Ottawa 67's 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Pardon my ignorance BUT is it normal for a Euro goalie to be an automatic starter or do they treat them the same as Canadian goalies and let them sit on the bench?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I will reserve my judgement regarding James Boyd until AFTER we see the starting goalie situation unfold.

Regarding the signing of Rossi, I think this tells you exactly how all in Jeff Hunt really is. That signing probably cost a pretty penny. I know there are other issues, and to be clear these other issues have kept me out of that building for over a year and I will remain away for a good period of time in the future, but it hasn’t stopped the brass from making pushes.

I don’t agree with many of their decisions for the 67’s but they are still supporting the team financially. This signing is another example.
I've heard for years that top euros get pretty good money (not exactly fair to homegrown kids but that's a debate for another day). Just wondering if anybody knows how much $ we're talking about? Does anybody have a ballpark for how much a kid like Rossi could cost?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I've heard for years that top euros get pretty good money (not exactly fair to homegrown kids but that's a debate for another day). Just wondering if anybody knows how much $ we're talking about? Does anybody have a ballpark for how much a kid like Rossi could cost?

My understanding is there is no cap on it. It is the reason why the more advanced organizations get the best Imports, because they can pay them.

A kid like Rossi is passing up a decent payday in Europe to play in the OHL. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was as high as $30k plus his room and board.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Pardon my ignorance BUT is it normal for a Euro goalie to be an automatic starter or do they treat them the same as Canadian goalies and let them sit on the bench?

I would suggest that a goalie picked in the top half of the NHL draft (18 years old) and gets picked in the Import Draft would expect to not be sitting on the bench watching Canadians play.

Alternatively, if a team drafted a 17 year old, I would assume he would get an opportunity to start but like most 17 year olds, wouldn’t be more than a platoon goalie as he develops.

With respect to the 67’s Import Draft this season, if they had picked an Import goalie, I would assume the expectation was for him to be a starter.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Anyway...the signing of this consensus top echelon centre was a VERY good day for the 67s. Let's not lose sight of that.

As for Boyd, he has already made numerous positive moves for the organization and I, for one, have been impressed. Also drafted a goalie higher than they almost ever do. Agree adding a veteran to help him along would be a good move, and hopefully Cranley will be ready to step forward next year. We do have the assets to make such a move. But let's see where we stand after training camp before throwing around words like idiot. This is looking like an exciting young team well worthy of our support.

Again, I assume Boyd has a plan for the goaltending. I am reserving my judgement until after it is announced.

None of his moves are any good unless he caps it off with a goalie. The Stratis trade, the Rippon trade and the Rossi signing are like setting a broken finger, stitching a gash in your hand, and applying ointment to a burnt wrist on the same hand/wrist. Not fixing the goaltending is like one month later realizing you needed to amputate the arm below the elbow. All the good you did Front he wrist down doesn’t mean anything anymore.

I cannot believe he doesn’t have a plan for the goaltending but I thought that last year at the deadline too and nothing happened so....

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
My understanding is there is no cap on it. It is the reason why the more advanced organizations get the best Imports, because they can pay them.

A kid like Rossi is passing up a decent payday in Europe to play in the OHL. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was as high as $30k plus his room and board.
wow didn't realize it could be that much. As you said though it does look that despite other issues that OSEG is invested in the team. I wonder if now that the Redblacks are well established if the 67's are the next priority? They have invested a lot in imports/coaching/ management in the last two years.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Again, I assume Boyd has a plan for the goaltending. I am reserving my judgement until after it is announced.

None of his moves are any good unless he caps it off with a goalie. The Stratis trade, the Rippon trade and the Rossi signing are like setting a broken finger, stitching a gash in your hand, and applying ointment to a burnt wrist on the same hand/wrist. Not fixing the goaltending is like one month later realizing you needed to amputate the arm below the elbow. All the good you did Front he wrist down doesn’t mean anything anymore.

I cannot believe he doesn’t have a plan for the goaltending but I thought that last year at the deadline too and nothing happened so....

Isn't there a trade freeze in effect until August 1st? I wouldn't be surprised to see a move for a goalie shortly after that. OMG is right: the Rossi pick makes no sense if there isn't a deal for a legit #1 tendy in place.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yes agreed there has to be a plan for a tender otherwise the other moves don't make much sense. It's not like we don't have the picks. Heck we have four seconds next draft alone. Pointless to keep more than two as there will be limited roster spots the year after. One way or another gotta use them to make the team better now.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

In convincing a kid to come to Canada, I'd assume most of the time you'd have to promise him a starting goalie role or they wouldn't come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->