Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
You know primary shot contribution and the like has nothing to do with Corsi right? Or do you just like using buzzwords just so you can sound informed about the advanced stat conversation?

Today's "advanced" analytics are all primarily shot based being used as an approximation of something. They all just get dressed up in different pretty packages ("lipstick on a pig" comes to mind) but really saying the same thing.

Pittsburgh's mantra during the Stanley Cup run was "first to touch" (the puck). I'm eagerly waiting for the analytics that talk about how possession might be driven by a player being willing to go back into a corner at 20mph with a forechecker on his shoulder and gaining the puck, or, not being driven by a player that inexplicably loses his speed in situations like that. Wouldn't be a bad "proxy" for the much maligned "toughness and grit". The analytics world would never take that a challenge like that on because it's a distraction from shot based stuff.

The problem with shot based nonsense is that it is held up as the "be all" and then extended to even more silly interpretations such as "best" and "worst" . Really, really, sad.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Guys still on the market (UFAs)
- Kris Russell
- Kyle Quincey
- Dennis Seidenberg
- Christian Ehrhoff
- Nicklas Grossman
- Matt Bartowski (booo)
- Eric Gryba

... I'd be happy with any of the top 3 on that list, all are clear (clear) upgrades on Boro.

Ehrhoff is... well, he used to be a very good player. Now he is a ghost of his former self due to far too many concussions. He's shell-shocked. He's done. He needs to retire before he suffers permanent damage.

Grossman / Bartowski / Gryba I have no interest in.
I'd love to see Russell (1yr/2.5M) in OTT, and seeing the $$$ that Hudler just took, I would believe that he could also be on the cheap side and would most likely fit OTT's system very well...

Korpikoski (LW) is also still out there and would be a decent addition to the team (1yr/1.5M)... we DO NOT have any LW depth whatsoever (3L/4L LW)!

14079665_10154486838158914_4924994658476385593_n.jpg

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I'd love to see Russell (1yr/2.5M) in OTT, and seeing the $$$ that Hudler just took, I would believe that he could also be on the cheap side and would most likely fit OTT's system very well...

Korpikoski (LW) is also still out there and would be a decent addition to the team (1yr/1.5M)... we DO NOT have any LW depth whatsoever (3L/4L LW)!

14139109_10154486832603914_1376177345_o.jpg

I would give Russell two years, that allows us to have Methot or Russell after expansion.

I feel like were going to lose Methot anyways.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would give Russell two years, that allows us to have Methot or Russell after expansion.

I feel like were going to lose Methot anyways.

Can't see Russell signing anything but a 1 year deal. D are going to make bank in UFA after the expansion draft.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I agree with you on this.

While balance is nice, assuming a line of MacArthur-Turris-Lazar will be a competitive top six trio seems to be based more on memory and hope than what is likely the reality come October.

Mac has played 17 games since Feb 16th, 20015 and while it isn't impossible, it is very unlikely he will resemble the Mac of 2013/14 out of training camp.

Add to this Lazar, a player that has struggle mightily to produce offense on any line on the right side and IMO we are very unlikely to see this line combination.

While true, MacArthur should definitely be playing on a scoring line in pre-season and early season to get his game back.

The "balance" idea is based on the performance of the Smith-Pageau-Stone line late in the season, but I think Stone has become the new Alfie - whatever line you put him on he makes the other guys look good. Stone is our best forward and the lines discussions should start like this:

1. ? - ? - Stone
2. ? - ? - ?
3. ? - ? - ?
4. ? - ? - ?

If MacArthur can get his game back I'm actually quite interested/excited to see what MacArthur and Stone can do together. MacArthur's injury coincided with Stone's breakout - so we have never actually seen these two on play together when they are both in form. It will be fun to watch.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Wouldn't mind Russel for the bottom pairing. Although I'd give Claesson an extended look first. If Russel is replacing Boro on the roster, then by all means.

As for Korpikoski, I don't think we need him. We have enough LW's. Hoffman, Mac, Smith, Puempel, Dzingel, Paul, Pyatt, etc...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wouldn't mind Russel for the bottom pairing. Although I'd give Claesson an extended look first. If Russel is replacing Boro on the roster, then by all means.

As for Korpikoski, I don't think we need him. We have enough LW's. Hoffman, Mac, Smith, Puempel, Dzingel, Paul, Pyatt, etc...

Cap friendly lists Korpikoski as a LW/RW, not sure if that's accurate, but I would only consider him if he can play the right side.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
NHL Gamecenter auto-renewed my subscription when I didn't want it. Those are my thoughts.

Yeah, they run an opt-out system. Not very hard to do, though, think all I had to do was uncheck a box. If you don't want it, I think you can probably still reverse the charge.

Seems really early, though, they used to charge me for renewal a week or two into the season. I don't think you can buy it as a new subscriber yet. How much did they charge, if you don't mind me asking?

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
NHL Gamecenter auto-renewed my subscription when I didn't want it. Those are my thoughts.

Yeah, they run an opt-out system. Not very hard to do, though, think all I had to do was uncheck a box. If you don't want it, I think you can probably still reverse the charge.

Seems really early, though, they used to charge me for renewal a week or two into the season. I don't think you can buy it as a new subscriber yet. How much did they charge, if you don't mind me asking?

It's $179.99 + $10 in taxes. At least for me.

When you sign up there's a tick box that asks if you want to auto-renew, as you suggested. I've had to get charges reversed in the past from them and it was no problem.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
It's $179.99 + $10 in taxes. At least for me.

When you sign up there's a tick box that asks if you want to auto-renew, as you suggested. I've had to get charges reversed in the past from them and it was no problem.

That's the same as last year, right? Thinking about buying back in this year, but haven't seen any pricing info yet.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
That's the same as last year, right? Thinking about buying back in this year, but haven't seen any pricing info yet.

If it's any different, it's a matter of $5 or $10. Definitely worth it, especially if you don't have cable (like me).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If it's any different, it's a matter of $5 or $10. Definitely worth it, especially if you don't have cable (like me).

I remember life without cable TV. That was long ago and far away: 1960s !

Had to string some aluminum foil between the rabbit ears antenna to get a 4th channel. And had to hold onto it to get rid of the fuzzies! Those were the days! :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Derrick Brassard confirmed today that Guy Boucher expects Brassard to play between Clarke MacArthur on the left side and Bobby Ryan on the right, at least at first.

Brassard is gearing up for his first Sens camp. He has already had a chance to sit down with Boucher to discuss his role. He hinted he’d start camp with Bobby Ryan and MacArthur. “That’s probably the plan right now,” Brassard said. “If I start with Bobby and Clarke, we can find some really good chemistry together. We have a little bit of everything on that line. Clarke is coming off an injury and he’s probably going to be pretty excited to play this year. He’s probably going to have something to prove and I’m a new guy here and I’m going to have something to prove his well. It’s the same thing for Bobby. One thing I noticed in New York when we had success, you need a top nine, you don’t need a top six and you need four lines rolling all the time. We’re just going to try to get some production.”

1A: Hoffman-Turris-Stone
1B: MacArthur-Brassard-Ryan

That seems to be the top-6 set in stone, unless we discover something new in camp we hadn't anticipated.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not bad. The Smith - JGP - Lazar would then be the energy/shutdown line. I'm not really sold on the bottom six. Too many 4th liners.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That should put to rest Stone playing with Smith and JGP, I hope.

Not that I ever really thought it would happen, but why would Brassard playing with Mac and Ryan affect who Stone plays with (other than not with Brassard and Mac)?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not that I ever really thought it would happen, but why would Brassard playing with Mac and Ryan affect who Stone plays with (other than not with Brassard and Mac)?

It in no way does :laugh:

It's just me assuming/hoping Boucher isn't an idiot and wouldn't play our best forward with 3rd liners, when we have two top 6 triggermen he can play with.

Myself jumping the gun.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It in no way does :laugh:

It's just me assuming/hoping Boucher isn't an idiot and wouldn't play our best forward with 3rd liners, when we have two top 6 triggermen he can play with.

Myself jumping the gun.

Gotcha, though Brassard does say you need a top 9, not a top 6, so if anything, he's actually fueling speculation that we may try and spread out the talent:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad