TSN: OTR interview w/ Babcock

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Love the way Babcock handles questions. Not condescending (Wilson) not willing to tackle the question head on and feel it has to be answered right away (Carlyle) but basically says things like.."ask me that 3 months from now" when it's more relevant. Doesn't throw players under a bus, just talks hockey without making it insulting to players, fans or media.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
hmhmm. hmmhmm... hmmmm.

Dion's going to be Babcock's pet project

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I'm absolutely giddy about having Babcock as our coach. He's nothing but first class in my books. As far as Dion is concerned, I think Babcock is right. I won't be at all surprised if Phaneuf has a terrific year.

There's going to be a much better system in place that will help insulate him. Team defence is going to be a big part of the new structure and that is going to help out all the defence as well as the goaltending.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Love the way Babcock handles questions. Not condescending (Wilson) not willing to tackle the question head on and feel it has to be answered right away (Carlyle) but basically says things like.."ask me that 3 months from now" when it's more relevant. Doesn't throw players under a bus, just talks hockey without making it insulting to players, fans or media.

Well said. Very happy we got Babcock.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
hmhmm. hmmhmm... hmmmm.

Dion's going to be Babcock's pet project

Bozak/Kadri will battle for no. 1 center.
Hope Nylander battles these guys as well.
Holland/Spaling for 3/4.
Arcobello might get time as well.
JVR is the constant top winger.

Phaneuf question will be asked again in 3 months.
But, we need a marquis D is pretty close to an answer.
Should be fun.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

you love that he basically didn't answer any of the tougher questions?

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
you love that he basically didn't answer any of the tougher questions?

It would have been an unwise move to actually answer those particular questions, and Babcock realizes that. The media aren't going to be able to manipulate him, and that is very refreshing. He'll answer the questions the way he sees fit, and do it in a respectful, non-combative way. Just like it should be..... professional! :nod:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Bozak/Kadri will battle for no. 1 center.
Hope Nylander battles these guys as well.
Holland/Spaling for 3/4.
Arcobello might get time as well.
JVR is the constant top winger.

Phaneuf question will be asked again in 3 months.
But, we need a marquis D is pretty close to an answer.
Should be fun.

With Kessel gone, IMO there is no Bozak/Kadri center battle. That should be GLARINGLY obvious now if it wasn't before.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
With Kessel gone, IMO there is no Bozak/Kadri center battle. That should be GLARINGLY obvious now if it wasn't before.

I agree, but I like that MB isn't writing him off. Challenge him, let him show that he has more to offer than leeching off Kessel. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I agree, but I like that MB isn't writing him off. Challenge him, let him show that he has more to offer than leeching off Kessel. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise.

I think the fight to round out the top two centers are between him, Holland and Mattias now if Bozak remains a Leaf, which is still doubtful after who whe've acquired recently once you throw Spaling and Carrick into the mix as well.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think the fight to round out the top two centers are between him, Holland and Mattias now if Bozak remains a Leaf, which is still doubtful after who whe've acquired recently once you throw Spaling and Carrick into the mix as well.

I agree, I just think that it's a nice coaching touch to simultaneously respect a vet while not guaranteeing them anything.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
He made it sound like there won't be any more trades. He said he didn't talk to anyone personally until he knew they were going to be in the roster.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As a Leafs fan, you actually want to see a battle between Kadri and Bozak for minutes as it will help Kadri be a better player and increase the trade value of Bozak.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Matthias/Winnik/Komarov-Bozak-Parenteau
Matthias/Winnik/Komarov-Holland-Panik
Matthias/Winnik/Komarov-Spaling-Arcobello

Based off Babcocks comments, that's the gut feeling I have.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
This management group (Shanny, Hunter, Dubas, Babcock) is probably more likeable than any group we've had in recent memory.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Oh Mike,

I thought you were smarter than that. Your pet project is a waste of time. Another wasted year with the fake captain. ****

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
My god Lansberg is squirrely. He looks like he's going to explode when he's not talking. Weird guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad