Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
With the Blues, last season, he played on the first line a ton. It was incredibly maddening. There was an obsession with playing him on the first line. So, he's definitely been given every chance to inflate his stats, and... he's basically the most incompetent team player of all-time or something. The kinda guy who gets beat up by his own teammates in practice...
And the kinda guy who pukes before the parade even starts!

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Clearing waivers may have been a wake up call for Brown. Looking pretty good since being called up. How’s Sanford been for the Sens?

Reactions: Blueston

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Bro, tell me this actually happened?

honestly Sandford hasn’t been to bad for the Sens, but he’s they type of guy you trade a 3rd round pick for, not a good prospect.
It happened in the car right before the parade. Driver looked like he got hit as well.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Bro, tell me this actually happened?

honestly Sandford hasn’t been to bad for the Sens, but he’s they type of guy you trade a 3rd round pick for, not a good prospect.

I am not sure there was much interest in Brown prior to the trade, Hell, he had to c,ear waivers to be sent down. Looks like he finally decided to engage physically and stop being a peripheral player. He is really using his body well.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Brown has been pretty good. I don’t see him being more than a bottom 6 player with a healthy roster.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
As I said in another thread.

One game that Sanford play’s you’ll be saying to yourself “I can’t believe we got this guy for Logan Brown!”

Very next game you’ll be saying “I can’t believe we got this guy for Logan Brown….”
sadly, it'll be the second line you say more often

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
As I said in another thread.

One game that Sanford play’s you’ll be saying to yourself “I can’t believe we got this guy for Logan Brown!”

Very next game you’ll be saying “I can’t believe we got this guy for Logan Brown….”

1 games out of 10 you think you have a decent bottom 6 guy. The rest of the time he looks like an AHLer.

Similar level to a Clarke Bishop. Can play if you don't have anything better but will be out of the league soon. Also reminds me a bit of a less intense Viktor Stalberg.

Reactions: NB613

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Couldn't be happier for him as a sens fan. Hope he meets his potential and can carve out a solid career. It wasn't happening in Ottawa.

I don't think we feel any loss with Brown because most of us had already written him off entirely.

Sanford appeared to have no soul for the first stretch of games but I've grown a little fond of him since then. I think the Gambrell acquisition helped possibly. Neither are stellar but both have played a pretty solid role in the bottom 6.

Same thoughts as mine.

Logan passed through waivers - literally every team in the NHL had the opportunity to add him for free. He needed a wake up call, quite apparently.

I wish he got more of a chance on the Sens - but the cold hard truth is that Logan couldnt stay healthy to save his own (hockey) life. Literally. Every time a golden opportunity presented itself for him in the big leagues - he was either on the IR himself already, or just recently came off it and was no where near up to the proper speed/pace/timing yet.....

Think about this number - he was drafted 5 seasons ago now in 2016. In those 5 years since being drafted, Logan Brown has only played a combined total of 191 games!!!

Thats a painfully low number for a big raw prospect like Logan is/was. Hes essentially been a giant mysetery box for his entire pro career - heck he still is exactly that today. He could still basically be anything in between a star and a total bust.

Last edited:

STEVIE RAY BLUES

Jul 5, 2009
The Brown/Sanford trade is interesting and really can't be evaluated yet. To early. My initial response was that the Blues got fleeced as I was not a fan of Brown because he just looked like a little kid scared to get hit. I was even more disappointed because I watched his old man play and Jeff Brown was not a punk. I just shook my head and thought we must have been dumping salary. Since he came to town I think his old man and the coach basically told him man up or get used to bus rides to the middle of nowhere. I think they lit a fire under his ass and right now he is playing like his career depends on it. The question is can he keep that up? If he does the Blues run away with this trade. If not well it was a salary dump. Sanford is a JAG player.

Reactions: southsider

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
If Brown can ever find NHL pace and intensity, its a win for the Blues. I doubt that ever happens though. Doesn't seem very motivated.

pretty meh trade all in all

Sums it up well. Watching him play in Windsor, I thought he was a big talent but he just never had any intensity to his game. Reminds me a lot of Riley Sheahan who’s managed to stick around the league somehow.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Sums it up well. Watching him play in Windsor, I thought he was a big talent but he just never had any intensity to his game. Reminds me a lot of Riley Sheahan who’s managed to stick around the league somehow.

If he keeps using his size to box people out of the paint, he’s gonna earn the right to do the east-west setup-man stuff he likes to do. He’s been doing a lot more of that lately, which is awesome bc it’s something the Blues have lacked since letting Patty Maroon walk after the cup.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
The biggest issue was Brown was injuries keeping him in the NHL before he recovered and went back for reconditioning. He doesn't pass 60 games a season. He was never a bad prospect, just injury prone. Given his hot streak it's just a matter of time. Just look at his hockey db profile for games played

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The Brown/Sanford trade is interesting and really can't be evaluated yet. To early. My initial response was that the Blues got fleeced as I was not a fan of Brown because he just looked like a little kid scared to get hit. I was even more disappointed because I watched his old man play and Jeff Brown was not a punk. I just shook my head and thought we must have been dumping salary. Since he came to town I think his old man and the coach basically told him man up or get used to bus rides to the middle of nowhere. I think they lit a fire under his ass and right now he is playing like his career depends on it. The question is can he keep that up? If he does the Blues run away with this trade. If not well it was a salary dump. Sanford is a JAG player.
I can’t see how the Blues got fleeced regardless of what Brown becomes. Personally, I think he’ll be bumped out of the lineup shortly when healthy players return. I think he;s one game shy of becoming waivers eligible again, so maybe they’ll send him down again.

But the point of moving Sanford was to create cap space. That was the most important asset in the trade, the cap room. The pick will be nice, but it’s in a range where getting an NHL contributor is unlikely.

I’m happy that Brown had some good games, but the combination of injuries and Covid that created this opportunity is pretty extreme. It’s not like he’s forcing his way past anyone who had a starting roster spot. Hopefully he’ll decide what kind of player he needs to be and mold himself into a guy that can fight for a roster spot next training camp. I think he’s a Black Aces guy this year.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
I can’t see how the Blues got fleeced regardless of what Brown becomes. Personally, I think he’ll be bumped out of the lineup shortly when healthy players return. I think he;s one game shy of becoming waivers eligible again, so maybe they’ll send him down again.

But the point of moving Sanford was to create cap space. That was the most important asset in the trade, the cap room. The pick will be nice, but it’s in a range where getting an NHL contributor is unlikely.

I’m happy that Brown had some good games, but the combination of injuries and Covid that created this opportunity is pretty extreme. It’s not like he’s forcing his way past anyone who had a starting roster spot. Hopefully he’ll decide what kind of player he needs to be and mold himself into a guy that can fight for a roster spot next training camp. I think he’s a Black Aces guy this year.

There are 5 players going for that final spot in the lineup right now. Brown, Walker, Neal, Joshua, and Kostin. I think Brown has looked the best out of those 5 so he has a pretty good chance to stay on the roster.

(FYI the other 11 are Buch, Barbashev, Tarasenko, Saad, RoR, Perron, Schenn, Kyrou, Thomas, Sundqvust, Bozak.)

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There are 5 players going for that final spot in the lineup right now. Brown, Walker, Neal, Joshua, and Kostin. I think Brown has looked the best out of those 5 so he has a pretty good chance to stay on the roster.

(FYI the other 11 are Buch, Barbashev, Tarasenko, Saad, RoR, Perron, Schenn, Kyrou, Thomas, Sundqvust, Bozak.)
Kostin beat him out of camp, and I don't think anything has changed that if they're both healthy. Walker, Neal and Joshua are all significantly behind. Brown has certainly improved his standing with the team since training camp, but the problem is that neither he nor Kostin are well served by being a spare forward. Apparently Kostin was already called back from his AHL conditioning stint. It may be that Neal is the odd man out, but it makes more sense to have a vet on the minimum contract as the healthy scratch than either Brown or Kostin.

I could see Brown sent down while he's still waiver exempt, but with a good chance of being called back permanently closer to the trade deadline. Schenn's return is unclear, so maybe there is another roster spot to fill for longer than we realize.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Kostin beat him out of camp, and I don't think anything has changed that if they're both healthy. Walker, Neal and Joshua are all significantly behind. Brown has certainly improved his standing with the team since training camp, but the problem is that neither he nor Kostin are well served by being a spare forward. Apparently Kostin was already called back from his AHL conditioning stint. It may be that Neal is the odd man out, but it makes more sense to have a vet on the minimum contract as the healthy scratch than either Brown or Kostin.

I could see Brown sent down while he's still waiver exempt, but with a good chance of being called back permanently closer to the trade deadline. Schenn's return is unclear, so maybe there is another roster spot to fill for longer than we realize.
Brown is no longer waiver exempt. He's here to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00