Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Just spitballin' but how about Ryan McLeod as a #1 centre to play with Chmelevski for 1 season?
- Point a game player last season drafted 40th overall to Edmonton this spring (late birthday '99).
- His brother likely to make Jersey so can't play with him anymore.
- Missy likely rebuilding and could use draft currency.
- Must be some kind of a James Boyd connection.
Thoughts?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Just spitballin' but how about Ryan McLeod as a #1 centre to play with Chmelevski for 1 season?
- Point a game player last season drafted 40th overall to Edmonton this spring (late birthday '99).
Thoughts?
Sounds good to me!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Thoughts?

When he got drafted by Flint, the McLeod family said they would only let Ryan play for Missy and Flint had to trade him there (so they did) and last year when Missy clearly wasn't going to be a contender they had a trade in place to send Michael to the West and the McLeod camp nixed it and said he would only play for Missy (the family is from Missy). So getting the Missy GM to agree on the trade might not be the toughest part of getting that deal done....

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
When he got drafted by Flint, the McLeod family said they would only let Ryan play for Missy and Flint had to trade him there (so they did) and last year when Missy clearly wasn't going to be a contender they had a trade in place to send Michael to the West and the McLeod camp nixed it and said he would only play for Missy (the family is from Missy). So getting the Missy GM to agree on the trade might not be the toughest part of getting that deal done....
In his draft year Michael's family apparently told the 67's not to draft him so they took Barron, so I suspect you are right he would not come to Ottawa.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Perhaps Rob Thomas could be another option. The St. Louis Blues, who drafted him, have recently signed some forwards which might make it more difficult for Thomas to crack the lineup. If that's the case, then he'll be sent back to a re-building Hamilton team that will likely try to move him (at some point). He'd be a great addition for the 67s. Just thinkin' out loud...

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
In his draft year Michael's family apparently told the 67's not to draft him so they took Barron, so I suspect you are right he would not come to Ottawa.

Not gonna argue there but, as players go from age 16 to 18 or 19, their parents have a lot less influence and the NHL team that drafts them has a lot more. Ryan isn't going to live at home beyond this year. Maybe it's time to spend a year away from home before moving to Edmonton or Bakersfield?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Not gonna argue there but, as players go from age 16 to 18 or 19, their parents have a lot less influence and the NHL team that drafts them has a lot more. Ryan isn't going to live at home beyond this year. Maybe it's time to spend a year away from home before moving to Edmonton or Bakersfield?

You're 100% right, but try telling that to a mom who wants to control everything in his life... :popcorn:

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Any chance 67’s would have interest in Lodnia from Erie?

Rumor is Erie is making a bigger trade before the season starts. He would be the only player on the team that Erie would move that would make the trade “big”.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Any chance 67’s would have interest in Lodnia from Erie?

Rumor is Erie is making a bigger trade before the season starts. He would be the only player on the team that Erie would move that would make the trade “big”.

Ottawa is pretty deep on the right side. I believe they're primarily looking for a #1 centre and a #1 goalie. That being said, anything is possible.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
You're 100% right, but try telling that to a mom who wants to control everything in his life... :popcorn:

If you want to brag about inside knowledge then prove it, mention teams, GM names, who is your source?
Family descions are just that for whatever reasons, any many come into play. Leave family out of it, doesn't belong on the boards.

Looking forward to the season opener, love taking the trip through the backways up to OT!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If you want to brag about inside knowledge then prove it, mention teams, GM names, who is your source?
Family descions are just that for whatever reasons, any many come into play. Leave family out of it, doesn't belong on the boards.

Looking forward to the season opener, love taking the trip through the backways up to OT!

Huh? Wtf are you talking about lol

"Mention everything specifically"

Literally the next line: "don't say anything about it, it doesn't belong here"

Regardless of what you have to say, McLeod's camp nixing trades of Michael last year is very relevant when they were literally discussing the potential trades of Ryan. So relax

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
You're 100% right, but try telling that to a mom who wants to control everything in his life..
You do realize that Austin Mathews' family has a lot of say on what he does....so much so that Austin lived with his family the first year he was in Toronto.
There is no one better than the player himself and equally his parents that will look out for what's best for that player. To most in this game, players are a piece of meat.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
God I can't be the only one on here that remembers Typhoon Bonnie. Her 2 boys were everything to her. and she controlled everything.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Brilliant GM work by James Boyd to get this deal done, a job very well done.
Agreed he appears to have done his homework. If this kid turns up top notch it will have been a while since we've had imports of this caliber. I was not a big fan of his hiring but I have to admit he's done a good job up to now. Two good trades...Stratis, Foget. Now get us a goalie James!

Reactions: ETA 2000 Fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I will reserve my judgement regarding James Boyd until AFTER we see the starting goalie situation unfold.

Regarding the signing of Rossi, I think this tells you exactly how all in Jeff Hunt really is. That signing probably cost a pretty penny. I know there are other issues, and to be clear these other issues have kept me out of that building for over a year and I will remain away for a good period of time in the future, but it hasn’t stopped the brass from making pushes.

I don’t agree with many of their decisions for the 67’s but they are still supporting the team financially. This signing is another example.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG, I hear you about the goalie situation. The one thing that as I say we have to remember is that he can only get a good goalie in a trade if the other team is willing to trade and not asking for the moon.

As to your other issues, it seems you are not alone and Ottawa isn't the only team not caring about the longtime fan. Not sure if you know MisterDb in Kingston but he has been a fan since it was the Canadians in Kingston and has given up his season tix because he has had enough.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG, I hear you about the goalie situation. The one thing that as I say we have to remember is that he can only get a good goalie in a trade if the other team is willing to trade and not asking for the moon.

As to your other issues, it seems you are not alone and Ottawa isn't the only team not caring about the longtime fan. Not sure if you know MisterDb in Kingston but he has been a fan since it was the Canadians in Kingston and has given up his season tix because he has had enough.

There were many goalies available in the Import draft. There were only two goalies taken before the 67’s pick. Here is my point. Our #1 pressing need is goaltending. No ifs ands or buts about it. It is goaltending.

I have ZERO issues with the player they took and have now signed. However, with an easy button solution to our goaltending issue available in the Import draft and then go draft a Centre, one needs to THINK there is a plan for a goalie. One needs to think that they already have something in place OR they have multiple pretty good opportunities to resolve the goaltending issue for them to forgo the goalie in the Import draft to draft a centre.

All that is to say, I will assume there is a plan that makes sense to resolve the goaltending issue. BUT, just because that makes a lot of sense to assume that is being addressed forthwith, it doesn’t mean it will happen. Therefore, I will reserve my praise for James Boyd for after we have the goaltending situation resolved. Because, if there isn’t a solution in the bank ready to be unveiled in short order, and we did draft the slick centre without resolving the goaltending issue, I will be the first one on here saying how much of a complete idiot this guy is, no matter how good the centre is. And everyone that is applauding Boyd for the drafting and signing of the slick centre will also be standing right behind me bewildered at how much of a tool he is for leaving the goaltending either status quo or patchwork jobbing it with another OA from the QMJHL that was waived through the league.

So, back to my original post, I will reserve my judgement on Boyd until he shows his hand regarding the goaltending. I’ve been around long enough to “assume” something must be in place only to learn there was nothing in place and a season was squandered with status quo.

OMG’s law = Murphy was an optimist!

Reactions: sirius67fan

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
Anyway...the signing of this consensus top echelon centre was a VERY good day for the 67s. Let's not lose sight of that.

As for Boyd, he has already made numerous positive moves for the organization and I, for one, have been impressed. Also drafted a goalie higher than they almost ever do. Agree adding a veteran to help him along would be a good move, and hopefully Cranley will be ready to step forward next year. We do have the assets to make such a move. But let's see where we stand after training camp before throwing around words like idiot. This is looking like an exciting young team well worthy of our support.

Reactions: sirius67fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad