Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Sens trade Zack Smith to Chicago for Artem Anisimov

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I loved Smith in Ottawa. He was a heart and soul player who contributed on the PK. His career high of 25 goals was kind of fluky but he can provide spot duty in the top 6 as a winger. However he has had a bunch of injuries that have slowed him down. He's also a nice guy off the ice too I've ran into him a couple of times.

One of my favourite fights ever. He can really throw them.

Him and Shaw on a line will be fun to watch.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Once he went up on waivers last year, that was Zack's death knell with the Sens. Getting Shaw back and now Smith with some edge will make the Hawks a little heavier to play against.

Arty got pushed out by Strome's emergence; when he was going way back when, that PAK/AK72 line was unstoppable but at 4.5 AAV for a bottom-6 player, no bueno.

Reactions: Muffinalt

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Chicago paid Anisimovs 2M signing bonus July 1. Anisimovs real $ this year is 2M and next year 3M even his caphit is 4,55M. Smiths caphit is 3,25M and real dollars the same / year. Ottawa saves 1,5M in cash and Chicago 1,3M in cap/year

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Want to take a guess at how much of Anisimov's yearly salary is in signing bonuses?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Seems like a loss for Chicago, no?

Why?

They save over a million against the cap this and next season, which can't hurt given that they need to re-sign DeBrincat and Strome, and currently don't have any goalies signed.

Anisimov and Smith are both in clear decline, I'm not sure this effects much roster-wise for either team.

Jamie Winston

Jul 13, 2019
So Chicago is weird?

Jokiharu for a bust
2+3 for Shaw
Anisimov for a player they could have got for free a few months ago and who is overpaid.

I'm not liking their direction. I don't see what Smith does for them.

You talk as if artem had value... and no one is losing sleep over the Shaw trade. Have a hard time seeing a 61 point pace guy with a two way gritty game at 3.9 mil getting less then a 2nd and a 3rd. We even got more when we traded him when he was a 30 point player. Not to mention the player that we eventually got out of that trade.

Reactions: wahsnairb

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That’s an interesting way to say “Artem Anisimov has a signing bonus in his contract that was paid on July 1st.”

So in addition to saving around 1.5m in salary (due to the 2019 SB likely already being paid), he gets someone who can be a quality top 3 center. Not a bad deal. I personally like Smith better as a player, but I can see how AA could help Ottawa a lot more.

Reactions: td_ice

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Chicago got a little worse to save 1.3 mil cap space
Ottawa got a little better to spend 1.3 more in cap but 1.25 less in actual money.

Ottawa made the floor. YAY!

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
AA has 2y @ 4.55
ZS has 2y @ 3.25

Smith's contract is also a lot more palatable via buyout Smith buyout vs Anisimov buyout (idk if this is a realistic possibility). Another cap from from the Blackhawks. Ottawa gets the better player, Chicago gets a little more cap space to navigate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad