Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
As we're more than halfway through a season that has surprised me a lot ( I knew we would be a good team but not this good), got me thinking about the following categories to thi point of the season.
1-team mvp
2- most surprising player
3- most improved player
4- best rookie
1) MVP - Rossi - will be MVP of league
Honourable mention to Hoef
2) Most Surprising - Varga - for the price he has brought lots of intangibles - he will be a valuable piece in post season
3) Most Improved - Quinn - what a season and his timing couldn’t be any better - 1st round pick NHL - one of the best releases I’ve ever seen
4) Top Rookie - Matier - has stepped in and after a slow start and playing some wing he is a mainstay on the blue line. Positioning is good and he allows his partner to be more offensive. First pass is excellent as mentioned above. Plays with an edge and will only get bigger and tougher.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I could be wrong but I believe rules around imports are different than regular players. Rasmus Sandin was NHL drafted out of SSM and is a 2000 but is in the AHL and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the same thing happened with Alex Nylander a few years back in Mississauga. Given that Rossi is a 01 and is as talented if not more than those two I would say the odds are stacked against you on this one.

my source

Who can play where… and why

CHL players under 20 whose NHL rightsholder deemed not quite ready for the NHL were required to return to their Canadian major junior team rather than playing in the AHL during the season.

However, for young players signed out of Europe or collegiate players who give up their remaining NCAA eligibility in order to sign an NHL entry-level contract or AHL minor league contract, the minimum age to play in the AHL is 18.

Do you remember nail Yakupov and the fiasco where he was not only not allowed to play in the AHL but was barred from playing anywhere do to his rights being owned by a CHL team that refused to let him go by signing a card transfer,

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
MVP- 1) Rossi 2) Hoef 3) Andree
Most Improved - 1) Quinn 2) Hoelscher 3) Okhotyuk
Most Surprising - 1) Quinn 2) Costantini 3) Matier
Best Rookie - 1) Beck 2) Matier 3) All the others

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
my source

CHL players under 20 whose NHL rightsholder deemed not quite ready for the NHL were required to return to their Canadian major junior team rather than playing in the AHL during the season.

However, for young players signed out of Europe or collegiate players who give up their remaining NCAA eligibility in order to sign an NHL entry-level contract or AHL minor league contract, the minimum age to play in the AHL is 18.

Do you remember nail Yakupov and the fiasco where he was not only not allowed to play in the AHL but was barred from playing anywhere do to his rights being owned by a CHL team that refused to let him go by signing a card transfer,
The Yakupov thing was a long time ago and maybe that caused the rules to be updated. The article you posted seems to have a grey area. The second line you posted seems to confirm what I said as Rossi is technically signed out of Europe and I gave two recent examples (Sandin&Nylander) who both jumped right to the AHL after being NHL drafted from OHL teams.

Your source doesn't include players who fall into both categories but I think Sandin and Nylander prove the rule has changed.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I would say 1) MVP Rossi
2) most improved Quinn
3) most surprising Gareffa
4) best Rookie Matier
5) biggest surprise for playoffs....
CLarke...he will make the 2nd line a 1st line for sure.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Rossi will be 100% done with the OHL after this season, imo. It’s got to be NHL or Swiss league, right? I cannot imagine an NHL team being foolish enough to Rossi to a contract to which he is obligated to stagnate in the OHL should the team drafting him feel he is not ready for the NHL. It would also be very foolish of the ‘67s to complicate future import drafts by not releasing Rossi of any OHL obligations he might have.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Yakupov thing was a long time ago and maybe that caused the rules to be updated. The article you posted seems to have a grey area. The second line you posted seems to confirm what I said as Rossi is technically signed out of Europe and I gave two recent examples (Sandin&Nylander) who both jumped right to the AHL after being NHL drafted from OHL teams.

Your source doesn't include players who fall into both categories but I think Sandin and Nylander prove the rule has changed.

Sandin and Nylander were only loaned to their OHL team which allowed them to play in the AHL early. Was Rossi signed by Ottawa or loaned to Ottawa? If he was signed by Ottawa he is not eligible to play in the AHL.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It would also be very foolish of the ‘67s to complicate future import drafts by not releasing Rossi of any OHL obligations he might have.
I don't believe this is within the 67's control. Either:
a) Rossi was LOANED to the 67's by his Swiss team, and therefore was drafted out of Europe even while playing in North America on Loan, or
b) Rossi was NOT LOANED to the 67's and therefore was transferred to the 67's and drafted out of the CHL.

According to EliteProspects, it looks like b) is what happened (although where EliteProspects gets their info, I don't know). Compare the transactions for Rossi to what happened to Sandin:
View media item 7133View media item 7135

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Yakupov thing was a little more involved than that. Hockey Canada realized that if Yakupov brought them to court they would be on weak footing as they could not prove they had demonstrated due diligence in communicating to Nail that there were repercussions of the CHL-NHL agreement prior to signing with the Sting. I imagine that changes were made after that to ensure that every subsequent import that signed with a CHL team was required to sign some sort of statement acknowledging that they understood this aspect of the signing.

Hockey Canada cuts Nail Yakupov loose so he can play in KHL

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
a) Rossi was LOANED to the 67's by his Swiss team, and therefore was drafted out of Europe even while playing in North America on Loan, or
b) Rossi was NOT LOANED to the 67's and therefore was transferred to the 67's and drafted out of the CHL.

According to EliteProspects, it looks like b) is what happened (although where EliteProspects gets their info, I don't know). Compare the transactions for Rossi to what happened to Sandin:

I think it is absolutely in control of all the involved parties. It’s an NHL-CHL agreement. It is not in the best interest of the ‘67s to use any available means to force Rossi to return to the OHL. Imagine the impact in future import drafts of the greyhounds if they feel the need to play hard ball with Pytlik or Malik once they are drafted. Finally, Rossi determines where he will play.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Seems like a dumb loophole players use to avoid getting stuck in the CHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
my source

Yup. And Ottawa could be that team if they chose to be. The question is will they weild that hammer?

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit

It appears Nylander wasn't loaned to the Steelhead but played in the AHL at 18.
Alexander Nylander at eliteprospects.com

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I think it is absolutely in control of all the involved parties. It’s an NHL-CHL agreement. It is not in the best interest of the ‘67s to use any available means to force Rossi to return to the OHL. Imagine the impact in future import drafts of the greyhounds if they feel the need to play hard ball with Pytlik or Malik once they are drafted. Finally, Rossi determines where he will play.
Didnt this happen with Zadina once the Wings drafted him. Ended up being Zadina was loaned and didnt have to go back to MooseJaw, and allowed him to play in AHL and NHL.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
1) MVP - Rossi - will be MVP of league
Honourable mention to Hoef
2) Most Surprising - Varga - for the price he has brought lots of intangibles - he will be a valuable piece in post season
3) Most Improved - Quinn - what a season and his timing couldn’t be any better - 1st round pick NHL - one of the best releases I’ve ever seen
4) Top Rookie - Matier - has stepped in and after a slow start and playing some wing he is a mainstay on the blue line. Positioning is good and he allows his partner to be more offensive. First pass is excellent as mentioned above. Plays with an edge and will only get bigger and tougher.
Good point with Varga, he has been a good acquisition!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yup. And Ottawa could be that team if they chose to be. The question is will they weild that hammer?
I doubt very much they would wield the hammer so to speak. Not in their future interest to do so. If Rossi is not in the NHL, him, his agent and NHL team will decide what is best for his development whether its the 67's(doubtful) or Europe as by the terms of the agreement AHL is not an option. In that scenario its not the 67's that would block it but likely the chl as they will want to protect their agreement imo. As for Europe if that's where Rossi wants to go I fully expect they release him.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Just saw a tweet by Kenny Walls that the 67's have the mosp pp goals in the league but the least pp chances. Says two things
1- our pp is stellar
2- very odd to me that the top team in the league has the least penalties called against them, its usually the other way around, especially with how this team skates. Been thinking all year we don't get much calls but put it down to "homer" goggles...now I wonder!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It appears Nylander wasn't loaned to the Steelhead but played in the AHL at 18.
Alexander Nylander at eliteprospects.com
Weird, you are right that eliteprospects isn't showing the loan in their Transactions section. It doesn't show as loan in the Transactions section but it does in the Player Statistics section. I would treat the eliteprospects info with a healthy dose of skepticism.
View media item 7137
Didnt this happen with Zadina once the Wings drafted him. Ended up being Zadina was loaned and didnt have to go back to MooseJaw, and allowed him to play in AHL and NHL.
Yes, here is a lot of detail on the Zadina situation. In his case, the contracts were reviewed by the NHL and it turned out he was only on loan for a year to the CHL team.

It *appears* that Filip Zadina’s contract will allow him to play in the AHL, per Khan, HSJ and Custance

All of these players are under contract with their CHL teams. Show me an example of a player under contract to a CHL team that went and played in Europe (other than Nail Yakupov). It has nothing to do with the CHL-NHL agreement, but it has everything to do with the contract that the player signed with their CHL team.

Everything hinges on what contract was signed between Rossi and the 67's.

Again, Yakupov is the only example I am aware of in which a player who was contracted to a CHL team played elsewhere, and that was only because Hockey Canada released him once they realized they were on shaky legal footing. Based on the evidence we have of previous players, contracts are strictly adhered to even after drafted into the NHL.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
upload_2020-1-22_16-37-8.png
Lassi Thompson was drafted out of the CHL (Kelowna Rockets) who held his rights. After the Sens drafted him, he was released by Kelowna to go back and play in Finland.

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Weird, you are right that eliteprospects isn't showing the loan in their Transactions section. It doesn't show as loan in the Transactions section but it does in the Player Statistics section. I would treat the eliteprospects info with a healthy dose of skepticism.
View media item 7137

Yes, here is a lot of detail on the Zadina situation. In his case, the contracts were reviewed by the NHL and it turned out he was only on loan for a year to the CHL team.

It *appears* that Filip Zadina’s contract will allow him to play in the AHL, per Khan, HSJ and Custance

All of these players are under contract with their CHL teams. Show me an example of a player under contract to a CHL team that went and played in Europe (other than Nail Yakupov). It has nothing to do with the CHL-NHL agreement, but it has everything to do with the contract that the player signed with their CHL team.

Everything hinges on what contract was signed between Rossi and the 67's.

Again, Yakupov is the only example I am aware of in which a player who was contracted to a CHL team played elsewhere, and that was only because Hockey Canada released him once they realized they were on shaky legal footing. Based on the evidence we have of previous players, contracts are strictly adhered to even after drafted into the NHL.

treat Rossi’s situation as his, not Yakupov’s or Hayton’s or Lindros’ or any other. There has not been a peep out of the ‘67s or Rossi or his agent, but I’m quite certain that everyone knows there is nothing for the OHL to offer him next season; and, I’m quite certain no one wants to complicate things by sending him back to the OHL to stagnate if it is not something he whole heartedly wants.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Well, I am quite certain that if his contract says property of 67's, then it means OHL or NHL. Which leads me to believe there is a very good chance he is back next year. I guess we agree to differ on this.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, I am quite certain that if his contract says property of 67's, then it means OHL or NHL. Which leads me to believe there is a very good chance he is back next year. I guess we agree to differ on this.

The Ottawa 67s held the rights of Sergei Samsonov. SAmsonov requested his release and Kilrea released him to play for the Vipers in the IHL. I know it was over 20 years ago but that is an example of the 67s releasing rights of a player for that players best interest.

I am not saying the 67s wouldn't play hard ball and force the issue but I doubt they would, especially in what would be considered a rebuilding year.

If he comes back, it would be in their best interests to trade him.

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad