Proposal: OTT/EDM

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Lol, I never said I'd take Tierney over Duclair. I'm saying you cant have a team full of guys who require insulation. Duclair came a long way, but if you think he didnt sulk, give up on plays after missed opportunities, and seriously struggle at points during the year, I dont know what filter you were watching those games through. I am a big fan of Duclair, his raw skill is fantastic, but he is not yet reliable and he still needs to make improvements. I think he gets too hard on himself and too in his head, puts too much pressure on himself, and when he does that he doesnt produce and makes bad decisions with and without the puck.

Either way, we're not talking about Duclair - we're talking about AA, who sucks. If we didnt have Duclair and AA was essentially free, I'd take a flyer on him - you're right, he can skate fast in a straight line and thats a useful skill. But we have Duclair and a ton of young talent coming up, all of whom require insulation. I'm not interested in bringing in a mid-20s player one-dimensional, brutal defensive player who has scored more than 33 points in 1/4 seasons.

Your main contention was not trading Tierney for AA, (due to what you deem to be more pertinent needs) who I compared to Duclair, who you in turn took swings at. It’s essentially the same in principle, especially when part of your argument was how many Duclairs do you need, followed by overstating my position of wanting 6. So you went ahead and affirmed the comparison between the two. In regards to Duclair’s performance when in a slump, there’s a big difference between trying to force plays, and giving up on them. I saw the former. He went one dimensional when in the slump, but that doesn’t = lack of effort. It simply doesn’t.

I also don’t know what you mean by insulation. Tierney taking minutes away from White Norris and L.Brown doesn’t help them. White needs reps, L.Brown is ready imo, as is Norris. Get them competent wingers, and they’ll be fine. If one is really in way over their head at some point, send him back to Bellevegas, and move Paul over into his spot till he’s finished his reset.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the move from a RW to a Center is good for the Oilers as 3c is a huge hole.

AA at center makes a high-event line, with a lot of goals for and probably even more against. The Oilers already have two better high-event lines. And then who plays the shutdown minutes? You've got 15-20 minutes of tough minutes that need to be handled by someone else. That likely leaves AA in a low minutes role closer to that of a 4C than a 3C.

sirom

May 17, 2010
AA can play center if needed..... but not in Tierneys role. White has shown no ability to play a match up and PK role. No matter what you say, we have a bunch of players who have performed in AAs role, but none who have performed in Tierney's role. Bringing in a guy who needs to be severely sheltered and who brings nothing but meager offense is the last thing we should be doing.
Agreed comparing White to Tierney defensively is ridiculous. Passive stick waving was a quote lmfao that is what every coach wants great stick and not over committing like a jitterbug and getting out of position. A lot of old time Can hockey fans want the players too run around and throw hits with no hockey IQ that is not the NHL in this day and age!!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The big issue is the valuation of Benning.

He is far from a player who can move up the lineup to stabilize a pairing. He plays some of the most sheltered minutes in the entire league because he self-destructs playing any more than that.

There's a good chance the Oilers walk away from Benning if he doesn't take a contract that is basically half his QO.

Reactions: bert

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like this trade. It's also underrated in this thread. I will say however, I'm not an expert on Tierney although I remember some of him from San Jose. If he's basically a 3rd liner, then I think Ottawa should consider this deal.

A conditional pick is a good idea for this one. Anathasiou is a good project. He has top six sniper potential, so having value tied to performance is the right tact. Benning is a guy who gets a lot of flack as bottom pairing fodder, but he is very underrated. Great shot. Very physical. Plays smart. Not a great skater, but you don't notice it a lot. He definitely gets decent minutes on Ottawa.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
My history with trade proposals is Matt Benning is a cap dump. I'm okay with AA for Tierney but the extra second erks me. Its public knowledge AA wasnt being qualified. Basically Edm gets a player losing no assets.

Reactions: Skid and bert

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
It's hilarious how Oilers fans underrate their good defensemen and overrate their bad defensemen.

Matt Benning is a really, really good 3rd pairing guy. Could he play in the top 4? I'm not sure. I would be comfortable with him there for a period of time but on a good team he stays on the bottom pair.

If I was Edmonton, I really wouldn't want to trade him. But to get a 3C (although, I don't really like Tierney too much) and re-coup the assets traded for AA (all while saving money), I'd think long and hard about it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

For those with poor memories.

I don't know the stats for like Crosby/McDavid/Ovechkin which % of their goals look nice.... but out of those 30 I'd say 9 of them looked really good. Goals that not everyone can score whether it be his stick handling, his skating or his shot.

There were 5 that had some good elements to them, but I question how often he missed the net that year when he's shooting for goals like that because they don't go in that often.

There were at least 10 where the goalie was a sleep and not doing his job properly.

One thing you can say about his meh goals is that he goes to the net and he has at least a decent awareness of where to go to recieve passes for the 1 timer.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Matt Benning does nothing for Ottawa. Which of these D does he beat out next season? Maybe Lajoie and Englund?

Chabot
Zaitsev
Wolanin
Reilly
Lajoie
Englund
Brannstrom
Zub

Ottawa can sign five Matt Bennings this offseason without giving up anything. Chris Tierney is a good fit in Ottawa. Plays 3C and is as valuable as AA and will likely be cheaper. Why is Ottawa giving up two extra picks for him?

I hate it.
At this point in time Benning is probably better than all but Chabot and Zaitsev. Brannstrom has a lot more potential of course but has yet to establish himself as a regular NHL'er. Benning is actually a solid bottom pairing defenseman who can survive on the right side of a middle pairing so long as he is not the guy being asked to carry it.

