Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
Given that Rossi /Quinn were playing 4th game in 4 nights, did not expect a 3 win weekend. A real testament to team’s commitment to fitness. Well done boys.
Did not like to see Bahl drop mitts this weekend...stay healthy

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Given that Rossi /Quinn were playing 4th game in 4 nights, did not expect a 3 win weekend. A real testament to team’s commitment to fitness. Well done boys.
Did not like to see Bahl drop mitts this weekend...stay healthy
Yes about Bahl we need him on the ice. Same thing for Rippon and Okhotiuk, we can't have our top four D fighting like that. It also increases injury risk which we don't need. Bahl was chippy all week end, seemed generally piss.... for some reason, way too many penalties and he was off his game. He needs to stay calm and control the defensive zone which he does at an elite level when focused. Time for Tourigny to have a talk with the little fella!

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
not bad with both are top players playing 4 games in 4 days. get a good rest boys.
Check score sheets, bet they each sat out a game. League has a rule that you can't play 4 in 4.

Edit: looks like they played all 4. I was under the impression this was a no-no.

OHLCynic

Mar 24, 2017
Saw Andree live for the first time last night in Oshawa. Is he always that much of an adventure when he plays the puck? It seemed to create 3-4 solid scoring chances for the Gens.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Saw Andree live for the first time last night in Oshawa. Is he always that much of an adventure when he plays the puck? It seemed to create 3-4 solid scoring chances for the Gens.
for some reason in the past 3 weeks has been way too agressive and cute when handling the puck. Before that was fine, don't know why he thinks he's Marty Brodeuer recently. The coaches will probably clean that up....I hope.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Was at the game. I assuming your boys had an "off night" based on the score? Game was sloppy on both sides and Oshawa couldn't hit the side of the barn. Their shooting is terrible. 2 pretty good fights with Nikita Okhotyuk getting the edge on Giovanni Vallati who challenged him after a clean hit and especially Dawson McKinney filling in Crete with a couple of good hard uppercuts. McShane had a pretty nice goal picking the corner on Andree as Ottawa watched him skate around. MC Other than that, this was a yawn fest.
It could have something to do with Quinn and Rossi playing 4 games in 4 days. In addition, Keating is missing from the first line and neither Johnston or Groulx have done anything as fill ins. I would say Okhotyuk gave Vallati a fairly good lesson about fighting.

We will also improve our overall scoring depth when Clarke returns.

With Oshawa only playing on Friday and the extra day of rest may have contributed to Ottawa lack lustre effort. Lack of jump from Ottawa.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
But seriously how good is Jack Quinn right now? He might end up being a top ten pick in the draft if he keeps up this scoring trajectory.

As with Rippon and Okhotyuk‘s extended absences, it’s impressive that the team is doing this without Clarke and Keating the past two weeks.

If you aren’t enjoying this 21 win in 22 game streak, you really need to give your head a shake!!

I was saying last night that Quinn keeps improving at a tremendous rate. He isn't just on fire right now. It is all aspects of his game that are improving. I can't remember a player improving at that rate over the course of a season to the same degree. At least not an 18 year old.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Check score sheets, bet they each sat out a game. League has a rule that you can't play 4 in 4.

Edit: looks like they played all 4. I was under the impression this was a no-no.

Because the Prospects Game was in Ontario and the travel was light, they were granted permission to play.

Reactions: All the Answers

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I was saying last night that Quinn keeps improving at a tremendous rate. He isn't just on fire right now. It is all aspects of his game that are improving. I can't remember a player improving at that rate over the course of a season to the same degree. At least not an 18 year old.
Yes and its not just his offensive game, twice last night he chased players down to negate breakaways ( granted one was due to his giveaway in the O zone). Don't remember who the first one was but he tracked down Newman on the second one who's a hell of a skater. Impressive to say the least and no penalty's taken. I remember reading earlier this year a knock on Quinn was his skating?? You got to be kidding me. I agree OMG never seen such an improvement and he's getting better every game.

Reactions: OMG67

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Yes and its not just his offensive game, twice last night he chased players down to negate breakaways ( granted one was due to his giveaway in the O zone). Don't remember who the first one was but he tracked down Newman on the second one who's a hell of a skater. Impressive to say the least and no penalty's taken. I remember reading earlier this year a knock on Quinn was his skating?? You got to be kidding me. I agree OMG never seen such an improvement and he's getting better every game.

Correct. Knock has always been -going all the way back to minor hockey - his skating ...and rightfully so.
That said, his skating has steadily improved -with strength and maturity -to point where its not really an issue anymore. Is he explosive fast ? Nope. Is he fast enough. Yup:)

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
All right when are you all going to take on the responsibility of being the heavy favourites to be the OHL representative at the Memorial Cup? Wow the 67’s just keep chugging along. I never really understood the notion of selling off some raised earlier this year? If your goaltender plays even at 3/4 his potential you seem to be the team to beat. Anyone going to touch this post with a 10’ Barbers pole? Great team you have assembled let’s see if it’s your year, a certain amount of good fortune still has to follow even the most dominant teams.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All right when are you all going to take on the responsibility of being the heavy favourites to be the OHL representative at the Memorial Cup? Wow the 67’s just keep chugging along. I never really understood the notion of selling off some raised earlier this year? If your goaltender plays even at 3/4 his potential you seem to be the team to beat. Anyone going to touch this post with a 10’ Barbers pole? Great team you have assembled let’s see if it’s your year, a certain amount of good fortune still has to follow even the most dominant teams.

Keep in mind, other than Beast, no one has really said to sell since a couple games into the season.

The reasons for the sell-off were:

1 - we didn't expect to get Hoefenmayer back
2 - no one expected Rossi and Quinn to be as electric as they have been
3 - there was a heightened expectation that the combination of Tolnai and Robinson would be much more impactful than the relative flop both have been. They'd form the nucleus of a team next season. Not the same feeling now!
4 - no one really bought a bunch of players at the deadline so we didn't have to spend resources to keep pace as anticipated

The expectation was to compete we'd need to add two forwards and a D-Man. But, Hoef came back reducing our need for the D-man. Then, no other teams blew their brains out at the deadline so it turned out we could actually maybe get by with two scoring lines and two lines that can play with a plus minus of zero.

Reactions: Buttsy

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Because the Prospects Game was in Ontario and the travel was light, they were granted permission to play.

Thanks for the answer. Kitchener decided to sit Sebrango Friday in their easier matchup so I figure it was status quo.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

Yup! And that’s not factoring in the ~45 goal sniper - had he not been injured all season - who’s about to rejoin his teammates in the very near future!
#richgetricher:)

Reactions: Buttsy

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Keep in mind, other than Beast, no one has really said to sell since a couple games into the season.

The reasons for the sell-off were:

1 - we didn't expect to get Hoefenmayer back
2 - no one expected Rossi and Quinn to be as electric as they have been
3 - there was a heightened expectation that the combination of Tolnai and Robinson would be much more impactful than the relative flop both have been. They'd form the nucleus of a team next season. Not the same feeling now!
4 - no one really bought a bunch of players at the deadline so we didn't have to spend resources to keep pace as anticipated

The expectation was to compete we'd need to add two forwards and a D-Man. But, Hoef came back reducing our need for the D-man. Then, no other teams blew their brains out at the deadline so it turned out we could actually maybe get by with two scoring lines and two lines that can play with a plus minus of zero.

Well, there goes one of my new year's Resolutions.

LOL

OMG, the thought pattern I had was based on what you said.

I knew Rossi was going to be good. I knew Clarke was going to be good BUT there were just too many holes after that. Then we get Gareffa in a steal. Who expected Hoelscher and Belanger to be a goal, scorers.

But the big thing is as you said no one made any deals that made their team better than US. Oshawa made deals but they seem to be for the future. The West that usually blows things up was quiet.

But I am still getting my way because we did not trade any of our future for the team we have.

Next year this team will still be a contender and will with the right trades and drafts be better than the Gens.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well, there goes one of my new year's Resolutions.

LOL

OMG, the thought pattern I had was based on what you said.

I knew Rossi was going to be good. I knew Clarke was going to be good BUT there were just too many holes after that. Then we get Gareffa in a steal. Who expected Hoelscher and Belanger to be a goal, scorers.

But the big thing is as you said no one made any deals that made their team better than US. Oshawa made deals but they seem to be for the future. The West that usually blows things up was quiet.

But I am still getting my way because we did not trade any of our future for the team we have.

Next year this team will still be a contender and will with the right trades and drafts be better than the Gens.
that's very optimistic Beast but next year will be a reload year ( not rebuild). Look if we get Hoelscher/Rossi back we would be dangerous but should still do a limited sale. I would be shocked Rossi is back as he'll have nothing to prove and dominating 17/18 y.o. won't do much for his development. Would also be surprised Hoelscher is not signed. We talk about Quinn's jump but Hoelscher's has been almost as impressive. As for next year Oshawa will be the class of the east, they've been building for it for two years. I do agree though , although I would have liked one more forward acquisition I am glad we managed to keep our good young core and a decent draft cupboard. If they keep drafting well we should be good for a while

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
that's very optimistic Beast but next year will be a reload year ( not rebuild). Look if we get Hoelscher/Rossi back we would be dangerous but should still do a limited sale. I would be shocked Rossi is back as he'll have nothing to prove and dominating 17/18 y.o. won't do much for his development. Would also be surprised Hoelscher is not signed. We talk about Quinn's jump but Hoelscher's has been almost as impressive. As for next year Oshawa will be the class of the east, they've been building for it for two years. I do agree though , although I would have liked one more forward acquisition I am glad we managed to keep our good young core and a decent draft cupboard. If they keep drafting well we should be good for a while

Sirius this fall is indeed going to be very interesting for the players that got drafted to NJ. The guy that drafted them and the plan he had is out the window. There are many questions in NJ now and they will affect Bahl a great deal as well as the others. Does NJ do a sell-off and dump some of the high priced talents in the idea of building a new team, do they decide that they need to make a playoff run in 2021, therefore, they build through trades and guys like Bahl are left in the AHL and lower.

Rossi I think will be back he especially if he is drafted by the Sens. They are going to want to showcase their pick also Rossi may not have a choice where he plays.

Looking at the best case we would have

Beck Rossi Quinn
Belanger Hoelscher Clarke
Johnstion Tolnai Sirizotti
Crete Varga
Robinson
Groulx

Rippon Gill Shane
Sawyer Constantini
Matier

Andree
Cranley

That is a hell of a team forgetting about the draft picks. We also have an import player as I do not see Okytuk coming back as an OA unless there is nothing available in the first round that Ottawa wants.
I agree that Oshawa is going to be the team to beat if they can get goaltending.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Sirius this fall is indeed going to be very interesting for the players that got drafted to NJ. The guy that drafted them and the plan he had is out the window. There are many questions in NJ now and they will affect Bahl a great deal as well as the others. Does NJ do a sell-off and dump some of the high priced talents in the idea of building a new team, do they decide that they need to make a playoff run in 2021, therefore, they build through trades and guys like Bahl are left in the AHL and lower.

Rossi I think will be back he especially if he is drafted by the Sens. They are going to want to showcase their pick also Rossi may not have a choice where he plays.

Looking at the best case we would have

Beck Rossi Quinn
Belanger Hoelscher Clarke
Johnstion Tolnai Sirizotti
Crete Varga
Robinson
Groulx

Rippon Gill Shane
Sawyer Constantini
Matier

Andree
Cranley

That is a hell of a team forgetting about the draft picks. We also have an import player as I do not see Okytuk coming back as an OA unless there is nothing available in the first round that Ottawa wants.
I agree that Oshawa is going to be the team to beat if they can get goaltending.
First of all we will have 4 overages looking at your lineup. (Rippon, Hoelscher, Groulx and Andree) I truly believe Hoelscher will be gone and Rossi is a big question mark right now.

The defense is not going to really impress anyone with this group regardless of who we draft. Ģill Shane and Sawyer hardly have any OHL experience. You don't jump right in as a D-man and become an immediate success. Matier and Constantini are still going to be learning the ropes and will have a lot more responsible workload next season. I don't see a Thomas Harley emerging from this group.

In addition, Robinson's career could be finished which must be very disheartening for him.

I still say we should of added a Hillis, Dudas, etc. to move us ahead of the pack this season. We shall see how we match up against Saginaw on Sunday.

On a side note why was Boyd talking like he had a deal coming down for someone outside of the league when Dorion told him their was 1% chance it would happen. Pinto would have been a great addition but he is not interested.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Next year's fortunes rest on Hoelscher and Rossi. I doubt either return. In fact, if I had to place a bet right now, I'd say they would not.

Tolnai, although improved a little, does not seem to be an offensive type centre. That leaves us dry on the top 2 lines if we truely want to compete.

Clarke and Quinn would give us two top 6 forwards. That's it. Nothing else.

The back end looks ok. Good enough to be respectable.

I think you have to look at the current crop of 16 and 17 year olds and reconfigure around them. Take a hard look at this coming draft as well.

There is a development gap with this team that leaves a hole in their 01's and 02's. It will be hard to augment those two groups enough to truely compete.

Expect Oshawa to add Perfetti next season. They will be head and shoulders ahead of Ottawa....assuming Hoelscher and Rossi don't return.

I foresee the potential of Ottawa trading Andree and one of Quinn or Clarke. Cranley needs to play. He was a 2nd round pick and he is highly regarded as a prospect. You can't block him for three seasons and then give him the starter job as a 19 year old. That's not fair. It will do Quinn and Clarke no good not having a strong centre either. It will be a developmental disservice.

Of course, we could be wrong and both Rossi and Hoelscher return and that alters this assessment but that is a different discussion. We need to recoup the picks in '22 and 23 where we have no 2nds. We can't go back to back with no 2nds.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG
Until I am told differently Rossi falls into the has to play in the OHL if not in the NHL category as we drafted him and did not get him on loan.

Every other position is a crapshoot. If Rossi comes back then that gives us a top number 1 line next year.

If you notice before my lineup I stated the best case.

I agree this team is ot going to set the world on fire and be a top-ranked team in the CHL but it will be a competitive team that can go further in the league than just a reloading rebuilding team.

The big questions in my mind as I said are

1. Who drafts Rossi - If it is the Sens they will want him in a 67 uniform to light up the league so they can showcase him to the sens faithful
2. The new management at NJ and probably new coach can go either way with the players that they drafted. If they want to go with youth then I would suggest that there is a chance that some of these guys stay at the AHL level. If they decide to go for a cup birth with experienced players even Bahl is assured of a place in the organization next year although to me that would be a big mistake on their part.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As we're more than halfway through a season that has surprised me a lot ( I knew we would be a good team but not this good), got me thinking about the following categories to thi point of the season.
1-team mvp
2- most surprising player
3- most improved player
4- best rookie

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
My choices
MVP- no way around Rossi, been utterly dominant and his +/- is insane. Honorable mention to Hoef who is giving us a true playmaker on the back end we haven't had for a while
Most surprising-costantini, really did not understand this signing but this kid is so calm and almost always makes the right play. Did consider Quinn here but at the end I'm just surprised at the extent of his jump but I did expect it
Most improved-of course Quinn, simply incredible! Hoelscher is a close second and Hoef also needs a mention
Best Rookie-Matier, the more I watch him he's impressive for a 16 y.o. Solid in his own end, good first pass and already competes well physicaly. I also love Bech's potential, he could have the 'Quinn" jump next year

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

The organization had been planning on building to winning this season for years. It made absolutely no sense to sell this year, it was honestly absurd. They are losing Hoefenmayer, Keating, Rossi, Ohytyuk, Bahl, Hoelscher and Garreffa 100 percent. Next year they should probably sell and re-tool.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
OMG
Until I am told differently Rossi falls into the has to play in the OHL if not in the NHL category as we drafted him and did not get him on loan.

Every other position is a crapshoot. If Rossi comes back then that gives us a top number 1 line next year.

If you notice before my lineup I stated the best case.

I agree this team is ot going to set the world on fire and be a top-ranked team in the CHL but it will be a competitive team that can go further in the league than just a reloading rebuilding team.

The big questions in my mind as I said are

1. Who drafts Rossi - If it is the Sens they will want him in a 67 uniform to light up the league so they can showcase him to the sens faithful
2. The new management at NJ and probably new coach can go either way with the players that they drafted. If they want to go with youth then I would suggest that there is a chance that some of these guys stay at the AHL level. If they decide to go for a cup birth with experienced players even Bahl is assured of a place in the organization next year although to me that would be a big mistake on their part.
I could be wrong but I believe rules around imports are different than regular players. Rasmus Sandin was NHL drafted out of SSM and is a 2000 but is in the AHL and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the same thing happened with Alex Nylander a few years back in Mississauga. Given that Rossi is a 01 and is as talented if not more than those two I would say the odds are stacked against you on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad