Proposal: OTT/EDM

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
To Ottawa: Matt Benning, Andreas Athanasiou.

To Edmonton: Chris Tierney, 2nd in 2020 (52nd via CLB) + conditional 2nd in 2021 via CLB (condition being Athanasiou scoring 20 or more goals in 2020-21 season).

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Matt Benning does nothing for Ottawa. Which of these D does he beat out next season? Maybe Lajoie and Englund?

Chabot
Zaitsev
Wolanin
Reilly
Lajoie
Englund
Brannstrom
Zub

Ottawa can sign five Matt Bennings this offseason without giving up anything. Chris Tierney is a good fit in Ottawa. Plays 3C and is as valuable as AA and will likely be cheaper. Why is Ottawa giving up two extra picks for him?

I hate it.

Reactions: bert and 7even

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Matt Benning does nothing for Ottawa. Which of these LDs does he beat out next season? Maybe Lajoie?

Chabot
Wolanin
Reilly
Lajoie
Brannstrom

Ottawa can sign five Matt Bennings this offseason without giving up anything. Chris Tierney is a good fit in Ottawa. Plays 3C and is as valuable as AA and will likely be cheaper. Why is Ottawa giving up two extra picks for him?

I hate it.

Benning shoots right, and is an RFA. Good mid pairing steady D, with offensive upside.

Tierney is a solid 3rd line C, on the verge of being phased out by our centre depth via White, Norris, and L.Brown. Athanasiou can play either left wing or centre, the latter position being more relevant, if one of the 2 latter centres I listed don’t make the team out of training camp. Should be noted as well, that we may well draft Byfield with pick #3 who would also be in the mix. We have a surplus of picks, the 52nd is a small price to play to begin with, and the additional Columbus 2nd imo is well worth it if Athanasiou bags at least 20 for us, which imo is likely playing in our top 6.

We would have traded Dzingel for Duclair and Athanasiou. I’ll take that 10/10 times.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Wasn’t there talk that Athanasiou wouldn’t even be qualified by the Oilers?

If that happens, this proposal is moot. Seems really rash on Holland’s part, and downright dumb. Try to recoup some assets if you don’t want to hold onto the guy for whatever reason. A poor stretch post deadline, is a garbage sample size to draw from, and he should know that. But maybe he’s asking for too much on his next contract. Would still try to flip him if that’s the case. And I’d still trade Tierney for Benning, from our (Ottawa’s) perspective.

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If that happens, this proposal is moot. Seems really rash on Holland’s part, and downright dumb. Try to recoup some assets if you don’t want to hold onto the guy for whatever reason. A poor stretch post deadline, is a garbage sample size to draw from, and he should know that. But maybe he’s asking for too much on his next contract. Would still try to flip him if that’s the case. And I’d still trade Tierney for Benning, from our (Ottawa’s) perspective.
If just Benning can get us Tierney sign me up...

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
If just Benning can get us Tierney sign me up...

Tierney’s a 35-40 point #3C on most teams. His 48 point year two seasons ago was a one off, unless he somehow finds himself between two guys like Tkachuk and Stone for extended stretches again. Not likely to happen in many places. I see Benning as a really steady 30 point #4D, if he stays healthy, and has an offensively competent partner (Brannstrom). I’d play him on our second pair above Zaitsev. I expect recent signing Zub to play with Chabot.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Tierney’s a 35-40 point #3C on most teams. His 48 point year two seasons ago was a one off, unless he somehow finds himself between two guys like Tkachuk and Stone for extended stretches again. Not likely to happen in many places. I see Benning as a really steady 30 point #4D, if he stays healthy, and has an offensively competent partner (Brannstrom). I’d play him on our second pair above Zaitsev. I expect recent signing Zub to play with Chabot.
Benning is a real solid bottom pairing defender. Loves to throw the body and is pretty good defensively. Awful at moving the puck but he does have a bit of a big shot that he can let go sometimes. Tierney would be nice behind McDrai as a 3c and add some much needed scoring punch to the 3rd line. I see him as a 30-35 point guy with the linemates he would receive here. Oilers take that trade and run.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Matt Benning does nothing for Ottawa. Which of these D does he beat out next season? Maybe Lajoie and Englund?

Chabot
Zaitsev
Wolanin
Reilly
Lajoie
Englund
Brannstrom
Zub

I hate it.

Nice Job editing your post from “LD’s” to just “D”. Target moving recognized, but it makes no difference. He easily beats out Reilly, Lajoie, and Englund (not sure why you added him, he still shoots left). None of whom would be playing right side, regardless.

That said, I misread what you said about signing 5 Matt Bennings. I don’t see it. TVR is a comparable, but is 3 years older and will cost more. Kevan Miller might not cost more, but is 6 years older and has no offence. Michael Stone is 4 years older with not much more offence than Miller. Justin Braun is 7 years older, with declining offence and will likely cost more still. Kevin Shattenkirk, wrong fit stylistically, wouldn’t sign with us anyway. Chris Tanev is gonna get f***ing paid, but we’re cheap, however he would be awesome. Travis Hamonic will likely be overpaid, and I can’t see him signing with us anyway. Probably goes to the peg. Sami Vatanen = too pricey for Melnyk, and probably a poor fit given our depth chart. Radko Gudas = too expensive, and third pair fodder only imo. The one guy I could see us signing is Zach Bogosian, local talent essentially, perfect fit for either Chabot or Brannstrom, but may well try to cash in after this year’s playoff run.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Benning is a real solid bottom pairing defender. Loves to throw the body and is pretty good defensively. Awful at moving the puck but he does have a bit of a big shot that he can let go sometimes. Tierney would be nice behind McDrai as a 3c and add some much needed scoring punch to the 3rd line. I see him as a 30-35 point guy with the linemates he would receive here. Oilers take that trade and run.

30-35 points for Tierney may be a better range with Chiasson on his wing. He has no shot, is a mediocre skater, but is good on the draw, and can find the open man. I’d like to see what Benning can do with more ice time and an offensive partner. I think he’d be able to stabilize a guy like Brannstrom, who in turn could make up for any puck moving deficiencies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Benning is absolutely not a 30 point 4D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad