Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Matt Murray signs extension (4 years, $6.25M AAV)

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Yeah, that guy has two Stanley cup rings. Clearly he’s worthless.

tenor.gif

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
This could wind up like the Ryan contract 2.0.

Ottawa very possibly has the worst pro scouting in the league.

But whatever, not like we're strapped for cap space! Here's hoping for the best!

Reactions: Critical91

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Classic Sens backdiving deal makes me think he could be gone by that 4th year.

Either way, the Sens have so much cap space Over the next few years that I’m happy to keep the term at 4 years, even though it’s probably ~$1 million too much per season
Yeah seems like a gamble. Gotta spend money to reach the cap floor. In 4 years the rookies will be off elc and bridge deals, can easily retain and dump him for the last year or so.

if he rebounds it’s an upgrade in net. It looks like he was only poo last year.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Murray has ups and downs with consistency and has been battling injuries. He gets more flack than he should because he's a slow starter, but picks it up in the latter half and playoffs. He's often caught repeatedly bailing out the Pens in losing efforts, which of course go unrecognized to people not watching him play.

He's 26, and while goaltending can be fickle, you still need a solid and proven goalie. Murray has been a top goalie before, played like it recently, and played 3 play-in games with a .914sv% behind pylons like Johnson and Schultz and an oft-brain farting Letang.

His durability over an annually ~60 game workload is the biggest question and personally my only glaring concern about this deal. Ottawa needed a starter and got one. Play it out and see how it goes now.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Good for MM for getting paid , i didn’t think he would haul in that kind of dough,rings or no rings.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Why pay for him when you can have a team pay you to take Dubnyk, Koskinen, Jones, Raanta etc. It's not like they're contending in the next couple years

Reactions: hn777

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

He's laughing because your original comment about signing Duclair over murray is ridiculous.

Duclair was streaky and couldn't score to save his life for the better half of last season.

Murray is a 2 time cup winner and is only 26. Guy lost his father and had struggles last year. He'll rebound in ottawa.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's laughing because your original comment about signing Duclair over murray is ridiculous.

Duclair was streaky and couldn't score to save his life for the better half of last season.

Murray is a 2 time cup winner and is only 26. Guy lost his father and had struggles last year. He'll rebound in ottawa.

Duclair is an inconsitant but talented young player. Given the right opportunity, he'll find success.

Murray is inconsitant as hell. He's a good goalie. But not a 6,25M$ per year good goalie. More like a 4M$ at best / per year good goalie.
I just find weird that Melnyk would overpay for Murray, but not even qualify for Duclair. It's a total non-sense to me.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Yeah, that guy has two Stanley cup rings. Clearly he’s worthless.
He is not worthless. And I’m a Pens fan and was a Murray fan. He was never my whipping boy. I trashed him a game or two here or there as any fan dogs on their goalie when they lay a turd. But 6.5 for him is a bit rich. Won’t dog it or him, I hope he does well... except for when he plays the Pens. :laugh: But Cups aside that is a bit much for a back sliding goalie over the past few years. Maybe he needs a change after his dad died or something else. But that is an eyebrow raising contact. I do wish Murray the best though and gladly thank him for the two cups in Pittsburgh.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah ,unless we can find someone to score and defend ,this deal makes no sense
We will literally do just that. We have a truckload of talented prospects coming up who will need to learn the nuances and clearly Ottawa felt they needed a goaltender to bridge them from now to when they start to compete. Hopefully Murray's that guy.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad