Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Matt Murray signs extension (4 years, $6.25M AAV)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Cheap owner, I kind of feel sorry for the Sens. He spends the $$$ and gets this type of performance. Sad. :help:

If I were Melnyk, I'd be so pissed at Dorion for this offseason.

Yah, obviously the team was gonna suck. It's a rebuild. But why do I have to pay Murray 6.25 million for the privilege of getting shelled every night?

LOL. Dorion couldn't have just signed any random 1B goalie at $1.5 mil to let in 5 goals a night?

Then you look at the fact that they went out and paid Gudbranson $4 million to swim around in his own zone...it's hilarious. Dorion literally couldn't have just paid someone like Oscar Fantenberg $1 mil to accomplish the same thing?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah the defense and goaltending have been bad ,the kids up front are learning a we have seen some good things...But until we stabilise the latter we are a lottery team

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What goalie would look average or good on Ottawa?

The expected save% of an average goalie on Ottawa this year is a .903 (27.62 goals against on 284 shots), according to naturalstatrick. So it would still be a bad save% because the Senators have been really bad defensively, but not even close to as bad as the numbers Murray has put up.

Reactions: BHD and topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The expected save% of an average goalie on Ottawa this year is a .903 (27.62 goals against on 284 shots), according to naturalstatrick. So it would still be a bad save% because the Senators have been really bad defensively, but not even close to as bad as the numbers Murray has put up.
He has been bad there is no hiding this...The team has deserved to have more than one win,but both our goaltenders have failed terribly

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The philosophy behind acquiring him was always flawed...

Worst case scenario, the Sens tie up valuable funds long term on a goaltender who is among the worst in the league

Best case scenario, he comes in and plays like an all-star, and the rebuilding Sens wind up with a 1st rd pick near the end of the lottery

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Who knows ? It could be a brilliant master plan where they tank for three more years . Three more lottery picks . One stud centreman and a franchise defenseman to add to their impressive youngsters . Trade Stephan , anisomov , galchenyuk for picks . Two more years of signing and trading . They just have to be patient

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

Yah, obviously the team was gonna suck. It's a rebuild. But why do I have to pay Murray 6.25 million for the privilege of getting shelled every night?

LOL. Dorion couldn't have just signed any random 1B goalie at $1.5 mil to let in 5 goals a night?

Then you look at the fact that they went out and paid Gudbranson $4 million to swim around in his own zone...it's hilarious. Dorion literally couldn't have just paid someone like Oscar Fantenberg $1 mil to accomplish the same thing?
I have a feeling melnyk is just as much to blame considering he would have okayed the deal . If melnyk is half as tight as they say he is , dorion doesn’t sign 25 million dollar deals on his own

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

He's underperformed, but not to the extent that those stats indicate. I suspect they are overstating expected save % by a non-insignificant degree.

That said, I never would have committed to him long-term. Was fine, but not thrilled, with the trade.... didn't like the signing from day 1.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its too bad we cant have somewhat of a solid defense and goaltending ...Because the kids at forward are actually looking decent...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Its too bad we cant have somewhat of a solid defense and goaltending ...Because the kids at forward are actually looking decent...

Our first line has looked good, as has our first D pairing. Almost no one else, though.

Stutzle has shown amazing flashes, but he's still a net negative most of the time on the ice (not a critique - just standard growing pains).

The good vets - Tierney, C. Brown, Dadonov - have all struggled to create offense, and have all struggled, to varying degrees, to prevent it.

Paul has been arguably our best forward, and certainly our best besides the top line, but he's more of a good 3rd liner than anything, and he has been riding an unsustainable on-ice shooting percentage.

Our special teams are atrocious and we've given up some ridiculous chances, while also running around defensively to a point where the "50/50" bounces are bound to go against us to an overwhelming degree.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Our first line has looked good, as has our first D pairing. Almost no one else, though.

Stutzle has shown amazing flashes, but he's still a net negative most of the time on the ice (not a critique - just standard growing pains).

The good vets - Tierney, C. Brown, Dadonov - have all struggled to create offense, and have all struggled, to varying degrees, to prevent it.

Paul has been arguably our best forward, and certainly our best besides the top line, but he's more of a good 3rd liner than anything, and he has been riding an unsustainable on-ice shooting percentage.

Our special teams are atrocious and we've given up some ridiculous chances, while also running around defensively to a point where the "50/50" bounces are bound to go against us to an overwhelming degree.
I just feel there is much more to work with up front...The D and goaltending have been a black hole....

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I just feel there is much more to work with up front...The D and goaltending have been a black hole....

Yeah, agreed. I think goaltending can get to a league average point... both goalies can be better than they've shown... the D has very little to work with, though. Chabot and Zaitsev have been good, Gudbranson could be passable in a sheltered, bottom pair role... Zub has some promise... Brannstrom needs to get in there... but, after that, pretty much just a big bowl of hopes and dreams.

Reactions: topshelf15

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Not sure who has been worse, murray or Jarry.... pens weren't coming out of that one ahead at all.... I didn't expect murray to sloves Ottawa's issues but alwast provide somewhat stable goaltending. That was a good signing at the time and a horrible signing now by Ottawa

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Murray has been bad, except for the first game against the leafs. Some of the goals haven't been his fault, however he is trending in the wrong direction. I don't feel as good about this signing as I did in the earlier. He may still find his form but it ain't looking good. As bad is his back up, Hogberg, has been a tire fire as well

Reactions: topshelf15

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Gudbranson should be sharing some of this blame. Nobody would look good playing with this goof playing in front of them. GMs need to realize this guy is 100% not built for the modern NHL. It isn't 2002 anymore.

Reactions: SenSaddest

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
People need to see watch the games to see whats happening , the defence are leaving both goalies out to dry, murrays stats will get better once ottawa fixes their defensive zone woes

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's laughable that people are calling this the worst contract in the league after SEVEN games. He's not exactly in the greatest of positions to have success as a goalie. Either way, if Murray bounces back it wouldn't be the first or last time a good goalie had a horrific start to a season and then turned things around.

Reactions: Giskard

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba

Not sure if your aware, but theres a cap floor that every team must reach. With all the Sens ELC contracts still in place they needed to spend some money. Not saying they spent it wisely, but on a team with no superstars getting the big bucks they had to pay someone

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not sure if your aware, but theres a cap floor that every team must reach. With all the Sens ELC contracts still in place they needed to spend some money. Not saying they spent it wisely, but on a team with no superstars getting the big bucks they had to pay someone

No need to be condescending. I am aware there is a cap floor.

With a current cap charge of ~$72 million per Capfriendly, the Sens are ~$10 million over the cap floor. Maybe you weren't aware of that?

They really didn't need to spend $6.25 on Matt Murray (for 4 years!) to act like a sieve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad