Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
You sure as hell didn’t seem to have any concerns a month ago. How’s it goin down there?

My concerns were always the coaching staff and his garbage system, sure I never made my concerns public thinking with the changes made there shouldn't be cause for alarm, yes I was wrong. The organization has hit rock bottom and still sinking .

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Does Sanford even try?
was gonna ask some Sens fans how he's doing, but didn't know a good way to post on their board without coming across as a troll

I'm assuming it's not working out too well? if so, not real surprising. he kinda is who he is at this point.
a big guy that doesn't use his size
decent hands but doesn't end up resulting on the score sheet as much as he should
no motor whatsoever
a passenger as a player..if he's not on a line with someone REALLY talented, you might not even notice him all game

that being said, at least with STL, he'll have a great 2ish week span where he's very good.. then back to being Sanford. it's maddening

and honestly don't miss him a bit

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
was gonna ask some Sens fans how he's doing, but didn't know a good way to post on their board without coming across as a troll

I'm assuming it's not working out too well? if so, not real surprising. he kinda is who he is at this point.
a big guy that doesn't use his size
decent hands but doesn't end up resulting on the score sheet as much as he should
no motor whatsoever
a passenger as a player..if he's not on a line with someone REALLY talented, you might not even notice him all game

that being said, at least with STL, he'll have a great 2ish week span where he's very good.. then back to being Sanford. it's maddening

and honestly don't miss him a bit
he didnt disappoint, because my expectations were VERY low for a 4th liner. He's not a bad as the Paquette experiment that we've seen last year but close to it... with that being said I wouldn't be sad if he'd become our #13/14 forwards to give a chance to a prospect

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He gets hate from senator fans but I personally don’t understand why. Not to praise the player because he isn’t necessarily worthy but he isn’t worthy of the criticism either. He does some things well, some things not well but he hasn’t hurt the team and the team has certainly iced worse options this season.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He gets hate from senator fans but I personally don’t understand why. Not to praise the player because he isn’t necessarily worthy but he isn’t worthy of the criticism either. He does some things well, some things not well but he hasn’t hurt the team and the team has certainly iced worse options this season.

Yeah, agreed. He's not very good but he a) barely plays b) came in with almost no expectations and c) has been our best 4th liner this season (low bar). Mediocre player but I have no gripes, personally. Hope we can trade him for a 4th at the deadline.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
he didnt disappoint, because my expectations were VERY low for a 4th liner. He's not a bad as the Paquette experiment that we've seen last year but close to it... with that being said I wouldn't be sad if he'd become our #13/14 forwards to give a chance to a prospect
the problem there is, playing down in the lineup he becomes even less effective. again, he's not "horrible" but ya see the once in a while good things and ya scratch your head

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think the "hate" is seeing the tools, and realizing there's no toolbox

and if there's hate now, wait till he dishes out a few 'dzone breakout passes to the other team in the slot" lol

he's good for a few of those a season

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You summed it up perfectly. Sanford is what he is, and he pretty much has plateaued at his ceiling, except for the magical two weeks stretch every season where you convince yourself things have finally clicked and he's going to take off. You just hope and pray that the two weeks coincide with the playoffs.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Good to see neither team really got a lot out of the trade. It was a cap dump from the Blues perspective and Ottawa knew that Brown is a soft player who doesn’t like contact.

I agree with the poster who said Sanford needs to be up in the line up to be effective. He is a passenger on a line not a driver. Being the best 4th liner likely means he isn’t going to procure anything. He may benefit from playing in the top 6 and needs to to produce. I think his skating holds him back a bit.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Brown with 6 points (3G, 3A) in 8 games.

Couldn't be happier for him as a sens fan. Hope he meets his potential and can carve out a solid career. It wasn't happening in Ottawa.

I don't think we feel any loss with Brown because most of us had already written him off entirely.

Sanford appeared to have no soul for the first stretch of games but I've grown a little fond of him since then. I think the Gambrell acquisition helped possibly. Neither are stellar but both have played a pretty solid role in the bottom 6.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Brown with 6 points (3G, 3A) in 8 games.
Good for him but I'll defend the trade by saying some players need a change in order to thrive. The Ottawa system did not work for Brown but, for whatever reason, St. Louis' did.

Besides, he can live with his parents in St. Louis while drawing an NHL salary.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
I was looking at Sanford's stats earlier, and I was just jaw dropped. He has 1 assist this season in 27 games. Every time I see him, he's playing with Ottawa's best players... He had 6 assists last season in 52 games and was notorious for making every line he was on worse/fail.

Now, it seems like every time I see Sanford, it's him trying to start something, just to instantly get pummeled. Every fight he is in looks like a tiny child vs a NHL heavyweight goon.

I really don't know why he's in the NHL. There has to be better players out there. If not, the league definitely shouldn't be expanding.

But again, to harken back... how on earth do you only manage to have 1 assist given circumstances by this time in the season? The Senators goalie has 1 assist on the year. There are two goalies with 4 assists... Like bro, come on.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
His production should be surprising to absolutely nobody.

Shouldn't it be? He didn't have a particularly good pre-season/start with St. Louis. He couldn't crack the Senators lineup.

I think at this stage of his career being a regular NHLer would surprise a lot of people.

Good for him, though, he has the talent to make it. I'd like to see his numbers by the end of the season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Shouldn't it be? He didn't have a particularly good pre-season/start with St. Louis. He couldn't crack the Senators lineup.

I think at this stage of his career being a regular NHLer would surprise a lot of people.

Good for him, though, he has the talent to make it. I'd like to see his numbers by the end of the season.

Team's miss the mark on player evaluations all the time. In this case, it was quite obvious (at least to me) that he's ready to contribute as a top 6 player in the NHL.

In this case I believe coaches thought they were seeing a lazy player, when they were really seeing a 6'7 kid with longer strides. It's easy to look like you're skating hard when you're 5'11.

That's not to say he doesn't have bad habits at times, he can definitely get caught floating, but not any more so than other similarly skilled players.

Hopefully he keeps getting the opportunity to prove how good he can be.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I was looking at Sanford's stats earlier, and I was just jaw dropped. He has 1 assist this season in 27 games. Every time I see him, he's playing with Ottawa's best players... He had 6 assists last season in 52 games and was notorious for making every line he was on worse/fail.

Now, it seems like every time I see Sanford, it's him trying to start something, just to instantly get pummeled. Every fight he is in looks like a tiny child vs a NHL heavyweight goon.

I really don't know why he's in the NHL. There has to be better players out there. If not, the league definitely shouldn't be expanding.

But again, to harken back... how on earth do you only manage to have 1 assist given circumstances by this time in the season? The Senators goalie has 1 assist on the year. There are two goalies with 4 assists... Like bro, come on.
Sanford doesn't play with the best players at all. He played like 2 or 3 games on the top line with Tkachuk and Norris, but aside from that he's played in the bottom 6, currently on a line with Ottawa's worst player (Chris Tierney).

Sanford is stop-gap player for Ottawa, in fact he'll probably be traded at the deadline. He will be bumped out by someone like Grieg, Sokolov, or Crookshank next year.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
Sanford doesn't play with the best players at all. He played like 2 or 3 games on the top line with Tkachuk and Norris, but aside from that he's played in the bottom 6, currently on a line with Ottawa's worst player (Chris Tierney).

Sanford is stop-gap player for Ottawa, in fact he'll probably be traded at the deadline. He will be bumped out by someone like Grieg, Sokolov, or Crookshank next year.

With the Blues, last season, he played on the first line a ton. It was incredibly maddening. There was an obsession with playing him on the first line. So, he's definitely been given every chance to inflate his stats, and... he's basically the most incompetent team player of all-time or something. The kinda guy who gets beat up by his own teammates in practice...

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021

Sanford's problem was consistency and effort. He would either score four goals in one game, or make a key turnover in the final minute. And he was nearly always playing with ROR and Perron, so he had far more chances than he deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad