in shape because his production slowed a little late in his rookie season to the point where he finished with the highest per game (+/- in OHL & point total among rookies)?

No, it's because last season he slowed down at the finish line. The last two weeks he's not looked like he has the same jump he had up to that point.

You can statistically balance the entire schedule all you want. The reality is what happened late last year is real and how he's looked the last two weeks is real.

If he continues to play sluggish for an extended period of time, scouts WILL take notice and question his stamina. That may affect the decision on where he plays next year.

This line of logic is not wacko.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
No, it's because last season he slowed down at the finish line. The last two weeks he's not looked like he has the same jump he had up to that point.

You can statistically balance the entire schedule all you want. The reality is what happened late last year is real and how he's looked the last two weeks is real.

If he continues to play sluggish for an extended period of time, scouts WILL take notice and question his stamina. That may affect the decision on where he plays next year.

It is kind of wacko actually, 22 pts over 11 games since Christmas break. The last weekend was 4 games in four days? That production is down considerably from 2.27 pts/game for the season, but still the first time draft eligible is the league’s top scorer with an outrageous +/-.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
From where we are picking, don't expect a player in either of those picks that can step into 20 minutes per game.

The question is whether we can get one of the NCAA bound players to come in and play 20 minutes.
I would hope a first round pick could handle third line duties initially. As for the import draft if we get a 20 min guy as you put it it depends on two things. Number one is age, do they go for a 17y.o more project type player as not many can come in and do what Rossi did last year. Or do they get an 18/ 19 y.o. that's more ready now? The second point is the import draft is not as much about where you pick as where the player wants to go and your ability to recruit him. You know full well OMG that a lot of it is scripted before the draft with the occasionnal wrench thrown in.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is kind of wacko actually, 22 pts over 11 games since Christmas break. The last weekend was 4 games in four days? That production is down considerably from 2.27 pts/game for the season, but still the first time draft eligible is the league’s top scorer with an outrageous +/-.

He’s had 5 points in his last five games. HE didn’t look particularly outstanding in the prospects game either.

Put the stats aside. Just the eye test would tell you he hasn’t been anywhere near as dynamic as he was previous to those games. It could be a minor blip. However, we did see a slip late last year as well. Eight points in his last eleven games. He did have a solid playoff.

The point is we need to take notice when a certain trend starts to form. He’s played a lot of hockey. Is he wearing down? Is he sick? Is he in need of Keating? There are questions we’d be asking right now but the last 11 games last season was also a stretch where he slowed down quite a bit.

I am interested to see how he performs this weekend.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He’s had 5 points in his last five games. HE didn’t look particularly outstanding in the prospects game either.

Put the stats aside. Just the eye test would tell you he hasn’t been anywhere near as dynamic as he was previous to those games. It could be a minor blip. However, we did see a slip late last year as well. Eight points in his last eleven games. He did have a solid playoff.

The point is we need to take notice when a certain trend starts to form. He’s played a lot of hockey. Is he wearing down? Is he sick? Is he in need of Keating? There are questions we’d be asking right now but the last 11 games last season was also a stretch where he slowed down quite a bit.

I am interested to see how he performs this weekend.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Rossi performs this weekend and ROS, as it will Perfetti now on a line with Suzuki & Coskie and Byfield post deadline additions.
For now, I will choose to believe that he will have some hotter & cooler games and weekends. In the month preceding the Christmas break, another 11 game stretch, Rossi put up 29 points. That was just unsustainable, imo. Over his last 22 games, 51 pts is still the pace at which McDavid scored in his third OHL season.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Dirty Thank you for making my point McDavid played 3 years in the OHL this is Rossi's second therefore there is a reason to send him back.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dirty Thank you for making my point McDavid played 3 years in the OHL this is Rossi's second therefore there is a reason to send him back.

if there was a special exemption rule in place, McDavid would have been in the NHL at 17.
Rossi (18 four months ago) may ultimately play a third season in the OHL; but let’s be honest, there is not a single real good reason for a player absolutely dominating offensively and defensively to be returned to a league that will have graduated it’s oldest, strongest, best players.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Changing topic

Which team past dealilne has

surprised you

Oshawa with the players that they got i thought they would have been a better team

Scares you

Kitchener 10-0 baby

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Changing topic

Which team past dealilne has

surprised you

Oshawa with the players that they got i thought they would have been a better team

Scares you

Kitchener 10-0 baby
I would say any of Sag 8-2, Kit 8-0-2 or Ldn 9-1. In the east I still believe the Pete's will be a tough out when it comes to the playoffs especially with their size. Osh also have to be not taken lightly.

Will see tomorow how Sag does against the 67s since they picked up Suzuki.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Rangers, Knights, ‘67s are solid teams.

surprising:
Storm unable to win at all. Ice dogs winning games. Petes injury luck, they really need a full line-up a dozen games ahead of the playoffs.
scary:
New top line of the Spirit. Firebirds depth & size at every position.
scary & surprising:
Wolves trading for two left shot forwards that are not RW and do nothing to address the back end.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

It actually is very, very wacko.

You are complaining about a PPG pace for a 5 game stretch when one of his star linemates in Keating was out and replaced by the rookie Johnston who hasn’t scored yet this year. Also during that stretch, he played in the Top Prospects game as his first game of four in a row.

In reading a couple posters on this board, you would think that we are back 4-5 years ago when the team was a bottom feeder. We are all entitled to our opinions on a message board but I have chosen to enjoy the ride and great players on this team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It actually is very, very wacko.

You are complaining about a PPG pace for a 5 game stretch when one of his star linemates in Keating was out and replaced by the rookie Johnston who hasn’t scored yet this year. Also during that stretch, he played in the Top Prospects game as his first game of four in a row.

In reading a couple posters on this board, you would think that we are back 4-5 years ago when the team was a bottom feeder. We are all entitled to our opinions on a message board but I have chosen to enjoy the ride and great players on this team.

Maybe some of you need to read better. This isn’t about complaining about Rossi. It is about assessing the viability of him returning to junior next year.

I am making a case that he has slowed down and he did so late last year as well. Therefore, the SCOUTS AND NHL MANAGEMENT may see that as a reason to send him back to junior. Maybe he needs to build up his strength and endurance/stamina. But, that is the ONLY reason to do so.

From a pure talent perspective, he’d be wasting his time in Junior.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maybe some of you need to read better. This isn’t about complaining about Rossi. It is about assessing the viability of him returning to junior next year.

I am making a case that he has slowed down and he did so late last year as well. Therefore, the SCOUTS AND NHL MANAGEMENT may see that as a reason to send him back to junior. Maybe he needs to build up his strength and endurance/stamina. But, that is the ONLY reason to do so.

From a pure talent perspective, he’d be wasting his time in Junior.

building strength, endurance/stamina with relative younger, weaker, less advanced peers in the OHL would also be a waste, imo

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
building strength, endurance/stamina with relative younger, weaker, less advanced peers in the OHL would also be a waste, imo

You could be very right. I'm not saying anything other than pointing out a potential deficiency that may be used in the assessment as to where he plays next year.

I might also add, I've never suggested they WOULD send him back. Only that is could be used as a reason to do so.

Reactions: dirty12

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Who are the 2 whiney little bitches over on the Ice Dogs radio broadcast? I thought the last guy was bad. Having a shitfit and are making every excuse possible for Niagara's ineptness?? Bush! 3-0 Ottawa! :laugh:

EDIT: oh his name is Elliott! lol

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's beat Niagara Ice Dogs 6-0, Keating was back.

1ST 4:21 #24 Joseph Garreffa (26) scores. Assists: #28 Nikita Okhotyuk, #23 Marco Rossi Game Winning

1ST 13:46 #25 Daylon Groulx (11) scores. Assists: #88 Kevin Bahl, #17 Mitchell Hoelscher Power Play

1ST 17:08 #2 Noel Hoefenmayer (16) scores. Assists: #24 Joseph Garreffa, #22 Jack Quinn Power Play

3RD 5:48 #26 Alec Belanger (8) scores. Assists: #27 Jack Matier, #24 Joseph Garreffa

3RD 6:46 #2 Noel Hoefenmayer (17) scores. Assists: #24 Joseph Garreffa, #88 Kevin Bahl

3RD 10:30 #17 Mitchell Hoelscher (27) scores. Assists: #22 Jack Quinn

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Dirty
We are not saying that Rossi has a problem. What OMG and I were discussing was is there any reason that he could be sent back to Junior. Remember there are only 2 choices stay at the NHL level or come back here.

Ideally It would be a great idea to send him to the AHL team where he can grow, but that is out with the rules.

At the NHL level, you need all your players able to play especially when you had a bad year last year.
Teams have tried keeping a junior up and not playing him in games just letting him practice3 it does not work.
If the team that drafts Rossi has room and has a plan then they will keep him up. However, in recent history, there have been very few players that have cracked the line up the first year that have worked out.

Having him come back and work on fitness and personal development is never a bad thing compared to him sitting on the bench or in the press box at the NHL level.

Lawson Crouse in Kingston thought that he had done it all and the Coyotes decided that he would develop better with them. It was a mistake he was not ready.

Again what we think here is moot it really does not matter. What matters is what condition Rossi shows up at the rookie camp and training camp in and what the NHL team wants.

Most of us on here thought Hoef would get signed he did not. The other side of the coin is not many thought Monahan would make the Flames and he did.
If Ottawa drafts him we will probably see him in the 67 uniforms so he can show hs flash and style for the fans and they can think about next year.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I view Lawson Crouse the same way I view Curtis Lazar, though - a guy built to do really well in junior hockey, but didn't have the overall skill to be a successful NHL player. I'm not sure that a different development path would have changed anything.

It's worth remembering that back in the day, the Boston Bruins kept Joe Thornton around as an 18 year old. He struggled, only getting seven points all year and getting scratched regularly. Needless to say, it didn't end up hurting him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
To me, if a player is brought up early in the NHL it is no different than a 16 year old playing too early in the OHL.

It comes down to whether he can physically handle it. As long as the player can physically handle it, the mistake of coming up early only delays the development, it won"t ever stop the player from developing. Maybe bad coaching can have an impact but that would impact it no matter what age.

If Rossi is physically able to endure the rigors of the NHL, he can play there in some capacity. If he doesn"r excel, he can go to the AHL the following year.

There is nothing wrong with practising with NHLers and getting used to the travel and NHL life.

Reactions: dirty12

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Odd game today. We were a bit outplayed by Saginaw imo but Andree was excellent and we capitalized on our chances. In fairness however the refs did us no favors the calls missed against us were brutal and it did change the game. That call against Bech was a joke and I am not convinced that goal should have been disallowed, there was not imo "clear" evidence. Anyway I do think we are getting shafted by the refs this year generally, just my opinion.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Speaking of Bech he seems to have left the game shortly after that penalty hopefully not serious. Anybody know why Tolnai was out this weekend?

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
A win against Niagara on Thursday would bump Ottawa's record over the last 25 games to 24-1.

Best stretch of games ever for the franchise?

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
The refs were pretty blind today and it did affect the momentum.
The goal that was disallowed was an obvious goal....sad call from the upstairs ref....boooooo

Reactions: slidetackle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad