Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Derek Stepan for 2021 2nd round pick

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How the hell does Stepan have positive value and why the hell is Ottawa giving up a draft pick to absorb a bad contract? They could have just signed somebody like Soderberg for less dollars and the same production and vet presence essentially.

I can't imagine Stepan having more value than a 2nd in a flip and trade scenario at the deadline so I don't get it from that standpoint either.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Has Stepan really fallen off that much that the replies here are surprised he returned a second?

I remember him being pretty good for the Rangers.

He was good for the Rangers his first few years, but he was slow as molasses and could get away with it because the game wasnt as fast as it was now. Now he cant.

Reactions: Morrison

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Reasons I guess...

Seriously I can't believe Ottawa paid to take Stepan's contract.

He makes $2M in real money. Ottawa is not against the cap, so cap hit doesn’t matter.

They’re paying $2M for veteran depth on a very young team, and a guy who can provide some leadership.

With the amount of picks they had this year, and another 4 in the 1st 2 rounds next year, losing one doesn’t hurt. Especially since they can easily recoup mid-round picks by trading any of Stepan, Anisimov, Gudbranson, etc at the deadline.

You can only hoard so many prospects and picks. At some point, you need to fill out an NHL roster and try to be at least semi-competitive so you can develop young players. Ottawa is at that point.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Coyotes get a 2nd rounder, Stepan goes to Ottawa.

I'll be honest...I'm kinda shocked that we managed to move Stepan without giving up anything else, let alone getting a desperately-needed draft pick out of it. For a GM as normally-excellent as Dorion, this feels kinda out of place to get a declining Stepan and nothing extra for a second-round pick.

Surprised it wasn't Logan Brown plus a 2nd for Stepan and a 7th based on prior declining center trades he's made haha.

Reactions: Morrison

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How the hell does Stepan have positive value and why the hell is Ottawa giving up a draft pick to absorb a bad contract? They could have just signed somebody like Soderberg for less dollars and the same production and vet presence essentially.

I can't imagine Stepan having more value than a 2nd in a flip and trade scenario at the deadline so I don't get it from that standpoint either.

Stepan at $2m is not a bad contract.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Very strange, I assume Ottawa intends to flip him at the TDL and recoup the pick.

If it means giving younger players easier assignments, then I’m all for it, I just hope it doesn’t come at the expense of someone like Brown or White...

Likely too many young players on certain lines, but I would roll...

Stuetzle-Brown-Dadonov
Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Galchenyuk-Stepan-Brown
Paul-Tierney-Watson
Anisimov

Likely means Norris will spend most of the year in the A, unless L. Brown can’t hack it,

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't get it.

It's like when we got Tyler Arnason.

Really? It’s not at all the same.

When we traded Arnason we had a stacked team and were a favourite to win the cup. He was our “deadline” acquisition, which was brutal.

We’re now a very young team that will need some veteran depth and leadership to begin becoming competitive. By all accounts, Stepan is excellent in the room and can still eat minutes if any of our young guys has an off night or needs some time in the press box.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We’re now a very young team that will need some veteran depth and leadership to begin becoming competitive. By all accounts, Stepan is excellent in the room and can still eat minutes if any of our young guys has an off night or needs some time in the press box.

I don't put a lot of faith in declining veterans.

Daymond Langkow was another pointless acquisition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad