Proposal: OTT/EDM

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I agree, and while this isn’t a direct parallel, I think it’s comparable.

It depends on team needs too, right? Ottawa felt Foligno was expendable I guess because they had some decent forwards to replace some of the minutes Foligno gave them, but they really needed a LD because they were thin at that spot.

It kind of reminds me of the Salo for Schaefer deal that went down ten years earlier. I liked that deal from Ottawa’s POV as well.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
There was talk earlier this year that Stetcher would not be QO'd. He improved a lot but I think he's definitely moveable for the right price. Nucks are up for a cap crunch, but I wouldnt be surprised if he goes unqualified and signs a 1yr deal below his QO to stay in Vancouver.

To be fair to Tierney, hasnt he been the much more consistent player? Three straight years with similar point totals. Isnt he much more what Ottawa needs right now? Name me another center in the org who is ready to take on his 2.5mins per game on the PK, or his 60% defensive starts, while not getting absolutely caved in on faceoffs (or in general)? AA has a career 56% OZone starts and is around 42% on faceoffs... Did we not bring in an FA just last year who outperformed AA this year? He cost 900k and his name was Tyler Ennis. And while AA played with Larkin, Bertuzzi, Fabbri and Filpulla for most of the year, Ennis played the vast majority of his time with White, Anisimov, Namestnikov, etc.

I'm open to trading Tierney, but it needs to address a need. All AA does is, at best, push another guy out of a role.

Trading Tierney opens up room for White, L.Brown and Norris to get legit playing time. Team speed is a legit need, and I think AA rediscovers his offence with us.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
This trade has to many Moving pieces. It’s either AA or Kassian for Tierney. No picks on either side.

This depends if Ott needs speed or toughness. I understand they are trying to create room for center prospects, but this may be disputed by other Sens fans than the ones I talked to.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Trading Tierney opens up room for White, L.Brown and Norris to get legit playing time. Team speed is a legit need, and I think AA rediscovers his offence with us.

No need to move Tierney to do that. Those guys should be eating into Anisimovs minutes, Namestnikovs minutes, Ennis's minutes, Pageau's minutes, plus the already available minutes that come from being a bad team. In fact, by bringing in a guy like AA, who needs to be insulated and needs to play in the top 6, you're doing much much more to block those guys (and others) from getting the ice they need than you are by keeping Tierney.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
It depends on team needs too, right? Ottawa felt Foligno was expendable I guess because they had some decent forwards to replace some of the minutes Foligno gave them, but they really needed a LD because they were thin at that spot.

It kind of reminds me of the Salo for Schaefer deal that went down ten years earlier. I liked that deal from Ottawa’s POV as well.

I’m looking at the UFA market for RHD, and the only name I see being a fit is Bogosian. Maybe we go that direction. If not, I look at Benning, and see a DeMelo like player with more offence. I’d trade Tierney for DeMelo every time.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
No need to move Tierney to do that. Those guys should be eating into Anisimovs minutes, Namestnikovs minutes, Ennis's minutes, Pageau's minutes, plus the already available minutes that come from being a bad team

Centre depth as follows currently:

Tierney
White
Norris/L.Brown
Anisimov.

Moving Tierney facilitates all three being on the team. Pageau moving was a start. Ennis and Namestnikov don’t count due to being wingers. Anisimov should be 4th line.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
To Ottawa: Matt Benning, Andreas Athanasiou.

To Edmonton: Chris Tierney, 2nd in 2020 (52nd via CLB) + conditional 2nd in 2021 via CLB (condition being Athanasiou scoring 20 or more goals in 2020-21 season).

OP must be Pierre Dorion's shadow account, because he's got picks on the wrong side of the deal for absolutely no reason.

Reactions: mdysi

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I’m looking at the UFA market for RHD, and the only name I see being a fit is Bogosian. Maybe we go that direction. If not, I look at Benning, and see a DeMelo like player with more offence. I’d trade Tierney for DeMelo every time.

What about Luke Schenn?

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Benning is the perfect archetype of a guy who exceeds expectations when sheltered and struggles mightily if given tougher matchups. He's failed multiple times when filling in on a top 4 role. I call players like him "Matt Benning of the month" because there are a lot of D like him out there getting people excited with their play in sheltered roles. Benning is the clearest example of it.

Put the picks on the other side of the deal and you'd be closer to the right value.

Tierney is a guy who looks good when playing with offensively competent wingers, and extremely pedestrian on any team with good centre depth, due to often limited options on the wings. He’s still quite responsible and smart, but won’t engage physically, and isn’t a good skater.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
This trade has to many Moving pieces. It’s either AA or Kassian for Tierney. No picks on either side.

This depends if Ott needs speed or toughness. I understand they are trying to create room for center prospects, but this may be disputed by other Sens fans than the ones I talked to.

As mentioned, I take AA for Tierney and run for the hills. Tierney for Kassian seems quite lateral to me.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don’t see him capable of sliding up into the #4 spot if need be. Many disagree that Benning can do that either, but our opinions differ there.

I’m not sure Ottawa even needs a RD to tell you the truth. Assuming Hainsey doesn’t come back we have Zaitsev, Jaros, Zub. Not ideal, but next year will be similar to this one I think. We aren’t ready to compete yet, so just stay the course and let some young guys get more playing time.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I’m not sure Ottawa even needs a RD to tell you the truth. Assuming Hainsey doesn’t come back we have Zaitsev, Jaros, Zub. Not ideal, but next year will be similar to this one I think. We aren’t ready to compete yet, so just stay the course and let some young guys get more playing time.

What’s your read on Jaros? I don’t know that DJ is all that high on playing him, due to questionable decisions with the puck. Has great tools though.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What’s your read on Jaros? I don’t know that DJ is all that high on playing him, due to questionable decisions with the puck. Has great tools though.

Yeah, I feel D.J. might not be his biggest fan. I liked what I saw from him in 18-19 though. Capable bottom pairing guy to me. He’s 24 though now I think, so I think it’s now or never to make the team and stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad