Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Once again, an inconsistent effort. First period was descent, but lacked intensity. 2nd period PP goal was tough and then the breakaway 2nd goal was the direct result of defensive inattention. 3rd period effort was great but too little too late (again).

The nail in the coffin was the 3rd goal from a bad angle that Andrée probably should have had - but that was probably the only one you can fault him for. The TV commentators actually gave Andrée a lot of credit for making tons of big saves....but eventually pucks are gonna go in your net if your team is hanging you out to dry.

Hopefully they’ll pull it together tomorrow vs the Attack.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Once again, an inconsistent effort. First period was descent, but lacked intensity. 2nd period PP goal was tough and then the breakaway 2nd goal was the direct result of defensive inattention. 3rd period effort was great but too little too late (again).

The nail in the coffin was the 3rd goal from a bad angle that Andrée probably should have had - but that was probably the only one you can fault him for. The TV commentators actually gave Andrée a lot of credit for making tons of big saves....but eventually pucks are gonna go in your net if your team is hanging you out to dry.

Hopefully they’ll pull it together tomorrow vs the Attack.
I believe you have all overestimated this club. Reality is setting in.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I believe you have all overestimated this club. Reality is setting in.

Ottawa will be so good this year not because of the team they have right now, but because they have a million picks and can pickup like 5-6 new elite players. They’ll be a different team in January

Sep 24, 2018
I can’t figure out why this team is playing so poorly, you would think logically they should be better then last year not worse.
Boyd now is the time to shake things up And I’m ok with moving 2 d and a bunch of picks to get a goalie and an offensive d man or 2

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
It's early yet - September OHL games are not a great indicator of the season ahead (look at all the lopsided scores around the league for example).

Having said that, the pre-season and 3 games in it's apparent:

This team needs a #1 goalie. 3rd and 4th goals last night were soft (3rd from way too deep and you should never allow a goal from where the blueline meets the boards - not sure if it was through a screen or not). I expect Cranley will get the start in Owen Sound tonight and, if he doesn't get rocked, tomorrow in Hamilton but a 16 year-old shouldn't be expected to carry a team. The Andree experiment looked really good in the pre-season and he is very sharp for stretches but he isn't a #1 OHL goalie IMO.

Hoefenmayer, although NHL drafted, is just not a #1 D-man. Decent defender and rusher of the puck but his exit passes, in particular, and passes, generally, are far below par IMO and puck watching like on goal #5 last night just shouldn't happen.

Obviously Tourigny is experimenting with line combos (Hoelscher on the wing tho?), it was Sasha's first game back, Rossi is obviously going to take time to adjust but when your 4th line (Bitten was credited with the assist but wasn't even on the ice) scores the only goal, even if it was from a defenseman, clearly there is work to do.

Going 2-3 or even 1-4 out of the gate is a long way from the end of the world and Boyd (as Generals mentions above) has a cupboard full so it will be interesting to see what happens with this team, on and off the ice, in October.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As ETA said, it is too early to panic and make rash decisions. But the reality that exists is we need a goalie that has game winning ability and a #1 D-Man that can log 28 minutes per game. Arguably, we could also use a big winger that can score as well. Keating and Felhaber are way too one dimensional. Each of those two lines needs a solid muncher with size and decent hands to make up for what neither of those two guys do. We can’t leave that to their centres to do. IT is sort of like Hyman with Matthews and Nylander last year.

We have the assets and OA spots open to acquire the D-Man and forward. We all know who the goalie will probably be but we’ll wait to see what happens. I’d say if it doesn’t happen this week with DiPietro, it won’t happen until after the WJHC which means they need to move in a different direction and abandon the DiPietro discussion all together and leave Windsor hanging.

Reactions: BarberPole9

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
it won’t happen until after the WJHC which means they need to move in a different direction and abandon the DiPietro discussion all together and leave Windsor hanging.

Totally agree there. The new goalie needs to be on Ottawa's timetable, not Windsor's.

Having said that, imagine if Ottawa goes in another direction and, after the WJHC, Windsor deals DiPietro to Niagara, Oshawa or a top western team? Ouch.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Great game Will Cranley! We hope to see you again tomorrow.

Nice to see Austen Keating step up so far this year. He made the play of the game in setting up the tying goal and then set up the winner shortly thereafter.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Austen Keating 7th in league scoring 4games 2 goals 5 assists 7 points +1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Totally agree there. The new goalie needs to be on Ottawa's timetable, not Windsor's.

Having said that, imagine if Ottawa goes in another direction and, after the WJHC, Windsor deals DiPietro to Niagara, Oshawa or a top western team? Ouch.

The whole problem is barring injury or a goalie falling flat on his face, neither Niagara nor Oshawa should be in the running for DiPietro. Both have solid goaltending. I know Dhillon isn't a superstar but that may be a hard upgrade cost on a solid goalie. Depending on what happens in the West, London should be the front runner and won't trade for him. It's not like Owen Sound would part with those assets. It will depend on who else comes up the standings.

If it's the East, the only team I could see going hard is Barrie and that is if they have a strong first half and feel the need for upgrade.

If Ottawa does find an alternate solution, it may deflate the return significantly. As of right now, assuming Ottawa is hunting for DiPietro, the only reasonable explaination the deal wouldn't be done by end of next week is Windsor is in a bidding situation already. If they are in fact keeping him through the WJHC, it may backfire to the point they end up keeping him.

Sep 24, 2018
I say if Windsor doesn’t deal soon yes we look elsewhere perhaps Christian Propp from Northbay

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
another good effort today. 4 out of 6 points on the road is great looks like the team is playing as a team now.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
The whole problem is barring injury or a goalie falling flat on his face, neither Niagara nor Oshawa should be in the running for DiPietro. Both have solid goaltending. I know Dhillon isn't a superstar but that may be a hard upgrade cost on a solid goalie. Depending on what happens in the West, London should be the front runner and won't trade for him. It's not like Owen Sound would part with those assets. It will depend on who else comes up the standings.

If it's the East, the only team I could see going hard is Barrie and that is if they have a strong first half and feel the need for upgrade.

If Ottawa does find an alternate solution, it may deflate the return significantly. As of right now, assuming Ottawa is hunting for DiPietro, the only reasonable explaination the deal wouldn't be done by end of next week is Windsor is in a bidding situation already. If they are in fact keeping him through the WJHC, it may backfire to the point they end up keeping him.
What about Johnson from the hounds he is a overager and he won’t cost much probably a pick or two and is capable of being a number 1 goalie this season we currently have. 4 overagers

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From a Spits' fan's POV - I love what DiPietro has done for this team and for this city, but if they end up keeping him because the offers aren't up-to-par, it's almost disappointing. Windsor is going to get a huge return if/when he's dealt which should set us up for the future. It almost scares me that they'd hold onto him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I would think the only thing holding up DiPietro is whether or not the Euro is good enough to handle the load.

This road trip has always been a sort of feast or famine as it is the first time these guys are getting together without any outside interference. (school, daily life, parents and friends)

It is a good time for the players to really get to know each other off the ice as well as on.

Let's see how they do this month.

North Bay will not trade a goalie they always start slow and build.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I would think the only thing holding up DiPietro is whether or not the Euro is good enough to handle the load.

Early on, it seems like the Spitfires are testing Piiroinen out a bit to see what he can handle. Last season, they played DiPietro if he was able to move on the ice. Now, though, Piiroinen is being given much more of a chance and so far so good. It's early and a couple of games isn't much of a sample but you can see he's responding well. I'd guess that makes the Spits' decision a bit easier.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Thought Andree stepped up huge in Hamilton after taking the loss in Kitchener Friday. Solid performance; couldn't really be faulted on any of the Bulldogs goals.

Reactions: VimyRidge

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
It looks like we might have a solid goalie tandem after all. Now that the team has gelled somewhat, they’re giving up fewer odd man rushes and breakaways (which were the bane of Andrée’s existence for a couple of games). Nice to see Quinn with a highlight reel goal today. Maggio and Rossi also seem to be finding their stride.

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
Agreed, the goalies we already have are looking really good. If this continues we can use draft assets for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad