Proposal: OTT/EDM

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Clayonator, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:09 AM.

1. SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    White can and has played RW. You can't have 4 guys who start more than 50% in the OZone and all those guys need that. Who PKs? Who plays the defensive role against top players? We have just as much depth on the wings that needs in on the NHL, too, and all of them will benefit from being initially deployed in the role AA would need. There is no one in our organization who would fill Tierneys roll without suffering, struggling, and being stunted.

I'd trade Tierney, but doing so for AA makes no sense and doing so for the reason youre stating doesnt make much sense, either.

2. ManofSteel55 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Because Ethan Bear and Adam Larsson are better than him.

3. alpine4life Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    for DeMelo, yes, I'd do this

4. BoardsofCanada Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    AA had one good season but I'd argue that was an anomaly.
    25-30 points is more reflective of his true abilities.
    He also got destroyed defensively last season for the Wings.
    Tierney isn't sexy but he's steady and way better defensively than AA.
    Ottawa has Formenton coming soon and he's a better version of AA.

SadEugeneOregonDonor likes this.
  5. ManofSteel55 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Disagree. He looked fine filling in for Larsson for short periods of time. He's a great bottom pair guy who has earned a look on a middle pair. But we don't have room for him with Bouchard likely being earmarked for the 3RD spot. He is too good to press box, which is the only reason he is for trade. I would be comfortable keeping him if we found a trade for Larsson but I don't think Holland is interested in moving him.

6. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    White does not look good on RW, which is something we’ll have to contend with if we draft Byfield. White can play a match up and PK role just as well as Tierney, and Paul cam centre the 2nd PK unit.

As of now our depth on the wings is:

LW: Tkachuk RW: Batherson
    Duclair C.Brown
    Balcers Ryan
    Paul Hawrlyuk

C.Brown is ideally on the third line, with Ryan on the 4th, and Duclair and AA can play either wing effectively. As noted AA can also player centre if absolutely needed.

7. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    I think Benning can stabilize Brannstrom, something Hainsey was supposed to do, and did okay, but is also 80 years old, and his walker kept tripping people.

8. SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    AA can play center if needed..... but not in Tierneys role. White has shown no ability to play a match up and PK role. No matter what you say, we have a bunch of players who have performed in AAs role, but none who have performed in Tierney's role. Bringing in a guy who needs to be severely sheltered and who brings nothing but meager offense is the last thing we should be doing.

9. CF Punk Le Magnifique

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    TBH I wouldn't give up anything of any real worth for Athanasiou. He was invisible in Edmonton and really only had that one solid year in Detroit. The guy is a really fast and quality skater, but he lacks hockey IQ. I wouldn't expect him to hit 30 goals ever again and he's not defensively sound enough to play in any team's bottom 6. Buyer beware! :thumbd:

10. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    I’m not trying to get AA to fill Tierney’s role. White is every bit as good defensively are Tierney. That’s just how it is. Limited showing in that role mean absolutely nothing. We have him and two other NHL ready centres who bring much more to the table than Tierney. If you consider what would be 20+ goals meager offence, then I dunno what to tell ya. I’ll take that, while being a great compliment in opening ice for whoever he’s playing with (guys who can’t stake as fast) and retrieving pucks on the forecheck, over Tierney’s complete non physical engagement and passive stick waving.

11. SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Oh, you mean that thing he's done once in his career as a one-dimensional 26 year old who has gotten top linemates?

The last thing White needs is to be placed into a difficult defensive role. No one thinks this is a good idea besides you.

xVolchenkov and TheNewEra like this.
  12. TheNewEra Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    i would if i could, he left the wings in a horrific situation and is about to do the same again with the oilers

13. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    And what do you think would happen if he played with Tkachuk/Batherson and L.Brown/Norris? I didn’t include Duclair, because they’d likely spread out the burners.

14. Dr Quincy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Take out the conditional 2nd and it's fair. Whether it serves any purpose or is the best OTT could get is a different question.

15. SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I think he'd very quickly fall out of favour, drag them down, whiff on chances, and bring nothing besides meager offense, like he has done pretty much his entire career. We already have Duclair, who I like but has major warts. No need for AA.

16. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    Cheaper the better.

17. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    Agree to disagree. This is Duclair all over again. I’ve seen this movie before.

18. SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    How many Duclairs do you need? Duclair still has yet to prove he is a player who can be counted on consistently. You can't have a lineup full of guys who need to learn how to play an NHL game.

19. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    Oh boy.

20. SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Lol, did you watch this season? Duclair was excellent and electric at times and did absolutely nothing at others. Got frustrated and his play suffered significantly as bounces stopped going his way. He got discouraged and his effort suffered. If you think there arent 20+ teams who would have healthied Duclair last year, you're in the clouds my man. And if you think a team with 6 Duclairs is going anywhere, all the same.

I'm all for betting on skill, but AA isnt skilled. He's just fast. He's not smart, he doesnt play heavy hockey, he doesnt play responsible hockey, he doesnt create for his teammates. He's a luxury bottom 6er.

BoardsofCanada likes this.
  21. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    I did. That’s why you’re take is astounding. Sure he hit that memorable cold streak. But his effort patently didn’t suffer. If anything, he tried too hard, and wasn’t patient enough. He still managed 20+ goals and 40+ points. Was trusted enough to be on the Pk periodically, and did a fine job. Look Torts, if you think he doesn’t know how to play the game, and would rather good ole battleship Tierney, have it your way. I’ll take my dynamic complimentary winger. Nice strawman argument with the 6 Duclairs, too. Bravo. I’ll take Duclair, AA, and Formenton on this team right now though, absolutely.

22. McSuper 5-14-6-1

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Retired
    As an Oiler fan I have to say your over selling Benning . Anytime he been in the top 4 he has struggled. He is a real solid bottom pairing guy who usually has a + on a team that don’t know how to play defensive hockey . Any team that has Benning as a top 4 D is in a world of hurt .

23. ChaoticOrange Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Hockey related.
    I'll actually disagree with this. His two best games as an Oiler were the final two games against the Hawks, he looked like he was getting more and more comfortable.

His spirit had been beaten down in Detroit and he took awhile to find his way in an entirely new system but he was getting there. Sens fans should be keenly aware of how much a change in scenery can matter.

24. SadEugeneOregonDonor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Lol, I never said I'd take Tierney over Duclair. I'm saying you cant have a team full of guys who require insulation. Duclair came a long way, but if you think he didnt sulk, give up on plays after missed opportunities, and seriously struggle at points during the year, I dont know what filter you were watching those games through. I am a big fan of Duclair, his raw skill is fantastic, but he is not yet reliable and he still needs to make improvements. I think he gets too hard on himself and too in his head, puts too much pressure on himself, and when he does that he doesnt produce and makes bad decisions with and without the puck. I don't really care if you disagree with my assessment, as I'm pretty confident in it.

Either way, we're not talking about Duclair - we're talking about AA, who sucks at pretty much ever aspect of the game. If we didnt have Duclair and AA was essentially free, I'd take a flyer on him - you're right, he can skate fast in a straight line and thats a useful skill. A well-structured team that needs cheap depth scoring might be smart to bring him in on a 1m deal. But we have Duclair and a ton of young talent coming up, all of whom require insulation. I'm not interested in bringing in a mid-20s player one-dimensional, brutal defensive player who has scored more than 33 points in 1/4 seasons.

25. Clayonator Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Personal Trainer
    Keep in mind, I deem him to be a stopgap. Perhaps 30 points in that spot is too high, even at his peak. That’s fine. As mentioned, I deem him as a DeMelo type player. McNabb, in talking to an Oiler’s fan on the outside, would be another. Admittedly there’s not much offence in either of their cases, but his chief role would he stabilization anyway.