Pro wrestling- wwe. Yup. The gymnastics shit on AEW is just 2 fake lol
Cfl - bombers.
Nba - Twolves. Wish we had a team.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
NHL - Jets
NHL - I gotta admit I'm kind of starting to root for the Senators since this year. Watching them more and more. They feel like a feel good therapy compared to the Jets since the ASG. I like their young and hungry team and I obviously have a connection to Timmy because of knowing him since before the draft.

NBA - I'm interested and I follow the league but I have no actual team I'm a fan of. I kind of tend to follow the most interesting dynamics. Right now it is the Dallas Mavericks obviously, watching the team burn down their future by trading for Irving to make Luka happy just to see Luka being close to crying only 12 games later is fascinating to say the least from a neutral POV.

Closest thing to an actualy favorite team would probably be the Suns because I really liked their team over the last years but since they changed it so much AND traded for Durant (I don't like Kevin Durant personally, nothing against him I just don't like his style of playing basketball). I could see myself switcihing to the Cavs because of the same reasons why the Senators starting to look exciting to follow.

NFL - don't really follow, don't really care
MLB - don't really follow, don't really care

Bundesliga - Surprisingly don't follow but....
EPL - Arsenal - I'm just as much of an Arsenal fan than I am a Jets fan. Started being a fan during their unbeaten season when I was 12-13 years old and been a fan since. AND FINALLY THIS IS THE YEAR BOYS WOOOOHOOO WE'RE GOING TO MAKE IT! PRAISE ARTETA!! I'M SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY ABOUT ARSENAL THIS SEASON AFTER ALL THOSE YEARS OF BEING (PARTLY RIGHTFULLY) CALLED A BANTER CLUB LET'S GOOO BOOOYS WOOOHOOO AND SUCK IT BADLY YOU DIRTY MAN CITY FANS AROUND HERE. WHAT IS THAT EVEN? ARE YOU SERIOUSLY MANCHESTER f***ING CITY FANS? JESUS WASH YOUR f***ING FINGERS AFTER TYPING THAT. DISGUSTING!

F1 - used to follow as a kid as everyone in Germany because of Schumi but haven't been for 15 years or so. Not even during the Vettel days allthough he's from the greater area around I'm from as well (25-30 minutes driving distance)

DEL - kind of Adler Mannheim but not really to be honest. I've been to two games this season for the first time in 5-6 years and the main thing I realized was that I really don't care anymore. Which is such a weird feeling because I used to be a season ticket holder when I was 16 to 19 for 3 seasons. But man I'm just waaaay to far away and deeply into the NHL to still care about DEL hockey, I'm sorry to say that and every time I speak with people here and they know that I am a big hockey nerd I must carefully explain them that I don't give a damn about our hometown team (which is a very good team as you probably know, Seider and Stützle came from them over the last couple of years. Jochen Hecht and Marcel Goc are actually the current 2 assistant coaches of the head coach Bill Stewart as another example). And when I'm done explaining, I can see their love for the team die a little bit during the conversation, deep down I can see it in their eyes. I'm so sorry about it every time it happens but oh well.

Yeah I think that is it

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Nfl- eagles
Ncaa - recently its been Gonzaga
Mlb - not a big fan but Jays
Golf - Liv is better lol
Pro wrestling- wwe. Yup. The gymnastics shit on AEW is just 2 fake lol
Cfl - bombers.
Nba - Twolves. Wish we had a team.
The stories on AEW are kinda fun, but yes, the wrestling is unwatchable.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Mercifully now something to watch other than the Jets.
Win Twins!!! 1-0!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Hmm...

CFL - easy, Bombers though I'll confess I'm not nearly as fanatical as many others here. I absolutely admire the dedication of the fans that went through that 1992-2017 era.
NFL - Vikings. sigh. My dad was a big football fan, loved the Bombers, loved Bud Grant, loved the Vikings. Old enough to have seen the Purple People Eaters play.
MLB - Twins - just a natural offshoot of the Vikings and proximity it seems. Kirby Puckett era was a lot of fun.
NBA - was a massive basketball fan growing up and have been a Celtics fan since the days of Russel/Cousy/Havlicek. That said, I cannot stand the NBA at this point. Respect the hell out of the talent and athleticism but it has been going the way of wrestling in favor of fan excitement. So much traveling, so much carry ball, so much bs drama. Thanks to visits in Seattle and when Minneapolis got the Wolves I got to see Erving, Bird, Magic, Jordan play. All from very terrible seats.
NCAA basketball - I can still watch this and grew up a fan of Louisville largely because of Darrell Griffith. I discovered him via a jumping contest they had between him and Garth Pischke. Garth was playing for the UofM volleyball team and the national team at the time.
Golf - I'll watch the majors but would rather play.
Wrassling - always enjoyed it but never serious about it. Fun entertainment.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Got some questions for you guys about MLB fans in Winnipeg (and Manitoba as a whole) in light of the upcoming Blue Jays/Twins series.

1. Even though I know the Jays are the most popular, how much of a following do they have in Winnipeg? Especially with the Vikings being the most popular NFL team there. Did the Twins get a boost in popularity when they had Justin Morneau, a Canadian who won AL MVP for them?

2. What was the city like from 1991-1993 when both teams combined to win 3 consecutive WS? Interesting how before the Jays won B2B in 92-93, they lost to the Twins in the 91 ALCS. Fun fact, that was the first ever baseball series to be played entirely indoors.

3. Are Manitoban Jays fans known to travel down to Target Field when the Jays are there?

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Got some questions for you guys about MLB fans in Winnipeg (and Manitoba as a whole) in light of the upcoming Blue Jays/Twins series.

1. Even though I know the Jays are the most popular, how much of a following do they have in Winnipeg? Especially with the Vikings being the most popular NFL team there. Did the Twins get a boost in popularity when they had Justin Morneau, a Canadian who won AL MVP for them?

2. What was the city like from 1991-1993 when both teams combined to win 3 consecutive WS? Interesting how before the Jays won B2B in 92-93, they lost to the Twins in the 91 ALCS. Fun fact, that was the first ever baseball series to be played entirely indoors.

3. Are Manitoban Jays fans known to travel down to Target Field when the Jays are there?
1. I'd guess the Jays are the most popular team in Winnipeg and if someone follows MLB they'd be following the Jays primarily. Morneau was very popular here and definitely had lots of folks following him with the Twins. I don't think it would have affected the Twins popularity though. Winnipeggers will always travel the Cities to watch baseball, mostly for Jays games when possible, but Morneau would have been followed. Corey Koskie grew up just east of Winnipeg and played for the Twins as well. He probably drew more Winnipeggers than Morneau. Also played for the Jays briefly.

2. City loved the Jays probably more than the Twins, which follows along with #1. For me personally I was a big Kirby Puckett fan so I liked 1991 (and 1987) more, but the Jays wins would resonate more. A lot of people I knew got married during 92/93 and I recall slipping out from the hotel ballroom to the lounge to watch part of the game at several weddings. One groom got in big trouble.

3. Yup. Minneapolis is huge for Winnipeg fans. We'll travel down for NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL games. Usually a good contingent of Jets fans at Wild games.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Don't follow any other NA leagues aside from NHL.

In rugby I'm a Wellington Hurricanes fan even though they're not my local club. We tend to produce amazing All Blacks but are very mid as a team.
UBB and Aviron Bayonnais in French rugby.
Dream World Cup final this year is Ireland-France, don't mind if NZ takes a step back.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Big Winnipeg team guy.

Jets and Bombers (and NHL/CFL generally) are the main course of my sports diet. The ICE and WHL were right up there along with them too for a while, but alas.

Got into the Sea Bears this past season and went to about half the games. I enjoy the Moose but I don't follow them super-closely, although I usually attend a handful of games a year.

I always try to make it out to watch and support the other Winnipeg teams at least a couple times a year each, i.e. Valour FC, Goldeyes, Winnipeg Blues, Winnipeg Freeze, Bison football/basketball/hockey.

I can't really get into leagues with no local presence. I have watched maybe four complete NFL games in my life start-to-finish, and two of those were games I attended in person.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
1. I'd guess the Jays are the most popular team in Winnipeg and if someone follows MLB they'd be following the Jays primarily. Morneau was very popular here and definitely had lots of folks following him with the Twins. I don't think it would have affected the Twins popularity though. Winnipeggers will always travel the Cities to watch baseball, mostly for Jays games when possible, but Morneau would have been followed. Corey Koskie grew up just east of Winnipeg and played for the Twins as well. He probably drew more Winnipeggers than Morneau. Also played for the Jays briefly.
I find the Jays' popularity in Winnipeg baffling. I could never bring myself to cheer for a Rogers-owned Toronto team when there are 29 other MLB teams to choose from, including a non-Rogers, non-Toronto team less than half the distance away in the Twin Cities. Give me the Twins or Dodgers any day over the Jays.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
NHL - I'll be a Jets fan again once they get rid of their shit management. Pens but don't really follow NHL since we don't have cable.
CFL - Bombers
NFL - Vikings
MLB - used to be a Twins fan, but you can't help but love the Jays. Love Vladdy.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
NHL: Jets #1, Sens #2. I live in Ottawa

CFL: RedBlacks. I jumped ship from the Bombers when Ottawa got a team back. Bombers were atrocious then & I figured if I didn't support the local team, we'd lose the CFL here for a third time. This may have been short-sighted, but I'm sticking to it.

NHL: Saints. Visited NOLA in high school right around the time I started taking an interest in the NFL

PGA: Rory & any Canadian doing well at the moment.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I find the Jays' popularity in Winnipeg baffling. I could never bring myself to cheer for a Rogers-owned Toronto team when there are 29 other MLB teams to choose from, including a non-Rogers, non-Toronto team less than half the distance away in the Twin Cities. Give me the Twins or Dodgers any day over the Jays.

Yeah I never quite got that either.

For baseball I've been a Royals fan since I was a kid (George Brett, then Bo Jackson, was quite a combination). Kansas City is pretty far away from Winnipeg, but it's a lot closer than Toronto is.

Just to go through the original question, in approximate order of importance...

CFL: Bombers. D'uh
MLB: Royals
NFL: Vikings (proximity)
NCAA FB: Gophers (same)
International events: Canada, then Ukraine

soccer: to be clear not that I watch the games, but in that I vaguely care about the results - Seville (Spain) and Bahia (Brazil). Never managed to latch on to a EPL team organically.

NBA: lots of respect for the sport, but I just don't care personally.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
God the Blue Jays have been hard to watch this year. Completely anti clutch hitting, kind of like watching the Jets trying to score back half of last year.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
NHL Jets
MLB Jays
PGA Rory Mcilroy
CFL Bombers
NFL my fantasy football teams

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Apparently Blue Jays pitcher Erik Swanson is from ND and is a Jets fan
1696379152918.png

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I've always loved the 49rs - very rhythmic, white collar team. ( NFL)

Also always loved the Packers - I guess their my close to home NFL team, and over the last 30 years, always at, or near the top.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Out here in the Pacific NW I’ve heard similar sentiments from British Columbians who cheer for the Mariners instead of Blue Jays.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
After years away from following MLB, I decided to root for the Braves this year (I lived in ATL for 10 years). Previously I was a HUGE Blue Jays fan in the 90s when I was playing competitive ball myself. My hatred for all things TO had engulfed even the Jay's.

Ironically, I had no idea how good the Braves were this year before starting to follow them. Turns out I picked a good time to hop on the bandwagon

I could probably clear some space on said bandwagon for all the Jays fans if needed

Reactions: UFO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad