Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As far as I am aware, the Ottawa 67s hold his rights. The 67s can release his rights if the NHL team requests it...and pays $$$ I would think.

Rossi is talented enough to play 4th line type minutes getting used to the speed at the NHL level. His overall game is strong enough, especially defensively.

IMO, he'd be better off playing in the AHL where he'd get more meaningful minutes but that is up to his drafting team and the 67s.

Regarding the Senators getting both Rossi and Byfield, that would be quite the fortunate luck. I know it sort of lines up but they will need to win a top 2 lottery pick to get Byfield or Lafreniere. They'd then have to hope Rossi drops out of the top 6. I can't see SJ picking earlier than 7th unless they win the lottery. There are some scenario"s but it would be very fortunate.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
In those cases the player is on ‘loan’

Yup, but as discussed on the main board - and perhaps here - in the past, the specifics of transfers and loans in the context of the Import Draft and how it applies to the NHL-CHL agreement can be a bit opaque. With Jokiharju, the press release at the time was that Portland signed him, not that he was loaned, and there was never any listing as such.

For all the same reasons stated above about how Rossi's selection was negotiated before the draft, I would personally be surprised if Rossi's agent/people did not anticipate this and give themselves the option of the AHL down the line.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
IMO, he'd be better off playing in the AHL where he'd get more meaningful minutes but that is up to his drafting team and the 67s.
I don't believe this can be "negotiated" after the fact to suddenly discover that the player was on loan the whole time.
With Jokiharju, the press release at the time was that Portland signed him, not that he was loaned, and there was never any listing as such.
Press releases can be opaque, it doesn't mean though that the loan agreement wasn't in place the whole time and just poorly communicated.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't believe this can be "negotiated" after the fact to suddenly discover that the player was on loan the whole time.

Press releases can be opaque, it doesn't mean though that the loan agreement wasn't in place the whole time and just poorly communicated.

If the NHL team requests his rights to be released, the junior team would do it.

in the Rossi case, if the NHL team requests it and the 67s don't release him, he'll go to Europe.

This is assuming the NHL club does, in fact, not want him to play Junior another year.

The 67s did this in the past with Samsonov. They held his rights and released them so he could play in the IHL for the Detroit Vipers. He wasn't going to play for Ottawa either way so why bother being a road block?

Reactions: HockeyPops

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
Forgot about Samsonov rights being owned by Ottawa....would Ottawa have a tittle under belt in ‘96 if we got him to report??
It was probably a long shot at the time ..since I think this was pre-Hunt

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Did Samsonov sign with the 67s?

I'd have to look to make sure but I believe the 67s drafted him and he stayed in Russia. He then wanted to play in the IHL (prior to his nhl draft) but the 67s held his rights in North America. The 67s had to release their rights on him so he could play pro in North America.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Forgot about Samsonov rights being owned by Ottawa....would Ottawa have a tittle under belt in ‘96 if we got him to report??
It was probably a long shot at the time ..since I think this was pre-Hunt

It was 1997 championship season where Ottawa lost something like 12 games and were ranked #1 but lost Oshawa in the Finals. The Memorial Cup was in Hull that year too. Chris Philips Lethbridge team won the Memorial Cup that year.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He then wanted to play in the IHL (prior to his nhl draft) but the 67s held his rights in North America. The 67s had to release their rights on him so he could play pro in North America.
Seems odd. Pretty sure players drafted in the CHL that don't sign can still come and play in another league over here (ie. USHL). Don't think drafting them into the CHL precludes their right to play in another NA league.

Did Saginaw have to release the rights to Martin Necas to allow him to play in the AHL for Charlotte?

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
It was 1997 championship season where Ottawa lost something like 12 games and were ranked #1 but lost Oshawa in the Finals. The Memorial Cup was in Hull that year too. Chris Philips Lethbridge team won the Memorial Cup that year.

Olympiques won Mem Cup as the host

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Seems odd. Pretty sure players drafted in the CHL that don't sign can still come and play in another league over here (ie. USHL). Don't think drafting them into the CHL precludes their right to play in another NA league.

Did Saginaw have to release the rights to Martin Necas to allow him to play in the AHL for Charlotte?

He wasn't at draft age so it is possible he had to reach his draft year. Back then the IHL consisted of some independent teams. Detroit Vipers were one of them. Because they were independent, he could sign directly with them. But, the 67s held his rights and could block it. They had to release him.

Keep in mind, that was 20 years ago and things may have changed.

All I am saying is there is an example of the 67s releasing rights for a player prior to the rules dictating it.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Olympiques won Mem Cup as the host

They did indeed, with Christian Dube. I recall a great game between Lethbridge and Hull where Hull went ahead 6-2 in the second period and Lethbridge came back to win 7-6 in OT.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Change of subject.

I missed the 50/50 numbers on Sunday, so I went on the website to get them. They post the winners of each draw. I noticed that the same woman has won the 50/50 in Nov as well as in January, twice. What are the odds of someone winning the 50/50 three times in such a short time? She is either the luckiest woman around, or something is up....

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Change of subject.

I missed the 50/50 numbers on Sunday, so I went on the website to get them. They post the winners of each draw. I noticed that the same woman has won the 50/50 in Nov as well as in January, twice. What are the odds of someone winning the 50/50 three times in such a short time? She is either the luckiest woman around, or something is up....

That's not luck, sir.

I'd just burn the place down and ask questions later.... But that's me.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Change of subject.

LOL, owners wife uses her maiden name so no one puts it together? That is some luck....:huh:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
IMO Ottawa is not using a “London” model. They are putting in the work that it takes and are drafting well. I think the difference in the annually competitive teams is the work factor. Some teams take the summer off and use Craig Buttons Top 100 list others are watching video and working the phones to make sure draftee’s report. :thumbu:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
IMO Ottawa is not using a “London” model. They are putting in the work that it takes and are drafting well. I think the difference in the annually competitive teams is the work factor. Some teams take the summer off and use Craig Buttons Top 100 list others are watching video and working the phones to make sure draftee’s report. :thumbu:

I think that's rather presumptuous,

I believe every team works their arse off. The difference is the investment in resources. Some teams, like Ottawa, have a large scouting staff and resources they spend on increasing their viewings to get a better feel for players in the draft. Same goes for influence in Europe.

Teams like London built their reputation using more shady tactics. I believe they have abandoned those shady tactics long ago but their success allowed them to build a stellar foundation from which they've been able to maintain success.

Success breads success. We are seeing that this year with the 67s. No one predicted they were potentially a better team this year than last. I believe that has a lot to do with building the franchise back up and taking advantage of all the sacrifices they made under Jeff Brown. Trading guys like Konecny is an example of sacrifices that were made. Jack Quinn was picked with one of those picks we got back in that deal. Felhaber was acquired with picks we received in that deal.

As mentioned by other posters, we need to sell off a couple players next year if Rossi and Hoelscher do not return but that doesn't mean we bottom out. We'd still remain competitive.

Once we're considered a more solid franchise with a proven track record, it will be more likely we convince some NCAA bound players to commit to Ottawa.

Also, this team has committed to drafting a lot of difficult sign players. You have to first draft those players before you can sign them. I hope they keep looking at those avenues.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Not sure where to place this question, so I will put it here since OTT had 2 players in the Prospects’ game. Does playing Thursday limit a player’s availability to his team playing a 3 in 3 weekend Friday – Sunday, either by League rule or team’s preference?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not sure where to place this question, so I will put it here since OTT had 2 players in the Prospects’ game. Does playing Thursday limit a player’s availability to his team playing a 3 in 3 weekend Friday – Sunday, either by League rule or team’s preference?
Soo had 2 players playing in the Prospects game last night (Pytlik and O'Rourke) and in a local newspaper article last night, it said they were both expected to play for the Soo tonight.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

A player is not allowed to play 4-in-4.

A team can request to the CHL that they get an exception and to play but the CHL would have to allow it.

2 years ago Gens had Noel/McShane/Gross play in the Thursday Top Prospects game then had a 3-in-3 that weekend and all 3 of them had to sit out a game that weekend. McShane sat out the Saturday and Noel/Gross sat out the Sunday

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Players can not play 4 games in 4 nights. Team can chose which game of the other 3 they want them to sit but I'm not sure if they count the prospect game or not but my gut says they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad