TSN: OTR interview w/ Babcock

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
hmhmm. hmmhmm... hmmmm.

Dion's going to be Babcock's pet project

I don't see why anyone would have an issue with that. Seems like there is no downside.

This management group (Shanny, Hunter, Dubas, Babcock) is probably more likeable than any group we've had in recent memory.

I'd have to agree.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Oh Mike,

I thought you were smarter than that. Your pet project is a waste of time. Another wasted year with the fake captain. ****

Even the most staunch Dion hater should be able to consider the value of him under babcock and essentially a new organization.

I am not saying you hold onto him but his current value is very little to negative. His value will increase next year and he can be moved with a better return.

For now we have some stability until Rielly is ready to take the reins

its win/win as far as I see it.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Oh Mike,

I thought you were smarter than that. Your pet project is a waste of time. Another wasted year with the fake captain. ****

If there's no market for him and he's going to be here should Babcock just have come out and said he's a waste of time and it'll be a wasted year? I think I'll go with Mike's opinion with this one.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Phaneuf really doesn't have to be any better, and at his age and mobility I doubt he becomes any better.

Now, if Rielly and Gardiner can take that next step, Phaneuf will become more insulated by that and players who play a 200' game around him.

I expect a lot fewer icings from missed passes to the opposition blueline to the backcheckers.

There should always be a competition for position, age shouldn't guarantee opportunity or position (young or vet).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If you expect him to be an all star, then I think you'll be disappointed.

Seems to be a problem with a few fans, there can be no in between.
An unrealistic expectation is set, it's not reached therefore the Player is garbage.

Nice to see Babcock on board with the more realistic fans among us.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm not surprised Dion and Bozak look like they are going to be Leafs to start the season.

Detroit has always been linked to liking Dion. And Bozak was on their radar too 2 summers ago, before settling on Weiss for 4.9M per.

Now that Babcock is here, it seems both are not being moved this summer.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Even the most staunch Dion hater should be able to consider the value of him under babcock and essentially a new organization.

I am not saying you hold onto him but his current value is very little to negative. His value will increase next year and he can be moved with a better return.

For now we have some stability until Rielly is ready to take the reins

its win/win as far as I see it.

This. Personally, I'm excited to see Dion play next season. I think this interview confirms he'll be back. Glad they addressed it.

I've no problem with it. Dion wasn't the problem with this team, he's not going to win with us, but what's the harm in seeing how his ability as both a player and leader increase under Babcock?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Love the way Babcock handles questions. Not condescending (Wilson) not willing to tackle the question head on and feel it has to be answered right away (Carlyle) but basically says things like.."ask me that 3 months from now" when it's more relevant. Doesn't throw players under a bus, just talks hockey without making it insulting to players, fans or media.

I wonder how he will be when Toronto's media are in full on ******** mode come mid season? And we all know they will be.........

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Seems to be a problem with a few fans, there can be no in between.
An unrealistic expectation is set, it's not reached therefore the Player is garbage.

Nice to see Babcock on board with the more realistic fans among us.

But when the coach says "best year of his career" for Dion - that implies all-star to me. I'm not expecting it Babcock is.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
But when the coach says "best year of his career" for Dion - that implies all-star to me. I'm not expecting it Babcock is.

I wasn't referring to you it was more a general comment and I didn't listen to the interview. If he said that then I agree with you on Babcocks expectation.

Playing in an All Star game is certainly not impossible, although unlikely IMO.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I wasn't referring to you it was more a general comment and I didn't listen to the interview. If he said that then I agree with you on Babcocks expectation.

My bad - sorry! I prefer agreeing :nod:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I wonder how he will be when Toronto's media are in full on ******** mode come mid season? And we all know they will be.........

I think Babcock and Dubas will do a really good job insulating this group within the media and tempering expectations. In terms of media relations, particularly from management and the coaching staff, this is the most comfortable I've been in a long time.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
In order for Phaneuf to be successful, he needs to play anywhere between 18-22 minutes. We saw over the past couple seasons that he clearly is not a 25+ minute guy. He wears down. Hopefully Babcock realizes that. If he plays 18-22 minutes a night, I believe he will be effective.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Sometime I wonder if Toews, Subban, Rusk and Perry are Playing for the Leafs. What would the media and fans say about them when they lose a game or two or didn't Win the Cup. This is given they started their career as a Leafs and not Leafs trading for them now.

Toews is over paid bc he only had 2 30goals season and never got 80pts. And how he should not be captain bc he is over rated due to lack of productions.

Perry only had one great yr with 50goals and Leafs over paid for him.....and he lost his legs and will be injured more often as he is the wrong side of 30....

Subban is only good bc of his offence, as he can't play defense.....cannot shut down the opposing top line....

Rusk is only good when the team in front of him plays well and that he is not an elite Goalie like Price.....

Really glad Babcock is in charge and can't wait he flips at Simmons.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
In order for Phaneuf to be successful, he needs to play anywhere between 18-22 minutes. We saw over the past couple seasons that he clearly is not a 25+ minute guy. He wears down. Hopefully Babcock realizes that. If he plays 18-22 minutes a night, I believe he will be effective.

I remember reading an article last season that once Dion played more then 23 mins I think it was his play tended to drop down a little bit and then even more if he ended up playing 25 mins. It wasn't the fact that he was playing mins like Duncan Keith IE 26-29 mins but the fact that his minutes were almost primarily against some of the best in the league. He didn't get a lot of favorable matchups and you have to take that into consideration when you judge his play. He didn't give up and mail it in. I think that Babcock likes and respects the hell out of him especially for that.

I think that Babcock will do everything he can to find or acquire a solid partner for Dion that plays to his strengths and weaknesses. Finally playing in a system and most likely playing on his natural side will help him immensely. His QoC has been near the top of the league the past while and with some tinkering and a solid 2nd pairing...He could end up being much more effective then a lot of people give him credit for. Didn't everyone see Dion bust his ass every night after coming back from injury?

We are starting to get deeper on D and I think that depth will help take some of the load that has been dumped on Dions shoulders and from there a solid 45 pt season along with much improved defensive stats and play isn't out of the line of reality.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

In fairness every team get's one. Phaneuf is one of our best players so I'm going to give him a 33% chance.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Babcock is much smarter then our media, they aren't going to be able to get under this guys skin and twist his words around. He chooses his words carefully and I can't wait to see him shred guys like Simmons over the next decade.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Babcock is much smarter then our media, they aren't going to be able to get under this guys skin and twist his words around. He chooses his words carefully and I can't wait to see him shred guys like Simmons over the next decade.

Wait until he gets his first 4-7 game losing streak, his tone will change.

I really like how collected he is during interviews, but his talent level is drastically different coming from Detroit.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014

They've already tried to pull a fast one on Shanny at the draft with a similar line of questioning they tossed at leaf players.

"Some say" that Kessel was blah blah blah. Shanny asked him straight to his face "Some say? Who's they?" "You don't give me a specific source I won't give you a specific answer".

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
"I think Dion is a way better player than the fans think, than the media think".

****in-A Mike

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wait until he gets his first 4-7 game losing streak, his tone will change.

I really like how collected he is during interviews, but his talent level is drastically different coming from Detroit.

The things he said about certain players over the years in Buffalo would have blown up here. Hopefully he can be a bit more levelled headed like right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: