Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ok looking at the last few games I have to wonder was DP worth it as a starter. I think this team did just as well or better with Andree. I definitely think they are a great pair to have though

I do not hear the Oshawa fans on here about how bad our trades were and how great theirs were LOL

Reactions: shanewalsh

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Despite being outshot, I felt that Ottawa was the better team today. They have three lines going that would be top lines on over half the league.

Was glad to see Andree put up another great game and would be happy to see him get the start against Saginaw tomorrow.

With the way things are trending, I would love to see Ottawa play Oshawa in a 1-4 series in the second round.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is interesting that people have complained about our defense but neglect that fact that they have one of if not the lowest shots against total in the league. We have now have the number 2 and number 3 goalie in the league 4 of our defense are in the top 15 plus-minus Would be higher except for some weird kids called Keating Rossi fehlbar

for those that doubt this team lets take a look at what it has. I have been around this league for a long time and can not remember a team that can roll 4 lines that can score against you to the level that this team has.

While people complain about power plays and such I would rather have a team that can kill the opponent and not worries about needing to go onto the powerplay over a team that can score at will.

The fact that we traded for arguably the best goalie in the league and he is now the second-best goalie on the team or has to share the limelight with Andree does not diminish his ability it simply tells people the depth of this team.

The only team tht does not have a worry other than us might be London but they do not have the firepower.

Niagara may be in trouble. They rely on Dhillon. That is a lot to do. in the playoffs, it is new season weakness are exploited. Scrums in front of the net get more intense and the rest time is shorter.

As to shot totals, I was wondering if someone can tell us the quality of the shots we are giving up.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Despite being outshot, I felt that Ottawa was the better team today. They have three lines going that would be top lines on over half the league.

Was glad to see Andree put up another great game and would be happy to see him get the start against Saginaw tomorrow.

With the way things are trending, I would love to see Ottawa play Oshawa in a 1-4 series in the second round.

BP no please not that. I want an Oshawa Niagara series. Let the Gens finish 3rd.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
It is interesting that people have complained about our defense but neglect that fact that they have one of if not the lowest shots against total in the league. We have now have the number 2 and number 3 goalie in the league 4 of our defense are in the top 15 plus-minus Would be higher except for some weird kids called Keating Rossi fehlbar

for those that doubt this team lets take a look at what it has. I have been around this league for a long time and can not remember a team that can roll 4 lines that can score against you to the level that this team has.

While people complain about power plays and such I would rather have a team that can kill the opponent and not worries about needing to go onto the powerplay over a team that can score at will.

The fact that we traded for arguably the best goalie in the league and he is now the second-best goalie on the team or has to share the limelight with Andree does not diminish his ability it simply tells people the depth of this team.

The only team tht does not have a worry other than us might be London but they do not have the firepower.

Niagara may be in trouble. They rely on Dhillon. That is a lot to do. in the playoffs, it is new season weakness are exploited. Scrums in front of the net get more intense and the rest time is shorter.

As to shot totals, I was wondering if someone can tell us the quality of the shots we are giving up.
I beg to differ that London does not have the firepower as they have scored a couple of more goals than us in 2 less games. Their goaltending is on par or very close. Plus they can still add Formenton.

The team we are playing today is very good since the trade deadline, as well as SSM, Guelph and Niagara. Sudbury could be dangerous come playoffs.

We have a good team but their is plenty of competition for supremacy this season. No clear cut winner in my mind.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
analyser

I do not disagree with you my point of the worthy competition was that the only team that does not rely on one goalie is London. They and us are the only teams that can actually change goalies in the playoffs without a perceived loss in the ability of the backup (if we could ever decide who the back up was on this team)

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
analyser

I do not disagree with you my point of the worthy competition was that the only team that does not rely on one goalie is London. They and us are the only teams that can actually change goalies in the playoffs without a perceived loss in the ability of the backup (if we could ever decide who the back up was on this team)

Andree gets the start again today. He earned it.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Nice and tidy weekend. I like the line configurations. Looks like Hoelscher with Chiodo and Maksimovich is starting to feel good together. I also like they kept Chmelevski wit Bitten and Clark. I think that will be a solid head to head line in the playoffs with Bitten on the defensive side of the puck using what size he has effectively. Clearly opposing teams will key on the Rossi line and then they can key on a 2nd line but they will have to choose between the Chmelevski line or Hoelscher line.

I agree with Beast regarding the 4th line; however, the Belleville line in 1999 with Renzi, Robinson and Newbury was pretty darned good in the playoffs that year. They were a difference maker for that team. If we were to get that out of Tolnai, Clarke and Quinn, it would be outstanding.

Andree with another solid weekend. DiPietro is definitely the starter BUT Andree is pushing for the net which is something great to see. At 5'10" 165, I don't see him getting much NHL draft attention but it will be interesting to see if some team takes a flyer on him late.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
There is potential with Quinn, Clarke, and Tolnai. Maybe some more time together will help. Andree has been superb this year. Of the two, DiPietro is the better puckhandler, but less athletic. Andree is all over the pucks in the zone. I am a bit concerned about shootouts, but those are not a concern in the playoffs. It is a nice choice to have to make, but the goalies may not feel that way.

