Other Sports LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Sox aren't going to outbid the Yankees or Angels for Cole

Ace's are hard to acquire but you dont need an absolute ace to contend if you have strong unit as whole

And adding a vet bottom rotation guy is not bad thing when we have ? at bottom or rotation

I like Cease and think Lopez will bounce back but there is too much uncertainty after Gio in rotation (Add in Kopech coming back from TJ and Rodon being out until mid season)

Not having enought depth is how you end up with guys like Dylan Covey starting

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Pederson shouldn't cost that much given he has just a year left on his deal
i still remember the avg drop from a player going from nl to al.

Pederson is a lh-hitter which the sox sorely need at the moment. trade with Pitt and get Marte - while he is not a lf hitter, his ability to run the bases as a leadoff hitter would be valuable.

the 2nd player i would love is Bos - Martinez problem is like Marte he too is a rh-hitter.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Ace's are hard to acquire but you dont need an absolute ace to contend if you have strong unit as whole

And adding a vet bottom rotation guy is not bad thing when we have ? at bottom or rotation

I like Cease and think Lopez will bounce back but there is too much uncertainty after Gio in rotation (Add in Kopech coming back from TJ and Rodon being out until mid season)

you do make a valid point across the board and i somewhat agree.... but outside cole or that Mont Expo sp, i understand that the sox will be outbid there.

but don't pick up yester-year player who can't do any good.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Could Cease be used to land us young quality RF via trade? Likely Lopez would be guy they move in trade though naturally his value wouldn't be as high

Wheeler
Giolito
Kopech
Hamels
Cease/Lopez

Rodon potentially joins team midseason after recovery from his injury

Kopech is likely going to AAA to shake off the rust as he hasn't pitched in 18 months. Hahn has all but confirmed that. Plus he will likely stay down there till end of May to secure that service time year back. With all the garbage the Sox trotted out there last season cause of injuries (Covey, Despaigne, Fulmer, Detwiler, Santiago, Bañuelos, Santana, etc.) having depth is absolutely ideal and I'm personally not going to count on Rodon this season (if he does come back and looks great, then it's a bonus).

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Yep the Sox aren't getting Cole or Strasburg, so we need to hope they can sign the next best thing available - Zack Wheeler.

For an ace - honestly the Sox best hope is that one (or more) of Giolito, Kopech or Cease turn in to an ace. All of them have the stuff...we'll just have to see how they play out.

I'm not as big on Lopez as many others. I think he'll be in the pen at some point next season. Probably after Kopech comes back up.

Reactions: LDF

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The Dodgers sheltered Joc from lefties. He's a career .188 hitter against lefties. I'd rather they sign Castellanos.

70% of pitching in our division is right handed. Plus, Joc is the superior defender. Give me Joc if the ask isn't outrageous.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Dodgers sheltered Joc from lefties. He's a career .188 hitter against lefties. I'd rather they sign Castellanos.
i need to kick my self in the backside, for forgetting my guy NC.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Kopech is likely going to AAA to shake off the rust as he hasn't pitched in 18 months. Hahn has all but confirmed that. Plus he will likely stay down there till end of May to secure that service time year back. With all the garbage the Sox trotted out there last season cause of injuries (Covey, Despaigne, Fulmer, Detwiler, Santiago, Bañuelos, Santana, etc.) having depth is absolutely ideal and I'm personally not going to count on Rodon this season (if he does come back and looks great, then it's a bonus).
in everything you wrote...... it is sad but it is absolutely true.

the thing is, as it stand now, the sox DO NOT have a sp #1 kind in their rotation and the prospects haven't proven crap.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yep the Sox aren't getting Cole or Strasburg, so we need to hope they can sign the next best thing available - Zack Wheeler.

For an ace - honestly the Sox best hope is that one (or more) of Giolito, Kopech or Cease turn in to an ace. All of them have the stuff...we'll just have to see how they play out.

I'm not as big on Lopez as many others. I think he'll be in the pen at some point next season. Probably after Kopech comes back up.
i agree and with ref to lopez, he is trade bait.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Long winded post incoming lol...

This is what I wonder about the Joc Pederson thing. Bob Nightengale put this out there, and some Sox fans have thought at times that he is a shill for Sox management.

Here's where it could make sense. The Sox interest in Castellanos has been publicized. What isn't known is how many other teams are pursuing him. I haven't heard much, so I'm thinking his market might be kind of limited. There does seem to be a handful of similar corner outfielders available.

What I'm wondering is - could the Sox be having Nightengale throw this out there to push Castellanos and Boras in to making a decision? You know, put a scare in them, because they'll know if the Sox trade for Joc, then his limited market just got even smaller.

Regarding Joc himself. I did notice Soxace, that you supported sending James McCann to the Dodgers in a deal for Joc. I get that everyone wants to sell high on guys like him coming off career years. But you're opening a big can of worms if you move McCann. Because if the Sox have determined Collins isn't a catcher (which is probably the case), then you now need to find a capable backup to catch 40-50 times next year. And this is in a market which is said to be light on catchers. Who would you propose coming in as backup if McCann is moved?

On the other hand, one potentially positive development out of moving McCann would be that it sort of opens up the DH position. So if a JD Martinez can be had cheaply, you could slide him in and then the Sox lineup could downright lethal.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm with you, assuming the price isn't a lot, which it doesn't seem to be. Don't think it would hardbe to find a righty to complement him in the platoon.

The Dodgers aren't giving away a 37 HR guy for nickels and pennies. What would be their incentive to move him then? You gotta give to get. Are you guys ok if a Dunning or Stiever is sent to them for Joc? This is one of the reasons I'd rather we just sign Castellanos, and keep our young prospects.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I was hoping the Sox could snag Wheeler while the Phillies were distracted in their pursuit of Cole or Strasburg, but that might not be the case :(

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

I was hoping the Sox could snag Wheeler while the Phillies were distracted in their pursuit of Cole or Strasburg, but that might not be the case :(

this is not the time to be frugal.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Don't know much about him. I see he had a negative WAR last year. Is he really bad defensively or something?
A mix of that and him playing a lot more than a weak side of the platoon guy should. Versus LHP, he's a 160 wRC+ guy instead of 85 vs RHP.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
MLB, Braves sign Cole Hamels.

Sox - to JR do not be sooooo freaking frugal and open up and get some key players...... you do not have that many yrs left and you mention that you want to see the Sox in the playoff...... well open your freaking wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad