Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CBJ] Duchene and Bergman for Abramov, Davidson, 1st, and Conditional 1st - Part 2

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I dont really understand why Columbus did this. Outside of a Conference final, you lose your now 3 best players to UFA and your first round pick. That is a lot for a team that still is imo in that 5-10 spot in the East.

The wise move would have been to trade Panarin and Bobs and have 3+ first round picks going into the draft.

Maybe they flip Duchene on Monday for a much bigger return? That would be a very shrewd move, similar to Sharks with Hoffman.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I dont really understand why Columbus did this. Outside of getting to a Conference final, you lose your now 3 best players to UFA and your first round pick. That is a lot for a team that still is imo in that 5-10 spot in the East.

The wise move would have been to trade Panarin and Bobs and have 3+ first round picks going into the draft.

Jarmo was listening to offers all along.

I think he realized that the returns for the elite players aren't very high, certainly not commensurate with the talent level. There's several elite guys on the market this year too, helping to keep prices down. It's better to take advantage of those low prices by being a buyer. He wouldn't get much for selling.

And I don't buy the pessimism on the Jackets. They are around top 4 or 5 in the league in wins over the last three years. They've been blocked by the cup champs the last couple playoffs but the division looks like it might be opening up this year. Adding Duchene fills in the one lineup problem they've had. The roster looks ready for a run now.

Reactions: Viqsi

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I dont really understand why Columbus did this. Outside of getting to a Conference final, you lose your now 3 best players to UFA and your first round pick. That is a lot for a team that still is imo in that 5-10 spot in the East.

Last time we had 3 first rounders, we ended up with Wennberg, Rychel, and Dano.

As a fan, I’ll take the conference finals instead, thanks.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

Look at the age of our team and the prospects ready to play pro... give me 1 good reason to get more of that at the cost of making the playoffs because trading those guys ends our chance.

Sometimes you have to tey even if it will take 2 years to recover. If they cant win with there greatest roster ever assembled the off season is a good time to shake up and reload with the 25+mil we will have.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
They need Duchense to get them into the playoffs otherwise they gave up a lottery pick.

If they flip him and then use some of the assets to acquire a cheaper piece then the also make the playoffs. The conditional 1st rounder makes little sense for them to re-sign him therefore trading him now makes a lot of sense.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I give the nod to the Blue Jackets. I think they become a serious threat in the east this year with this addition. I think the Senators should have held out for a better prospect to cross their table before rushing this one in.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Not a bad return for Ottawa, but this seems like a middling deal all around. CBJ probably makes the playoffs, make minimal noise, and is not a contender. Duchene isn't highly likely to re-sign with them IMO. I think CBJ made the right move, because why not go all-in before the team has to rebuild? But their ceiling isn't that high even with the add. Ottawa gets a non-lottery 1st and ok prospects.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This wasn't a terrible trade at all though.
he isnt wrong though. yeah this one isnt that bad but in general when u think about it. what is cost to acquire Duchene was way more valuable (potentially) than what the return is. if that pick becomes Jack Hughes. its a masssssive loss. Im still shocked they never got a lottery protection on that deal. but at the time. who the heck saw a decline coming. I thought the sens were going to be rock solid at that moment.
hopefully he resigns and gets you guys that 2nd 1st.

by the way I dont care about rivalry's anymore. I just want Canada to bring the cup home.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This wasn't a terrible trade at all though.

We gave up a top line C who is assuredly going to market and getting an insane contract and got two mediocre prospects and a mid to late 1st.

This trade is a total disaster for Ottawa.

Gotta love HF thinking that two mediocre prospects and a pick is a good return for a top line C. What a farce.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Lottery pick out. Lottery pick in. Interesting possibility. Ottawa's recent transaction record is nothing if not entertaining(to everyone but Sens fans).

Edit: Just saw this. Sorry Ottawa.
Well, Columbus could collapse, win the lottery, re-sign Duchene and the the lottery two years straight for Ottawa. :naughty:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
he isnt wrong though. yeah this one isnt that bad but in general when u think about it. what is cost to acquire Duchene was way more valuable (potentially) than what the return is. if that pick becomes Jack Hughes. its a masssssive loss. Im still shocked they never got a lottery protection on that deal. but at the time. who the heck saw a decline coming. I thought the sens were going to be rock solid at that moment.
hopefully he resigns and gets you guys that 2nd 1st.

by the way I dont care about rivalry's anymore. I just want Canada to bring the cup home.

Obviously the return for a duchene deadline trade wasn't going to match what they gave up to get him. This stuff doesn't exist in a vacuum. Nobody expected the Senators to fall apart the way they did, but they did put lottery protection on the pick for last year. They made their choice last season, and now the pick is colorado's.

But its not about what they gave up anymore, or decisions they made in the past, its about what they can get moving forward. Acquiring the tools to rebuild since thats they only path they have left to take.

Yes it sucks giving a lottery pick to Colorado. It sucks a lot. And yes it sucks that they gave up so much to end up with assets from dealing a star rental. But they got a decent return for a rental, adding one, possibly two first round picks and a couple decent if not great prospects.

Its not great. . . but its ok. If they can get a better package for Stone, and something decent for Dzingle . . . they're going to have a load of first round picks in the next couple drafts, strong drafts at that, and more prospects added to an already strong prospect pool.

It is what it is . . . hopefully melnyk isn't full of shit when he says he's going to spend close to the cap in a few years and the Senators can put together a decent team.

Reactions: Oley49

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We gave up a top line C who is assuredly going to market and getting an insane contract and got two mediocre prospects and a mid to late 1st.

This trade is a total disaster for Ottawa.

Gotta love HF thinking that two mediocre prospects and a pick is a good return for a top line C. What a farce.

For a rental its not bad. Teams dealing star players never get equal value in return . . . just the way it goes. No Sens fans are happy, and no Sens fans think they came out on top after to day . . . everything considered. But given the situation, they did about as good as they possibly could in the trade and we'll see how these picks and prospects pan out.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The pick is top 3 protected....

But if it's a top 3 pick, then it slides into being a 2020 unprotected pick, right? Highly unlikely, but there is still a chance they gave a lottery pick here. Given the circumstances though, the Jackets aren't taking any big risk here though, good trade for them. You can't win if you don't even try.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
For a rental its not bad. Teams dealing star players never get equal value in return . . . just the way it goes. No Sens fans are happy, and no Sens fans think they came out on top after to day . . . everything considered. But given the situation, they did about as good as they possibly could in the trade and we'll see how these picks and prospects pan out.

I have been out and partying so please don't take this personally.

Enough with the whole "let's take our lumps and hope for the best". I get it, I really do: I don't plan on dying in the next few years so I'm going to find out what happens.

The issue is that ownership expects us to believe this is a "rebuild". f*** that noise. f*** Melnyk.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I have been out and partying so please don't take this personally.

Enough with the whole "let's take our lumps and hope for the best". I get it, I really do: I do plan on dying in the next few years so I'm going to find out what happens.

The issue is that ownership expects us to believe this is a "rebuild". **** that noise. **** Melnyk.

Well not much else to do but wait and see what happens. Rebuilds can be exciting . . . although the whole Melnyk angle puts serious doubt on what would happen even if they put together a lot of talent.

I dunno . . . next season won't be so bad, even if they're terrible (which I fully expect them to be) they'll have their pick to look forward to. And San Joses . . . maybe another from Columbus and who knows what else.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well not much else to do but wait and see what happens. Rebuilds can be exciting . . . although the whole Melnyk angle puts serious doubt on what would happen even if they put together a lot of talent.

I dunno . . . next season won't be so bad, even if they're terrible (which I fully expect them to be) they'll have their pick to look forward to. And San Joses . . . maybe another from Columbus and who knows what else.

I guess I'm just really angry for the players we still have. They have short careers and they are being told "you are not going to get any support. The only reason you are here is so Melnyk can milk you and the fans to get more money via Lebreton and expansion fees which will enable him to sell for more".

I understand that this is a competition, not everyone can win the Cup and the players are very well compensated. That doesn't change the fact that Melnyk is treating them as means to an end and trying to take our money by branding this as a rebuild.

The best players get to move on to better run franchises. The lesser than elite get absolutely f***ed in terms of achieving their goal: compete for the Cup. Not even win it; just feel like they have a chance.

It makes my blood boil!!

EDIT: I thought I was on the Sens board. This probably is not the best place for this kind of post but I don't feel like deleting or moving it.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The conditional 1st rounder is a joke. Why would Duchene re-sign to play under a psycho coach like Tortorella in boring Columbus, OH rather than hitting open market? Senators should have asked for 2 more mediocre prospects instead.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Sometimes they do. Rangers got a great haul for Nash who wasn't really much of a star anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad