Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Matt Murray signs extension (4 years, $6.25M AAV)

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Murray is 26, and has a long pedigree. A bad season or two is not going to change that.

I wonder why? How many poor seasons does a goalie need before faith is lost?
I guess I just look at Pittsburgh when they won those two cups and I remember how awesome defensively they were. I saw L.A grind the game down for their cup wins. But Pittsburgh just never seemed to give up a an odd man rush ever. The forwards were absolute animals on the back check.
I think Murray gets too much credit for those cup wins. Just my opinion.

That being said every time he plays the Oilers he looks amazing so maybe I'm wrong haha

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I guess I just look at Pittsburgh when they won those two cups and I remember how awesome defensively they were. I saw L.A grind the game down for their cup wins. But Pittsburgh just never seemed to give up a an odd man rush ever. The forwards were absolute animals on the back check.

That being said every time he plays the Oilers he looks amazing so maybe I'm wrong haha

Murray has one poor season(his dad died), one average season(multiple concussions) and two great seasons. And a god-tier AHL season before that. That's amazing for a 26yr old.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't like this contract, but I prefer it to Markstrom by a country mile. Holtby was never signing with us and even if he did, two years wasn't going to be enough anyway, so it is kind of a moot point.

For the first two years, Murray isn't more expensive than Holty anyway (cap hit is higher, but we don't give two f***s about that). The last two years are potentially problematic, but apparently there is no signing bonuses. He's also quite a bit younger.

If he sucks immediately, it would be 18M for one seasons. If he sucks after two years, it would be 10M per season for 2 seasons If he sucks after three years it would mean he averaged 7M a season for 3 years.

That is pretty reasonable if we have to buy him out quickly to avoid problems. The term really helps keep costs down in case of immediate regression. Markstrom meanwhile would be an eye watering 26M if he goes off the rails right away.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I'm guessing this may be part of the reason Melnyk didn't qualify Duclair? To be honest, I'm pretty surprised given the unwillingness to play other stars in the past and Murray's down year. I was expecting a short term bridge after seeing some of the other contracts dealt to goalies earlier in the day.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Of everything the Sens could do, this is where they open the wallet?

For Matt freaking Murray?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

He's had one poor season. How many good seasons does a guy have to have before HF will give him any credit whatsoever?

Murray's career broken down by quality of seasons:
1st year - called up late in the year, was lights out and then great in the playoffs
2nd year - great year, great in his half of the playoffs
3rd year - average year
4th year - good year
5th year - poor year

Seriously, where are people getting this poor seasons (plural) from?

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
He's had one poor season. How many good seasons does a guy have to have before HF will give him any credit whatsoever?

Murray's career broken down by quality of seasons:
1st year - called up late in the year, was lights out and then great in the playoffs
2nd year - great year, great in his half of the playoffs
3rd year - average year
4th year - good year
5th year - poor year

Seriously, where are people getting this poor seasons (plural) from?

3.16 Adjusted GAA is an average year? LOL. -8.11 GSAA is an average year? LMAO

He had the same quality start percentage as you say in his "average" year vs. his poor year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
3.16 Adjusted GAA is an average year? LOL. -8.11 GSAA is an average year? LMAO

He had the same quality start percentage as you say in his "average" year vs. his poor year.

So we're adjusting instead of just looking at what he actually did? And if we're adjusting, why not adjust his 2018-19 season?

Even if you want to call 2017-18 "poor", why are folks ignoring the 2018-19 season as though he's had multiple bad years in a row?

Reactions: domaug

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
So we're adjusting instead of just looking at what he actually did? And if we're adjusting, why not adjust his 2018-19 season?

Even if you want to call 2017-18 "poor", why are folks ignoring the 2018-19 season as though he's had multiple bad years in a row?

I don't care about other years, I'm debating you on the "poor" season being plural. He did have more than one poor season and I showed the black and white numbers. Don't change the narrative from poor seasons, to now consecutive poor seasons.

And adjusting? Oh I guess we shouldn't adjust or look at advanced stats? How about this, let's just look at Wins and Losses to determine the best goalie since the objective is to win the game right? Maybe we should say Wayne Babych > Auston Matthews as a goal scorer because Babych scored 54 goals, I mean why adjust for anything right? Ridiculous...

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
MM was a blue chip prospect, tore it up in the AHL, and tore it up in the NHL until he was 24. He's struggled the last couple of years but I think he can turn it back around with the right goalie coach. He was rock solid as a rookie.

I rather have MM for $6.25m than Markstrom for $6mx6.

Still, as a Pens fan, I'm so glad he didn't get that contract from the Pens.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't care about other years, I'm debating you on the "poor" season being plural. He did have more than one poor season and I showed the black and white numbers. Don't change the narrative from poor seasons, to now consecutive poor seasons.

And adjusting? Oh I guess we shouldn't adjust or look at advanced stats? How about this, let's just look at Wins and Losses to determine the best goalie since the objective is to win the game right? Maybe we should say Wayne Babych > Auston Matthews as a goal scorer because Babych scored 54 goals, I mean why adjust for anything right? Ridiculous...

Because you quoted my post when it was in the midst of disputing this idea that Murray's coming off multiple poor seasons and hasn't been good since his 2017 Cup run (and that poster even didn't think those Cup runs were all that impressive, either). He's coming off one bad season which was preceded by a good season. If we're going to start going beyond the past two seasons, then his 2017-18 season is just as relevant as his 2016-17 season and 2015-16 seasons are.

My point is Murray isn't coming off multiple bad seasons. He's coming off a really bad season this past year, but actually performed like a top 10 starter the year prior.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Overpayment sure but he's a starting goalie, in his prime and carries 2 stanley cups in his pocket. He grew up 3.5 hours west of Ottawa and gets to play close to his home city. This move will pay dividends.

sensrulz

Nov 12, 2009
Meh would have just kept Anderson for another year at 4 mil. as the Sens will be bottom feeders again next season and spend the money on a winger(s) to replace Duclair or just keep Duclair.
If we somehow would have got Laf, more peeps would have come out to the games post Covid but I doubt MM draws fans as I like to see goals scored when I go to a game and not entirely against my team lol

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Meh would have just kept Anderson for another year at 4 mil. as the Sens will be bottom feeders again next season and spend the money on a winger(s) to replace Duclair or just keep Duclair.
If we somehow would have got Laf, more peeps would have come out to the games post Covid but I doubt MM draws fans as I like to see goals scored when I go to a game and not entirely against my team lol

Keeping Anderson is a terrible idea.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Because you quoted my post when it was in the midst of disputing this idea that Murray's coming off multiple poor seasons and hasn't been good since his 2017 Cup run (and that poster even didn't think those Cup runs were all that impressive, either). He's coming off one bad season which was preceded by a good season. If we're going to start going beyond the past two seasons, then his 2017-18 season is just as relevant as his 2016-17 season and 2015-16 seasons are.

My point is Murray isn't coming off multiple bad seasons. He's coming off a really bad season this past year, but actually performed like a top 10 starter the year prior.

Like I said, you stated "Seriously, where are people getting this poor seasons (plural) from?".

And I showed the proof of his multiple bad seasons, I don't care about the other seasons (he had some good/great ones), my main debate point was that he has had poor seasonS (yes plural!).

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Eugene Meknyk had a very good day. With Murray and Gudbranson, he got a $10.25M cap hit that he only has to pay $7M. What could be better than that?

ericstrat1

Oct 29, 2010
OTT hoping he turns it around. That's a bad contract if he plays like he has been in Pitt, but at least he isn't anchored with Jack Johnson. Without JMFJ I bet he turns it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad