Confirmed Trade: [OTT/VGK] Evgenii Dadonov for Nick Holden and 2022 3rd round pick

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
This is honestly one of the strangest trades in recent memory. Holden is Ottawa's third best defenseman this year, is playing top 4 minutes and they just extended him. I'm aware that doesn't mean a whole lot considering how weak our D core is, but he could easily crack almost any team's top 6 with the way he's played this year. Dadonov has 21 points in 47 games and probably holds negative value at this point considering his 5M cap hit runs through next season.

To recap, Vegas dumped their face of the franchise goaltender fresh off a Vezina trophy for literally nothing to clear 7M off the cap. They used 5M of this to bring in 32 year old Evgenii Dadonov who was coming off an atrocious season. They also threw in a competent defenseman on an expiring cheap deal and a third round pick.

Other contenders for weirdest trade include the Buchnevich and Nedeljkovic deals.
The Buch deal, yes for sure.
But I feel like the Nedeljkovic deal made a ton of sense in hindsight. Especially with seeing how well Andersen has played for Carolina this year and how Ned has been average in Detroit.
Ned is small and they were selling high on him, hell - earlier in the year he was on waivers and they were able to get a 3rd for him at year’s end. Not half bad.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
This is honestly one of the strangest trades in recent memory. Holden is Ottawa's third best defenseman this year, is playing top 4 minutes and they just extended him. I'm aware that doesn't mean a whole lot considering how weak our D core is, but he could easily crack almost any team's top 6 with the way he's played this year. Dadonov has 21 points in 47 games and probably holds negative value at this point considering his 5M cap hit runs through next season.

To recap, Vegas dumped their face of the franchise goaltender fresh off a Vezina trophy for literally nothing to clear 7M off the cap. They used 5M of this to bring in 32 year old Evgenii Dadonov who was coming off an atrocious season. They also threw in a competent defenseman on an expiring cheap deal and a third round pick.

Other contenders for weirdest trade include the Buchnevich and Nedeljkovic deals.
Carolina wanted a more proven goalie and Andersen has proven to be absolutely elite this season and Buchnevich was priced out of New York. Nothing weird with those.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Regarding Holden, if Chiarot is able to return a first round pick… What is Holden’s value at the deadline? Seems like he brings just as much at half the cap hit.

Reactions: jbeck5

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Carolina wanted a more proven goalie and Andersen has proven to be absolutely elite this season and Buchnevich was priced out of New York. Nothing weird with those.

He's a top line forward making $5.8 million, just $2.6 million more than he made last year. That doesn't price you out of anywhere. It was an absolutely brutal trade.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Naw, just another pointless bump to a topic from last year.
This was an awesome bump because everyone knows that Vegas is gonna have to do something amazing to get under the cap and ice a roster of greater than 16 players next year and Dadonov is one of the guys to go

Reactions: SquidNasty

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
This was an awesome bump because everyone knows that Vegas is gonna have to do something amazing to get under the cap and ice a roster of greater than 16 players next year and Dadonov is one of the guys to go

All these predictions of spectacular salary cap calamity never come to pass. Remember when Tampa was going to have to blow everything up?

Vegas will get some timely "injuries" and keep the core together, and eventually they'll be able to offload a bad contract or two in exchange for a permanently LTIR'd contract.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
All these predictions of spectacular salary cap calamity never come to pass. Remember when Tampa was going to have to blow everything up?

Vegas will get some timely "injuries" and keep the core together, and eventually they'll be able to offload a bad contract or two in exchange for a permanently LTIR'd contract.

Didn't Tampa lose their entire very effective 3rd line? Let's see if they win the cup again without it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Regarding Holden, if Chiarot is able to return a first round pick… What is Holden’s value at the deadline? Seems like he brings just as much at half the cap hit.

We don't know if Chiarot returns a 1st but Holden don't have the same resume and playoff success. Same size but Chiarot's skating for his size is not readily available. I honestly don't think a lot of people have even watched Chiarot play in the last two playoffs.

Chiarot has played 23-25 min a game for the Habs for a while now (Regular season and playoffs). He's battle tested in big games. Holden is not. He played 16 min a game for the Knights. Not the same situation but he might return something good.

I'll make a bet that Chiarot returns a fair amount more than Holden? You want to take that bet?

Reactions: SquidNasty

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Didn't Tampa lose their entire very effective 3rd line? Let's see if they win the cup again without it.

And their 3rd line was the difference maker against MTL we didnt have a good 3rd pair on defense to box them out and they were just flying on the ice against us. I don't think they win without them

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
We don't know if Chiarot returns a 1st but Holden don't have the same resume and playoff success. Same size but Chiarot's skating for his size is not readily available. I honestly don't think a lot of people have even watched Chiarot play in the last two playoffs.

Chiarot has played 23-25 min a game for the Habs for a while now (Regular season and playoffs). He's battle tested in big games. Holden is not. He played 16 min a game for the Knights. Not the same situation but he might return something good.

I'll make a bet that Chiarot returns a fair amount more than Holden? You want to take that bet?
Holden also re-signed with Ottawa for another year. He's ours folks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Holden also re-signed with Ottawa for another year. He's ours folks.

Sorry, I was not aware of that. Assumed he was a pending UFA. He's solid but don't have the same value as Chiarot IMO. Chiarot's value to me is the skating he has for his size. I don't think people understand what kind of player he is really.

Anyways... carry on with the past trade.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Holden is a very good skater, same level as Chiarot, he's just nowhere near as physical or imposing as Chiarot.

Either way, the question is completely irrelevant because, while you are right that Chiarot would return more than Holden and I agree that Chiarot & his ability to play tough playoff minutes gets underrated, Holden just re-signed at $1.3m for next season so there is no chance he's traded. He could have significant value next deadline, but hopefully at that point it's a no-brainer for us to hold onto him because we will be preparing for a playoff battle of our own.

I see someone else pointed this out to you but I guess my post is still relevant because I'm agreeing with you about Chiarot :)

And their 3rd line was the difference maker against MTL we didnt have a good 3rd pair on defense to box them out and they were just flying on the ice against us. I don't think they win without them

You must be an Isles fan ;)

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Supposedly they were going to have to lose two of Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak in the 2020 offseason. Then Kucherov got "injured" and suddenly they were able to keep all three and win a cup.

Then there was supposedly going to be a comeuppance in 2021, but they traded Tyler Johnson, a negative value contract, and a 2nd round pick for Brent Seabrook's exempt contract.

2/3 of the third line was rentals, they lost Gourde in the expansion draft. You don't need to win a cup three years in a row to prove that your circumvention worked.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Thats what made this a good thread to bump and why initially i went into it because Dadonov is a bad contract that needs to go and i was surprised that the Sens would reacquire him..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Holden is a very good skater, he's just nowhere near as physical as Chiarot.

Either way, the question is completely irrelevant because, while you are right that Chiarot would return more than Holden and I agree that Chiarot & his ability to play tough playoff minutes gets underrated, Holden just re-signed at $1.3m for next season so there is no chance he's traded. He could have significant value next deadline, but hopefully at that point it's a no-brainer for us to hold onto him because we will be preparing for a playoff battle of our own.

I'll be honest, I have not watched Holden enough to have a very good indication. Seem some sample but not a tremendous amount. I would not doubt he skating is solid but I would take a blind bet that it's not on par with Chiarot. Chiarot's ability to close gaps and neutralize with his size is not something that is readily available. And I don't know if he gets a 1st or not. My price was always two 2nd's.

I did see a fair amount from Holden in last year's playoffs when the Habs faced the Knights. But he's just not as battle tested in the top 4D narrative as Chiarot is. 16-19 min a game vs 23-25 min a game (both playoffs and regular season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad