Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The league has problems including a class action lawsuit for not paying their professional minimum wage and other benefits. The chickens are being called to roost and the farmer says several teams will go **** up and others will not be competitive if the action succeeds. Change will come OMG67. Including in the NHL.

This is an entirely different subject than the one being discussed.

Also, you assume the CHL and its member leagues will lose the suit. It is possible the leagues will win and remain status quo as student athletes. So, change is only assumed based on the league losing its suit against them.

If the league loses, they will be confirmed as Professional. IT would certainly change the way the league operates. But that is a conversation for another time when and if the league loses its suit.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Kevin Chu a question: o you have a son that you think was passed over or are you just howling at the moon.

The CHL has gone through a number of changes some good and some people will say ae bad.

History 101

When the CHL Ohl started the teams were all owned and operated by the NHL so that they could develop the kids that they thought could make their team. That is also why some of the names seem familiar.

This caused a great deal of trouble later on and was changed to private people owning the teams fully without NHL support.

In the early 70's teams were allowed to protect players in their area from the draft. for instance, Kirk Muller played one year in Kingston before getting drafted into the OHL. That is why Ken Linseman played in Kingston.

The protecting a player rule was taken out.

The system then allowed OHL teams to select players from either Ontario or the east coast as at that time there were no Q teams in the league. Hillier.

At that time you were allowed to sign any American kid you wanted as that area was wide open

Now we have a system that I think is fair. All players are evaluated by the OHL scouting system. Once they have been evaluated the OHL puts out a list so that teams can scout them and maybe see someone else.

We had for many years an age limit of 20 to go to the NHL then kids like Gretzky, Lemieux and such to the NHL to court and won. This created the younger drafting pool that we have.

Now to take it even lower there have been kids that have sued and won to be allowed to play in the OHL at an age under the rules.

Will you please tell me how it can be changed again and made better without anyone suing the CHL.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Kevin Chu a question: o you have a son that you think was passed over or are you just howling at the moon.

The CHL has gone through a number of changes some good and some people will say ae bad.

History 101

When the CHL Ohl started the teams were all owned and operated by the NHL so that they could develop the kids that they thought could make their team. That is also why some of the names seem familiar.

This caused a great deal of trouble later on and was changed to private people owning the teams fully without NHL support.

In the early 70's teams were allowed to protect players in their area from the draft. for instance, Kirk Muller played one year in Kingston before getting drafted into the OHL. That is why Ken Linseman played in Kingston.

The protecting a player rule was taken out.

The system then allowed OHL teams to select players from either Ontario or the east coast as at that time there were no Q teams in the league. Hillier.

At that time you were allowed to sign any American kid you wanted as that area was wide open

Now we have a system that I think is fair. All players are evaluated by the OHL scouting system. Once they have been evaluated the OHL puts out a list so that teams can scout them and maybe see someone else.

We had for many years an age limit of 20 to go to the NHL then kids like Gretzky, Lemieux and such to the NHL to court and won. This created the younger drafting pool that we have.

Now to take it even lower there have been kids that have sued and won to be allowed to play in the OHL at an age under the rules.

Will you please tell me how it can be changed again and made better without anyone suing the CHL.

No, no I am an analytics guy.

Beast, the simple answer is should the OHL be drafting 15 and 16 year old's in their minor midget year? My response is no. First of all, there is way to much oscillation in a teenager's biological development at that point in their life. There is way too much hit and miss for the OHL teams. Advancing the age to midget to a certain extent levels off the discrepancy that different growth rates can have on hockey performance. In other words it gives some kids a chance to catch up while others who are already advanced and may not grow much more a re-evaluation.

In other words the rating you get in minor midget maybe different from the rating you get in midget if the draft were moved to midget. Many drafted kids drop out of hockey and many undrafted kids continue to play. Whats in the heart buddy?

In minor midget A few kids might have already reached their growing height and weight, but most not. Kids that are late bloomers are at a bigger disadvantage as they get past over and once their catch up if in fact they do, it is very hard for them to enter an OHL roster as a free agent invite. Even if they are invited, scouts prefer their draft choices over free agent invites sentimentally because they obviously don't want to admit they were wrong in their choices, their employment depends to a certain extent on the accuracy of their predications. Yet the best developmental opportunities under the current system are given to the first out first drafted list of kids. The point is where are those kids in three years and where are the other kids? Most of the time under the current system they get it right but they could do better.

The Major midget draft tried to solve some of this but the problem is, the prestige index is not the same as the OHL priority draft at minor midget. The Major Midget draft covers two years yet they generally only select from one of the years and those kids are really not serious contenders. I think you need an overhaul in thinking to make the system better. Everybody rushes development, why do you think other countries are catching up/ They now do it better than us I think.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
This is an entirely different subject than the one being discussed.

Also, you assume the CHL and its member leagues will lose the suit. It is possible the leagues will win and remain status quo as student athletes. So, change is only assumed based on the league losing its suit against them.

If the league loses, they will be confirmed as Professional. IT would certainly change the way the league operates. But that is a conversation for another time when and if the league loses its suit.
Its already affecting the league OMG67. I used it as an example of larger change as things never stay the same. If I want to buy an OHL team today the price would be discounted. A lawsuit is a contingent liability and affects the current market value of any business. I have to ask myself as an owner will I be stuck jointly paying a court judgment in three years, etc.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

Beast, the simple answer is should the OHL be drafting 15 and 16 year old's in their minor midget year? My response is no. First of all, there is way to much oscillation in a teenager's biological development at that point in their life. There is way too much hit and miss for the OHL teams. Advancing the age to midget to a certain extent levels off the discrepancy that different growth rates can have on hockey performance. In other words it gives some kids a chance to catch up while others who are already advanced and may not grow much more a re-evaluation.

In other words the rating you get in minor midget maybe different from the rating you get in midget if the draft were moved to midget. Many drafted kids drop out of hockey and many undrafted kids continue to play. Whats in the heart buddy?

In minor midget A few kids might have already reached their growing height and weight, but most not. Kids that are late bloomers are at a bigger disadvantage as they get past over and once their catch up if in fact they do, it is very hard for them to enter an OHL roster as a free agent invite. Even if they are invited, scouts prefer their draft choices over free agent invites sentimentally because they obviously don't want to admit they were wrong in their choices, their employment depends to a certain extent on the accuracy of their predications. Yet the best developmental opportunities under the current system are given to the first out first drafted list of kids. The point is where are those kids in three years and where are the other kids? Most of the time under the current system they get it right but they could do better.

The Major midget draft tried to solve some of this but the problem is, the prestige index is not the same as the OHL priority draft at minor midget. The Major Midget draft covers two years yet they generally only select from one of the years and those kids are really not serious contenders. I think you need an overhaul in thinking to make the system better. Everybody rushes development, why do you think other countries are catching up/ They now do it better than us I think.

No matter what age a league drafts players, there will be kids who are both way ahead and way behind the curve physically, mentally and skill wise. The CHL can't even be consistent as the WHL drafts Bantam players and the OHL and the Q Minor-Midget.

For the same reasons (but mostly physical disparity), Hockey Canada has struggled with both age divisions and body contact, redefining age divisions around the year 2000 and backing off body contact year after year until now it doesn't start until Minor Bantam!

Similarly the NHL has suggested moving their draft from 18 to 19 (or even 20).

The one thing many hockey fans (and hfboards posters/armchair GMs) don't consider is potential litigation. The lion's share of decisions made by hockey's governing bodies (Hockey Canada, OHF and the regionals - GTHL, OMHA, Alliance, HEO etc.) are not for what's in the best interest of the game and it's players, it's what decision is the least likely to expose them to litigation. They don't have the resources to defend lawsuits and are forced to take direction from their insurers.

Should any league change it's draft policy there will be a double cohort (i.e. two groups of players competing for one set of available spots). Let's say, for example, that the NHL changes from an 18 year-old to a 19 year-old draft. The year of the change, you will have two birth years of prospects competing for the same 217 draft slots as the year before. Can you IMAGINE the number of lawsuits that would be filed as Little Johnny didn't have the same chance as those the year before or the year after to be drafted!?!?! The same situation would arise for the CHL leagues if they implemented such a change.

I'm not saying improvements wouldn't help or that leagues won't make changes. What I am saying is there is no perfect formula that will suit all players. Remember Newton's third law (it doesn't just apply to physics!), "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Kevin the easy answer to your question is NO they should not.

That is the easy answer. The not so easy answer is What do you do if a parent sues the league because their 15 year old son is able to play at the OHL level.

What do you do as an OHL or USHL when guys like Austin Mathews go and play pro in Europe instead of staying in the JR's

ETA hit it on the head the NHL has to decide which is going to make their fans happy and leave them from a lawsuit.

Imagine the uproar if the Leafs finished last but could not draft Austin Mathews

Or the Islanders could not have drafted John Tavares. In everything, there are things that suck. Looking at the NHL draft though it is getting better for late deloping players. It used to be that you had to play in the CHL if you were Cdn to get drafted. Now we are seeing minor junior teams have a player drafted. I am a believer that players, if they have the skill, will get noticed and that some players that looked good in Midget or Bantam will not go past JR hockey or will play in the ECHL. Keating is a perfect example of a good player that has a good OHL career but it does not fit into the NHL style. Tessier was another along with Locke and many other kids that are drafted.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
This probably is not the thread for this sort of “larger discussion,” though the topic is certainly interesting and thread-worthy.

This much I will say: the overwhelming majority of players chosen in the OHL minor midget priority selection are coming directly from “single birth year minor hockey,” while the teams that claim them compete in a junior league with players from 5 birth years (sometimes 6, if we include the extremely remote possibility of a draftee receiving Exceptional Player status and remaining on an OHL roster through his over-age year). A typical minor midget age player who has always been a top 6 forward, a top 4 defenceman or a #1 goaltender on a single birth year/residentially restricted minor hockey team is without question a “very good young hockey player” but he is nowhere near ready to earn an OHL roster spot against competitors who are 1, 2, 3, 4 and possibly even 5 years older. I remember my first camp a thousand years ago — and I had finished major midget. It’s a competitive mismatch few minor midget draftees have ever confronted and no minor hockey governing body would even allow — Hockey Canada does not allow Atom age players to compete with and against Midget age kids. I still remember when Sid Crosby’s dad, Troy, took the Nova Scotia Hockey Federation and the Dartmouth Minor Hockey Association to court when the latter refused to let Sid “play up” 2 birth years, from minor Bantam to Minor Midget. The Association argued that allowing Crosby to play against kids that much older was a bonafide safety risk, and that argument won the day. (Crosby, of course, just left for Shattuck in Minnesota after the court decision).

Not saying the system is broken, but it’s definitely misunderstood by most youngsters and their parents.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Kerby Rychel played for Windsor and seemed to do alright with back-to-back 40-goal seasons. He earned his playing time. I don't know how the room was, though. Rychel had his younger son, Maddux, get a cup of coffee with the Spits a couple of seasons ago and this year at camp. He's a much different player than Kerby and didn't see much ice. He did what he could, though.

In Owen Sound three McDermids played for their dad's team . Two were NHL drafted.

Manager Dale DeGray's son was drafted, so too owner Frank Coulter grandson, this year coach Alan Letang son .

None made the team, despite coming to training camps

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
The Spitfires will also send their 14th round pick in 2020 to the 67s, while getting Ottawa’s 14th round pick in 2020 and Ottawa’s 15th round pick in 2021 back in the deal.

So it's Sirman and 288th overall pick for 298th overall pick and 307th overall pick in 2021 draft*

Weird trade to even bother with the 14th rounders at all.

*picks are approximates

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Sirman in a nuthsell - 99 who earned a roster spot last season for the first time. Not great in any one area, but works his tail off to get the job done. Good PK guy, good speed, pretty solid shot. Not big but will throw the weight around a bit. Not afraid to mix it up (had a go with Luke Boka in camp last season). One of the nicer kids you'll see off the ice (from all I'm told). If he's given an opportunity in Ottawa, he'll put up some points, provide solid depth, and be reliable on the PK. It's a good pickup and I'm surprised Windsor only got late round picks for him (unless the conditional 15th turns into more).

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Is it me or is this a bit of a weird acquisition? I know we lack a bit of depht on LW but is he really better than what we have?? Even in lower leagues his numbers don't stand out. I don't doubt the Windsor posters he works hard but???

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Just the blockbuster that everybody was waiting for between Ottawa and Windsor!

On the positive sign, it shows that there's dialogue between the two teams for another deal :)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
My guess it's a depth move that suggests Boomhower won't be back. Sirman seems like a similar 'energy' guy.
Do you mean Boomhower won't return from pro camp or simply be let go by the poles? In a go for it year I'd rather have Boomhower unless they are planning to upgrade the OA's.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Do you mean Boomhower won't return from pro camp or simply be let go by the poles? In a go for it year I'd rather have Boomhower unless they are planning to upgrade the OA's.

1) Rumour has it he has a pro offer (although I don't believe he played on Chicago's rookie tourney team due to injury). Even though an OA gets about double the 'pay' that a regular OHL player receives, I'd have to think even an AHL/ECHL 2-way contract is more.

2) Having the flexibility of having 2 OA spots open in a potential 'go for it' year is better than one, no? He's a mid-teens to 20 point guy. Wouldn't you want more for one of your three OA spots?

I get that he's a 'good in the room' energy guy with a physical presence. It just sounds like this Sirman might fill that roll without the OA slot and, if he's effective, he's a '99 so he's around for 'go for it 2.0'. But who knows? Just an observation.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Is it me or is this a bit of a weird acquisition? I know we lack a bit of depht on LW but is he really better than what we have?? Even in lower leagues his numbers don't stand out. I don't doubt the Windsor posters he works hard but???

No he is not better than what u have already.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
1) Rumour has it he has a pro offer (although I don't believe he played on Chicago's rookie tourney team due to injury). Even though an OA gets about double the 'pay' that a regular OHL player receives, I'd have to think even an AHL/ECHL 2-way contract is more.

2) Having the flexibility of having 2 OA spots open in a potential 'go for it' year is better than one, no? He's a mid-teens to 20 point guy. Wouldn't you want more for one of your three OA spots?

I get that he's a 'good in the room' energy guy with a physical presence. It just sounds like this Sirman might fill that roll without the OA slot and, if he's effective, he's a '99 so he's around for 'go for it 2.0'. But who knows? Just an observation.
Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating for Boomhower, l would just keep him over Sirman. As I've posted before I do think we can do better than Boomhower for an OA spot so from that perspective I agree having two spots open is not a bad idea. Goalie maybe?

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Some grumbling out of the BU tender in Niagara wanting a starting job.
Any trade history between between those two teams? Would they trade in the same conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad