Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CBJ] Duchene and Bergman for Abramov, Davidson, 1st, and Conditional 1st - Part 2

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I disagree. I just believe the price is too high. Even if they somehow get out of their division, I don't think they would have much chance against whoever comes out of the Atlantic.
And that only if they keep all of Panarin, Bob and Duchene as rentals for the run. Too steep of a price IMO.

That said. I think the worst case scenario might just be Duchene re-signing with them while Bob and Panarin walk. That has the potential to lock them into mediocrity for another 5+ years (while costing them yet another 1st).
Not good enough to consistently make the playoffs or even threaten to win a round and not bad enough to ever get enough talent through the draft realistically to change it.

That was always a risk once Panarin and Bob had their feet out of the door but I worry that re-signing Duchene would only make it worse.
We'd have a high-octane one-two punch at center in Duchene and PLD to go along with our one-two punch on the blueline in Jones and Werenski. And Atkinson still isn't going anywhere. And there's still some good secondary scorers like Anderson and Bjorkstrand. Korpisalo hasn't set the world on fire, but there's two other "right now" candidates right behind him in Merzlikins and Vehvilainen - and if they don't work out, there's also Tarasov. And that's assuming we don't get to actually do anything with the cap space left over from not signing the two Russians.

Unless there really is some kind of doom curse on teams Duchene plays for, we're not in any real danger.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
We'd have a high-octane one-two punch at center in Duchene and PLD to go along with our one-two punch on the blueline in Jones and Werenski. And Atkinson still isn't going anywhere. And there's still some good secondary scorers like Anderson and Bjorkstrand. Korpisalo hasn't set the world on fire, but there's two other "right now" candidates right behind him in Merzlikins and Vehvilainen - and if they don't work out, there's also Tarasov. And that's assuming we don't get to actually do anything with the cap space left over from not signing the two Russians.

Unless there really is some kind of doom curse on teams Duchene plays for, we're not in any real danger.

Didn't read the rest, but had to google who PLD was. Nice to see the BJ's had probably the worst center depth in the league before this and probably the worst 1C. I still think this was a terrible move and instead of rebuilding, they'll fall right back to mediocrity once Duchene, Panarin, and Bob walk.

Instead of having3+ 1st round picks, you'll have 0 and a first round playoff loss at best.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Didn't read the rest, but had to google who PLD was. Nice to see the BJ's had probably the worst center depth in the league before this and probably the worst 1C. I still think this was a terrible move and instead of rebuilding, they'll fall right back to mediocrity once Duchene, Panarin, and Bob walk.

Instead of having3+ 1st round picks, you'll have 0 and a first round playoff loss at best.
Only read till you had to google pld and decided you probably don’t know much about what you’re talking about

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Only read till you had to google pld and decided you probably don’t know much about what you’re talking about
You get a cookie.
320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

hsfgsteele

Apr 29, 2011
Canada

Was Bob bringing back another 1st? And just for a fun exercise, last time CBJ had 3 mid to late picks was 2013 draft, they turned into Wennberg, Rychel and Dano. Seeing as we can't count on great trades happening again, thats 1 top 6 potential centre who is struggling mightily this season offensively and two players currently in the AHL 5 years after the draft. Not exactly franchise altering. And i'm not sure you know what "at best" means.

On a different note, does anyone know the exact conditions of the 2nd pick? Is it if cbj signs him before FA or sign him in general?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Incidentally, Dutch got his first goal as a Blue Jacket earlier tonight. Was about an inch away from two, but Atkinson's stick was in first so he got it. :)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hopefully he likes CLB and signs there,not only for us getting the pick...But I kinda get how they must feel about the Bob and Panarin scenario...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad