Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
If Marco Rossi is expected go #2 in the NHL draft in 2 years time why did he only go #18 in this draft?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If Marco Rossi is expected go #2 in the NHL draft in 2 years time why did he only go #18 in this draft?
The import draft is a strange animal that does not necessarily reflect the "best player available" of other drafts. First kids 17,18 or 19 can be picked. So some teams in contending mode might go for a one year player i.e. 19y.o. other teams looking to the future might go for a future prospect ( hence why I am perplexed with the 67's). Other factors involve where players will go, where their agents or nhl team want them to go and $. This was further compounded this year by a backlog of goalies back into the fray! So you can't read too much in order players are picked imo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's really hard to predict what might happen in a vacuum of course. So tough to predict who actually might be around in one or two years. But I would not be surprised to see some trades from a position of strength to get a key piece or two up front. And then maybe you have a really strong team for a number of years. I'm just not on board with dealing a potential 40-50 goal scorer and a bunch of seconds for 3 month's access to a good goalie this year. I don't think next year's boys are a Memorial Cup team, goalie or not. But the year after kinda looks interesting. Just my opinion of course, I'm clearly no expert.

The problem with the year after is all of our current strength on defense (our FOUR 18 year olds) all age out leaving us with whomever MAY stick as OA’s plus Peric and whomever we drafted this year. The back end will be decimated. That is the problem.

Realistically speaking, we should either choose this year or next. This year we have the glut of 19 year old forwards plus the OA Felhaber plus four 18 year old D-Men and two 19 year old D-Men. So we trade off a little age on defense to take advantage of the offense. OR we try to make a run next year and maybe trade off a player or two that are current 19 year olds to bulk up next year.

The safer bet is this season. We have the offense and defense. We jsut need a top goalie and maybe a centre. We’d then have the pieces to make a run. IF we do it next year we have more heavy lifting.

Who knows what the plan is.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The import draft is a strange animal that does not necessarily reflect the "best player available" of other drafts. First kids 17,18 or 19 can be picked. So some teams in contending mode might go for a one year player i.e. 19y.o. other teams looking to the future might go for a future prospect ( hence why I am perplexed with the 67's). Other factors involve where players will go, where their agents or nhl team want them to go and $. This was further compounded this year by a backlog of goalies back into the fray! So you can't read too much in order players are picked imo.

I wouldn’t worry too much about drafting a 17 year old. Hypothetically speaking if his birthdate was a couple days earlier, he’d be eligible for the next draft. If he is a top five prediction for 2020 then he’d most likely be a top five prediction for this next draft. It is rare that that calibre of player isn’t impactful as a 17 year old.

Based on reports, I can’t see this kid not unseating Hoelscher as the #2 centre. Maybe it won’t happen on day one but by mid season he should be the #2 guy behind Chmelevski. That means he should generate scoring and probably be a point per game player finishing in that 60-70 point range. If that is what he turns out to be, I am ok with that. He still stretches out our centre depth.

I’ve had that suspicion that DiPietro is coming here. I still have it. I am not saying I am right but I feel it in my bone!

We all know we need a goalie. Even the management knows we need a goalie. There was too much smoke last year with Windsor which means they did try to pry him away last year. If they didn’t feel they needed a goalie, they wouldn’t have been chasing DiPietro.

I’m not game for trading Tolnai. But, I didn’t expect to get a dynamo in the Import Draft either. With Chemelevski, Rossi, and Hoelscher nailing down the top 3, hypothetically speaking, we could trade Tolnai for DiPietro pretty much straight up. Don’t get me wrong, I DON’T WANT TO TRADE TOLNAI, but if trading him is the difference between having DiPietro and some random scrub screwing up our chances then I trade Tolnai.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
You might be right OMG but hopefully we can get Dipietro without sacrificing Tolnai. We have a shi...load of picks and can sacrifice a D. I just hate to trade first rounders. Heck would the spits refuse Robertson and 5 seconds?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
A second thought, we can't trade Tolnai before the window in January, I want a goalie before that.

The problem is it will be what the seller wants, not what the buyer wants.

If Windsor has decided they want to deal DiPietro and they want a 2018 1st rounder then they will wait until that window opens up.

I think Windsor and DiPietro had a conversation last season around the deadline and he asked to stick in Windsor for last season. I also think he said he’d be willing to move as part of a tear down this season. If I am correct or close, I think he would want to go somewhere to start the season and settle in otherwise he would end up being dealt after the WJHC. If he waits, he will get hounded about it etc...

I think this makes sense. But, just because it makes sense, it doesn’t mean it is true. But if it is true, there is a good chance it was all a done deal or somewhat a done deal last season. At minimum the parameters would be worked out.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Dipietro is not going to want to go to a team unless it is a "guaranteed" contender. Remember he has NTC. I agree with OMG though this team needs to have it's goaltending sorted out in October so that they can build. Get Dipietro if this team is not a contender is a waste as he will not be here next year and we would have to start all over.

As to the import draft time will tell they all look interesting but 2020 is a long ways away.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Dipietro is not going to want to go to a team unless it is a "guaranteed" contender. Remember he has NTC. I agree with OMG though this team needs to have it's goaltending sorted out in October so that they can build. Get Dipietro if this team is not a contender is a waste as he will not be here next year and we would have to start all over.

As to the import draft time will tell they all look interesting but 2020 is a long ways away.

He played for his u-17 team as a 13 year old..... pro at 16.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
If they are potentially building for two and three years out, what about this:

1) Trade 3 x 2nd & 3 x 3rd to Peterborough for the rights to Will Cuylle (ranked 6th in this year's draft);

2) Spin Hoef to a contender for 3 x 2nds to give the young players more icetime;

3) Acquire an 18 or 19 year old Goalie to play with whoever wins backup battle of Andree/Cranley

The team constructed like that can still make a strong push into the top of the Eastern Conference standings and essentially sets themselves up for a massive 2002 age group of Cuylle and Tolnai plus having Marco Rossi (ranked 2nd by some services for the 2020 draft) may persuade others to come to play for what will be a highly scouted team.

In the offseason, they can:

4) 2nd rounders from this year can't be traded until the offseason but the 67's could pursue Josh Barnes from Cornwall (ranked 13th in this year's draft) much Merrick Rippon and trade 2 x 2nds for his rights.

5) At this point, one or both of Dylan Peterson (ranked 8th in this year's draft) or Colby Ambrosio (highly ranked as well) may change their minds giving Ottawa an absolute MONSTER class of draft eligibles in 2020 AND........

The OHL hosts the Mem Cup again in three years when this core would be 19 years old and with a core of Tolnai, Cuylle and possibly Barnes/Peterson/Ambrosio the team could put in a very legitimate hosting bid.

Mild Italian

Oct 3, 2017
Wow, Rossi looks like a HOME RUN swing! Let's hope that James Boyd and Andre Tourigny have worked out all the details to make sure that he reports. He is being listed as one of the top four prospects in several 2020 NHL Draft forecasts.

According to an interview with Rossi, it was Ottawa or Zurich. James Boyd visited him and his family in february in his hometown of Feldkirch. No other team worked as hard as the 67's, to get him to the CHL. His agent had just to make it clear to some Q-teams, that he would not report.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
According to an interview with Rossi, it was Ottawa or Zurich. James Boyd visited him and his family in february in his hometown of Feldkirch. No other team worked as hard as the 67's, to get him to the CHL. His agent had just to make it clear to some Q-teams, that he would not report.
Well sounds like Boyd did his homework. If this kid turns out to be a stud I'm going to have to start liking Boyd

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think you have to look at the goaltending But I do not think we need a one-year rental. I would like to see us either build a goalie from the ranks or take a goalie that will work with them and understands that he is the leader. Rossi size worries me Boyd needs to put some size n his wings. If he is the hot talent that we think he is only here for a couple of years at most.As to trades unless someone offers us a stud I would say that you stay with what you have to see where the rest of the league plays out.

Yes we could be a contender and have a great team BUT we have to remember that there are other teams. Before we say go for it we need to see after the dust settles where this team fits in with the league and conference. If looking at the league and the CHL it looks like a better idea to hold off for a year and then make decisions.about trades.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think you have to look at the goaltending But I do not think we need a one-year rental. I would like to see us either build a goalie from the ranks or take a goalie that will work with them and understands that he is the leader. Rossi size worries me Boyd needs to put some size n his wings. If he is the hot talent that we think he is only here for a couple of years at most.As to trades unless someone offers us a stud I would say that you stay with what you have to see where the rest of the league plays out.

Yes we could be a contender and have a great team BUT we have to remember that there are other teams. Before we say go for it we need to see after the dust settles where this team fits in with the league and conference. If looking at the league and the CHL it looks like a better idea to hold off for a year and then make decisions.about trades.

1>. If we hold off to see where we stand and this is not a contender, we won’t be a contender next year either.
2> If we hold off to see if we are a contender and the piece we are missing is the goaltender, the higher likely it will cost us Tolnai at the deadline because the opposing teams will hold us hostage.
3> At some point you have to piss or get off the pot. The days of waiting around and biding your time are over. The league has changed. That is why Killer was essentially pushed out. Going with what you’ve got is no longer good enough.
4> Prices now are ALWAYS lower than prices at the deadline. If we determine we need a goalie and we know that now, then go get a goalie now. Not only will it be cheaper but you get better value because you get games from day none, not from game 30.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
LOL I am not saying hold off to the deadline I am saying that we should wait until training camp to see what we have. Last year this team made a HUGE mistake before training camp the a lot of people here screamed about. Seem to remember it involved OA goalies.

What I am saying is that we need to see what we have. We know that none of the ur players will stay with their NHL teams They will all be back. What we do need to see is what other teams are in need of and what we can do.

right now the oly star goalie that may be available is Dipietro and he is not going anywhere unless it is a contender. He already said that when he vetoed last year.

Let's see how our present crop of Goalies does and who the other teams are looking to unload The last thing we need is a repeat of last year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
LOL I am not saying hold off to the deadline I am saying that we should wait until training camp to see what we have. Last year this team made a HUGE mistake before training camp the a lot of people here screamed about. Seem to remember it involved OA goalies.

What I am saying is that we need to see what we have. We know that none of the ur players will stay with their NHL teams They will all be back. What we do need to see is what other teams are in need of and what we can do.

right now the oly star goalie that may be available is Dipietro and he is not going anywhere unless it is a contender. He already said that when he vetoed last year.

Let's see how our present crop of Goalies does and who the other teams are looking to unload The last thing we need is a repeat of last year.

First, you cannot compare last year to this year. It is apples to oranges. We are talking about the potential of bringing in The Most Outstanding Goalie last year in the OHL vs a waiver wire claim that was waived through his entire league with no takers.

What is training camp supposed to solve? We have a backup returning from last year. We have a 2nd round pick 16 year old. We have the dregs of whatever we drafted prior to this latest draft. So, exactly, what will training camp solve? We know Andree is not a starter otherwise he would have stolen the reigns last year from that leaking bucket that manned our net last year.

We already know we have a strong team going into next season. We already know that each of the returning players will be one year older and one more year experienced. We already know we probably would have finished with home ice advantage and probably would have won a round in the playoffs had out goaltending not shit the bed all year.

Waiting until training camp resolves nothing. Waiting until October (when the season starts) resolves nothing. If we are waiting (just to see) then we really need to wait until December so we have two months of games in the books. That would at least give us some sort of measure. Once we wait until December to see where we are, other teams with top flight sellable assets start looking at the 2018 1st round picks and hold off until right at the deadline before they move backwards to pick based deals.

So, if we already know just about where we are, the other teams also know where we are as do their players. They already saw us give Hamilton (The League Champions) a good series last year. There is no sense in waiting if players we need are available. Going out and getting them now has proven to be far cheaper than waiting. Some of those players looking for a move and teams that are looking to move them are ready to deal when the trade window opens up in August. Why wait?

To me it makes ZERO sense to wait. Why would we trade MORE for 40 games as opposed to LESS for 68 games? Why wait and get into a bidding war with multiple other teams? If you have ahole to fill, go fill it. Otherwise, just sit back and let shit happen which is what Kilrea did for so many years and be a constant bridesmaid and squandering chance after chance of winning a Championship.

Reactions: sirius67fan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

I understand what you are saying my point is this.
Windsor is not going to trade Dipietro for anything, They are going to want a lot.

The bigger kick in this is that this team was actually developed last year. We knew on paper minus draft picks, of course, that this was going to be a good team last year. That being said Dipietro turned it down.

I do not see any reason for him to change his mind now. If I am him or his family I am looking at who will be THE CONTENDER. If I am going to go out my last year I want to be on a team that has the best odds of making it to the M Cup and playing the longest so that scouts and teams can see me.

Also, I think that we have to take a look at Kingston as much as I do not want to. They played their back up in very few games but he got coaching and ws a star for the team when given the chance. Will these others do that In Ottawa I am not sure?

Training camp will give us an idea.

Next question if we do not go for it this year what do we do for a goalie next year?

Just wondering. As you know I am not one to sell the farm before I have checked what I have.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

I understand what you are saying my point is this.
Windsor is not going to trade Dipietro for anything, They are going to want a lot.

The bigger kick in this is that this team was actually developed last year. We knew on paper minus draft picks, of course, that this was going to be a good team last year. That being said Dipietro turned it down.

I do not see any reason for him to change his mind now. If I am him or his family I am looking at who will be THE CONTENDER. If I am going to go out my last year I want to be on a team that has the best odds of making it to the M Cup and playing the longest so that scouts and teams can see me.

Also, I think that we have to take a look at Kingston as much as I do not want to. They played their back up in very few games but he got coaching and ws a star for the team when given the chance. Will these others do that In Ottawa I am not sure?

Training camp will give us an idea.

Next question if we do not go for it this year what do we do for a goalie next year?

Just wondering. As you know I am not one to sell the farm before I have checked what I have.

First, not only is DiPietro already drafted but he is signed by the Vancouver Canucks to an NHL Contract. So there is zero reason for him to impress scouts.

Second, if the criteria for determining if you are a contender is player through November then no team is a contender. If the 67's are not considered a contender, I am not sure there are any contenders in the OHL. All the top teams that made it to the semi-finals last eyar lose significant players. The 67's lose Barron.

Third, DiPietro turned EVERYONE down. He wanted to stay in Windsor no matter who wanted him. If you believe the rumours going into the deadline last year, DiPietro was going to stay in Windsor for this final year and then allow Rychel to trade him the following year which we are now in.

Training camp won't tell us shit. If we are judging the competitiveness of this team out of training camp, we are a bunch of amateurs. No one judges their team out of training camp. The only two purposes of training camp is to decide on who fills the final few spots and the players get to stretch their legs. Exhibition is an extension of that with so many players at NHL camps. No one can make judgement when scrubs are playing against scrubs. This means to get a true indication, it takes at least 6 weeks into the season which brings us to November 15th.

We all know this team needs a goalie. You understand this. Your point is does DiPietro feel we are a contender and will he come here. My point is it doesn't matter froma point of discussion whether he is wiling to come or not. My point is this team needs a competent goalie to be competitive. We don't have that goalie in house. If DiPietro doesn't want to come here of the price is too high, then we need to shift gears to another name or two. It is meaningless to see what happens in training camp. Training Camp hero's are usually regular season ZERO's.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
We all know this team needs a goalie. You understand this. Your point is does DiPietro feel we are a contender and will he come here. My point is it doesn't matter froma point of discussion whether he is wiling to come or not. My point is this team needs a competent goalie to be competitive. We don't have that goalie in house. If DiPietro doesn't want to come here of the price is too high, then we need to shift gears to another name or two. It is meaningless to see what happens in training camp. Training Camp hero's are usually regular season ZERO's.

Everything ou said makes sense

YES WE DEFINITELY NEED A STRONG GOALIE

If Dipietro is not coming back to the OHL ( can see him possibly staying pro) or not willing to come to Ottawa that can be decided early and we need to look at other prospects. SSM still seems to have a strong club this year. The question is then who wants to give up a top goalie. The question then is who has the goalie that would be available?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

If Dipietro is not coming back to the OHL ( can see him possibly staying pro) or not willing to come to Ottawa that can be decided early and we need to look at other prospects. SSM still seems to have a strong club this year. The question is then who wants to give up a top goalie. The question then is who has the goalie that would be available?

Dipietro can turn pro only with Vancouver and that's all.
Can't play in the AHL has to play in the O if he doesn't make Vancouver.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Exactly. That is why we cannot wait a single minute. As soon as the right potential trade presents itself, we need to pull the trigger. If DiPietro isn’t available until after the World Juniors, for example, we have to let that ship sail and get someone else.

PErsonally, and this is just a gut feeling, I don’t believe they would draft a forward in the Import Draft if they didn’t feel confident about picking up a goalie.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Dipietro can turn pro only with Vancouver and that's all.
Can't play in the AHL has to play in the O if he doesn't make Vancouver.

Yes, the likelyhood of DiPietro playing NHL hockey in the goaltender position at 19 is next to zero. I know the Canucks are horrid but that would be a shocker.

That said, if the 67’s were to trade for his rights, they’d have to be 100% confident in his return before any deal was made. That means speaking with Vancouver OR waiting for his official return before making the deal.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
One other possible goaltender would be Matthew Villalta of SSM. I do not know their plans for this year but I assume they may be sellers.

He would at least give them stability this year so they could try and bring along a successor at a viable pace.

I know we cannot go with what we have as this will kill our possibilty for having a good season.

Any other possibilities in th O right now?l

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
ON\MG AFTER 50 YEASER COULD THIS BE THE ONE.

It better be as I think that they are going to have a cap hit problem in the near future.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
ON\MG AFTER 50 YEASER COULD THIS BE THE ONE.

It better be as I think that they are going to have a cap hit problem in the near future.

I’m not too sure there will be a cap issue. They will be up against it but withthe cap continually going up year after year, they could have $30mil tied up in Matthews, Tavares and Marner and be ok. They have enough young guys on first contracts or cheap second contracts to help balance the load. They are continually developing NHL calibre players to take over roster spots cheaply. Their current defense is relatively cheap to help offset as well.

I don’t think this is “the year” but I think this may be the first year where they actually take a real meaningful step forward. Last year they accumulated points. This year they need to become a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad