Confirmed Buy-Out [OTT] Senators buy-out F Colin White

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I am shocked. Shocked I tell you!!!
So what exactly made Colin White go from being 6 year deal worthy to buy out worthy at 25?
He didnt live up to his contract. They thought he was going to be a top 6, he hasnt been. By buying him out now, it only costs $875,000 per year for 6 years vs $15,750,000 that would be owed in real dollars over the next 3 years.

Ashrum

Sep 22, 2006
So what exactly made Colin White go from being 6 year deal worthy to buy out worthy at 25?
He was paid on potential and with injuries and production levels he didn't live up to that contract. He is an awesome player but not worth the contract he signed so this was the best option for the sens.

I will miss him here and hope he can be signed later, great player just not a star.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The deal was always a bit risky, and was actually an important one regardless of how it went: it was the first big commitment between team and player since... Karlsson's 2nd contract, I think??

Since then, Chabot, Batherson, and Tkachuk have followed suit.

On top of that, injuries really killed any momentum he had. Just when he got back in a rhythm, he would get hurt again. Hasn't been able to add the strength he's needed, and has been passed by other guys who need to get paid.

I think if you roll the dice 100 times, there are probably 30 times where things end up pretty decently. And I do still think White has the chance to become a good player. But he needs a fresh start and I am glad that he will get one.
Another great signing by the sens
Man oh man what a charmed, fulfilling existence you must live

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
Amazing move for the Sens, White has zero offensive ability and has a slightly above average defensive game, an absolute albatross for 4.75m for another 3 years.

This shows the Sens are looking to win, they gained I believe a net 3.8m a year in cap savings which can be used for an upgrade for whoever replaces him.

People always say, "but he's well liked in the dressing room!1!1!1!1!", as good friends as he is with Brady and Chabby, they definitely know that having him on the team at 4.75m is holding them back. Great move for the Sens, an absolute horrible draft pick and at least they know when to cut their losses.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Whatever team lands White they’re going to love him - he is great in the locker room, great guy to help gel the team together. He will fit nicely on a teams 3rd line. The 1/3 buyout was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. He is definitely still an NHLer.

Pittsburgh, Boston, New York seem like interesting candidates

Reactions: dumbdick

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Amazing move for the Sens, White has zero offensive ability and has a slightly above average defensive game, an absolute albatross for 4.75m for another 3 years.

This shows the Sens are looking to win, they gained I believe a net 3.8m a year in cap savings which can be used for an upgrade for whoever replaces him.

People always say, "but he's well liked in the dressing room!1!1!1!1!", as good friends as he is with Brady and Chabby, they definitely know that having him on the team at 4.75m is holding them back. Great move for the Sens, an absolute horrible draft pick and at least they know when to cut their losses.
If White was being paid 2.75 instead of 4.75 - that's an easy contract to move. He is still a solid NHLer. Just a little overpaid and a buyout opportunity too good to pass up came along.

Reactions: dumbdick and bert

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Colin White was like a super expensive Tyson Jost.

Both are incredibly vanilla/mediocre players at this point, good enough to play regularly while always leaving you longing for an upgrade or more impactful presence. With a pedigree that leaves you hoping for a “level up” that at this point is simply not likely to come.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
White is a solid player at 2 to 2.5 million. The sens gambled and locked him up because he has the potential to be very good and still does. Only reason for this move is the one third buyout now instead of two thirds buyout later. I'm a leaf fan as well so no bias here in favor of Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad