OT: Other Sports 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
And it's making me hate Krause and Reinsdorf even more.
Watching this makes me want new ownership for the Sox badly. Sadly, the Bulls will remain in Michael Reinsdorf's hands.

If we get out of the Covid stuff and the Sox go on and do great things in the years to come, I'd imagine that things will go down similarly if JR is still running things.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Krause comes off like a prick but so does Scotty. Basketball isn’t football. Contracts are guaranteed. He took way too little early but he had guaranteed money coming in. That’s on his agent and himself.

Krause comes off as the guy who doesn’t want to sign Q after 15 and tells everyone that even if the Blackhawks win in 16 it’ll be Q’s last year. It’s like having Messier and Gretzky under contract and wanting to rebuild regardless. It’s next level stupid.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Egos all around. Bulls don't win 6 titles without Krause getting pippen, grant, rodman and others. But damn Jerry I was a bit to young to care about his press conferences. Just shut the hell up and enjoy the team that's winning you championships.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I assume documentary is very pro-Jordan biased and isn't pointing out his role in downfall of Bulls?

Last ESPN discussion on subject proved absurdly pro-Jordan

I mean, I only watched the first episode... but the front office was monumentally idiotic to determine they were going to disassemble the team and coach when those guys were still playing at a high level. I mean... telling Phil Jackson that he was only getting a one year deal, and that would be his last year as the coach, before the season even starts? :facepalm: Deciding to break up the team and rebuild it when they were playing at a level high enough to win a Championship? :facepalm:

What was Jordan's role in the downfall, according to you?

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I haven't watched it yet, and I can't wait, but I've always thought that the team went their separate ways at the right time. Getting past the Pacers took every ounce of energy the Bulls had in '98, and it was one of the only two moments during the whole run that I thought it was possible they may actually lose (the other being down 2-0 against the Knicks in '93). With Jordan advancing in age, it's far from certain they would have won against the Duncan/Robinson Spurs or Kobe/Shaq Lakers in the subsequent years.

The missed opportunity was 94/95 when they were a better team than the Rockets, although Hakeem is an all time great and Cassell was a very underrated pg.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I mean, I only watched the first episode... but the front office was monumentally idiotic to determine they were going to disassemble the team and coach when those guys were still playing at a high level. I mean... telling Phil Jackson that he was only getting a one year deal, and that would be his last year as the coach, before the season even starts? :facepalm: Deciding to break up the team and rebuild it when they were playing at a level high enough to win a Championship? :facepalm:

What was Jordan's role in the downfall
?

The drama had been going on for years and as it's highlighted in the doc, started a bit when he broke his foot. I think this doc is doing a decent job of telling the story from all parties although Krause didn't have a current interview. I remember when the Bulls drafted Kukoc and Pippen and Jordan made it their personal vendetta to humiliate the guy. Making fat jokes in the open about your GM and blasting him on the team bus is just poor taste.

Reinsdorf should have replaced his GM and tried to make it work. Krause did put that team together but ultimately they took out their frustration on the guy, he just was not a likeable guy. Egos, money, ect. Pippen signed a bad deal and that was on him, he took it out on the team.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I assume documentary is very pro-Jordan biased and isn't pointing out his role in downfall of Bulls?

Last ESPN discussion on subject proved absurdly pro-Jordan

It wasn't. You have moments in it with Jordan at his worst. Still doesn't mean the right move is to shun the best player that ever played. The one thing I don't agree with on Jordan is.... he thought he always had a say on the coach. "If Phil goes, I go.." It puts management in a terrible situation.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The drama had been going on for years and as it's highlighted in the doc, started a bit when he broke his foot. I think this doc is doing a decent job of telling the story from all parties although Krause didn't have a current interview. I remember when the Bulls drafted Kukoc and Pippen and Jordan made it their personal vendetta to humiliate the guy. Making fat jokes in the open about your GM and blasting him on the team bus is just poor taste.

Reinsdorf should have replaced his GM and tried to make it work. Krause did put that team together but ultimately they took out their frustration on the guy, he just was not a likeable guy. Egos, money, ect. Pippen signed a bad deal and that was on him, he took it out on the team.

I'm aware Jordan could be an asshole. But being an asshole is not a reason to break apart a championship team and coach. I know he had drama surrounding him. Justifiably so. He's one of the top 5 greatest athletes of all time, in any sport in the world... he gets a little leeway in that department. I'm not saying he was right in cracking the jokes, and constantly messing with Krause btw...
And yes, Krause does not seem like a likable guy in the least. Like was said early in the first episode... he had little man syndrome. I know these types. They're insufferable.
And do you really believe he shouldn't have input on the coach? I mean... come on. Your star athletes will always have opinions that are valued by the organization when it comes to the coach.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm aware Jordan could be an asshole. But being an asshole is not a reason to break apart a championship team and coach. I know he had drama surrounding him. Justifiably so. He's one of the top 5 greatest athletes of all time, in any sport in the world... he gets a little leeway in that department. I'm not saying he was right in cracking the jokes, and constantly messing with Krause btw...
And yes, Krause does not seem like a likable guy in the least. Like was said early in the first episode... he had little man syndrome. I know these types. They're insufferable.
And do you really believe he shouldn't have input on the coach? I mean... come on. Your star athletes will always have opinions that are valued by the organization when it comes to the coach.

He should have input on the coach but he should not have put the ultimatum on it, "Phil goes, I go.." I don't care for that tactic. Michael was also pushing to own a piece of the team around this time IIRC.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He should have input on the coach but he should not have put the ultimatum on it, "Phil goes, I go.." I don't care for that tactic. Michael was also pushing to own a piece of the team around this time IIRC.

I'm not a big fan of it, either, but again, he's Michael Jordan... he wanted to play for Phil, and as far as I know, there really wasn't any reason to not keep Phil. Although it's said that Phil wanted to leave, and had a 7 year theory, one that he pretty much followed with every organization after the Bulls. The Bulls were the exception. I'm sure we'll get more details throughout the rest of the doc, but it seems like Phil and Michael needed to get on the same page, also, as history kind of says that Phil actually wanted to leave... I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out in the doc, though. I was too young for a lot of this to really grasp how it all functioned, and how it went down. It was back when I was concerned with playing baseball and hockey, and not really paying much attention to the FO side of things, considering I was like the ages of 6-14 through the Championship run.

Me and my fiance watched just the first episode last night, and it hooked us both really quickly. Excited for the rest of it.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Things I forgot:
1. Pippen's early season surgery
2. Scottie Pippen in-season trade request
3. the Bulls starting 4-4, and somehow winning 62 games by the end of the season.

I was 11, so whatever, but as big of an NBA fan as I was I thought I would have remembered that stuff.
In the mid to late 90s I only liked winter sports. Bears and Sox sucked, so I didn't care that much.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Krause actually did a masterful job with Pippen, from identifying him out of nowhere, trading for him at the draft, building the team such that Pippen would essentially function as the team's point guard, and finally allowing another team to massively overpay Pippen for his twilight years.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
One of the greatest moments during this season and some of the previous ones. Rodman would often find himself with the ball outside the 3 PT line unguarded. The crowd would start this murmur of "shoot it" every time getting louder and louder. He would often fire one-off and when he made them, the place would just erupt like it was the game-ender. It was just hilarious and well before forwards took 3 pointers on a regular basis. Michael and Scottie would be laughing their asses off on the bench.

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
One of the greatest moments during this season and some of the previous ones. Rodman would often find himself with the ball outside the 3 PT line unguarded. The crowd would start this murmur of "shoot it" every time getting louder and louder. He would often fire one-off and when he made them, the place would just erupt like it was the game-ender. It was just hilarious and well before forwards took 3 pointers on a regular basis. Michael and Scottie would be laughing their asses off on the bench.
I was at a game like this in '98, Bulls were 2 pts away from winning us a free taco when Rodman hit his first 3. Place went bananas, he then hit a second 3 the next trip down and then the third 3 he hit was ruled that he stepped out of bounds. Crazy fun. It was the only game I went to that year.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I was at a game like this in '98, Bulls were 2 pts away from winning us a free taco when Rodman hit his first 3. Place went bananas, he then hit a second 3 the next trip down and then the third 3 he hit was ruled that he stepped out of bounds. Crazy fun. It was the only game I went to that year.

Here is the game you were at, 1st video

Reactions: Schitty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad