Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I haven't been around very long, but OMC67 should be a GM in waiting for the OHL!! You sir know what your taking about!!

These boards are rife with 'armchair' GMs - a hundred or more by my guess. For the casual reader/contributor it makes it all the more entertaining.

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
I was hoping to avoid dropping names but I feel it may be necessary to make my point. From what I saw of that Bulovs kid playing in Toronto, I would have taken him in the first round of the OHL draft. He is a great skater and will likely fit better with the speed of the game than several of the kids drafted in the first round, IMO.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Looking at the list of players that are scheduled to be on the ice for the training camp and one guy kind of intrigues me. Jesse Dick. He was selected by the 67's in the U18 draft this year, so he is a 17 Y/O. It looks like he had pretty decent numbers, even in his draft year. Obviously he was passed over first time around for a reason, which is why I am intrigued. Not expecting he will blow the doors off, but he obviously has some offensive skill.

upload_2018-8-27_15-20-7.png

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Starting to wonder if the Goalie situation may resolve itself in the next couple of days with an Overager waived from the Quebec League, similar to Trudeau and Tremblay the past couple of years.

Mathieu Bellemare at eliteprospects.com Mathieu Bellemare was just waived by Shawinigan and may be worth a look, especially if the team thinks that it may try to land Dipietro closer to the deadline.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Y
Starting to wonder if the Goalie situation may resolve itself in the next couple of days with an Overager waived from the Quebec League, similar to Trudeau and Tremblay the past couple of years.

Mathieu Bellemare at eliteprospects.com Mathieu Bellemare was just waived by Shawinigan and may be worth a look, especially if the team thinks that it may try to land Dipietro closer to the deadline.
I hope they don't go that route again. Why would a goalie who's not been picked up in a league that knows him be the answer here? Tried it with Tremblay and.....

Reactions: ETA 2000 Fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Y
I hope they don't go that route again. Why would a goalie who's not been picked up in a league that knows him be the answer here? Tried it with Tremblay and.....
If we look strictly at the numbers, he put up a good season as a 17 year old starter with Gatineau a couple years ago. He followed that up with a solid season on a middling Gatineau team. He got traded back to lowly Shawinigan (his birthplace) and wasn’t hot but that team was silly bad.

He is small.

We have an OA spot open. We may need a placeholder until other options become available...aka DiPietro after the WJHC? Who knows. It is better than what we have already I guess.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
As someone that was part of the team during Killers 90's and worked 3 training camps and a draft. I also was a fan that for more years than I want to admit watching the circus called Kingston Frontenacs. OMG is right teams look at the best player that will report. If you look at Mavety and Gilmour's record with number 1 picks and you will see that there are a lot of players that were drafted that did nothing in the OHL. matter of fact one of them got traded to the Wolves. The issue is that just parents that have kids with talent want to make sure that their kid is going to a team that will develop the talent and have a history of doing so.

If you look at Kingston they have a history of sitting their first round pick on the bench and giving him maybe 5 minutes a game then trading him because he does not work out. Go figure.

Ottawa scouts look at what is needed for the team it used to be the best forwards this year and the best D next year. Unless there was a stud that was available.

An example of this is the year we drafted Lance. He was a late round pick and a problem child that Killer thought it was worth giving a chance to except for the draft pick he was given nothing.

There have been many Ottawa draft picks that made this team that were late picks Ben Gustafson and Dan Tudin come to mind.

We also had Sean Blanchard who was a great OHL defenseman but lacked the size for the NHL.

We have also had draft picks that everyone thought could not miss the NHL in mind I think of Craig Hillier who really only looked good because of the defense in front of him.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Beast if you like tobtalk circus just look at Ottawa the last few years. First rounders asking for trades, coaches who didn't work out for what ever reasons and poor drafting. I would take Kingston management team over Ottawa these last few years. Of course you are right in your assumptions but try to reference this century at least

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Will not be able to go to training camp being in middle of week, too bad as I enjoy it. So if anybody goes comments would be appreciated in respect to rookies/ goalies in particular. Also interested in feedback on how Jack Quinn looks and Matthew Maggio ( a cousin of mine says to watch out for him, he can't believe he went in fifth round).

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Beast if you like tobtalk circus just look at Ottawa the last few years. First rounders asking for trades, coaches who didn't work out for what ever reasons and poor drafting. I would take Kingston management team over Ottawa these last few years. Of course you are right in your assumptions but try to reference this century at least
I would disagree, we did have a bad time under Byrne with two bad drafts that killed us. Since then Brown/Higgins/Boyd to this point have done a good job of drafting and building up assets.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Zaluty who was the last first-round draft pick that Kingston had that they did not trade other than the Gill era.
2008 Toffoli
2009 Ceci
2010 Monahan
2011 Perklin (oops)
2012 Salituro
2013 Knoecny
2014 Barron
2015 Keating
2016 Stratis
2017 Clarke

I count one bad first round pick. Stratis is an unknown as he never really had a chance to learn after getting injured early in the year.

I don't know about you but I think they have done pretty well in the past decade. 5 out of 10 making an impact on NHL teams is not a bad average.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
You all look at the draft picks. By the way I would also count Barron for where he was picked a bad pick. Yes wr have traded our first round picks but lets look at in context. They were going for championships with vets. Did it turn out no. Do I wish they held on to some of them yes. O'Grady was a hockey dad thing. I was talking overall management,coaching,etc and for the last while Kingston has been more stable than Ottawa. I understand the Kilrea vs Mavety thing but come on is there not a statute of limitations on that?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Any news at camp? I think that there are going to be some serious battles for the last couple of forward spots. Coach Tourigny gave a good interview yesterday, and explained why I list Boomhower on the bubble.

Tourigny: We want to be one of the better teams in our conference - Ottawa 67s

At forward, the locks would be:
Chmelevski
Felhaber
Keating
Rossi
Clarke
Clark
Hoelscher
Tolnai
Bitten

The close to locks:
Yule
Quinn

If they keep 13 forwards, that leaves this group for two spots:
Boomhower (does the team keep him if he is a 4th line OA? )
Losev (didn't get to play too much last year)
Ty Gilberds
Jacob Didanieli
Matt Maggio
Yanic Crete
Jesse Dick
James Lister

With the D being as deep as it is, if the team doesn't keep Boomhower, it can easily flip something to pick up a second OA to play in the top nine. I'd keep the last OA spot open for a Goalie or for the trade deadline.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Any news at camp? I think that there are going to be some serious battles for the last couple of forward spots. Coach Tourigny gave a good interview yesterday, and explained why I list Boomhower on the bubble.

Tourigny: We want to be one of the better teams in our conference - Ottawa 67s

At forward, the locks would be:
Chmelevski
Felhaber
Keating
Rossi
Clarke
Clark
Hoelscher
Tolnai
Bitten

The close to locks:
Yule
Quinn

If they keep 13 forwards, that leaves this group for two spots:
Boomhower (does the team keep him if he is a 4th line OA? )
Losev (didn't get to play too much last year)
Ty Gilberds
Jacob Didanieli
Matt Maggio
Yanic Crete
Jesse Dick
James Lister

With the D being as deep as it is, if the team doesn't keep Boomhower, it can easily flip something to pick up a second OA to play in the top nine. I'd keep the last OA spot open for a Goalie or for the trade deadline.

I have Boomhower on the bubble too. I think at best he is the #10 forward but this team can use some added experience at the beginning of the season until the boys are all back from NHL camps. So, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the lineup through the preseason and maybe even to open the season. I’m pretty sure he can fill a role for some team up front. HE is a good player. I’ve like him for a few seasons now. But, with some of the guys pushing hard now for more ice time, it will be tough for him to maintain a role.

We could see an 11 Forward - 7 D-Man lineup a lot in the early stages of the season. I can see a 4th line that rotates higher line forwards through it in an effort to get their current 7 D-Men in the lineup every night.

I agree about Maggio. That said, there must be a reason why he dropped so far. I know it was a deep draft but he was pegged as a first rounder on a lot of lists.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
For Boomhower and a lot of the players, you mentioned whether they stay or go will depend on how they do in camp or if a trade is offered that can not be refused. I can see them keeping him as he was Boyd's fair hair child if I remember. If he wants to go to college or uni in the area he may stay until the draft or they develop some of the yonger guys. A player that you know you can throw n the ice and isnot going to do too match damage to the team is always a nice thing to have.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don't think it was a big factor beast , its not like he commited to ncaa. Not unusual for draft picks from rounds 3 and above to sign in junior B, junior A. If he makes the poles that commit likely goes out the window.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On another note interesting and disappointing that none on Bradley, Ambrosio, Petersen, Swankler Afanasyev showed up at camp even for the 48 hrs window.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well Kenny Walls reports Maggio scored two in a 5-5 score. Also said the line of Bitten/Rossi/Quinn looked good and he was impressed by Rossi. Anybody go to scrimmage and have any observations or comments.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I have Boomhower on the bubble too. I think at best he is the #10 forward but this team can use some added experience at the beginning of the season until the boys are all back from NHL camps. So, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the lineup through the preseason and maybe even to open the season. I’m pretty sure he can fill a role for some team up front. HE is a good player. I’ve like him for a few seasons now. But, with some of the guys pushing hard now for more ice time, it will be tough for him to maintain a role.

We could see an 11 Forward - 7 D-Man lineup a lot in the early stages of the season. I can see a 4th line that rotates higher line forwards through it in an effort to get their current 7 D-Men in the lineup every night.

I agree about Maggio. That said, there must be a reason why he dropped so far. I know it was a deep draft but he was pegged as a first rounder on a lot of lists.

maggio got picked in the ushl draft so maybe he pulled the ncaa card

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Any news from camp? The OHL website shows a roster for the 67's that just lists all of the veterans plus the drafted rookies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Who made the cut?

If Maggio is still in camp that would mean that either mom and dad are footing his hotel bill or that he has given up his NCAA status although with recent changes in NCAA rules it will be interesting to see what happens with the OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad