OT: Other Sports 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
So basically the Bulls brought in a hired gun (i.e. AK) to fire Gar. Suggesting they likely knew Gar was a problem but didn't have the stones to can him themselves.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Idk if there are other PGA fans here, but I really enjoy watching tournaments where the best players are playing outside of Majors. I really wish I could afford to actually learn to play myself. I've dabbled in it, but it's just too cost prohibitive.

Golf is the one sport that can get away with this. Players are usually nowhere near each other except on the tee and at the green.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Idk if there are other PGA fans here, but I really enjoy watching tournaments where the best players are playing outside of Majors. I really wish I could afford to actually learn to play myself. I've dabbled in it, but it's just too cost prohibitive.

Golf is the one sport that can get away with this. Players are usually nowhere near each other except on
the tee and at the green.

Besides the players and their caddies, not many people are needed to run a tournament. Especially without fans being present. rules officials and people keeping track of scores.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I'd have to imagine it requires a ton of other personnel if they are planning to broadcast though. It's not like an arena event where everything is focused on one small area, these courses are all spread out and generally require a fair bit of construction.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If there's a sport open to quarantine play, it's golf. Just have a golfer and his caddy on each hole one at a time and have them cycle through on a slower pace version of the normal with no crowds and just cameramen spread all over the place.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Golf is the one sport that can get away with this. Players are usually nowhere near each other except on the tee and at the green.

Golf is not as expensive as you think. Buy a used set of clubs and for to cheap tracks and you can make it affordable.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Golf is not as expensive as you think. Buy a used set of clubs and for to cheap tracks and you can make it affordable.
I've tried. It's about learning the game properly and keeping your swing in good shape. I've tried to learn how to swing myself and I suck at it. Can't be anything but a hack that holds up the line at the course without lessons. Then after that it's $20-25 bucks a week to keep your swing in good shape.

Also, equipment matters. I've got a cheap set of clubs that are kinda old and they suck.
Not to mention that my 6-iron fell out of my bag while playing 18 once, never to be found again.

I have other hobbies that are expensive as well that I'd rather spend my money on.

I'm attracted to sports/hobbies that are lifelong pursuits, so that's why I invested some time in it. I was lucky to get hand-me-down clubs, but after losing some on the course, it's annoying.

If I'm still able to start this new job when this bullshit is over, then maybe I'll be able to reconsider.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Lessons are expensive. It's very hard to not be embarrassingly bad without them.

I have never really taken lessons and I shoot in the low to mid 80s. Working on your swing can be done with little cost. Foam balls in your backyard and you are set. YouTube is a great teaching tool now for golf. If you have some athletic ability you should be able to golf decently (80-90s).

I have 2 buddies who didn't start playing till after college who both shoot in the mid 70's and have never taken a lesson.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I have never really taken lessons and I shoot in the low to mid 80s. Working on your swing can be done with little cost. Foam balls in your backyard and you are set. YouTube is a great teaching tool now for golf. If you have some athletic ability you should be able to golf decently (80-90s).

I have 2 buddies who didn't start playing till after college who both shoot in the mid 70's and have never taken a lesson.

That's very impressive, but also I think atypical.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
YouTube really is an incredible resource though. I'm taking some online college level math courses right now and the quality of instruction I've found on YouTube compared to the actual class is incredible.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
If there's a sport open to quarantine play, it's golf. Just have a golfer and his caddy on each hole one at a time and have them cycle through on a slower pace version of the normal with no crowds and just cameramen spread all over the place.

Bryson DeChambeau will take care of that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I have a feeling they are not going to make Jerry Krause look very good.
Actually, based on what was said on the Score today, it seems like Jordan is going to be the villain of the story.
In order of villainy, based on my guess:
Jordan
Krause
Jackson

I honestly don't know what Phil Jackson did or didn't do, but it actually wouldn't surprise me if Krause looks like the victim in all of this that got a bum rap.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Actually, based on what was said on the Score today, it seems like Jordan is going to be the villain of the story.
Jordan
Krause
Jackson

I honestly don't know what Phil Jackson did or didn't do, but it actually wouldn't surprise me if Krause looks like the victim in all of this that got a bum rap.
Toward the end of their run, I always felt like Phil had an eye on his next move--would he/wouldn't he move on to the next high-end talent ready to win multiple titles that would welcome his style of coaching. It was a bit of an annual off-season sideshow.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Actually, based on what was said on the Score today, it seems like Jordan is going to be the villain
of the story.
Jordan
Krause
Jackson

I honestly don't know what Phil Jackson did or didn't do, but it
actually wouldn't surprise me if Krause looks like the victim in all of this that got a bum rap.

Always thought Krause took to much crap from media fans and players.

Reactions: clydesdale line

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Don't currently have ESPN, canceled Hulu Live for the time being with no sports. Hoping to be able to sign into my dad's Xfinity account, but I've had issues in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad