Confirmed Trade: [OTT/VGK] Evgenii Dadonov for Nick Holden and 2022 3rd round pick

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I disagree with this, he's a vet. We had multiple rookies figured it out after the start. He looked terrible on our PP, worse than when we had Legwand and Gomez playing the half boards. If he was in his 20's I'd say bounce back season could be possible, but he's was product of his linemates in FLA. He could out up higher numbers in Vegas, but that doesn't mean much if his game stays the same as last year

Thats fair and its certainly possible. I noticed dadonov a lot during the season. He had jump, he had his chances he just never capitalized on them.

I like the trade for the senators. I think the odds of dadonov rebounding in ottawa was slim given where he'd be sitting on the depth chart with the emergence of brown and batherson.

Just wouldnt be shocked if he does find his game on another team. Vegas is deep on the wing as well... so that might not be the best fit for him either.

I guess we will see

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Thats fair and its certainly possible. I noticed dadonov a lot during the season. He had jump, he had his chances he just never capitalized on them.

I like the trade for the senators. I think the odds of dadonov rebounding in ottawa was slim given where he'd be sitting on the depth chart with the emergence of brown and batherson.

Just wouldnt be shocked if he does find his game on another team. Vegas is deep on the wing as well... so that might not be the best fit for him either.

I guess we will see
Yeah another season in Ottawa would not have done him any favors

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Hey look another trade Seattle could have made by selecting the BPA in expansion.

So far had they taken Dadonov, Dillon and Zadorov they could have flipped for:

Nick Holden
2022 2nd
2023 2nd
2022 3rd
2023 3rd

instead they got:

Joey Daccord
John Quenneville (no longer on team, UFA)
Vitek Vanacek

I think I can excuse Daccord and Vanacek. I think Vanacek can be a starter which is worth more than the Dillon trade and Daccord has a decent upside and could probably return a 3rd if traded but picking Pitlick over Fischer and and not picking Jake Bean, literally anyone else in from the Kings and a few other things are a lot worse.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Vegas is hoping that Dadonov can reproduce his numbers with Barkov if they put him on a line with Eichel.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Dadonov will score 20 goals next season, he just didn't fit in Ottawa.

Solid pick up as he needed a change of scenery and if they do go after Eichel, one of their wingers around the same cap hit will go the other way.

Reactions: uncleben

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Dadonov will so a lot better in Vegas. They basically got Tomas Tatar like player but this time for only a third. I am expecting 20-25 goals if in top 6, 15-20 on the third line.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa saves $10M in real money on this deal over 2 years (including what they have to pay Holden), and gets a 3rd round pick out of it. Yay?

Dadanov was ok at times, but he did not have an impact on what he was brought in to do at all. Like ZERO. They wanted him to help the Power Play and he might have had the lowest pts/60 on the PP in history. No goals, one assist in over 160 mins of PP time.

Wasn't a good fit in Ottawa. If he can return to where he was 2 years ago, Vegas has a player. If he was only a product of Barkov and Huberdeau, Vegas just wasted a lot of money

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Vegas after dumping Fleury to get Brossoit and Dadonov

5hw467.jpg

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
There are sometimes where a player isn't a bad player but just doesn't fit tactically with a team. I think that's the case with Dadonov, I think he puts together good seasons with Vegas.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There are sometimes where a player isn't a bad player but just doesn't fit tactically with a team. I think that's the case with Dadonov, I think he puts together good seasons with Vegas.

Doubt it. Vegas does not have a center like Barkov and it seems like Dadonov can only produce with a quality center. Something Vegas does not have right now and McCrimmon is too stupid to realize it.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Doubt it. Vegas does not have a center like Barkov and it seems like Dadonov can only produce with a quality center. Something Vegas does not have right now and McCrimmon is too stupid to realize it.

They have other good players and they play a quick passing/possession style which is what Dadonov is good at.
They might also be making a move for Eichel or Kuznetsov.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
He's a good player but unless this is a prelude to them trading Tuch for a center makes absolutely no sense. They spent 5 million to add to their biggest strength instead of their one gaping weakness

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They might be moving Rielly Smith or some other wingers in an Eichel blockbuster.

Otherwise this makes zero sense. Actually it makes zero sense either way because they could have done better than taking Dadonov at full freight. After the bad year he just had you'd think they could get a discount or something.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Daddy tried really hard last year but he's pretty weak on the boards and didn't generate anything on the powerplay. Mostly useless for majority of the games.

Reactions: robsenz

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
From his hilights he's got pretty slick hand-eye coordination and a nifty backhand. He looks a bit like Marchessault without the crazy honeybadger mindset.

This can go either way. Dadonov scores 35 goals, or he gets bought out next year.

Pacioretty Patrick Stone
Marchessault Karlsson Smith
Dadonov Stephenson Tuch
Janmark Roy Kolesar

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Daddy tried really hard last year but he's pretty weak on the boards and didn't generate anything on the powerplay. Mostly useless for majority of the games.

I wouldn't say he tried hard. There is something endearing about Dadonov, but his second effort is terrible. His version of battling was standing 4 feet off of a scrum and putting his stick in the mix. He makes efforts to get to loose pucks, but once he's beat (which is usually how it goes), his efforts to get it back/become an obstacle are pretty weak.

I do think he can be much better for Vegas... he is certainly capable of contributing on the PP with the right set-up, and that was totally lacking for him in Ottawa. I have very little doubt that he can score 20 or 25 + and be a positive player.... he just really wasnt that in Ottawa. The most frustrating part about that, for me, was that he wasnt doing the little things that almost everyone else on our team does. When you have Brady, Brown, Batherson, Norris, Stutzle, Paul, Watson, Bishop, and even White digging in, battling, giving a second, third and fourth effort, and generally being more productive than Dadonov at the same time, it makes his play stand out more.

That said, he went from attempting about 4.5 shots per game in Florida to just under 3 in Ottawa... he went from producing .2 powerplay pts/game to .018... his on-ice shooting percentage went from 11.5% to 8.4% and his on-ice goals per game went from 1.37 to .70. If he can split the difference on those totals (3.75 SA/G, .1pts/G on PP, on-ice 1 goal/G, oiSH% of 9.9%), he would be around 25 goals and 20 assists and I think that's a reasonable expectation for him to hit. If he finds the right fit, I could see him pushing 30 goals and 60 points. It is hard for me to imagine him being worse than last year, and his pace was still approx 20 goals and 30pts.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Ottawa saves $10M in real money on this deal over 2 years (including what they have to pay Holden), and gets a 3rd round pick out of it. Yay?

Dadanov was ok at times, but he did not have an impact on what he was brought in to do at all. Like ZERO. They wanted him to help the Power Play and he might have had the lowest pts/60 on the PP in history. No goals, one assist in over 160 mins of PP time.

Wasn't a good fit in Ottawa. If he can return to where he was 2 years ago, Vegas has a player. If he was only a product of Barkov and Huberdeau, Vegas just wasted a lot of money
Ottawa saves 11.5 mil, not 10. His contract was « backloaded »

Edit: oh my bad, you’re taking into account the money coming in as one should do. carry on.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed it was never a lack of effort on his part. Maybe he was trying too hard and not letting the game come to him. They tried him with Norris and Stutzle a fair amount but there was no chemistry. Ironically the best he looked was with two grinders in Paul and White. It was a short season change of scenery and didnt have his family with him not an easy transition for anyone. I think he might have found his game with a full season in Ottawa. I dont think its as bad a deal as people are suggesting for Vegas, he could very well return to his form in Florida. However I do agree its strange for them to add a winger considering the teams strengths.

Ottawa as we all know is a budget team so a move like this may open up some options for a top 4 d man or a top 6 centerman. I like Holden in a depth role, problem is Ottawa is litered with bottom pairing D men. Made the Del Zotto signing so bizarre. Classice Dorion makes a great move then a head scratcher.

Reactions: SensFactor

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
This is honestly one of the strangest trades in recent memory. Holden is Ottawa's third best defenseman this year, is playing top 4 minutes and they just extended him. I'm aware that doesn't mean a whole lot considering how weak our D core is, but he could easily crack almost any team's top 6 with the way he's played this year. Dadonov has 21 points in 47 games and probably holds negative value at this point considering his 5M cap hit runs through next season.

To recap, Vegas dumped their face of the franchise goaltender fresh off a Vezina trophy for literally nothing to clear 7M off the cap. They used 5M of this to bring in 32 year old Evgenii Dadonov who was coming off an atrocious season. They also threw in a competent defenseman on an expiring cheap deal and a third round pick.

Other contenders for weirdest trade include the Buchnevich and Nedeljkovic deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00