If you look at his numbers in the NHL on an 82 game basis he would average 5g 15a 20 pts and while +/- can be a dubious stat the fact that he has never been a - player on the Oilers tells you that the team does not bleed goals when he is on the ice.

He has had some injury issues, but he is tough and physical. He is decent on the pk.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's hilarious how Oilers fans underrate their good defensemen and overrate their bad defensemen.

Matt Benning is a really, really good 3rd pairing guy. Could he play in the top 4? I'm not sure. I would be comfortable with him there for a period of time but on a good team he stays on the bottom pair.

If I was Edmonton, I really wouldn't want to trade him. But to get a 3C (although, I don't really like Tierney too much) and re-coup the assets traded for AA (all while saving money), I'd think long and hard about it.
I actually agree with you about Benning. He's pretty vanilla in his game and he can make the odd big mistake, but so does every defenseman in the NHL.

Reactions: TFHockey

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not sure Ottawa trades two 2nd round picks for AA and Benning.

Let alone adding Tierney.

Tierney for AA with a small add on either side makes tons more sense.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
At this point in time Benning is probably better than all but Chabot and Zaitsev. Brannstrom has a lot more potential of course but has yet to establish himself as a regular NHL'er. Benning is actually a solid bottom pairing defenseman who can survive on the right side of a middle pairing so long as he is not the guy being asked to carry it.

If you look at his numbers in the NHL on an 82 game basis he would average 5g 15a 20 pts and while +/- can be a dubious stat the fact that he has never been a - player on the Oilers tells you that the team does not bleed goals when he is on the ice.

He has had some injury issues, but he is tough and physical. He is decent on the pk.
He's not any better an option than Wolanin or Lajoie who are both younger and better already. I seriously doubt you've seen Benning a lot. I live in Edmonton and see plenty of Oiler games. He's terrible.

I have no idea what Zub will be like, but I'll take my chances with him over Benning as well.

Benning is worth precisely one 7th rounder in 2027 to the right team.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Benning is chronically undervalued by many Oiler fans. He's a quality third pairing d-man with a Swiss Army knife utility in his game. He adds a bit of offensive production with puck moving and a heavy shot; honest grit guy who'll straighten up opposition with big hits and physical play; always a plus player on team that have been mediocre for much of his tenure. A solid, low maintenance Pro's Pro who is a solid teammate instilled from his hockey family. Can be prone to bad mistakes often when overplayed as has been a horrid habit of a chronic underperforming franchise. (I think this leads to confirmation bias where his mistakes get amplified by those that don't like the player).

Slotted as third pairing with ability for short-term duties as a second-pairing, Benning is a solid depth defenseman. With a horrendous decade of bad drafting that ignored defense for too long in multi-rebuilds, I frankly hope the Oil hold on to Benning whose only now entering peak years performance and at 248 NHL games just reaching the game's played which help establish the bonafides of a d-man.

I'd consider his inclusion to land a quality third line centre. But I think this player's utility and intangibles make his a solid third pairing guy for the Oil.

EDIT: Plus/Minus is an imperfect stat. But on team that was a collective -28 during Benning's time on the roster, Benning's been +32. Voodoo math? Maybe. Or just a solid meat and potatoes depth young NHL d man that's kept his head above water on shitty teams.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I don't get why you're insulting Oiler fans. Isn't this exactly how we see Benning? I mean, I don't see him as a 2nd pairing guy but anything is possible.

The guys you have to watch out for are Caleb Jones and Lagesson on the left side. Jones is an NHL guy right now and maybe a fit in the top four. The Oilers project Lagesson to be the same.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's not any better an option than Wolanin or Lajoie who are both younger and better already. I seriously doubt you've seen Benning a lot. I live in Edmonton and see plenty of Oiler games. He's terrible.

I have no idea what Zub will be like, but I'll take my chances with him over Benning as well.

Benning is worth precisely one 7th rounder in 2027 to the right team.
Benning has played 264 regular season and playoff games as an Oiler. I've watched 264 of them and probably 25 or so live despite living in Ontario where I actually get to see the Sens play a fair bit. I even get to see the odd Belleville game since I get all of the Marlie games and while I am no Leaf fan it is a way to watch the AHL. . No one is going to suggest that Benning is a star in the making. He is what he is ... a solid bottom pairing defenseman who could play on Ottawa's second pairing right now in a pinch while the kids mature. There is no rational way to argue that either Lajoie or Wolanin are ahead of Benning right now. They might be in the future but even that is debatable. Brannstrom is a different story. He has a lot of potential. But like all young defensemen he will have to learn to play at the next level. If the Sens had an NHL game tomorrow with a lot of Melnyk's money on the line Benning would play over any of these three, especially since he is a true right hander.

GoingInDrai

GoingInDrai89
Feb 10, 2019
Matt Benning does nothing for Ottawa. Which of these D does he beat out next season? Maybe Lajoie and Englund?

Chabot
Zaitsev
Wolanin
Reilly
Lajoie
Englund
Brannstrom
Zub

Ottawa can sign five Matt Bennings this offseason without giving up anything. Chris Tierney is a good fit in Ottawa. Plays 3C and is as valuable as AA and will likely be cheaper. Why is Ottawa giving up two extra picks for him?

I hate it.
Honestly if this is your take on it and listing the defenceman, Benning will be a top 4 lol this dude is a solid defenceman and has done nothing but prove himself with limited minutes in Edmonton, i think he is under valued and needs a fair shake at 20 minutes a game somewhere, also i think with your center depth and likely drafting a top center prospect this year is think Ottawa would love this trade, i as an oiler fan an on the fence about it but think it would work well in both our favors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->