Saginaw is a very good team, but Ottawa's heavy pressure paid off eventually. More phantom penalties today. Is the game too quick for these guys?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
What a great weekend for the boys in Barberpoles! The top line has been dynamic but both the 2nd and 3rd lines are also playing really well.

Maksimovich really looked good this weekend- he is a really chippy player willing to do anything to win puck battles. He and Chiodo have been perfect complements to Mitch Hoelscher, who quietly had 5 points this weekend.

Great to see Cedric Andrée rise to the challenge of the Team Canada starting Goaltender, I am hoping that they continue to push each other and that Coach Tourigny continues to reward whichever Goalie is playing best with the net. It was a good sign that they have a performance culture when Andrée got the net for his second game of the weekend yesterday.

This week, Ottawa gets Kingston at home on Wednesday and then has its last two huge tests of the year at home in Guelph and Niagara on Friday and Sunday. The schedule REALLY lightens up after that with games against the following:

PBO X 3
HAM X 3
KGN X 4
MISS X 2
OSH X 2
KIT X 1
BAR X 1
NB X 1

London has a tougher go in the West for their remaining schedule, so if the team can continue to play at this level they have a very legit shot at first overall.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
London has a tougher go in the West for their remaining schedule, so if the team can continue to play at this level they have a very legit shot at first overall.

Refreshing to see an acknowledgement that London faces a somewhat tougher schedule ahead. Playing in the Midwest Division pretty much insures the strength of the Knight's opponents generally. Perhaps that strength of opposition will be the element that "tempers" and strengthens them for the playoffs ? Last season, the Greyhounds had a strong team, that some fans expected to make the finals. Their undoing was having to play 2 Midwestern teams ( Owen Sound & Kitchener ) back to back. It's a very tough division to play in, and maintain any momentum.
Hopefully, we get to see the Knights & 67's match up in the OHL finals. Best of luck in getting there.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
67's continue to look strong - still not convinced enough was done at the deadline. Maybe, and they are certainly a favorite but should have taken a bit bigger step forward with trades. Not second guessing as I like the goalie trade that was made, but if you had it to do over would you spend those assets on skaters (d, and OA upgrades) and go with the goalie that was already here? Time will tell.

Sep 24, 2018
I think if we would have stuck solely with Andree it would have been fine but if ever he got injured even for a week or two in the playoffs we would be in a bad way.
Acquiring Dipietro gives us a solid chance to always be in the run to the cup.
We have a plan A and a plan B with regards to goalies

Reactions: LR8 and OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think if we would have stuck solely with Andree it would have been fine but if ever he got injured even for a week or two in the playoffs we would be in a bad way.
Acquiring Dipietro gives us a solid chance to always be in the run to the cup.
We have a plan A and a plan B with regards to goalies

Exactly

67's continue to look strong - still not convinced enough was done at the deadline. Maybe, and they are certainly a favorite but should have taken a bit bigger step forward with trades. Not second guessing as I like the goalie trade that was made, but if you had it to do over would you spend those assets on skaters (d, and OA upgrades) and go with the goalie that was already here? Time will tell.

The only thing we could have done, provided it were possible, was to trade for Suzuki and Durzi instead of Chiodo. As much as that would have been interesting, it is a marginal upgrade on forward and maybe not even much of one to be honest. Chiodo is a great player. He may not be the prospect Suzuki is but at the OHL level, he produces well.

I’d have liked to see one additional experienced D-Man added but I have to admit Belanger has played very well. I just don’t like only having 7 D-Men. I’m not sure what we even have to call up as we’ve only used those guys. I think we’d have to pull a forward back to Defense.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Exactly

The only thing we could have done, provided it were possible, was to trade for Suzuki and Durzi instead of Chiodo. As much as that would have been interesting, it is a marginal upgrade on forward and maybe not even much of one to be honest. Chiodo is a great player. He may not be the prospect Suzuki is but at the OHL level, he produces well.

I’d have liked to see one additional experienced D-Man added but I have to admit Belanger has played very well. I just don’t like only having 7 D-Men. I’m not sure what we even have to call up as we’ve only used those guys. I think we’d have to pull a forward back to Defense.

I like the post, but no offence to Chiodo, but it is much more than an marginal upgrade! Perhaps forwards were super good either way, but Suzuki would have been more than marginal

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I like the post, but no offence to Chiodo, but it is much more than an marginal upgrade! Perhaps forwards were super good either way, but Suzuki would have been more than marginal

I’m not saying Suzuki isn’t a better player. What I am saying is the upgrade is marginal. This is moreso based on the forward depth overall. We didn’t really need the added forward. For example, Chiodo is playing 3rd line with Maksimovich. If we’d have picked up Suzuki, maybe he’d play 2nd line and push one of the 2nd liners down to the 3rd line? That is what is marginal. We didn’t need a centre in the top 3 lines.

If you look strictly at scoring in a bubble, Chiodo is jsut as good. Suzuki provides more than scoring but again he would supplant another capable centre or shift to the wing.

Any way you slice it, on the 67’s, Suzuki is a marginal upgrade to Chiodo based on depth. Arguably, we needed the natural winger more than the centre too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad