Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Derek Stepan for 2021 2nd round pick

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Every time I read a trade thread like this I can't help but wonder why people make a second round pick sound like one of the single most valuable trading chips a team can part with. Like it's almost to the point where a second round pick is worth more than a 1st.

How many forward spots are now open for younger players?

Reactions: Morrison

CMayton

Dec 20, 2020
I think Stepan brings in at least a 2nd at the deadline if Ottawa decides to go that route. Center with lots of playoff experience. I know Melnyk said they won't be sellers.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Coyotes move some money off the books. Ottawa gets someone that can fill in the top 3 line centre role until some of their prospects are ready for an NHL centre role.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I kinda wonder why we made this trade that being said we could always ease in the number of rookies on the team. It’s only one year left and we can always flip him for another 2nd.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Stepan at $2m is not a bad contract.

I know the real dollars are lower which is attractive to cheap owners but there are a few vets out there who are looking for contracts that could have been had for $2M or less without giving up a 2nd.

I just don't see the point unless Stepan has a big year and they flip him for a 2nd or better at the deadline which I suppose is possible since teams love vet centers like this for playoff runs so we'll see.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Has Stepan really fallen off that much that the replies here are surprised he returned a second?

I remember him being pretty good for the Rangers.

I think he can rebound a bit on a team that isn't so offensively challenged. Unfortunately, that's probably not Ottawa.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't put a lot of faith in declining veterans.

Daymond Langkow was another pointless acquisition.

Do you mean David Legwand?

He contributed to a team that made the playoffs and then we included him in a trade that netted a 1st round pick. I know that he had a very positive impact on JG Pageau and Mark Stone off the ice, two 22 year olds who were just breaking into the league, as well.

Some people think hockey players, especially young ones, are some kind of robots. They’re kids that go to work every day. If you want to help them build good careers and succeed, having veterans around on and off the ice is valuable. It’s certainly not pointless.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Getting Stepan for a 2nd is pretty steep, but IMO he immediately becomes their #1 C.

Although older at 30, he is still better than Tierney, Brown, White and Norris at this point of their careers, can kill penalties and is decent on the draw.

Probably in the minority, but I like this move for the Sens - will be interesting to see if he can gel with Brady and Evgenii.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Some people think hockey players, especially young ones, are some kind of robots. They’re kids that go to work every day. If you want to help them build good careers and succeed, having veterans around on and off the ice is valuable. It’s certainly not pointless.

Well, you think Derek Stepan is that guy. I'm not convinced.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Well, you think Derek Stepan is that guy. I'm not convinced.

From everything I’ve heard, Stepan is excellent in the locker-room and a primary reason Dorion wanted to acquire him was to have him in the room with Logan Brown, Josh Norris and Colin White - 3 young American centres that we need to develop.

In the context of how many picks and prospects we already have, and where the team is in it’s development, it’s hard to be upset about a move like this.

It won’t win us the cup, but it certainly won’t do any harm.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
As a sens fan, I wish we paid less or added a contract dump, but meh, all Az fans keep saying what a great pk guy hes gonna be. Take the weight off the kids. So that's a plus. Still takes up a roster place from a young gun.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Good vet to have around but a 2nd? That doesnt make sense for a team still in a rebuild phase for a guy on an expiring contract. But i guess they maybe get something at the deadline for him

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Too much but they needed a center, with low actual dollars paid its a good trade for their team.

Ottawa probably doesn't finish last now though, injuries excluded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad