Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
That game reminded me of the 4 games we stumbled through to end the year last year.
After watching that game to night and our weak deadline, I am starting to feel a little disappointed.
I said a little :)

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Yes you are right I meant the fans seem over confident in their new looking team.

Well see what happens tonite,most likely a playoff preview...
Not sure I agree with that statement. We made one big move and one smaller move.It's not like we pulled off what Guelph did last year.

Our fans are confident because of the first half of the season. The Petes were really step for step with the 67's until the break. We slumped like a few other teams (London/Sudbury) who were missing some guys.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Not sure I agree with that statement. We made one big move and one smaller move.It's not like we pulled off what Guelph did last year.

Our fans are confident because of the first half of the season. The Petes were really step for step with the 67's until the break. We slumped like a few other teams (London/Sudbury) who were missing some guys.
I don't believe last night's game really proves a whole lot but in your case it is a win which you badly needed. We spanked you guys 6 to 1 not long ago but it is not going to be the norm for these two teams.

I believe management thinks that a big move was not required as we have Graeme Clarke who should return soon. He will add some offensive power.

As far as Ottawa's goon tactics, they were initiated by Grondin going after Rossi and Paquette slamming Keating into the boards. A team with any kind of backbone is going to retaliate in these situations.

Finally, as a fan for years I believe that management could of done more as they had the resources and could of went to the top of the heap with a couple of notable additions.

Wishing both teams good luck for the rest of the season and hope we meet in the finals.

Reactions: Petes25

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the 67's want to replicate the current London Knights and the old Kilrea days where you have a competitive team and are in the hunt to some degree every year. They want to avoid the boom/bust junior hockey cycle, because when you bust the fans simply won't show up to watch a last place team. Yes, the Petes went all in to get Thomas, but if they don't beat the 67's in the playoffs, and especially if Thomas sticks with the Kings come September, they and their fans are going to have some serious buyer's remorse, much like when Sarnia moved a bunch of assets to the 67's for Konecny and then failed to make a run.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the 67's want to replicate the current London Knights and the old Kilrea days where you have a competitive team and are in the hunt to some degree every year. They want to avoid the boom/bust junior hockey cycle, because when you bust the fans simply won't show up to watch a last place team. Yes, the Petes went all in to get Thomas, but if they don't beat the 67's in the playoffs, and especially if Thomas sticks with the Kings come September, they and their fans are going to have some serious buyer's remorse, much like when Sarnia moved a bunch of assets to the 67's for Konecny and then failed to make a run.

I really doubt there will be any buyer’s remorse for the Petes or any delusions of A.Thomas returning. They got the player while keeping their two ‘03-1sts and two 2020-2nd picks. The Petes got a ‘big fish’ and added as much as any team, really; except maybe Flint, who got two players for one that was not playing.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
MEMORIAL CUP TEAMS IN THE OHL DURING THE KILREA ERA
This also includes the time period that Brian was in the NHL

wins/appearance not winning

St Catherines/Hamilton 1/1 (St Catherines was doing a lot of moving around I think they were the Fincups at this stage)
Marlies 1/0
Kitchener 2/3
Ottawa 2/3
Barrie 0/1
Petes 1/5
Sudbury 0/1
Oshawa 1/3
SSM 1/3
Guelph 1/2
Windsor 0/1
Detroit 0/1
North bay 0/1
Belleville 0/2

So when we are talking a bout s paltry 2/3 record over that many years I think it is safe to say that it is unmatched in the OHL
There are only 2 teams during that time that had a better record and they were in the WHL and Kamloops and Medicine Hat.

The other thing that is not taken into account with a lot of the teams is the injuries that the team had. The early-mid 90's we had a great team but even if we had of traded for a superstar the fact that Alyn MacAuley could to play would have still hurt the team.

How good are the London Knights I keep hearing we should be like they are OK

Under the Hunters, they are 2/3

Kitchener, Peterborough, London and Ottawa have one thing in common. They draft good players and make those that want to be great. You never get a one dimensional player from these teams.

That is why the NHL likes to deal with these coaches and why the players not drafted always get an invite.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
Not a big fan of the knee by Robertson last night.seemed predatory.
Hope beck and keating don’t miss time

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It would seem odd for Pinto to leave a top ranked NCAA program, one where he is having a ton of personal success, half way through the year. Now, I believe that the Senators would love to get him into the AHL as soon as next season, and will make a push to sign him when North Dakota's season is done. It's hardly like the kid's development is stalling while playing at a top shelf NCAA school though, especially when two other Senators picks already play there. This story never did make much sense...

Reactions: Bob Barker

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
MEMORIAL CUP TEAMS IN THE OHL DURING THE KILREA ERA
This also includes the time period that Brian was in the NHL

wins/appearance not winning

St Catherines/Hamilton 1/1 (St Catherines was doing a lot of moving around I think they were the Fincups at this stage)
Marlies 1/0
Kitchener 2/3
Ottawa 2/3
Barrie 0/1
Petes 1/5
Sudbury 0/1
Oshawa 1/3
SSM 1/3
Guelph 1/2
Windsor 0/1
Detroit 0/1
North bay 0/1
Belleville 0/2

So when we are talking a bout s paltry 2/3 record over that many years I think it is safe to say that it is unmatched in the OHL
There are only 2 teams during that time that had a better record and they were in the WHL and Kamloops and Medicine Hat.

The other thing that is not taken into account with a lot of the teams is the injuries that the team had. The early-mid 90's we had a great team but even if we had of traded for a superstar the fact that Alyn MacAuley could to play would have still hurt the team.

How good are the London Knights I keep hearing we should be like they are OK

Under the Hunters, they are 2/3

Kitchener, Peterborough, London and Ottawa have one thing in common. They draft good players and make those that want to be great. You never get a one dimensional player from these teams.

That is why the NHL likes to deal with these coaches and why the players not drafted always get an invite.

I’m sorry Beast but no one can suggest Brian Kilrea was anything more than an average GM.

The real measurement is League Championships. The Memorial Cup tournament is somewhat of a crapshoot.

Each team competes against their own league and measures themselves against other teams in their own league. The results over 4 or 5 games in a Memorial Cup tournament is not a measuring stick for success. That Championship is just icing on the cake for these teams. It is as much or even more of a Sponsorship festival than anything else. It is the CHL’s version of the All Star Game, a Money Grab.

Kilrea won two OHL Championships. That is not enough considering the number of years he was a General Manager. Was he even the GM for the first one in 1984?

Killer was a great developer of talent. HE was a strong motivator. He was an outstanding mentor. Tactically, he was stubborn and wasn’t willing to change during the Championship series and I could argue he was out coached in some Finals (OShawa in 1997 and Guelph in 1998 for sure).

Kilrea is a legend coach. He is far from a strong General Manager. Had he been a stronger GM, his career win% may have dipped a bit but he’d probably had won at least two more championships, maybe even three more. I would argue 1998 and 2003 would have been Championship teams and maybe even 2012 had he traded guys like McGinn and Couture in 08 and 09 and used those assets more wisely.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Kenny Walls says Keating is day to day "as far as he knows". So hopefully not serious. Really don't care about the loss to the Petes, we were due and they played well. But we can't afford to lose Keats.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
2-0 after 2

2ND 16:48 #24 Joseph Garreffa (23) scores.

Strange goal puck was sent down ice stopped by goalie, Owen Sound player collects puck behind net then clears the puck but unfortunately hits his own player and bounces into net.

67's being outshot 22 - 12

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Should put Belanger on first line with until Keats return. Groulx not the right fit, we need more of a skill player to play with the other two.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Should put Belanger on first line with until Keats return. Groulx not the right fit, we need more of a skill player to play with the other two.

The fit is the guy best able to dig in the corners. I agree Belanger is the guy but not just because of skill. Keating plays the dirty game on that line. Groulx can play that game but as you mentioned, he isn’t quite skilled enough.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Overall, a very poor weekend.

They should get a good day of rest tomorrow. Then Tuesday through Thursday, they will probably work hard on their system fundamentals. They were way too loosely goosed this weekend. And, they seemed very slow on Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a few guys were playing sick. IT would explain the lack of intensity compared to what we normally see.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Overall, a very poor weekend.

They should get a good day of rest tomorrow. Then Tuesday through Thursday, they will probably work hard on their system fundamentals. They were way too loosely goosed this weekend. And, they seemed very slow on Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a few guys were playing sick. IT would explain the lack of intensity compared to what we normally see.
Geez OMG a " very poor weekend" ,a little strong perhaps? They beat two good teams and lost to the second place team in the league in a game that was closer than it looked. Yeah they weren't as sharp as we've seen but still pretty good. Bahl was a bit off all weekend, we lost two top 6 forwards against Peterborough and we missed Tolnai on that third line center as he would have matched up better with Grondin. Great weekend...no but not bad at all imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot