Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Depending on who the spits draft and his age and experience I do not see Di Pietro gong anywhere until after the season. The spits do not want to make the same mistake we did at the start of the season. I think Ottawa will go with a goalie I would hope that it is a late round goalie so there is the chance to have him for 2 years or more. Getting a goalie that is one and done is not what this team needs.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Players that had outstanding OHL careers but didnot make it past the AHL for coffee

Tessier, Blanchard, Trottier, David Bell

great years had the skills just not the size or skating, Not sure id Curt Bowen could be in that class or not.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Depending on who the spits draft and his age and experience I do not see Di Pietro gong anywhere until after the season. The spits do not want to make the same mistake we did at the start of the season. I think Ottawa will go with a goalie I would hope that it is a late round goalie so there is the chance to have him for 2 years or more. Getting a goalie that is one and done is not what this team needs.
Disagree you take the best goalie you can get, don't care if its a one and done. Its a go for it year. Besides they won't be picking in the second, they have Okhotiuk.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
As of now yes but the concensus on this board is he might end up #3 if we trade for a top center as its a contending year for us.

If Ottawa gets a #1 centre, through the Import Draft or trade, don't you see Chmelevski moving to RW and Hoelscher in the #2 slot with Bitten as #3 and Tolnai #4?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If Ottawa gets a #1 centre, through the Import Draft or trade, don't you see Chmelevski moving to RW and Hoelscher in the #2 slot with Bitten as #3 and Tolnai #4?
Maybe, Iknow a lot of people see Chem as a right wing and I don't disagree at the next level. However I think he came along very well at center last year and considering our depth on right wing (Felhaber,Clark,Clarke, Quinn, True...maybe) we need to keep him there. I'm not sure we can be a championship team with Hoelscher as #2 unless there's a big jump. But as a #3 we're a strong team. Don't get me wrong though I love the kid one of my favorite players and will be top two the year after. As for Bitten I like him on left wing personally.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If we were to acquire a centre, the lineup would be interesting. As some have mentioned, myself included, Chmelevski is better suited to being a winger. That said, he did play well down the middle late int he year and was decent int the playoffs playing the pivot. So, I don’t really have an issue with him at centre but I think if he were to move to the wing, it would free him up to roam around a little more which I think would increase his goals output.

The other interesting note is Tolnai. Considering he was such a high pick at centre and he comes highly touted in a strong draft, I find it difficult to push him to the 4th line all year. Of course, on a championship calibre team, keeping your 16 year old 1st rounder on the 4th line isn’t unreasonable, especially with depth on the wings giving him a solid couple of wingers to play with. But, playing with a couple veteran wingers would help his development.

With no new roster moves, I do see Chmelevski, Hoelscher, and Tolnai taking the first three centre positions. Keating, Bitten, and Felhaber on the LW. Clark, Clarke, Quinn on the RW.

Afanasyev will be interesting. I am wondering if there will be room for him to even have a shot at nailing down a spot. I can see Losev and True not returning.

With a couple acquisitions, we could see Tolnai pushed down to the 4th line with Quinn and Yule. Hoelscher with Bitten and Clarke on the 3rd line.

So, it may get interesting.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If we were to acquire a centre, the lineup would be interesting. As some have mentioned, myself included, Chmelevski is better suited to being a winger. That said, he did play well down the middle late int he year and was decent int the playoffs playing the pivot. So, I don’t really have an issue with him at centre but I think if he were to move to the wing, it would free him up to roam around a little more which I think would increase his goals output.

The other interesting note is Tolnai. Considering he was such a high pick at centre and he comes highly touted in a strong draft, I find it difficult to push him to the 4th line all year. Of course, on a championship calibre team, keeping your 16 year old 1st rounder on the 4th line isn’t unreasonable, especially with depth on the wings giving him a solid couple of wingers to play with. But, playing with a couple veteran wingers would help his development.

With no new roster moves, I do see Chmelevski, Hoelscher, and Tolnai taking the first three centre positions. Keating, Bitten, and Felhaber on the LW. Clark, Clarke, Quinn on the RW.

Afanasyev will be interesting. I am wondering if there will be room for him to even have a shot at nailing down a spot. I can see Losev and True not returning.

With a couple acquisitions, we could see Tolnai pushed down to the 4th line with Quinn and Yule. Hoelscher with Bitten and Clarke on the 3rd line.

So, it may get interesting.
Did I miss an announcement? Did Afanasyev commit to the 67's?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG just wondering if SJ says they want Chem to play center other than trading him does Ottawa have a choice

There is always a delicate balance with those relationships. Typically speaking, if the Junior team doesn’t think his proper position is centre, the NHL team would think the same. Usually it is the other way around where the NHL team prefers the player on the wing but at the Junior level the player is strong enough for centre. At the end of the day it is up to the team first, player second and NHL team third.

Chmelevski isn’t a strong enough prospect to worry about stuff like this. I can understand guys like Jonathan Drouin or Pierre-Luc Dubois etc for their NHL teams to pressure the Junior team into position changes because they have a lot invested in the success of those players. Chmelevski is not the type of player that will make the jump to the NHL out of junior so is position will be decided in the AHL next year.

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
Just saw on thesportster where he's predicted to be the #2 NHL pick in 2020 after Lafreniere.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Wow, Rossi looks like a HOME RUN swing! Let's hope that James Boyd and Andre Tourigny have worked out all the details to make sure that he reports. He is being listed as one of the top four prospects in several 2020 NHL Draft forecasts.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Gregory Hickman‏ @Gregory_Hickman 16m16 minutes ago
More
Marco Rossi is a great pickup by the Ottawa 67s in todays CHL Import Draft. Dynamic offensive forward with good hockey sense. Compliments the rest of their forwards very well. Late 01, 2020 Draft Eligible
0 replies0 retweets1 like

Retweet

Like 1

Direct message
  1. 0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Direct message
  2. Dennis Schellenberg‏ @ScoutingFactory 33m33 minutes ago
    More
    Congrats to Marco Rossi who got drafted by the Ottawa at 18th overall He's gonna be a top player for Austria for a long time #CHLImportDraft #GCK
    0 replies1 retweet2 likes

Retweet 1

Liked 2

Direct message
  3. Scrimmage & Stats‏ @thehockeyexpert 37m37 minutes ago
    More
    Ouf! #Ottawa67 Pick Marco Rossi in Import draft. Remember that name in 2020, he will go early. #CHLImportDraft
    0 replies0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Liked 2

Direct message

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Based on Windsor picking a Goalie and Ottawa grabbing this dynamic Center, would it be a fair guess that Dipietro may be on his way to Ottawa?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Based on Windsor picking a Goalie and Ottawa grabbing this dynamic Center, would it be a fair guess that Dipietro may be on his way to Ottawa?
WellI hope so, we need a goalie. A bit puzzled by this pick. Donot doubt his talent but doesn't appear to fit our window this year. We needed a #1 goalie or center...we got neither. Other moves are likely coming...I hope.

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
Our window is not this year. I don't know why people keep saying that. This will be a special team in the next two to three years especially. I'd be upset if we sold out for this year for a team that is still clearly not a championship team. Great pickup in Rossi.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Our window is not this year. I don't know why people keep saying that. This will be a special team in the next two to three years especially. I'd be upset if we sold out for this year for a team that is still clearly not a championship team. Great pickup in Rossi.
As OMG pointed out we are losing a lot of our forwards next year Chem, Felhaber, Clark for sure and possibly Keating. Also likely losing Hoef. That's 4 of your top 6 and your best all around D. A lot to replace! Now it can be argued we still contend in two years with most of our D back and forwards like Hoelscher, Clark, Quinn, Rossi taking a big step forward but I think we have a better shot with the right acquisitions this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As OMG pointed out we are losing a lot of our forwards next year Chem, Felhaber, Clark for sure and possibly Keating. Also likely losing Hoef. That's 4 of your top 6 and your best all around D. A lot to replace! Now it can be argued we still contend in two years with most of our D back and forwards like Hoelscher, Clark, Quinn, Rossi taking a big step forward but I think we have a better shot with the right acquisitions this year.

Let’s switch gears for a moment. Let’s assume they aren’t throwing the kitchen sink into this season. What are the options?

1> The first option is to stay somewhat status quo. Of course we all know we need to add a goalie. Let’s assume we do add one but maybe an OA stop gap and we bring Andree and Cranley along for the ride and see what happens. With average to above average goaltending, we should be able to secure home ice advantage in the playoffs and see what happens.

2> The second option is to gear up for a run next year. We all know the core of the defense will be 19 next season and if we were to simply leave them alone, they’d probably be one of the best groups in a long time. You’d have to think Keating is a solid option for an OA up front. Clark and Chmelevski, not so much. Same with Hoefenmeyer not he back end. So, that sets up the potential of a trade off to bulk up the following season. The one I would target to trade if this is the situation is Hoefenmeyer. It would free up the needed space for the younger D-Men chomping at the bit to get into the lineup.

Either of these two options sees a significant defense turn over for the 20-21 season when Okhotyuk, Robertson, Rippon, and Bahl all graduate. Robertson and Rippon may be solid OA candidates though.

To me, this is a one year window and that is EITHER this season or next. That is assuming there isn’t significant change outisde the two options above. The possibility exists for a two year run but they’d need to acquire a two year goalie and a lot of pressure would be placed on Rossi and Tolnai. I can’t see a situation where they are able to acquire the required assets to compete this year and still have enough assets left over to replace so many parts graduating this season.

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
It's really hard to predict what might happen in a vacuum of course. So tough to predict who actually might be around in one or two years. But I would not be surprised to see some trades from a position of strength to get a key piece or two up front. And then maybe you have a really strong team for a number of years. I'm just not on board with dealing a potential 40-50 goal scorer and a bunch of seconds for 3 month's access to a good goalie this year. I don't think next year's boys are a Memorial Cup team, goalie or not. But the year after kinda looks interesting. Just my opinion of course, I'm clearly no expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad