Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Okay let's look at this team We are 2nd in the league in goals against and that is without Dipietro. We are tied for first in goals for. Yes Niagara is catching up.
The defence we have is one of the most experienced in the league and is also a defence built on position play.
We have 2 of the top 5 goalies in the league.

4 of our so-called bad defence are in the top 10 in plus-minus for defence.

I think that people that have a problem with this defence really do not know what they are looking at or are fans of other teams.

As I said OHL hockey is a business. Do the owners care if they win the MEMORIAL CUP Yes but not if it means that the next year they will lose their fan base because they are rebuilding and playing like crap.

Owners want bums in the seats. The way to do that is to provide a consistent product that makes a night out enjoyable. Ottawa hailed Kilrea as the greatest thing in the world. He could have cared less about the Cup his drive and goal was to have a competitive team that brought fans to the game. It was also to develop men that became citizens and went on to better things.

Good teams do not sell the farm for one year and a dream it is too risky.

What you do is build a team that on any given night can win and put an exciting product on the ice.

I am sure that they had a chance at other players that might have been better but to give up a Tolnai or a Quinn for a 3-month player is stupid and bad business.

Remember if Ottawa had not been hosting the M Cup the last time they won it they would not have even qualified.
I have been a fan of the 67s since their original season. The oh lets be competitive forever but never make a real push for a championship days have passed by.

London, Hamilton, Windsor are not afraid to trade for a three or four month run using whatever they have available.

Why go out and get Dipietro for a few months if the other pieces are not coming.

The lack of bums in the seats now has a lot to do with the competition for the entertainment dollar. (Senators, Redblacks, Fury, 67s)

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I think people are worrying too much, we have a very good D. They just need to play to their strenghts. As for our special teams our pp will get better ( and has been recently) with the new guys being incorporated. The pk will also improve as we have the required players to make it worth especially on D. Coaching is maybe a bit of an issue there. At the end of the day One bad week end and people panic. Are we a perfect team? No but neither is anybody else. Wha't important is things coming together in the playoffs and I have great confidence in this team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Maybe we had an opportunity to land other players but maybe we didn’t. We don’t know if the players in question would have waived their NTC’s to go to a different team. As far as I am aware, none were asked but that doesn’t discount the fact Quinn and Clarke are from the Ottawa area and probably wouldn’t waive anyway.

The reality is we do have a good defense but I feel we did need an upgrade, especially for the PP. I’ve said that almost all season. If we get injuries on the back end, we will be tremendously exposed with little to no flexibility to make up for those injuries. We are definitly playing with fire.

I understand the idea of competing annually. However, it is rather unsatisfying to compete annually and never win anything. We went through that from ‘96 to ‘05 when we had numerous top tier teams that added relatively nothing and watched other teams pass us by at the deadline.

Chiodo is a good player but we really should have added an OA D-Man. I feel if there was a mistake made by Boyd, that was the one. I really don’t think we needed the added offense. After Maksimovich was added, we would have had three solid scoring lines and a solid rookie 4th line. Hell, I’d even dress the 7 D-Men and keep Peric dressed as opposed to sitting him in the press box.

In the end, the team we have is the team we have. It is a very strong team. It can come at you in waves. We will continue to accumulate loads of points in the standings because we will slaughter the average teams. The question is whether we can outlast the other good teams in a 7 game series. Time will tell.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
3 good posts from OMG, Sirius, analyse above - all from different viewpoints. All seem to agree D could have used an upgrade. Real question is if you support the standpat approach because the ask was too high or for whatever reason, Why go out and get a goalie at that cost unless you are going for it? He is great goaltender, but without the upgrade everywhere, that is a hell of a cost. Also what was already in net was quite strong. If you are not really pushing over the top, why do the goalie move? Had a goalie with 909 save percentage and brought in one with 913. Yes the new one is world class, but if you are not going all in, could you not have done pretty well with what you had and made better use of the assets? It seems odd. Still think you get through at least 2 rounds but should have pushed it over the top.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kirin and Wooley are decent players but neither are considered game changer prospects. NEither will come close to equaling the players they were traded for.

Prueter is a decent player that may turn into something.

Perrott may turn into something decent.

So, if we were to omit the players Niagara traded since in my opinion they were completely out to lunch this deadline, there were no real significant prospects traded.

If we look at Ottawa’s trade chips that were being asked for, I’d suggest all of them are better prospects than the players listed above.

Quinn
Tolnai
Clarke
Peric

My personal opinion of Clarke aside, he still has significant value and is still a desired player.

It is interesting to note, if we had simply held on to Robertson instead of trading him for the two 2nds, we may have actually had a trade chip that could have been more enticing than the two 2nds we got for him! How ironic is that?

Also, drafting the NCAA bound players in the ‘01 draft may have hurt us a bit. Sure, we did flip a couple of them in deals but if they were signed players, I believe we’d have gotten much more and-or had more depth from which to trade from.

So, if we look at this a little deeper, maybe the draft strategy in 2017 hurt us a bit at this deadline. The players we have are pretty good players, good enough to think we have a good chance of contending next year with these guys as 18 year olds and not enough actual bodies to use as trade chips for throw in players like many that were tossed into trades at this deadline.

What I fail to understand is how devalued the draft picks were in general. We see 2nds traded at the beginning of the year for players all the time. It is easy to flip those picks for players at the start of the season out of training camp. OWen Sound could have made similar trades as they did with the Robertson trade had they taken a big picks package.

Most likely, teams have surplus players pre-season and can manage cards early by accepting pick value for players. Teams selling big mid-season as Owen Sound did moving Philips, Suzuki, Durzi, & Hancock need some players in return to ice a full roster that will give their fans some reason to go watch games ROS and/or fill voids of ‘00 & ‘01 birth years created when building around the ‘97-‘99 born.
There are also some GMs that are just reluctant to trade their top players without returning players that at least have some proven ability to play in the OHL. Butler, DeGray, Ford, seem consistent in this regard.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
67s fall to 6th place in the CHL weekly standings. I guess that is what happens when you go 5 and 5 in your past 10 games.

Hopefully this will take their mind off of being a top dog and concentrate on improving overall play. I trust Tourigny can instill some team chemistry with the new additions.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am a believer that this team is ready for the playoffs and to go deep in them. The question about how far is going to depend on a lot of things but it is not going to be ur defence. This is a crew that has played together for 2 years they know each other. They also know when to pinch and when not to. In the regular season, players and teams play a different style of hockey.

I will still put this team ahead of anyone I the league right now. Remember part of that 5 and 5 was the 3 and 3. As a 67 fan it is the one thing I hated about Belleville leaving. It had nothing to do with the rivalry but everything to do with those 3 game strips that teams had to complete in 2.5 days.

We played the best in the west and got beat that is ok now the players know they are not perfect and have work to do. Frankly, that is a good thing.

Let's see how they bounce back and go from here.

Whether we coulda or shoulda means absolutely CRAP.

This is our team so stop second guessing something that you do not know. Let's give Tourigny and Boyd the benefit of the doubt and see where this team goes.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am a believer that this team is ready for the playoffs and to go deep in them. The question about how far is going to depend on a lot of things but it is not going to be ur defence. This is a crew that has played together for 2 years they know each other. They also know when to pinch and when not to. In the regular season, players and teams play a different style of hockey.

I will still put this team ahead of anyone I the league right now. Remember part of that 5 and 5 was the 3 and 3. As a 67 fan it is the one thing I hated about Belleville leaving. It had nothing to do with the rivalry but everything to do with those 3 game strips that teams had to complete in 2.5 days.

We played the best in the west and got beat that is ok now the players know they are not perfect and have work to do. Frankly, that is a good thing.

Let's see how they bounce back and go from here.

Whether we coulda or shoulda means absolutely CRAP.

This is our team so stop second guessing something that you do not know. Let's give Tourigny and Boyd the benefit of the doubt and see where this team goes.
I agree Ottawa has a very good team.

Ottawa has also built a nice cushion in the East. You have the luxury of time on your side. Frankly you could be mediocre for another 10 games and still win the east. The sky is not falling in Ottawa. Regular season doesn't count for much once you get to the playoffs. You would much rather have some hardships and mini slumps to overcome now than the post season. Let this team figure it out. Give them the time to do it. They have earned the right.

Reactions: sirius67fan

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
so uh...what's the upside of Felhaber and Keating?

I always thought Keating should have been drafted, but are either of these guys worth an NHL contract?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
so uh...what's the upside of Felhaber and Keating?

I always thought Keating should have been drafted, but are either of these guys worth an NHL contract?

I think with Keating it is more foot speed than anything. He's one of those really good OHL players but not a guy that really translates into a Pro game.

Felhaber is clearly a late bloomer. They sort of gave up on him in Saginaw. We got him fairly cheap. He may be able to elevate his game to a pro level. NHL? Maybe not but I could see him in a decent situation in a high level European Club or in the AHL as a career guy.

Reactions: MordredGK

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good game last night, dominated from start to finish. Congrats to Mikey for his all time OHL record...very impressive! A word about Kody. As much as I like his compete, sandpaper speed and good backcheck there is an aspect of his game that he needs to work on. He hangs on to the puck way too much and then telegraphs his shot which end up deflected out of play. Happened twice on one shift last night. And its been a pattern. One thing he is not is a playmaker/passer as seems to not see the ice very well. Give the puck to Chem, get in position/crash the net and play to your strenghts.

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
Great achievement by Mikey DiPietro with a new shutout record! With the excellent team defence and Mikey between the pipes, Ottawa should be a clear favourite to win the OHL Cup. ENJOY!!

Sep 24, 2018
Having read many comments about the team not performing well or being up to London’s or Guelph’s level because of last weekend.
I remind you all that the post season is the season that counts the most and we will have to wait and see what kind of team we really have during the playoffs.
My prediction is that we will be in the final but after that it’s up to the team to write the ending.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Just another win, man we are spoiled this year. The kid line of Clarke, Tolnai and Quinn has looked great the past couple of games.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I've been too busy lately to catch games. Is Maksimovich out of sync or does he need new linemates to get himself going?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I've been too busy lately to catch games. Is Maksimovich out of sync or does he need new linemates to get himself going?
A bit of both imo, he's shown flashes but you can tell he's still getting use to their style of play. Not crazy about that third line yesterday maks/hoelscher/chiodo. Small line I'd put Bitten on left wing and Maks with Chem as he can finish better. With his speed and smarts just a matter of time for him.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Suggestion for the power play. We need a playmaker/ quarterback back there. I'd switch Felhaber up front and put Rossi on the point. With his stickhandling skills he'll be able to separate and create those numerical mismatches and open up guys for the pass.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Question

Out of the past 25 years which 67 did you find the most entertaining.

I have a few Freddie Oduya He was so nice to help people he knocked down to get back up

Lance - you never knew which lance Killer was sending out

Kevin Weekes - he played with such an intensity and he did the best version of 3 blind mice I ever saw in front of the referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad