Confirmed Buy-Out [OTT] Senators buy-out F Colin White

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Wait if you're bought out, you don't get the balance of your contract $4.75M x 3)? Thought that was the whole point of "buying out" i.e. pay off the contract to free up cap space

I was just searching myself and it seems that way. Since he's under 25 they only pay 1/3rd, and that impacts cash owed too.

"While the Senators will be paying White $875,000 in each of the next six seasons, they still walk away from this deal by spending only $5.25 million — a far cry from the $15.75 million they owed him in real dollars."

Source: Signing Colin White was symbolic. A few years later, he's leaving town

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Wait if you're bought out, you don't get the balance of your contract $4.75M x 3)? Thought that was the whole point of "buying out" i.e. pay off the contract to free up cap space
Nope, it’s an implicit option of all standard contracts - the team always has the option of paying

For players over 25, 2/3 of the remaining value of the contract, paid out over twice the remaining term.

For players 25 and under, 1/3 of the remaining value of the contract, paid out over twice the remaining term.

This does make him a free agent though, and able to make more money actually playing in addition to the buyout bucks.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Depends on your age 25 , under you get 1/3 of the balance and that third is payed out over twice the remaining term , he had 3 x $4.75M remaining so that got split over 6 years at 875K and that's the cap hit as well . The team is saving $3.9M per year in cap hit thats the advantage but he will be on the books for 6 years instead of 3 , that's the disadvantage . Some of the over 25 buyouts the team saves the full hit the first year and the eats the reduced hit over the term , over 25 buyouts are at 2/3 of remaining salary but count for 2/3 of the AAV, some buyouts save the team almost nothing hence the term "buyout proof contract" it depends on the structure of the original deal .

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would love him on the Avs for less than 1.5 millx2. Maybe not another nuke but perhaps he can take over for JT compher after next year.

Yes Montréal will be in for White.
But it's a typical move normally made by Joe Sakic
(Nichushkin, Yakupov, Grigorenko etc)

He can be on Colorado's 3rd line.

Do you guys think White has the skating ability to play on the Avs?

I agree it seems like the sort of under-the-radar reclamation Sakic would make. I doubt he'd do more than one year at a very low caphit though since Avs can't afford to take risks with caproom ahead of 2023 raises to MacKinnon, Byram, Newhook, and Meyers.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Do you guys think White has the skating ability to play on the Avs?

I agree it seems like the sort of under-the-radar reclamation Sakic would make. I doubt he'd do more than one year at a very low caphit though since Avs can't afford to take risks with caproom ahead of 2023 raises to MacKinnon, Byram, Newhook, and Meyers.
As a neutral fan : Newhook is not ready to handle 2C and he won‘t play 4C right ? Would a White signing be bad for Newhook‘s development and would he really be an improvement over Newhook ?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
As a neutral fan : Newhook is not ready to handle 2C and he won‘t play 4C right ? Would a White signing be bad for Newhook‘s development and would he really be an improvement over Newhook ?
If signed, White would probably have little if any bearing on Newhook's development. He's probably slot in at 3RW and Newhook would stay at 3LW:

Lamdeskog - MacKinnon - Nichuskin*
Lehkonen ---------- 2C --------- Rantanen
Newhook ------ Compher ---- xxxxx
Cogliano -------- Meyers ------ O'Connor

That said, there's a chance the Avs view Meyers as more than a 4C and slot him on the 3rd line, in which case signing a 3RW (whether White or anyone else) could free up Newhook for a 2C trade.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
If signed, White would probably have little if any bearing on Newhook's development. He's probably slot in at 3RW and Newhook would stay at 3LW:

Lamdeskog - MacKinnon - Nichuskin*
Lehkonen ---------- 2C --------- Rantanen
Newhook ------ Compher ---- xxxxx
Cogliano -------- Meyers ------ O'Connor

That said, there's a chance the Avs view Meyers as more than a 4C and slot him on the 3rd line, in which case signing a 3RW (whether White or anyone else) could free up Newhook for a 2C trade.
Interesting, I would have thought the Avs would have tried to trade Compher and give Newhook the 3C position so that in 2/3 year he could be the 2C. Thanks for the detailed answer !

So you could see Newhook in a Trade for a 2C ? What would be the targets in your mind ?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Interesting, I would have thought the Avs would have tried to trade Compher and give Newhook the 3C position so that in 2/3 year he could be the 2C. Thanks for the detailed answer !

So you could see Newhook in a Trade for a 2C ? What would be the targets in your mind ?

Newhook got opportunities at center this season but he ended up exclusively on the wing in the second half of the season, and Colorado also went out and acquired center depth at the deadline (i.e. Sturm), which indicates that they view him more as a winger now.

He's still only a rookie so he might take steps to being a center in the future, but with the Avs being contenders they will need to fill the 2C spot this season one way or another, and Newhook, 2023 1st, and Girard are their best trade chips to accomplish that.

Ideal target would be Horvat (if not signed by Vancouver this week). Alternatively JT Miller or maybe Gourde if he's available. Maybe Bennett, though I think Florida would want Girard.

Hopefully they manage to sign Copp or Trocheck though, so they can keep their assets and players.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad